Wanting to make an Explorer

Which would you choose? And why?

I can't decide between the two! Let me know what you think the Pros and Cons of each are.

Also, the stats that they are given in the starship creator are different to the ones on enbx.com. Are the stats in the creator the actual ones, and do they really mean much?

DISCUSS! :)

Which would you choose? And why?

I can't decide between the two! Let me know what you think the Pros and Cons of each are.

Also, the stats that they are given in the starship creator are different to the ones on enbx.com. Are the stats in the creator the actual ones, and do they really mean much?

DISCUSS! :(

Depends on explorer you want, and want you to bring to a group/raid. I could list things, but a bit tired right now cause of TRs + running around in between flights.

while the scout is a terran and I am partial to terrans... by taking the scout you lose stealth as you have a huge sig... which sux for mining, you cant build reactors, and you cant wh... so while I hate the skin on the je and the ship look... building reactors and low sig are really huge...

some cons of the scout are build engines (the most worthless skill in the game imho), L8 shields, I am not sure what raid utility the scout will have? I would like to play one... but really cant recommend one

TE (Scout) vs JE.

JE: advantages:

JE gets L9 reactor, and reactor upgrades 10 levels sooner

JE has Scan 7

JE can wormhole

JE has lower base sig 0.5, and can get sig down to 0.0 with right equipment.

JE can build reactors, but JT can do it better.

JE from race with better reactors

JE can cloak to hide from enemies, TE has no equivalent skill

Disadvantages:

JE has weakest class at combat

JE has fewest weapon mounts 3

JE uses beams at close range

JE has smallest shield (43029 on Veiled Oyoroi L8 shield)

JE has weakest hull

JE build skills redundant (JT better reactor builder, TT/JT/TE better device builder)

JE cannot build or use Progen Equipment.

Scout advantages:

TE has larger Cargo hold (5 more slots)

TE has Negotiate 5 (can make more money selling ores to vendors, can refine cheaper)

TE has no racial restrictions on equipment building or use.

TE has 4 weapons to JE's 3

TE uses missiles and can kill things over CL/OL

TE fastest class Period (L9 engines, L7 Navigate, and the yet to be implemented Afterburn skill)

TE Better device builder than JE/PE second only to TT

TE can attack from greatest range with racial weapon.

Disadvantages:

TE only gets L8 Sheilds

TE only gets L8 Reactors

TE uses missiles, but cannot build ammo

TT better at both device and engine building than TE.

And just so a certain other explorer class doesn't feel left out.

Progen Sentinel:

PE gets L9 shields (only explorer with L9 shield)

PE gets gets Menace (make your enemies flee)

PE gets L5 Critical Targeting (most DPS for an Explorer)

PE toughest fighter among the explorer classes.

PE has strongest hull of explorer classes.

PE can play dead, to avoid conflicts at least in some circumstances.

Disadvantages:

PE uses Projectiles but cannot build ammo

PE has to use some hold space for ammo, but doesn't have the expanded cargo hold of TE

PE cannot use or build Jenquai equipment

PE build skills redundant, TE/TT better device builders, PT/TT better Shield builder.

PE is slowest explorer

PE only gets L8 reactor, but has the Vulture reactor (added when Mordana are added)

All Explorers get:

L9 Devices

L7 Jumpstart

L7 Prospect

L7 Build Devices

Expanded Base Scan range of 5.0

Scan skill (5 for PE/TE, 7 for JE)

Edited for spelling

Edited by Terrell
  • Upvote 1

Sorry to go off topic with my post. But, I keep seeing players referring to classes that I don't see on the character creation screen. Terran Scout? It's possible some of the names I've seen in-game are just people using the wrong acronyms or names. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. :(

Sorry to go off topic with my post. But, I keep seeing players referring to classes that I don't see on the character creation screen. Terran Scout? It's possible some of the names I've seen in-game are just people using the wrong acronyms or names. I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. :P

Hi Biotek, seems you are missing something :blink::P There were 3 extra classes that never made it into live, they have been implemented in the Emulator :( Essentially they give each race the one profession that they were missing. You can only access them by installing the character/starship creator and then importing them. Below is some info for you :blink:

seekers.jpg

privateers.jpg

scouts.jpg

This nifty utility allows users to create their characters and starships outside the game, then import them into the actual game. This is an original program created by the fine devs at Westwood Studios.

If you want to try one of the 3 classes not in live, install the Character and Starship Creator and do this...

