Compulsory Contemplation Skill

Has any one completed this? I can not seem to find Councillor Adriel at Observation Tower on dahin Planet. I found the tower but nothin happens when I get near the tower. I tried docking at the station and undocking and even leaving the planet and coming back. I can't find the NPC on the station there or on Paren station. I can't even find her in the npc search using the db search. I even made sure I had that Aspirant's Insignia in my hold. I have my lvl 135 Hull upgrade also.

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone remember what this skill actually did?

It held a mob in place, until the effect was broken.

The effect was broken if any of the following occured:

1. The JE moved, (Except for facing changes)

2. The Mob passed a resistance check

3. The JE's reactor ran out

4. The mob took any damage (Except for debuffers)

Compulsory Contemplation drained the reactor whenever it was in effect. Other skills could be powered up without breaking Compulsory Contemplation, devices could also be activated without breaking the effect, but even a JE's reactor would feel the strain of doing that.

Edited by Terrell

It held a mob in place, until the effect was broken.

The effect was broken if any of the following occured:

1. The JE moved, (Except for facing changes)

2. The Mob passed a resistance check

3. The JE's reactor ran out

4. The mob took any damage (Except for debuffers)

Compulsory Contemplation drained the reactor whenever it was in effect. Other skills could be powered up without breaking Compulsory Contemplation, devices could also be activated without breaking the effect, but even a JE's reactor would feel the strain of doing that.

This would seem like a rather useless skill, right up there with "Befriend"... unless it could "sleep" a raid-level mob.

Edited by -Seeker-

This would seem like a rather useless skill, right up there with "Befriend"... unless it could "sleep" a raid-level mob.

I would agree, I used it maybe 5 times after getting the skill in Live, and decided it was a waste of reactor power, that could be better used elsewhere. Probably worse than Befriend, at least a TT that used Befriend could make a retreat if necessary, we have to sit still or it breaks.

Edited by Terrell

Now if it could be re-worked to sleep *multiple* mobs reliably - it could have a use as a good crowd control ability.

I'd also like to see:

• 100% non-resisted effectiveness up to 5 levels above the casting JE's CL (mobs greater than 5 levels above the JE's CL would begin to resist at a rate scaling with the level difference, up to an expected total resist at 15 levels of difference and greater; 8 levels of difference would be a 50/50 shot)
  • Replace the continual reactor drain with a substantial one-time-per-cast reactor discharge (say, an amount up to 60% of full reactor capacity: this would give time for the JE to use a shield shunt (or get a reactor recharge/optimization buff from a JT) before the mob woke up
  • At least two tiers on this skill: a single-mob CC at L100 and an area-sleep (AOE) of up to 2500m at L135
  • CC not breaking when the JE moves - BUT the trade-off is the ability wears off in about 60sec, with a 12sec re-cast time. PARTIAL resists might result in CC landing, but a much shorter time for the mob to remain slept (risk being that the mob wakes up before your recast timer is up)
  • Mobs (regardless of CL) begin to gain resistance after being slept by CC for a certain number of attempts
  • Mobs hit with CC get -5 plasma resist (debuff) AND +10 Psionic resistance when "waking up"
  • CC would draw substantial aggro, especially if used repeatedly -- enough to where a warrior might need to use some effort to pull hate off the JE
Edited by -Seeker-

Now if it could be re-worked to sleep *multiple* mobs reliably - it could have a use as a good crowd control ability.

I'd also like to see:

• 100% non-resisted effectiveness up to 5 levels above the casting JE's CL (mobs greater than 5 levels above the JE's CL would begin to resist at a rate scaling with the level difference, up to an expected total resist at 15 levels of difference and greater; 8 levels of difference would be a 50/50 shot)

• Replace the continual reactor drain with a substantial one-time-per-cast reactor discharge (say, an amount up to 60% of full reactor capacity: this would give time for the JE to use a shield shunt (or get a reactor recharge/optimization buff from a JT) before the mob woke up

• At least two tiers on this skill: a single-mob CC at L100 and an area-sleep (AOE) of up to 2500m at L135

• CC not breaking when the JE moves - BUT the trade-off is the ability wears off in about 60sec, with a 12sec re-cast time.

