Server reboots and Faction resetting

This seems to be a recurring topic in guild chat and in other channels -

- But does a server reboot require that factions also be reset?

Until recently, most everyone had access through BBW and from Odin Rex to Paramis (whether or not this was by design is not known, especially if it had anything to do with the recent {nerf/bugfix/exploit-fix} to the PW Self Destruct skill.

But laying aside any assumptions or speculations about that, or the various faction bugs affecting people -- is there a way we can come to a happy medium for folks who might otherwise be content to grind through 9,000 trash mobs to get BBW access, or 3,000 more difficult mobs to get the appropriate faction for Moto access?

I'm not going to cry too loudly over Moto; a few devs have indicated that Moto is far from being finished and the mission trees there are very much a work in progress ...(coughs at the 1.2M credit ammo fetch-n-carry mission for 5k credits and 5k exp)...

But for some, breaking BBW can be a bit of a heartbreaker for those who have grinded out all those trash mobs just to get access to the vendors with rare parts (or parts with extremely rare or non-drop rippable comps and ores), to say nothing of shortening a certain trade run by a few hops.

If server reset now and for the duration results in a faction reset, can we compromise and set the default Red Dragon faction to -500 or some suitable number that barely puts a player out of the yellow?

Or put in a repeatable mission (after server reboot) for testing purposes that upon successful completion, sets the player's RD faction to zero (perfect neutral) ?

Otherwise, the present situation leaves very little incentive to repeat the 9k trash mob grind each time the server gets rebooted once or twice a week... and for builders, it puts certain builds even further out of reach.

Respectfully submitted,

Seeker~

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree, Seeker, not to mention, some of the starting RD factions are a little harsh. -9K is a bit much for a start, especially if that would also mean that the most you could get was +1K. (In Live everyone started at -5K RD, and the most you could get was +5K, as the faction modifier from your affiliation, worked to make your RD 5K lower than what it would be if you had done the same thing starting at 0.) Also one of my guildies that was in BBW and killed some of the drones there, costing RD faction to do so. Shouldn't those training nav drones either be non-factioned, or increase RD?

The standard in Live for most was -5K, which would take plenty of effort to work off. 5000 mobs to get faction is plenty, IMO, considering you're getting 1 RD per kill of low level mobs, rather than 2 in Live from non-Chavez. (twice that if you killed Chavez in Live since they gave 1 point per 2 kills). Also if you do work to level up RD, and then there's a server reset and you have to do it all over again, with multiple alts, it gets old quickly.

Edit: I also noticed that the abandoned drones in Io, were factioned in Emulator. Cost my mule JE some IC faction to kill them.

Edited by Terrell

All BBW gates are unrestricted now. This will be in effect when the server comes online.

Thank you.

Edit - doesn't look like this survived. Not a complaint, clearly there were issues trying to push out the changes, just a report.

Further Edit - the Pirate gates are green but Paramis is red. Weird.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We'll change it back once faction problems are fixed. Factions have a lot of problems right now that the server developers are trying to fix.

Also, the Paramis gate isn't faction-restricted, I have no idea why it would be red.

Edit: I just noticed we missed the pirate gate in Odin Rex, use the one in Muspelheim instead.

Oh, I see. I fixed it, but it won't take effect until the next time the server restarts. In the mean time, you can just use the Paramis gate in BBW (which I thought he was talking about before).

Oh, I see. I fixed it, but it won't take effect until the next time the server restarts. In the mean time, you can just use the Paramis gate in BBW (which I thought he was talking about before).

Well since I'm the "he" people keep referencing . . . :)

I was noting that the gate TO Paramis IN Odin Rex was showing red while all the "traditional" BBW Pirate gates were green. For quite a while this was the only gate that non-factioned players could use to gain access into BBW. Of course since then we've ping-pong'd back and forth a bit as to whether non-factioned players had any access. So I just found it weird that we would have open access to traditional BBW gates but NOT the old "back door" gate via Paramis.

Hope that makes it clearer.

peeps, instead of verbal complaints, screenshot your faction lists, and post them up for the devs if you have an issue or think it looks wierd :) That may be more helpful. Like this:

factions_pt_28mar_before.jpg

post-1107-12698215785267_thumb.jpg

peeps, instead of verbal complaints, screenshot your faction lists, and post them up for the devs if you have an issue or think it looks wierd :) That may be more helpful. Like this:

thanks Ghent, could you log in again now, and see if your factions look any better please? I put some fixes through with the restart.

Sure. I was going to compose a post-restart/changes faction picture as well, but I can see no discernable changes post-restart vs. pre-restart. Anseria might have increased very, very slightly. I'm guessing that isn't what you wanted to hear %)

Not a bad thing. Nothing really seems to be "wrong" per se, with my characters' factions. :) I just wanted to get people to post pre/post faction pictures for comparison.

thanks, I didn't really clarify - I know some of the starting base faction levels are incorrect still - which hasn't changed.

The fix was for the people with corrupted faction levels, where all the factions were negative, some people had multiple 'unknowns' and for some only a handful of factions showed in the list.

There is meant to be one 'unknown' faction and it's there for story purposes (even though we all know what it is, our characters currently don't!).