Right click the shortcut to the Character and Starship Creator, go to properties. You should see a "target path" on the general tab. Go to the end of what's in that box after the quotes and type a single space, then:

-noclassrestrictions

https://enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/138-character-starship-creator/

• Upvote 1

Terrell, massive thank you for your post, that's exactly the kind of information i was after :( Before your post i was set on the explorer but now i'm not sure again haha.

BTW, i'm curious when you say the TT is a better device builder than the TS and JE. How so? They all get level 7 BD no?

Terrell, massive thank you for your post, that's exactly the kind of information i was after :( Before your post i was set on the explorer but now i'm not sure again haha.

BTW, i'm curious when you say the TT is a better device builder than the TS and JE. How so? They all get level 7 BD no?

The Tradesman can build for cheaper, since they're the only class with Negotiate 7, they can also build components to make devices. (Comps whose manufacturer's name begins with an A, B, or C usually are not available in vendors, and their comps must be either looted or built by a TT, PT, or JT) The Terran Scout has Negotiate 5 so he can build devices cheaper than the JE who cannot negotiate at all. In addition the JE cannot build Progen devices, while the Terrans have no such restriction on building of equipment. (Jenquai cannot use or build Progen equipment, Progen cannot use or build Jenquai equipment)

Also when you build any piece of equipment with Player made comps, you're more likely to get 200% quality. Only Tradesman, Privateer, and Seeker can build components. The PT/TT/JT get ores either by buying them from an explorer or ripping components.

Edited by Terrell

Hi Biotek, seems you are missing something :P:P There were 3 extra classes that never made it into live, they have been implemented in the Emulator :( Essentially they give each race the one profession that they were missing. You can only access them by installing the character/starship creator and then importing them. Below is some info for you :blink:

Awesomeness! Thank you very much. :blink:

My main character is one of the few (only?) level 150 Sentinels in the game right now, so here are my thoughts on the PS:

The good: They're explorers, but they're Progen explorers. If you like the idea of an explorer who can fight with the big dogs just as easily as clear a high-level ore field, PS is the way to go. Level 9 shield tech is great to have, and a good set of equipment can make Navigate's absence hardly noticeable. They can bring firepower and jumpstarting ability to a combat party. Kassina is a top-level device builder, and despite what people say about other classes being "better" builders, being able to craft your own devices (and shields, if you wish) comes in handy at times. Sentinels and Privateers who have completed all promotion missions are awarded the schematics for the CFB, considered by many to be the best Progen shield in existence.

The bad: Combat skills are under-powered at the top levels at the moment. At combat level 50, using Terrify against a level 55 mob has a maybe 10% success rate, and Repulsor Field is capped at 1680 return damage. Power Down is a love-it-or-hate-it skill (I didn't bother with it). A small cargo hold coupled with the need to carry ammunition can be limiting at times, as is the inability to make one's own ammo. Level 9 Progen devices haven't been given much attention yet -- most don't exist in loot tables, and those that do are broken (although this may be true for level 9 devices in general; I don't know).

Hope this was useful.

Edited by Vinzent Zeppelin

PE can be described as a Jack of all trades, master of none. They do live up to being called "versatiles".

I also wondered why PEs were the least popular class in live, they were quite capable.

Edited by Terrell

PE can be described as a Jack of all trades, master of none. They do live up to being called "versatiles".

I also wondered why PEs were the least popular class in live, they were quite capable.

I played a Sentinel in live and I liked the character, but they don't get all the "fun" skills other classes get, like Shield Inversion, Psi Shield, Cloak, etc. A PS is fun to play because it can mine and kick ass almost simultaneously though.

I played a Sentinel in live and I liked the character, but they don't get all the "fun" skills other classes get, like Shield Inversion, Psi Shield, Cloak, etc. A PS is fun to play because it can mine and kick ass almost simultaneously though.

copy on that... having a ps was nice when mining and stuff got in the way... u just killed it and kept mining... plus call forward was nice if you had multi accounts...

I dunno. My 150 Sentinel has outdamaged quite a few combat classes, thanks to impact ammo + grav link + taniwha. If you're looking for "fun combat skills", an explorer is obviously not a class you want to play as, regardless of race. As far as being a slow explorer, I assume you mean once you get Navigate on the other classes, because you can still move quite fast as a Sentinel. With a NOS, I have 750 thrust and 5500 warp.

