Multiple accounts without VM.

On the same note as running 2 clients at the same time, is it possible to use 2 toons on the same account at the same time?

Nope. Against TOS and not possible currently or ever. Make toons that you want to multibox with on different accounts.

Nope. Against TOS and not possible currently or ever. Make toons that you want to multibox with on different accounts.

Indeed. Allowing people to use more than one avatar per account simultaneously could cause problems with data corruption, so it is prevented by the server.

I finally did figure out why my system was not allowing multiple clients:

I had it so that multiple copies would stack automatically (ie: 2 copies show as 1 icon on the task bar). This turns out to be the issue, soon as I turned that feature off - I can now run multiple clients.

I finally did figure out why my system was not allowing multiple clients:

I had it so that multiple copies would stack automatically (ie: 2 copies show as 1 icon on the task bar). This turns out to be the issue, soon as I turned that feature off - I can now run multiple clients.

Very interesting. Thanks for letting us know.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, from reading this thread, I have a weird issue compared to everyone else. I created a second account per instructions - forum account/net-7 account/email confirmation, logged it into Net-7 to test it.

Then I started one EnB session, logged in with my first account, started another, logged in with the second account - and saw my first account's characters!

I logged off both right away, then just logged in the second account - and saw my first account's characters.

So I have no idea what I've done wrong. Anyone have any ideas? I won't try the second account again until instructed so that we avoid any potential issues with server corruption.

Wow, from reading this thread, I have a weird issue compared to everyone else. I created a second account per instructions - forum account/net-7 account/email confirmation, logged it into Net-7 to test it.

Then I started one EnB session, logged in with my first account, started another, logged in with the second account - and saw my first account's characters!

I logged off both right away, then just logged in the second account - and saw my first account's characters.

So I have no idea what I've done wrong. Anyone have any ideas? I won't try the second account again until instructed so that we avoid any potential issues with server corruption.

Your second instance of net7proxy is hijacking the connection of the first one. I have this problem whenever I try this, but others seem to be able to do it just fine. I'm not sure exactly how this happens - it must be some bug in our code. I'll remind the server dev that we're having problems; perhaps with all his skills he'll be able to rig up a solution. Keep in mind that this is a bit of a low priority though, compared to gameplay bugs and such.

Your second instance of net7proxy is hijacking the connection of the first one. I have this problem whenever I try this, but others seem to be able to do it just fine. I'm not sure exactly how this happens - it must be some bug in our code. I'll remind the server dev that we're having problems; perhaps with all his skills he'll be able to rig up a solution. Keep in mind that this is a bit of a low priority though, compared to gameplay bugs and such.

That's weird, the accounts should rule all. Regarding priority, is this is a potential server corruption issue? I haven't tried selecting and logging a cross-account character on, but I'm presuming I can because I see them in the login screen.

I won't of course, but someone else who encounters this problem certainly might - it's a natural step at that point to just click a character on each screen and log them in, and then they've got two chars on the same account at the same time.

That's weird, the accounts should rule all. Regarding priority, is this is a potential server corruption issue? I haven't tried selecting and logging a cross-account character on, but I'm presuming I can because I see them in the login screen.

I won't of course, but someone else who encounters this problem certainly might - it's a natural step at that point to just click a character on each screen and log them in, and then they've got two chars on the same account at the same time.

I don't believe it can cause data corruption. The server pretty much always knows what's going on, it's the client that gets confused. The server also has checks in place to prevent multiple characters on the same account from being logged in simultaneously. Even if you are able to select and attempt to log in a second character on a single account, the server will timeout the second character during login and send the first character a message letting you know what happened.

I don't believe it can cause data corruption. The server pretty much always knows what's going on, it's the client that gets confused. The server also has checks in place to prevent multiple characters on the same account from being logged in simultaneously. Even if you are able to select and attempt to log in a second character on a single account, the server will timeout the second character during login and send the first character a message letting you know what happened.

Ok good to hear. During a previous ST (2? 3?) that was not the case and I remember it being specifically warned against because it would cause server problems.

