Ground Combat/Starbase Combat

Well, this is a pretty big suggestion that I doubt anyone will be able to answer instantly.

Combat is all about the stars. Basically, if you land on a planet base/star base, you're there to trade or pick up missions. Your avatar doesn't really serve much of a purpose beyond that.

What I got to thinking was... What if you could land, and your character can actually fight?

I'm talking about actually landing in say, an infected star base or some kind of place on a planet (perhaps make areas that look like land? As if you're not actually in a base, but free?) and monsters roam about.

This would be a pretty heavy modification, but it wouldn't be anything you don't already do while in space. If you looped the "No way" animation where the character sticks his hand out, you could easily edit in a gun, or something similar, and beam weapons/missile weapons already have all the required animations.

Basically, missions would revolve around problems you can't just fight while in a starship. This would be a pretty crazy thing to experiment with, but I think the idea could really go over well if things were able to look "good", and not just tacked together.

What do you guys think?

Would you like the idea of entering a pirate Starbase, and hiding around corners, shooting down enemies on foot?

This idea would really mix up combat and give people a lot more to do that isn't just like, kiting and fighting the same space monsters forever.

Perhaps if this idea is too complex, something else could be done with your character/avatar that involves more than buying and selling items?

I have no idea of the technical ramifications of this, because it seems like it would just copying over the Starship controls to your avatar, aka, you have a personal shield generator, a health bar, and weapons and abilities on the ground.

Edit:

Back in live, I always had the idea that Earth and Beyond could be about two entirely separate areas of play, play on the ground, and play in the stars. Such as an inventory for your starship, and an inventory for your character, the inventory for your character would be complete with guns and armor and whatnot. And that you could go off in space and do whatever you wanted, then land on a planet and go off and enter cities and fight monsters, etc.

I realize that fantasy will probably never come to fruition, but something similar could, maybe? It seems like an idea a lot of people would go for!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The idea itself is fine, its kind of what Star Trek Online has done, however, it would need extensive modification of the client, to the point that we'd be making almost an enire new game, out of the EnB client, which is something thats trying to be avoided when possable.

It probably could be done, but I don't think its something that would be in the near future.

Definitely not Star Trek Online, haha.

That game is horrendous!

Edit:

So, I've been told to go play eve, and now star trek online, haha. I'm starting to wonder why this is called a suggestions thread! If you don't like the idea, can't you tell me more than just "STO did it" or "Eve" , so we can be more constructive?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Definitely not Star Trek Online, haha.

That game is horrendous!

So, I've been told to go play eve, and now star trek online, haha. I'm starting to wonder why this is called a suggestions thread! If you don't like the idea, can't you tell me more than just "STO did it" or "Eve" , so we can be more constructive?

actually, I was not saying you should go play sto... what I meant was what you described reminded me of sto and was not sure if you had ever tried sto or not... so I just tossed it out there as something that I thought might interest you,as many of us play more than one game at a time :D

I really had no good suggestion for the same reason suricata described... but since you did make the suggestion, like I said, I thought I might be able to offer something of interest to you in another game that I was not sure if you had tried...

actually, I was not saying you should go play sto... what I meant was what you described reminded me of sto and was not sure if you had ever tried sto or not... so I just tossed it out there as something that I thought might interest you,as many of us play more than one game at a time :D

I really had no good suggestion for the same reason suricata described... but since you did make the suggestion, like I said, I thought I might be able to offer something of interest to you in another game that I was not sure if you had tried...

Well good!

I was thinking you were just trying to say "Screw your idea" or something.

Well, I play a bunch of games, but... I don't really like STO, and I don't think this suggestion should make the game like STO. To be honest, haha, if this made it anything like STO then forget it.

I guess there would only be a few spots like this, I dont think the suggestion should be to make it like, a huge part of the game or anything. STO is entirely based around the ground combat stuff, not to mention its space combat sucks anyway.

• Upvote 1

STO had potential, but yeah, I killed more people in STO in my progression to Rear Admiral than I dare to think, not to mention all the accolades (achievements) in that game are all about doing damage or killing different factions, which doesn't really seem fitting for a Trek game, I still chuckle inside when I think about the 'kill the unborn babies' mission, I mean seriously, a mission to kill unborn babies in a Trek game? ROFL

Star Trek itself is kind of mixed up. The whole idea behind the "5 year mission" was to explore new worlds not to kill everything. But all it ever ended up being was Kirk's mate/kill tactics. He either killed it or had sex with it (or both depending on the episode). Since they couldn't implement the mating tactic into the online version of the game, it just turned into kill everything.

