Merlin's Ore Field Report

Hello,

As promised, I am attaching a report of what sectors I have done and which sector the ores are in. I tried to post the report in this message but looked like an untrained monkey did it! I will say that the sectors as far as the ore fields go's will look a bit different.

Here are some simple rules to follow when it comes to the sectors I have done:

1. Each field has only one (1) class of Rock in it. The classes are Asteroids, Crystals, Glowing Rocks, Gas Clouds & Hydrocarbons. The reason for only having 1 class pre field is to make it easier for the players to get clear field bonuses.

2. Different fields will sometimes over lap each other. If you see different classes of rocks it meens there is more then one field.

3. All group members now get field clear bonus, but not empty rock bonus.

4. Ore field mobs are now navtive to sectors! Also mobs are more ballanced for the level of a ore field. You will find some fields still

have Manes, but not many.

5. Lvl 2 Helium should not be showing up in the sectors I have done unless it is a lvl 2 or 3 Gas Cloud. If you find any lvl 2 Helium

where it does not belong please tell me when you can.

6. Remember, this is just a list of the sectors I have completed! You will still find these ores in the other sectors as you always have.

Ok that is about it. Again sorry I could not post the report, but you would problie want it on your computer anyway. TTYL :-)

Merlin

FORMS.TXT

FORMS.TXT

• Upvote 3

Hello,

Since the push did not go thru like I was told it would I went ahead and finished Regnarok which was the last sector in Aragoth. Here is the updated Orelist ORELIST.TXT

With finishing this sector I will now be moving on to the Terran sectors and hopefully with the next push will have them done. Sorry about the confussen and at this moment the push has not happened yet, but should at any time. Once they push the new data to the play server all the changes I made will take affect. Happy hunting! TTYL :-)

Merlin

ORELIST.TXT

Hello,

Since the push did not go thru like I was told it would I went ahead and finished Regnarok which was the last sector in Aragoth. Here is the updated Orelist ORELIST.TXT

With finishing this sector I will now be moving on to the Terran sectors and hopefully with the next push will have them done. Sorry about the confussen and at this moment the push has not happened yet, but should at any time. Once they push the new data to the play server all the changes I made will take affect. Happy hunting! TTYL :-)

Merlin

Gosh I don't think any of us that mine feel you have anything to apologize for. When the push happens we will all get to enjoy the fruits of your labor - thank you!

Gosh I don't think any of us that mine feel you have anything to apologize for. When the push happens we will all get to enjoy the fruits of your labor - thank you!

Agreed, Thank you, Mr Merlin for your work on the orefields.

I think the new ore fields look great, I just have one concern. I don't think I would necessarily characterize it as a bug, but when you are around cl20 or so, one of the nice places to go to gain combat xp is Sheperd hunting lvl 20 scuttlebugs. I can't remember the name of the nav its just northeast of shep 6 or something, but that used to be a decent place that spawned 2 or 3 scuttlebugs at a time (and an occassional 25 RD, but not a major concern, I was usually able to just kite them away from the rest of the mobs and take it out one on one). But now there is a huge ore field in that spot (I believe there was an ore field there before but not quite as big as the one thats there now) that is being guarded by 2 lvl 31 Manes. As a cl23 PP, I could probably take on 1 of them at a time and possibly both of them if I use just one weapon and keep spamming my shield recharge, but when you have both of them, plus a couple or 3 scuttlebugs and then possibly a 25 RD comes along, its no longer a good spot to gain combat xp for cl 20ish.

I was just wondering if you took into account the levels of the mobs that already existed around the places you were putting ore fields before you decided which level of guardian to put there. I haven't been around with my JE yet, but I was concerned about the opposite problem happening. If you happen to put any lower level ore fields near any navs that higher level mobs already spawned at. I guess that is always a concern with mining, but I would hate to have my cl10 JE going through a field, fighting off some cl 8 guardian mobs and have a cl30 whatever come by and one-shot me before I have a chance to escape.

I think the new ore fields look great, I just have one concern. I don't think I would necessarily characterize it as a bug, but when you are around cl20 or so, one of the nice places to go to gain combat xp is Sheperd hunting lvl 20 scuttlebugs. I can't remember the name of the nav its just northeast of shep 6 or something, but that used to be a decent place that spawned 2 or 3 scuttlebugs at a time (and an occassional 25 RD, but not a major concern, I was usually able to just kite them away from the rest of the mobs and take it out one on one). But now there is a huge ore field in that spot (I believe there was an ore field there before but not quite as big as the one thats there now) that is being guarded by 2 lvl 31 Manes. As a cl23 PP, I could probably take on 1 of them at a time and possibly both of them if I use just one weapon and keep spamming my shield recharge, but when you have both of them, plus a couple or 3 scuttlebugs and then possibly a 25 RD comes along, its no longer a good spot to gain combat xp for cl 20ish.

