Game crash after logging to character select or selecting a toon and hitting enter....

Heya ... I wanted to post a problem that seems to reoccur often enough that it may need some looking into.

Initial problem ... Getting kicked from the game while logging to character select from in game ... (posting the EXE read out)BootfromEnBduringtoonSelect.jpg

The game closes to desktop and this is what the EXE shows.

Next: I start up Net7.exe and it starts up just like normal and I hit "Play" .... the client EXE gets stuck here ... AfterHittingPlay.jpg

This is where it would normaly read starting EnB and bring up the Terms of play policy and you would accept and start playing. This does not happen and it just hangs here... and leads to this ... AfterSittingaMinute.jpg

To get past this, I just have to spam the Net7 program and hit play, wait to see what happens, and if it does not start EnB(or bring up the terms and policy that is) then I close it and start it again and repeat this until it starts up properly and brings up the Terms and Policy window.

This isnt stoping me from playing, but its a hassel, and might be fixxable. I've thought about a few things to try, but wanted to get feedback first. As it stands, the game runs well aside from this and I am running on Vista 64, but have things running in compatability mode with XP. And it does it with or without compatability mode on the .exe files.

Thanks for any ideas.

post-5507-12697972716977_thumb.jpg

post-5507-12697973742388_thumb.jpg

post-5507-12697974476549_thumb.jpg

Heya ... I wanted to post a problem that seems to reoccur often enough that it may need some looking into.

Initial problem ... Getting kicked from the game while logging to character select from in game ... (posting the EXE read out)BootfromEnBduringtoonSelect.jpg

The game closes to desktop and this is what the EXE shows.

Next: I start up Net7.exe and it starts up just like normal and I hit "Play" .... the client EXE gets stuck here ... AfterHittingPlay.jpg

This is where it would normaly read starting EnB and bring up the Terms of play policy and you would accept and start playing. This does not happen and it just hangs here... and leads to this ... AfterSittingaMinute.jpg

To get past this, I just have to spam the Net7 program and hit play, wait to see what happens, and if it does not start EnB(or bring up the terms and policy that is) then I close it and start it again and repeat this until it starts up properly and brings up the Terms and Policy window.

This isnt stoping me from playing, but its a hassel, and might be fixxable. I've thought about a few things to try, but wanted to get feedback first. As it stands, the game runs well aside from this and I am running on Vista 64, but have things running in compatability mode with XP. And it does it with or without compatability mode on the .exe files.

Thanks for any ideas.

Just an idea... the next time you get kicked out selecting a character. check the task manager and see if ENB (client.exe) gets closed. Or if you could post a screenshot of the process screen.

I was about to post on this very issue. I do not CTD once in game but I will CTD 3 to 4 times trying to log in. I am also running Vista 64 with everything set to XP service pack 2 and run as admin, I am running .Net framework 3.5 also. Just like the OP this does not stop me from playing, but it does take roughly 20 minutes of repeated CTD to finally reach the character select screen before I can play.

I'm pretty sure this is a net7proxy problem. Packets tend to get dropped, and they're not getting resent, or not getting resent properly. I have alerted a Server Developer of the problem.

If the game won't start after this happens. You almost definitely still have an old client.exe or net7proxy.exe running. Look through the task manager's Processes tab to find them and kill them, as Dragonlady suggested. If that doesn't work, log in and out of your windows user account.

Edited by C Del

from the dumps it looks like it's nothing to do with dropped packets.

When you get dropped packets Net7Proxy will re-request them and hold until they arrive, and this mechanism has been shown to work very well.

You're actually not getting as far as any UDP activity beyond the initial login, which we know is working because the client is starting.

What appears to be happening is that Net7Proxy can't actually establish the TCP link to the client, which means something else is either using those ports or disrupting the sockets system.

There is an application (Cdel may remember what it's called) which tells you what applications are hogging the TCP ports.

If you can't determine what apps are doing this, it's most likely due to virus activity. Try 'Unhackme' from 'Greatis' software. This will remove most rootkit viruses which tend to account for the majority which are bounding around. I removed 5 rootkits from my GF's PC the other day after it started acting strangely - and she hadn't even been running any new programs, all from websites forwarded by friend's machines that had been hijacked.

Also CDel has a good point - after a server restart/etc, you may need to manually shut down the client. Ctrl+alt+delete, click on task manager, then click 'processes' then find 'client.exe', right click on it and choose 'end process'. If you can't find client.exe on the process list, then it's already shut down. Ending your game with /quit on the in-game chat/command means the client will always shut down cleanly.

hope this helps! and please let us know if you make any progress or not.

