Punishing Kiters

Factions- including factions which do not affect players but mob to mob interactions.

Cool. Would this lead to mob-to-mob interactions again? Back in Live I really enjoyed mining in Rag and watching Freespacers and Manes go at each other.

Thanks for the update/explanation. Sounds pretty involved but also sounds like the finished product will be much more sophisticated than what we saw in Live.

Lets change the phrase "Kiting" to "Offensive Retreat"

Kiting is an all class all race combat tactic (group or solo) especially if your

a missile user.

Kiting is also used I real life combat, Tanks, jeeps (uurr Humv's) with 60 cal.

machine guns mounted moving at good speeds makes them a harder target to hit

and at the same time trying to inflict damage.

No one should be punished for using a well planned combat retreat :)

If Kiting shouldn't be or isn't a legitimate combat tactic all engines should have the same

combat / thrust speed and they should also do away with the Cat's Paw's devices.

And hell we all know some times it's hard to find someone to group with and with someone

that doesn't have the same loot item in mind.

With all the people rushing to get to 150 there are not many casual low/mid level peep's

that one could group with.

BUT, There was one instance where kiting was a exploit put I can't remember what it was.

(edit) In reply to Riia's post.

(a friendly)

IMO a player should always be able to have the ability to out run an NPC forward or backwards if a player can't they can and should upgrade their engine or device to be able to do so. If a player wants to use or waste a few skill points to do this so be it.

Not sure if thats what changes are being considered or what your stating.

Phorlaug..

Edited by Phorlaug

Hi

It saddens me to see that some you are taking a great deal of offense to some temporary changes that have occurred as we try to implement improvements to mobs.

Here is what is happening at the moment with mobs.(This required a complete rewrite of the mob editor and testing of some of the changes, some implementations require new code, not yet written).

We doing a complete overhaul of every mob. Each mob will now have settings for the following:

Factions- including factions which do not affect players but mob to mob interactions.

Impulse Speed

Signature, Scan Range and Missile Defense

Resistances and Vulnerabilities- each mob will have its own set of resistances or vulnerabilities to damage.

Skills- each mob will have its own set of up to 9 skills and 9 levels of these skills to use against its attacker.

Bravery, Aggression, Altruism and Intelligence- there are between 3-5 setting for each of these.

Shield, Reactor and Hull- each mob will have its own reactor, shield and hull settings plus recharge rates.

Weapons- each mob will have its own set of weapons with individual ranges, damage and reload times, modified by its available skills.

Loot- each mob or set of mobs will have its own common loot table and rare loot table.

There are between 2000-2500 mobs now in the DB and each mob will have to be totally redone. This is being done to give us much more flexibility in all areas pertaining to mobs. This will probably take 2-3 months to implement if every thing goes smoothly.

I'm sure that as we implement these changes there will be times when unintended things happen. What we would appreciate is that you report these errors. What we do not need the disparaging and /or sarcastic comments!

Further to this I would like to reemphasize ( as it seems that some of you forget this), this team is made up of individuals that volunteer their time for free. The donations that some of you so generously provide is used to pay for the servers and the software need to allow all of you to play this game.

Please remember that we have real life jobs, wives/husbands, children, grandchildren and parents that also require our time.

Riia

This sounds awesome! Not to mention a lot of hard work...

*sits down in the patience chair*

I've read through all of this, and my .02 follows:

The changes made (temporary or not) are affecting anyone who kites a mob to it's tether point. At which time as it is running away deals out 2x damage at extreme range. Now, I personally have witnessed this many times, but due to this here thread, figured it was temporary or, it is an error in behaviour on the mobs part.

Making mobs have a better AI is awesome. Making mobs overpowered is not.

One of the things that always appealed to me about EnB was the "fun factor". Please Devs, don't lose sight of that in the interest of making the game more challenging. If I want extreme challenge that badly, I can go play EvE. :D

EnB was/is fun! Hopefully, some of these changes are temporary and will stop removing the fun.

If any of the above comes across like I'm slamming anyone, please re-read it, because I'm not.

What all of the Devs have done, and are doing is a wonderful thing! I for one appreciate the hard work and effort you guys and gals have made to bring this game back to life! :)

Thanks for the input. Mob AI is being worked on right now.

the mob kiting AI changes will probably be temporary and are no reason to leave over.

Just keep letting us know what you don't like.

just FYI - the mob code had to be completely re-written as it had become unmaintainable, and with the forthcomming changes it needed to be hugely cleaned up. I thought I'd gotten rid of the extendy-range defensive retreat but obviously not.

As to the tethers not working - every time I ask someone to demonstrate them not working they work 100% correctly. I guess it's a case of things just happening to not go wrong when a dev's around :)

just be patient PLEASE and don't jump to conclusions like kiters are being punished - just liken it to road repairs - it might seem like it's inconveniencing you at the time but if you can see beyond that interruption then you'll see it's better afterwards.

• Upvote 1

I'm trying not to get overworked about this, since I know it's very much a work in progress. The mobs have calmed down a lot, and it's required a modification of hunting techniques. I don't know what input the devs need to help them troubleshoot what's going on.

I won't be around for a while, but that has to do with my finances not the emu. I will be back as soon as possible.

I'm trying not to get overworked about this, since I know it's very much a work in progress. The mobs have calmed down a lot, and it's required a modification of hunting techniques. I don't know what input the devs need to help them troubleshoot what's going on.

I won't be around for a while, but that has to do with my finances not the emu. I will be back as soon as possible.

see what you devs have done now... people are starting to have financial problems due to not being able to kite for a living anymore... you hadda change the mob behavior and now people cant kill enough to put food on the table...

oh and ps for the people with no sense of humor... just kidding here :)

Edited by Avani
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2