Honestly can't say I find the idea appealing. When I think of 'my char' I think of the ship first...char later. I like spending time in my shiny pimped out space ship with rear spoiler and dual wielded cup holders.

My char on the other hand...she's ~ok~ looking. Bit of a midget. Low polly...necks a bit odd...runs funny...like her shoes though. I honestly can't imagine her with guns strapped to her hands...she looks more fit to be wielding a lolly pop with the color scheme I chose. Star bases for the most part are rather unexciting layout...though sniping people from the disco room in Joves would be funny. I realize these things can be changed....but only with a MAJOR redo on the client. That being said...it's probably impossible for things like this. ;;

Essentially, all the pretty graphics went into space and the char is more of just an interface to act with vendors. It would be nice to see more things to involve the char aspect more, but honestly speaking...I'd rather see development in the 'pretty places' than with the 'bleh' stations at least for now. Char's did have more interactions during live due to the community and missing content though (dance contests, gambling stations, guild parties, Simon says emote contests, so on). Wouldn't mind to see some mini games npc run... like Simon says...party talks to npc, npc commands, people in party try to perform in 10s or less, winner gets small cash price. Would probably be hell to program though so I prefer the effort to go towards something more meaningful then 'just amusement'.

However...I the one thing that does appeal to me about this idea is the fact I'd be able to get into a fist fight with vrix for taking over our star bases. Well...once they added I mean.

Oh one thing I've always wanted to see added to star bases is seeing other ships in that empty dock next to you. Just randomly select a ship from a player landed and display it...chance to oogle other peoples rides up close. I'm beginning to think I have a ship fetish.

Honestly can't say I find the idea appealing. When I think of 'my char' I think of the ship first...char later. I like spending time in my shiny pimped out space ship with rear spoiler and dual wielded cup holders.

My char on the other hand...she's ~ok~ looking. Bit of a midget. Low polly...necks a bit odd...runs funny...like her shoes though. I honestly can't imagine her with guns strapped to her hands...she looks more fit to be wielding a lolly pop with the color scheme I chose. Star bases for the most part are rather unexciting layout...though sniping people from the disco room in Joves would be funny. I realize these things can be changed....but only with a MAJOR redo on the client. That being said...it's probably impossible for things like this. ;;

However...I the one thing that does appeal to me about this idea is the fact I'd be able to get into a fist fight with vrix for taking over our star bases. Well...once they added I mean.

Right!

See, I was worried in a previous post I made about the graphics of the game, especially in the character aspect. But they aren't TOO bad if everything is maxed out, and I don't think they were ever truly intended for anything other than placeholders for basic interactions anyway, but I digress.

Getting in a fist fight with Vrix, haha, how sweet does that sound? Docking onto their ship, going in, and beating the shit out of them.

I realize starbases are rather lackluster, and this is actually one of the reasons I came up with this idea. They need more to them, more reason to be there in certain areas, more of a chance for danger around every turn, more of a chance for a random NPC to attack your character for credits or something.

Even if ground based combat can't be done, I would like to see something with character interaction or star bases done, you know what I mean? But in all honesty, the idea of ground combat really does add a lot of spark to getting out of your ship.

Edit:

And I've ALWAYS wished you could see other peoples starships in the docks, since live.

• Upvote 2

This has probably been said already in this thread, but I figured I'd pop my head in and rain on everyone's parade. Unfortunately, this would require client modification, which is far beyond our capabilities since we don't have the source code.

Sorry :)

It might be possible to make other ships visible in the docks though, although I'm not sure if we could show other player's ships and I think it'd be a big project.

• Upvote 1

I've thought about this for ages, and the only thing I can come up with without client modification is being able to use the 'judo' move on other players. With a successfully executed 'judo', the other player would then stumble around and vomit, sit down, or chuckle depending on levels of players.

Not exactly what you're after I know, but it's more in line with the spirit of E&B.

I'm not sure if the female characters have 'judo' so I guess they could use the 'backflip' move, that looks fairly dangerous anwyay.

I've thought about this for ages, and the only thing I can come up with without client modification is being able to use the 'judo' move on other players. With a successfully executed 'judo', the other player would then stumble around and vomit, sit down, or chuckle depending on levels of players.

Not exactly what you're after I know, but it's more in line with the spirit of E&B.

I'm not sure if the female characters have 'judo' so I guess they could use the 'backflip' move, that looks fairly dangerous anwyay.

lol, it would at least be a good source of humor.

Only Male toons can Judo. Female toons instead get Flip, Pirouette, and Rumpshake. Male toons get Judo, Moonwalk, and D'oh.