PS The ports in question that Net7Proxy requires to communicate to the client are:

3805 for the Global connection.

3801 for the master connection.

3500 for the sector connection.

If it turns out that other common usage apps need these connections (rather than viruses) we can try other TCP ports for the master and sector connections; these ones don't need to be fixed. If you're getting as far as character selection then there's nothing wrong with your Global TCP port, which is good because that's the only one we can't change (that I know of).

TB

I'll check into "unhackme" and see what I come up with ... further more ...

ProcessafterCrash.jpg

This is the list of process after the crash ... this time however, I got locked up at the loading screen ... wish I would have screen shot the EXE during that too ... its like I stopped communicating with the server or something ... my bad for not saving it ... but, I didnt see any client.exe or anything related to Net7 in that list. Heck ... maybe I do have some port virus that Norton's not catching ... we'll see if I can find and run Unhackme.

Quick question ... 500k max attachments? so ... once I hit that, which I am very close now ... will I have to go back to old posts and delete old attachments?

post-5507-12700019826362_thumb.jpg

sounds exactly what i had.

hope it help for you ,

nothing personal but i really hate reposting it for the tenth time ...

i am using default game folder for simplicity

to fix the crush after login on a win7/vista machine.

change the compatibility mode of the original game file :

C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\release\client.exe

right click , properties , compatibility type , select compatibility mode and select winxp service pack 3.

run C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG as admin , and save your settings .

run net-7 as usually and log in !

-------------------------

if game did not show up after setting the compatibility mode , you have to do this :

try running net-7 as admin .

if that does not work -

run net-7 as admin , and do force update.

after that

run C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG as admin .

if game still do not run after net-7 is up just use directly

C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\release\client (as admin)

after the proxy has connected.

hope it helps ,

haflo

sounds exactly what i had.

hope it help for you ,

nothing personal but i really hate reposting it for the tenth time ...

You didnt need to post, I found your adivce before I posted and none of this fixxed the problem I'm describing and thats why I posted. Believe me, I scour these boards all the time learning what I can. Thanks for trying, even if the 10th time, but no good.

Thorvald

You didnt need to post, I found your adivce before I posted and none of this fixxed the problem I'm describing and thats why I posted. Believe me, I scour these boards all the time learning what I can. Thanks for trying, even if the 10th time, but no good.

Thorvald

Thanks for posting the process list. Was sure hoping to see a stuck client or proxy. I still think this sounds like an issue with port/data being Stuck. I'll do my best to think of something. Maybe Cdel might be able to figure something out.

Thanks for posting the process list. Was sure hoping to see a stuck client or proxy. I still think this sounds like an issue with port/data being Stuck. I'll do my best to think of something. Maybe Cdel might be able to figure something out.

I appreicate the efforts being made. I just know lots of other people have this problem as well, so any data I can gather to help find out what exactly it is that causes it and eliminate it, then I'll get and post it. Helping however I can.

Thorvald

Would you be able to meet me on our Teamspeak 3 server or over Skype some time that we might sort this out one-on-one? Issues tend to get resolved much more quickly that way, and I'd like to take a closer look at your system to see why this is happening.

Would you be able to meet me on our Teamspeak 3 server or over Skype some time that we might sort this out one-on-one? Issues tend to get resolved much more quickly that way, and I'd like to take a closer look at your system to see why this is happening.

Sure, I downloaded it recently and will install/setup ... if you have normal times you are around, I'll find you, or set up a time to meet and duscuss.

Thorvald

Hi,

I am having the same issue.

Win7 32 bit everything works great UNTIL I try to enter the game after selecting a toon. Then the client closes and a minute laterm net7 proxy closes as well. No client.exe stuck.

On a different system it works perfectly.

I have run rootkit removals, anti-virus scans, etc etc.

Any suggestions?

To make a long story short ...

My old install of Vista 64 was making me angry, to say the least, and I started to do re-install it ... then, I said, bah to Vista and bought Win7 64 and installed that instead. So far I've not had my original problem ... so, while I dont like to condone a re-install of the OS as a solution to my problem, it sadly seems to have been a fix so far. I'll be in touch however if it happens to pop back up again.

Thorvald

Hi,

I am having the same issue.

Win7 32 bit everything works great UNTIL I try to enter the game after selecting a toon. Then the client closes and a minute laterm net7 proxy closes as well. No client.exe stuck.

On a different system it works perfectly.

I have run rootkit removals, anti-virus scans, etc etc.

Any suggestions?

I got it working -- combo of no windows fw, running proxy as admin and forcing updates made it work.

Thanks for all the suggestions.