I was just wondering if you took into account the levels of the mobs that already existed around the places you were putting ore fields before you decided which level of guardian to put there. I haven't been around with my JE yet, but I was concerned about the opposite problem happening. If you happen to put any lower level ore fields near any navs that higher level mobs already spawned at. I guess that is always a concern with mining, but I would hate to have my cl10 JE going through a field, fighting off some cl 8 guardian mobs and have a cl30 whatever come by and one-shot me before I have a chance to escape.

Hello,

I will take a look at Shepard when I go into the editor today. I have a couple of other small problems to work out also. I can spread out those mobs you were talking about so they are not bunched together, although I have taken a little heat as some think I was to easy on the players. I remember Bugs being a favorite of mine in live to lvl on and if my memory is right I think there was alot more bugs in Shepard then there is now. There was one spot that was just covered with them. Anyway, I would hate to think I took away your favorite hunting spot so I will see what I can do! TTYL :-)

Merlin

Hello,

Ok I fixed the Crystal ore field in VT & moved the field in the NW corner in Jot so the roids are not on the other side of the wall. These 2 fixes will take effect when they do the server push. The only other problem was the neg field clear bonus and that one has been fixed on the play server.

I have started to work on the Terran sectors tonight, but need to chat with the Terran lead before I get to far along. Once I make sure he is happy then I will be happy and then can make all of you happy! We will all be one big happy familybiggrin.gif

Anyway, have spent the last 3 days checking out all the ore fields and they all look good. Oh to the player that was concerned about Shepard, I did move the mobs away from each other a bit so there area does not over lap anymore. You will be able to hunt those pesty lvl 20 bugs now without running into the cl 31 manes. Ofcourse you will not notice the change until after the data push.

Thats about it for the moment. Once I get going on the Terran sectors I will have more to report. Happy hunting! TTYL :-)

Merlin

• Upvote 1

how often do they do data pushes? out of curiosity.

Hello,

This is a hard question to answer as no one really know for sure when the next push is coming. It all depends on if something real importain needs to be pushed or not. It is problie safe to say that there seems to be a push in the 1st week of the month. That is what I have seen anyway. TTYL :-)

Merlin

Helium still spawning in Level 9 Asteroids and Glowing Asteroids in Cygni 61.

Level 9 Asteroid spawned with only level 8 ore in it.

Hello,

The best addvice I can give to you or anyone is to d/l the file "Orelist.txt" which you will find in the 2nd message of this post. It has the sectors in which you will find those ores. Any sector that is not in the Orelist.txt meens that I have not gone into that sector to fix any problems there may be. I will say that if you find any lvl 9 glowing rock it will always have lvl 2 Helium in it since there is no such think as a lvl 9 glowing rock ore. You will notice that in the orelist you will not find any lvl 9 glowing rocks listed. That is one of the problems I am cleaning up. Also, I am trying to get the right ore in the right type of rocks and that is done by basiclly going thru every ore field and placing the correct ore in them and that is where the major part of the time is involved. Once I get going on a system, i can normally get 3 to 5 sectors done a day. I will most likely be working on the Jen sectors next and then either the progan or Terran ones after that. Fun-fun-fun! TTYL :-)

Merlin

Has this been pushed to ST4 yet? I have been trying to find Boronite for my PP to complete the builder mission on Nostrand Vor and in your list (the second one) it says I can find it in Odin Rex. However, after doing a pretty completely exploration of the system, the only ore fields I can find are lvl5 (and in your list is says there are no lvl5s in the system).

Has this been pushed to ST4 yet? I have been trying to find Boronite for my PP to complete the builder mission on Nostrand Vor and in your list (the second one) it says I can find it in Odin Rex. However, after doing a pretty completely exploration of the system, the only ore fields I can find are lvl5 (and in your list is says there are no lvl5s in the system).

Hello,

Ok, I checked and I did find it. Look about 80k north of the Smugglers Run gate and you will find the crystal field. TTYL :-)

Merlin

Hello,

Ok, I checked and I did find it. Look about 80k north of the Smugglers Run gate and you will find the crystal field. TTYL :-)

Merlin

Found it! Thanks a bunch. :blink:

Found helium in a finished sector Merlin. In VT in the middle crystal field around aragoth probe 2 the field is pure helium, but the surrounding fields are fine.

