Making Gas ore useful!

Hello,

As most of you know I am in the proccess of going over all the sectors in the game and working on the ore fields. I have had an idea I have been toying with and after chatting with someone in the game decided to bring my idea you the players. Here is my idea.

As most of you know gasses you mine are just for getting ex and money, but what if there was a way to make them even more useful? My idea is to make your toon ship use refined gas as fuel! The lvl of gass needed would depend on the lvl of engine you had installed on your ship. If you had a lvl 5 engine you would need lvl 5 gas. Now since there is mostly 2 or 3 lvl's of gass per lvl of ore you could have different grades of gas like in real life. Let take lvl 9 gas as an example:

You have Noxion, Pagion & Etherion You could make Noxion as low grade lvl 9 gas, Pagion as med grade gas & Etherion as high grade. The better the grade the longer it would last. All the details could be worked out later, but you get the idea.

Now you are saying, ok Merlin, lets say I run out of gas. Well as it was put to me, "You are now running on fumes" and your speed both warp & impluse would be cut in half! I personlly think it would put a nice twist on the game and make mining gas more useful then to just do it for ex & money which we all know there is alot of money in the game now.

Now this is just an idea and if it is a stupid one I will just lower my head and go sit in the corner and go back to my ore fields. I would love to hear your resopnce to this idea and if it is something alot of you would like then I will see what can be done. TTYL :-)

Merlin

• Downvote 2

Being mandatory isn't the way to go imo. Something like giving JEs/PSs the ability to supercharge their engines with the gas they refine as an optional benefit would be a better implementation. Or something along those lines, as long as its optional imo.

Being mandatory isn't the way to go imo. Something like giving JEs/PSs the ability to supercharge their engines with the gas they refine as an optional benefit would be a better implementation. Or something along those lines, as long as its optional imo.

This^^^

If you want to change the game, do it in "buff" fashion.

Mandatory changes like this would be bad, IMO.

Guys, always remember, one of the things about EnB that made it unique was the fun factor. Most people like a challenge, most people like to play a fun game, not many people like to work at a game. If I have to work at securing needed ores to keep my engines running at peak... well doesn't sound fun to me.

I have been playing EvE since EnB folded, and much of that game is work. We really don't need work here also do we?

Major Thumbs down for this one...

...unless it is implemented as an optional buff.

Reallly don't want have to think about my epically slow, anti-quick PW in combat loadout going at 1750 warp (half normal speed at that load) trying to get across Grissom to get to the FB... because he can't pack in a few gases alongside all the bleedin' ammo I need to cart around.

It's an interesting idea, and worth throwing out there. I think you'd hear most screaming for bigger cargo holds.

Another problem could be captivating beginners. (Perhaps capturing them, enthralling them, and keeping them is a better description.) If you are not familiar with the game, it throws another monkey wrench in. I already spend time outfitting newbies with "starter sets" in order to make that first time easier. I often throw in a mil to lessen the grind.

It might work if the ships could somehow be reconfigured to provide a dedicated space for "gas." It would also provide a market for gas, and that might not be a bad thing. It could promote interaction, and a better support network amongst players.

Maybe one of the hull upgrades could include this feature. One where the player has gained some knowledge of the game and has some insight as to what's coming down the road.

A possible problem could be further degradation of the current playerbase. Many major changes in live dropped too-big-a-percentage of the playerbase. Changes that have been done here seem to have caused the same thing.

There are those that say it's summer - people play less in summer. Let's see if the numbers increase when autumn rolls around. But hey - it's winter in Australia?

Do the numbers. When you implement a change, watch how it impacts the playerbase. If it impacts it negatively, wrong direction. Without a playerbase there will be no game to change.

To be honest, I'd say making gas required in more item builds would be the way to go. For example, I could easily imagine a reactor or engine requiring some type of chemical reactant to be required to make it work, much like a nuclear reactor needs Plutonium or Uranium. So having a few engines and reactors requiring a gas (of the relevant level) would probably be the best way to get gases to be more useful whilst as the same time not really effecting the game experiance for most users.

To be honest, I'd say making gas required in more item builds would be the way to go. For example, I could easily imagine a reactor or engine requiring some type of chemical reactant to be required to make it work, much like a nuclear reactor needs Plutonium or Uranium. So having a few engines and reactors requiring a gas (of the relevant level) would probably be the best way to get gases to be more useful whilst as the same time not really effecting the game experiance for most users.

Hello,

Ya maybe, but take it from someone who does alot of building, I don't make alot of engines and maybe only 4 or 5 aweek. I was just trying to come up with a way to use the many stacks of gas ore I get when I go out and mine. In about 2 or 3 hours I can get ove 100 of most all lvl 5 to 9 gasses in the game. I know it doesn't look like this idea will fly as alot of players are not excided to alot of changes or new things. I tryed to start a contest awhile back where I was putting together a prize package to give to the winner. It was going to be where the 1st player to get a PS to lvl 100 without doing any hull upgrades & could not group. Man, you would have thought I just told everyone that the server just blew up again! I know most players do not like any type of change and that is too bad. I like to try new things in both real life and in my game life. Heck my wife & I are going to learn how to scuba dive this summer and I am 52 & she is 51. About the only thing I will never do and anyone who does it has a few brain cells missing is bungy jumping! No way I would ever trust a bunch of rubber bands to keep me alive! lol TTY: :-)

Merlin

Perhaps a depository or something where you turn in 500 or however many stacks for a cool item or device, if i remember right ea was tinkering around with this on the maelstroms and in progen space.