• Mobs (regardless of CL) begin to gain resistance after being slept by CC for a certain number of attempts

• Mobs hit with CC get -5 plasma resist (debuff) when "waking up"

I'd leave it at OL 135 to get the skill, and require that the JE spent a skill point for the 2nd level.

I pretty much like that idea, but instead of 60% of the reactor, say have it take 2000 units at L1 and at L2, 2500. L7 Reactor Optimization, and L7 Shield Recharge use 1000 reactor on a JT (presuming that there are no buffs to the skill to reduce energy requirements). I'm pretty Sure L7 Psi Shield also uses 1000 units. So Compulsory Contemplation would use significantly more power than key JT/JW skills. I like the idea of it being a time based skill rather than all the restrictions it had in live. Not sure how fast 6 fully kitted out PW can kill a boss mob, but if Compulsory Contemplation is being used on the boss mob's minions it should affect the mininons for less time than it takes the 6 PW to kill the boss.

I would add a 15 second immunity from futher use of the skill on a mob after recovering from Compulsory Contemplation. (No Chain CC, just like no chain Menace)

Scaling the mob's resistance up from repeated uses makes sense to me too. (say +10 to Psionic resistance) It also gives the JE a reason to have done the Zach mission, or bought an Onyx Lodestar from a PE, TT, or JE that did. Perhaps the JT could get on it, by having her own device that dampens or debuffs Psionic. The Onyx Lodestar used 1000 energy or so at 200% quality, per activation, in Live. Had one, only used it a little. TT can debuff Psionic as well with one of the more easily obtainable Profiler line of devices. The JE has a better option in the Withering Age device (unless it's an extremely rare drop, it's easier to get).

Onyx Lodestar Level VIII

Jenquai Only

Explorer Only

Slow Weapons (Activated)

Reactor Drain (Activated)

Dampen Psionic (Activated)

Recharge Shields (Equip)

It's a fairly useful device, I think the lower level versions are more useful, but it's a big pain to manufacture any of the Lodestar Devices due to the need for the Sturdy Solar Panel in the Carnelian Lodestar (Level V) that is required to make the higher level ones.

Here's why few will use the Lodestar line of devices:

Sturdy Solar Panel requires:

Blackbox T62

Contact Grid

3* Sturdy Solar Cell

Contact Grid Requires:

3* Copper Foil Sheet

Cyclo 50 GHZ Modulator

Copper Foil Sheet:

Roller Press

4* Copper

Roller Press:

Mi Graphite Shell Casing

3* Sand

BB T62

Tantalum

2* Solaris Solar Shield

Sturdy Solar Cell Requires:

Glass Cover Plate

Contact Points

High Grade B-Silicon

High Grade P-Silicon

Glass Cover Plate:

4* Astral Glass

Transparent Steel

Contact Points:

5* Copper Foil Sheet

High Grade P-Silicon:

2* Phosphorous

3* Research Grade Solar Silicon

Research Grade Solar Silicon:

3* Abyssian Silicon

2* Black Silicon

High Grade B Silicon:

2* Boron

3* Research Grade Solar Silicon.

Given all those ore requirements, I can see why live devs let JE/PE build the Sturdy Solar Panel, and all of the sub comps except the BlackBox T62, and Cyclo 50 GHz modulator, and why they wouldn't be mass produced. Most of those ores used are at least fairly common in Live, the hardest part was getting the Astralite and Transparent Steel, and keeping track of everything you needed. JE/PE needed at least 1 maxed build skill, and max Prospect, to build one of these and the associated equipment built from it. (Lodestar line of devices, Balefire line of reactors, Firey line of shields

• 4 years later...