Hello,

Thanks, but I already knew about this "Oversite on my part" and have fixed it. It will change on the next push to the player server. There is also a field in Jot that is way off the map for some silly reason that also has been fixed. I have made several small fixes to the ore fields I have already done and all of them will take effect on the next push.

I do thank you for reporting as that is the way things get fixed and no I am not perfect and do make mistakes! I know it is hard to believe but true! :-)

Merlin

I was testing out the fields in AP and found that the Hydrocarbon field at Aragoth Resource 1 a large number of the hydrocarbons were out of the limits of where you could move.

Fields in BBW:

Recommend tightening up the overall dispersion of the gas field that is roughly 50km NE of the Veteran Training navs -- or at least flattening the z-axis dispersion. Those two or three drone ore guardians are a bit fearsome when you can't warp between the clouds way up in the high and low Z-axis (warping drops you back into the +7/-7 km band that the drones patrol)

Ditto for the crystal/carbon mix roughly 120km E of the Controller camp.

Fields in BBW:

Recommend tightening up the overall dispersion of the gas field that is roughly 50km NE of the Veteran Training navs -- or at least flattening the z-axis dispersion. Those two or three drone ore guardians are a bit fearsome when you can't warp between the clouds way up in the high and low Z-axis (warping drops you back into the +7/-7 km band that the drones patrol)

Ditto for the crystal/carbon mix roughly 120km E of the Controller camp.

Hello,

Ya I have talked to David about this problem and it is all over the map. The problem is that it is setting ore fields that are set to random some 15k above & below. I want David to set this to 5k above & below and that should make it easier to get to all the roids. The only other option right now would be to set them all in a ring format and that would get borring after awhile. Thanks for making a report as that is the only way all these little problems will get solved is for players like yourself to report them. TTYL :-)

Merlin

Btw Merlin I've got a question on ore fields. For the guardian mobs in the fields, is the end goal to make the guardians/pop mobs the same as they were in live where possible, or to simply create what works for the emulator? I used to mine a lot in live so I remember a decent amount of the field guardians, their levels, models, etc. Many of which aren't(yet?) the same as in live.

Btw Merlin I've got a question on ore fields. For the guardian mobs in the fields, is the end goal to make the guardians/pop mobs the same as they were in live where possible, or to simply create what works for the emulator? I used to mine a lot in live so I remember a decent amount of the field guardians, their levels, models, etc. Many of which aren't(yet?) the same as in live.

Hello,

To be completely honest with you and the rest of the players it would be next to impossible to put the ore fields back to the way it was in live and get it 100% correct. So here is what I am thinking, why even try! Instead I will do the best I can to put in all the main fields everyone remembers like the gass field in Glenn for an example. The way I look at it Ore fields are a animal all their own and as long as we get close and make sure all the ores are there in close to the amount that was in live then I am sure no one will really care if this ore is here and that ore is over there.

I am also trying to be a little creative in the ore field placement and do something that they didn't do in live. One example of this is the Asteroid rings around the Planet in Jotunheim. I added 3 rings around the planet that kind of blend in with the art work that is already there. I have placed some large high lvl ore fields in out of the way places that will take some exploring to find. I am also planning on once all the sector are finished to about once a month and wave Merlin's magic wand and some of the ore fields will move around the sectors so that miners will have to once again explore to find them. I will make sure players get little hints at when things like that happen.

Now as to the pop-rocks, in live everyone knew which roid would pop and which roid wouldn't! Thats no fun now is it? I want to make it so that pop rocks look just like every other roid and you will never know when something will pop out and say hi! Another idea I am toying around with (giving David & Tienbau a headack) is to not only have pissed off mobs pop out, but have friendly mobs also come out to say hi. Now these friendly mobs would follow you around and be your friend as long as you wanted them to. Now as a good friend they would make sure their new friend was safe while mining. Once you decided to leave the sector you would target your friend and say goodbye. Now since he is your fiend ofcourse he would want to give you a good bye gift and like puff the magic dragon (alittle hint) it would go poof and leave behind your gift. Of course this might never happen, but if it is possible to do this it would really make mining fun.

Well, I am working on other idea, but I do not want to get to far ahead of myself here. Now before soemone says it, yes there are alot of importain things to still do in the game. In responce I will say I am mainly putting my effort into the ore fields and leaving all the other stuff for all the smarter Devs to figure out. Merlin like shiny rocks and likes to play with shiny rocks! :-) Oh, I just got done testing out the Call forward mission twice and will be doing it once more tommorrow to make sure the walkthrough I am writting for it is 100% correct. I will post more about that in the correct form! TTYL :-)

Merlin

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1