Edit: False alarm! I do see my characters, with their names, in the login on the second account. However, they are Level 0, and selecting them brings up the new character Name and Server selection screen on the game. So apparently, the client (possibly because of the Character Creator?) is remembering the original characters I made and bringing the name in as well. But when selected, it "forgets" that information and starts it as a new character on the second account. So apparently it will function as a character clone tool lol.

I tested it by making a third character on the first account using the EnB client (not the Char Creator) and sure enough, that character does NOT show up on the second account's login screen. So the Char Creator/EnB client interaction is causing this to happen.

/whew

Edit 2: The weirdness continues. I made a new char on the second account using the EnB client. I created a Jenq Explorer, and when I got to the ship creation screen, it was already named with the name of the Jenq char's ship that I'd made with the char creator! doo DOO doo doo, doo DOO doo doo (Twilight Zone theme).

I went ahead and made the char and it seems to play fine, soIdunno. If the server blows up tho, you know it was all my fault :(

Ok good to hear. During a previous ST (2? 3?) that was not the case and I remember it being specifically warned against because it would cause server problems.

Edit: False alarm! I do see my characters, with their names, in the login on the second account. However, they are Level 0, and selecting them brings up the new character Name and Server selection screen on the game. So apparently, the client (possibly because of the Character Creator?) is remembering the original characters I made and bringing the name in as well. But when selected, it "forgets" that information and starts it as a new character on the second account. So apparently it will function as a character clone tool lol.

I tested it by making a third character on the first account using the EnB client (not the Char Creator) and sure enough, that character does NOT show up on the second account's login screen. So the Char Creator/EnB client interaction is causing this to happen.

/whew

Ah, I see. Thanks for letting me know.

• 1 month later...
The character creator saves files locally, called Avatar1.dat, Avatar2.dat, etc up to 5. When the client runs, it first gets all the characters from the server on the account, then checks locally and fills in any empty slot (empty on the server side) with character creator avatars (locally stored). What [b]used[/b] to happen to my knowledge was as soon as you picked a character creator avatar, and logged it into the server, it would delete the Avatar#.dat file. Currently, it appears that it creates a backup. What's possible is that in 'overwriting' the same avatar slot, some of the data from the old Avatar#.dat file for that slot is being pulled in.

In Windows XP the default path is [font="Courier New"]C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Westwood Studios\Earth and Beyond\Character and Starship Creator[/font]

I'm not home with my windows 7 machine, but i think its something like [font="Courier New"]C:\[b]Users[/b]\All Users\...[/font] (like the XP location)

An interesting note, if you have an avatar in one slot (say, slot 1) from the character and starship creator, but your account is already using slots 1-3, you can simply rename the file Avatar4.dat and it will move to slot 4. Just change the number to match the slot you want.

Something is definately wrong now, I tried running 2 accounts on my machine as directed in this forum, but as soon as I did both crashed, now I can't get past the character selector screen on any of my accounts. They freeze right at the galaxy map :( Can you help me with this, pls hurry I need my EnB fix ;)

[quote name='Mayhem' timestamp='1299988169' post='36376']
Something is definately wrong now, I tried running 2 accounts on my machine as directed in this forum, but as soon as I did both crashed, now I can't get past the character selector screen on any of my accounts. They freeze right at the galaxy map :( Can you help me with this, pls hurry I need my EnB fix ;)
[/quote]
Have you tried the Packet Optimization setting in the Launcher? It might get you back into the characters.

I'd like to add that I've found a way to unlock the mouse from the EnB window without alt-tabbing. If you're locked in the window, and you move the mouse quickly towards one of the borders, you might see it show up outside the EnB window temporarily. If you move it quickly, and press one of the buttons when the cursor is outside the EnB window, it unlocks the mouse. If you're running two (or more) instances of the client at once, you can put them side by side, and once you get the hang of it, you can switch back and forth pretty easily. I figured this out completely by accident. I was right-clicking to move my ship, but I was too close to the window border, and I kept getting the normal right-click menu as though I were right-clicking in a blank spot on the desktop. I played around with it for a little while, until I found that it worked with right clicking too.