Only Male toons can Judo. Female toons instead get Flip, Pirouette, and Rumpshake. Male toons get Judo, Moonwalk, and D'oh.

So, can we add in weapons in the characters hand, like a melee knife or something for judo? Then add in damage?

Wa la.

I mean, could that work without being corny?

• Upvote 1

So, can we add in weapons in the characters hand, like a melee knife or something for judo? Then add in damage?

Wa la.

I mean, could that work without being corny?

Both sexes can shoot. It's only the last 3 emotes that are gender specfic. Race and Gender effects how they shoot (and most of the other emotes). A Progen woman doing the shoot emote is much more "animated" than a Jenquai male doing the same one.

Both sexes can shoot. It's only the last 3 emotes that are gender specfic. Race and Gender effects how they shoot (and most of the other emotes). A Progen woman doing the shoot emote is much more "animated" than a Jenquai male doing the same one.

Interesting...

• Upvote 1

<sigh> you wanna give them knives?

It _could_ be done as a way of settling disputes but really restricting it would be a nightmare. I don't think the majority of players would want this mod, unless it was specifically restricted to (say) somewhere like one of the out-of-the-way Progen outposts, where players are warned on entering:

"Arx Emporos Spaceport: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. You must be cautious."

Wa La? What is that? Do you mean, "Voilà":)) ?

It _could_ be done as a way of settling disputes but really restricting it would be a nightmare. I don't think the majority of players would want this mod, unless it was specifically restricted to (say) somewhere like one of the out-of-the-way Progen outposts, where players are warned on entering:

"Arx Emporos Spaceport: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. You must be cautious."

Or the Tuesday night Knife Fights in the Lounge in QAR, well if QAR actually had a lounge.

Wa la. Haha.

No, I was talking about making it more combat oriented, against some monster spawn in side Spaceports, not really PvP.

• Upvote 1

No, I was talking about making it more combat oriented, against some monster spawn in side Spaceports, not really PvP.

Oh I see... Well ... the only NPC walking monster asset we have is a vrix, and the only areas we can have walking are starbases, but I guess we could have starbases in the future where there are monsters wandering about if we can get people to design new NPC assets, but currently the combat would be clumsy with emotes.

If we can get new monster assets, and if we can work out how to tie emotes to keys, then maybe ...

Solution: NPC chat box battle! Imagine the following conversation tree...(you might need to read my earlier post for some of the references).

Vrix decoder ring for those its been to long: A=1, E=2, I=3, O=4, U=5, Y=6 ...they don't believe in spacing either.

a) Vrix: 1LL645RB1S21R2B2L4NGT456

option 1: /punch (emote if selected go to B )

option 2: /Hire Mr T. Progen to do it for you (-1,000 and go to f)

B ) Vrix: 4WWW!

option 1: /kick (emote judo/flip then go to c)

option 2: Apologize then karate chop (emote bow then judo/flip then go to c)

c) Vrix: /SL1P!

option 1: evade (emote something evasive looking then go to d)

option 2: take the hit like a man! (stager motion and go to d)

d) Vrix: 645C1NTW3N!

option 1: /stab with lolly pop (emote and go to B )

option 2: Taunt back with '1N6TH3NG645C1ND43C3ND4B2TT2R!' (emote air guitar! and go to e)

e) Vrix: 3LLN2V2RS52ND2R!

option 1: /gnaw ankles! (emote and go to f)

option 2: Tell him his mom wares army boots. (emote and go to c)

f) Vrix: 4WW4WW4WWWW!4K3G3V2

option 1: /let him off the hook but take his lunch money (earn 15c, end conversation, earn 10 combat xp!)

option 2: /beat him up some more (emote and go to B )

...hey its at least slightly better than the old black and white text games! :)

Edited by Raptorred

Oh I see... Well ... the only NPC walking monster asset we have is a vrix, and the only areas we can have walking are starbases, but I guess we could have starbases in the future where there are monsters wandering about if we can get people to design new NPC assets, but currently the combat would be clumsy with emotes.

If we can get new monster assets, and if we can work out how to tie emotes to keys, then maybe ...

Bingo.

This was pretty much what I was talking about, but on a larger scale.

This has probably been said already in this thread, but I figured I'd pop my head in and rain on everyone's parade. Unfortunately, this would require client modification, which is far beyond our capabilities since we don't have the source code.

Sorry :D

It might be possible to make other ships visible in the docks though, although I'm not sure if we could show other player's ships and I think it'd be a big project.

Nothing to be sorry about - I'm glad to hear it!