Edited by Imasock

I dunno. My 150 Sentinel has outdamaged quite a few combat classes, thanks to impact ammo + grav link + taniwha. If you're looking for "fun combat skills", an explorer is obviously not a class you want to play as, regardless of race. As far as being a slow explorer, I assume you mean once you get Navigate on the other classes, because you can still move quite fast as a Sentinel. With a NOS, I have 750 thrust and 5500 warp.

Slow was meant as a relative term. The other 2 explorers are faster than the PE by comparison due to Navigate, and in the case of the Scout, L9 engines and the yet to be implemented afterburn skill when comparably equipped.

PS FTW, obviously..

but honestly, it all depends on your play style.

I respect the Jenquai Explorer, and hope to have the patience to level one up some day. Its really(obviously) the best at being an .. explorer.

But the PS is.... versatile; but I must warn you here, that whole 'xen of mining' thing is easily disrupted by the progen marching bands. its the only thing that ever makes me doubt the "PS FTW" mantra.

and the TS is.... a better money maker (not so trivial when you are mining remote fields and need the hold space, or refining lvl 7+ minerals)

a very insufficient summary of distinctions, but again depends on your playstyle.

the explorers is all about which is ur main goal with it...if u like to be a pure miner...go je since none can beat a je at mining

if u want to mine some and being able to kill some aswell and make the best profit ts might be ur class and when u want to be a combat orientated miner which mines now and then then ps is ur way.

In live, I first pushed up a JE... Its my thinking that any exploring class you start with will be or seem slow in the beginning.

The scout also has the best potential to do trade runs with negotiate and navigate. They are likely the fastest miner class, but as a few above posters say, the sig cannot be reduced below base [2.5k]. And for the noment, there dont seem to be any HU missions for L30 and up yet.

As for skills, hull repair does come in handy with jumpstart. But hacking... I rarely used hacking on my te in live, never really liked the skill that much. Another downside to the scout is space for ammo means less space for ores [also true for sentinel]. Making the JE the most worthy for simply mining with a scout or sentinel to distract the mobs in the area.

In live, I first pushed up a JE... Its my thinking that any exploring class you start with will be or seem slow in the beginning.

The scout also has the best potential to do trade runs with negotiate and navigate. They are likely the fastest miner class, but as a few above posters say, the sig cannot be reduced below base [2.5k]. And for the noment, there dont seem to be any HU missions for L30 and up yet.

As for skills, hull repair does come in handy with jumpstart. But hacking... I rarely used hacking on my te in live, never really liked the skill that much. Another downside to the scout is space for ammo means less space for ores [also true for sentinel]. Making the JE the most worthy for simply mining with a scout or sentinel to distract the mobs in the area.

You can get the Scout/Sentinel below 2.5 sig, the advantage with the JE is that the base sig is 0.5 so you start at a lower sig to begin with. If you are using a Terran toon, using the Mercurius/Halley/Trifid line of engines will get your sig below 2.5 (3.5 if a TW), because the sig reduction buff on the engine is based on a percentage. As a result this particular engine line takes away more sig with it's reduce sig buff, than it adds to your total sig (if you're a Terran). The Mercurius, Halley, and Trifid engines go from L2-L9 and are available at vendors in Jenquai bases. 1-4, 8-9 can be purchased at Jove's Fury. 5-7 should be available at Prasad Station, Aragoth Station, and maybe Fenris Prime Observatory.

Another way to go is to get a Solar Sail engine, and find some other item with a reduce sig buff. In live the Hidden Eye and Invisible Eye devices were at least somewhat popular with Terran toons (was Progen restricted), until they got those buffs on some other equipment. My JE in Live had both recipes. The buffs on the items was reduce sig/increase scan. PE/JE could do the Lyle Mission in Live, a long mission, in the form of a series of sub-missions to make a ring. One of the devices given as a reward during the mission chain was the Loony's Special Gizmoblatsit, which lowered sig, raised scan, increased tractor range, and speeded up tractor beam. A great device for mining.

In Live sig reduction buffs reduced the base sig of a player's hull, but didn't affect the sig that the engine brought. In emulator, it seems that both the engine and ship sig are lowered by reduce sig buffs. (an improvement IMO)

Edited by Terrell

The scout also has the best potential to do trade runs with negotiate and navigate. They are likely the fastest miner class,

There is no noteworthy difference between the scout and JE for going into warp and flying between roids.

If anything wormhole makes you a much more mobile and faster miner, and puts you at an edge when jobbing to level up.