[quote name='Ghinn' timestamp='1300069620' post='36485']
I'd like to add that I've found a way to unlock the mouse from the EnB window without alt-tabbing. If you're locked in the window, and you move the mouse quickly towards one of the borders, you might see it show up outside the EnB window temporarily. If you move it quickly, and press one of the buttons when the cursor is outside the EnB window, it unlocks the mouse. If you're running two (or more) instances of the client at once, you can put them side by side, and once you get the hang of it, you can switch back and forth pretty easily. I figured this out completely by accident. I was right-clicking to move my ship, but I was too close to the window border, and I kept getting the normal right-click menu as though I were right-clicking in a blank spot on the desktop. I played around with it for a little while, until I found that it worked with right clicking too.
[/quote]
Good point. That always ticks me off because I play windowed, but I guess it actually does offer an advantage in that respect.

I cannot seem to log out from Net-7 to be able to create another account, I must have checked the always keep me logged in button. Any suggestions? On another note, does dual boxing require another download of the client for the second account?

Thanks again to all involved in bringing E&B back to life.

[quote name='camnamtrah' timestamp='1300208143' post='36612']
I cannot seem to log out from Net-7 to be able to create another account, I must have checked the always keep me logged in button. Any suggestions? On another note, does dual boxing require another download of the client for the second account?

Thanks again to all involved in bringing E&B back to life.
[/quote]
That's odd. Try clearing your cookies. (Google how to do this in your browser)

No, you only need one installation of the client to dual box. :(

You dont need any 3rd party software to run multiple accounts, just run the launcher, login in, run another launcher and login etc

Not sure if there is a limit to how many you can run from a launcher point of view, but you should be able to run as many as your comp can handle.

If I'm not mistaken the software listed is meant when running multiple characters to do things like send commands/keystrokes to both sessions simultaneously (kinda would be frowned upon and borderline cheating if you ask me) but the rules come from higher than me.
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
[quote name='JoshuaChr' timestamp='1276294490' post='18470']
I'm running Windows 7, when I try to do this, I get a message that E&B is already running... Do I need to duplicate the game directory or anything like that first?
[/quote]

I'm getting the exact same issue. I've got three accounts, and sometime I get this when logging in the third account while other times I get it when logging in the second account. On rare occasions I can get all three accounts running.

I've tried assinging multiple logical IP addresses to my machine, I've made copies of the client.exe, and I've tried all sorts of combinations of check boxes in the launcher. I've also changed the Net7proxy.exe, client.exe, and E&B.exe to run in WinXP SP3 compatability mode and they are set to run as admin.

I've tried waiting 10-15 seconds between clicks, I make sure the running client is fully logged in, and I wait for my char to fully load before I start the next launch.

I'm running Win 7 Pro x64, and I know from a performance standpoint my machine can handle three clients with ease.

Any ideas??

All I can tell you is that sometimes Net-7 just hangs, closes or you get the dreaded E&B is already running pop up when you try to launch multiple clients. Just keep trying and it will work eventually, I often run 3 clients at a time in Windows 7 x64.

• 2 months later...
I've following Problem: Starting and running one copy of EnB works fine. But when I start another copy the 2nd one runs correct but when switching with Alt+Tab to the 1st one the Mouse hangs in the upper left corner and nothing happens. I can switch back to the 2nd one wich still works fine but I cant use the 1st copy. Bur I can hear the sound of both copys and the Taskmanager shows both running without Probs.

(WinXP Pro with all patches, Nvidia Geforce 250GTS)

[quote name='Josef_M' timestamp='1311320914' post='43504']
I've following Problem: Starting and running one copy of EnB works fine. But when I start another copy the 2nd one runs correct but when switching with Alt+Tab to the 1st one the Mouse hangs in the upper left corner and nothing happens. I can switch back to the 2nd one wich still works fine but I cant use the 1st copy. Bur I can hear the sound of both copys and the Taskmanager shows both running without Probs.

(WinXP Pro with all patches, Nvidia Geforce 250GTS)
[/quote]

something one of my guildmates told me and it's worked for me so far, in the task manager use the Switch To button, works every time for me.