That's a pretty good idea, and gives the JE an offset to the JT's negotiate skill in building reactors.

That's a pretty good idea, and gives the JE an offset to the JT's negotiate skill in building reactors.

In fact, to 'refine' the idea further. you could require a special type of Gas for engines and reactors, for example, you could have 'Reactor grade' and 'Engine grade' which would be made from refined gases. So lets say 1 Refined Gas = 5 raw gases, 1 Engine Grade/Reactor Grade gas = 5 refined gases, meaning a total of 25 raw gases, you could then have engines or reactors requiring 1-2 of these, this would definatly generate a fairly steady demand on the gas market.

• Downvote 1

In fact, to 'refine' the idea further. you could require a special type of Gas for engines and reactors, for example, you could have 'Reactor grade' and 'Engine grade' which would be made from refined gases. So lets say 1 Refined Gas = 5 raw gases, 1 Engine Grade/Reactor Grade gas = 5 refined gases, meaning a total of 25 raw gases, you could then have engines or reactors requiring 1-2 of these, this would definatly generate a fairly steady demand on the gas market.

True, would require lots of rewriting of the recipes for things. It might be better to start by designing new engines/reactors, and phase them in over time, that are a little better than their counterparts that don't require gases to build of the same level. Eventually this could spread into some other types of equipment. For example some refined ores from some crystal asteroids could be used in the production of the next generation of beam weapons. (not sure how this could apply to PLs or MLs yet, but if someone can come up with an idea, I'm all ears) Say a type of focusing crystal to use to make the beams. There are a few devices that require crystals already. I think the Warp Kazas are an example of an existing device that needs refined ores as a component (rather than just vendor/PM comps).

Said items could range from desirable and useful to uber. The useful/desirable items could be more common, while the more uber items would be much rarer by comparison.

The newer items would be useful in raids that don't exist as of yet, and day to day life, but since the game does need to offer new things to do, to keep the playerbase up over time. Some balancing will obviously be required to prevent the items from being overpowered.

It might work if the ships could somehow be reconfigured to provide a dedicated space for "gas."

Wishful thinking, but not going to happen if that involves tinkering with the client.

HOWEVER, making NEW engines (hello, engine buiders! ) that have an addition +250 ~ +500 units of warp speed compared to older engines of the same level that use a complex gas refining chain is a bang-on great idea.

Wishful thinking, but not going to happen if that involves tinkering with the client.

HOWEVER, making NEW engines (hello, engine buiders! ) that have an addition +250 ~ +500 units of warp speed compared to older engines of the same level that use a complex gas refining chain is a bang-on great idea.

This would also be good for Scouts that choose to build engines, since they can provide themeselves with the gases, much the same way as the JE can w/r/t reactors.

Change some comps to require more gasses where it fits. Ammo propellants, specifically, make sense to me.

If that build drones thing ever gets implemented in the game somehow, make gasses as fuels feature heavily in the use of drones.

Or if you want a very simple idea, but one which has some elegance to it I think, put in a trade run mechanic for refined gasses. They'd just be trade runs that you can't BUY the trade goods for, you'd have to mine it first. Certain stations or planets might have need of specific gasses, and pay more than other stations for quantities of properly refined gas. Most space stations, for example, would be wise to seek out regular supplies of oxygen. Or maybe Arx Tiberius pays extra for helium just because a couple of the junior warriors think it's funny when Fortunatis talks all high and squeaky. That would make gas mining more worthwhile AND give miners a nice way to make some steady cash from their mining.

I like the idea of making build engines somehow better, but more warp is not what we need, I think.

Gasses are used for laser beams, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-neon_laser

Imagine...

"WTB ALL UR HELIUM AND NEON!!!! IR JENPIE I NEED PEWZ!!!!"

lol so now JE's need to carry ammo too... in the form of ores... so I guess that means our ammo stacks in 250's or whatever ore stacks in now?

• Upvote 2

Gasses are used for laser beams, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helium-neon_laser

Imagine...

"WTB ALL UR HELIUM AND NEON!!!! IR JENPIE I NEED PEWZ!!!!"

Pure, concentrated, unadulterated... EVIL.

Jenpies requiring gases to power the reaction of their lasers... oh, the howling that would commence from the quarters of Jove's Fury and Prasad... it would almost offset another Terran kiting/tethering nerf. :(

Edited by -Seeker-
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ok that came out wrong.

I did not mean it as ammo, because it is in a sealed compartment.

It would merely be a part to create a component for a beam.

Please read on contemporary lasers!

Edit: Please implement it as ammo anyway to have the jenpie do what they do best :)

Edited by Tyran

Ok that came out wrong.

I did not mean it as ammo, because it is in a sealed compartment.

It would merely be a part to create a component for a beam.

Please read on contemporary lasers!

Edit: Please implement it as ammo anyway to have the jenpie do what they do best :)

not just jenpie... but all explorers... and so any beam user would need gases to use their beams and we could have vendor low grade gas and mined and refined high grade gas......

while I beleive that we should get rid of all ammo in the game for all weapons... if that is not an option... then I like the idea of using gas or gas combined with ores as ammo for beams... it really gives mining a hardcore purpose... although you would need to keep the stacks high or else you might hurt the jd... not sure how many cargo slots they have...