Net-7 Launcher Enhancement

Hi,

I installed the EnB client and the emulator addons on a fresh XP SP3 image yesterday and the launcher wouldn't work. The answers were easy to find here in the forums:

• Install .net framework (3.0 and SP1)
  • Install C++ runtime (2008 redistributable)

Once I did that, smooth sailing. I was wondering if the launcher could be enhanced to 'sniff' these dependencies and provide clearer warnings/errors?

I don't think this is a bug, as the application appears to be working as designed (Gotta stick up for my fellow devs!). If it is, let me know and I'll cut a bug report.

Thanks,

Nillus

The thing is, the launcher actually needs .NET before it can run any code at all, meaning that if .NET isn't around, the whole thing is totally useless. It occurs to me that it might be possible to provide a native wrapper (doesn't require .NET) for the launcher to put out a more clear error message, but I'm not sure how that would mess with the updating function.

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll talk it over with one of the server developers and get back to you.

We don't want to use the standard visual studio installer though, and LaunchNet7 isn't always really "installed", so much as just downloaded and run. Thanks for the suggestion, though; that is usually the way to do it, just not for us.

We may be able to do this with a certain tool we have. I'll update you when I know for certain.

We don't want to use the standard visual studio installer though, and LaunchNet7 isn't always really "installed", so much as just downloaded and run. Thanks for the suggestion, though; that is usually the way to do it, just not for us.

We may be able to do this with a certain tool we have. I'll update you when I know for certain.

Fair play.

Another option would be to change the FAQ / installation walkthrough to include advice to install .net (and any other prerequisites) and links to where they can be found.

• 2 months later...

Installing 35mb of .Net to run 250kb of net7launch.exe is dumb. Something standalone and self-contained would be better.

Also, the launcher doesn't need to check every single .mix file, nor .th6 file. It also tries to patch some of the th6 files, which isn't necessary. These files are index or key type files that the game creates on the fly every time it loads up (if not already present) by reading through every .mix file. You NEVER need to make or change .th6 files; the game does it for you :P

The client update portion of the launcher overwrites mods the player may have installed. This is important because we already have many mods available on the forums, and installed by players - tattoos, orbitals, music, decals.

Give players using mods the ability to manually patch their n7proxy.exe and other files as needed. FTP or forum thread, or website - doesn't matter.

correct me if I am wrong... but it was my impression that the launcher checked all the mix files not for your benefit... but for the servers? in order to overwrite client side mods on purpose?

Installing 35mb of .Net to run 250kb of net7launch.exe is dumb. Something standalone and self-contained would be better.

Also, the launcher doesn't need to check every single .mix file, nor .th6 file. It also tries to patch some of the th6 files, which isn't necessary. These files are index or key type files that the game creates on the fly every time it loads up (if not already present) by reading through every .mix file. You NEVER need to make or change .th6 files; the game does it for you :)

The client update portion of the launcher overwrites mods the player may have installed. This is important because we already have many mods available on the forums, and installed by players - tattoos, orbitals, music, decals.

Give players using mods the ability to manually patch their n7proxy.exe and other files as needed. FTP or forum thread, or website - doesn't matter.

Well, you could always use the redistributable for .net 2.0 or greater and that's a much smaller size than the whole framework which is used for programming in .net languages.

The below is quoted from an MSMVP:

"The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework.

.NET Framework 3.5 uses CLR version 2.0 and so does .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0, while .NET framework 4.0 uses v4.0.

.NET Framework 3.5 includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1 as prerequisite.

Please read the following blog to understand the relationship between .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5.

See: http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/2007/06/net-framework-35.html

Secondly, we need to know more about the OS itself.

Windows Vista (all editions) includes the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 as OS components.

Windows 7 (all editions) includes the .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 as an OS component.

This means you have the .NET Framework 2.0 as OS component if you have installed Windows Vista and Windows 7."

To run the launcher you must have the redistributable: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en IF you're XP or older.

Now, with that in mind, all the newer versions of windows Vista and after come with 2.0 as a core component of any level of install. This means that you DONT need to download ANYTHING to play, the C++ redistributable might be an exception.. I'll have to double check that but I've never had to download it. However, I program on my own so I already had it in most likelihood.

We can set the prerequisites on compile, and set what needs to be done to have the installer handle it. It's just a low priority kind of thing and we never think of it because we're too busy working on other stuff. I'll look at recompiling the Launcher with the pre-reqs so that it prompts you if you don't have them. =)

Kyp

Ideally the launcher would have been written in C++ and wouldn't need the .NET runtime crutch. C# is good for rapid prototyping but it's like the dark side of the force; quicker, easier and more seductive ... although the end result is not evil, it is a sort of sorry, misshapen wretch worthy only of pity.

Until such time as it is re-written we'll just have to put the requirement on the launcher FAQ, maybe have the .NET executable on the same page as the launcher download - if it isn't already.

Also in response to the mixfile question - yes that's for your benefit - to ensure you get the graphics you're supposed to have.

"It is natural that such a thing as a running C# application should give horror, for it is obviously not a pleasing or ordinary occurrence; but I was used to similar experiences, hence suffered on this occasion only because of a particular circumstance."

H.P. Lovecraft

"Herbert West--Reanimator"

If its just the launcher, there is always the chance to do it like this:

With a link on desctop pointed to:

"C:\net7\bin\net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:87.106.15.67"

(default path used) (address for play server or dev server) (default path to client if not given)

or with a given client-path:

"C:\net7\bin\net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:87.106.15.67 /CLIENT:[path to client.exe]"

a start without the need of the Launcher. :(

greets

Hexergirl

If its just the launcher, there is always the chance to do it like this:

With a link on desctop pointed to:

"C:\net7\bin\net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:87.106.15.67"

(default path used) (address for play server or dev server) (default path to client if not given)

or with a given client-path:

"C:\net7\bin\net7proxy.exe /ADDRESS:87.106.15.67 /CLIENT:[path to client.exe]"

a start without the need of the Launcher. :(

greets

Hexergirl

yes, that's a good way of doing it, BUT ... you still need to ensure you get the latest Net7Proxy - the launcher auto-patches this. So currently there's still no way around the using the launcher now and again.

Yes Tienbau, you are right. But, there is no problem i think, to have the latest net7proxy(or the zipped bin-folder) always ready to download

here in forum. So saying as a service to all members who have problems with the launcher.

Just a suggestion.

greets

Hexergirl

PS: if im online(best try from 19:00 to 23:00 UTC+1)

bin-Folder on my PC for direct-download(packed folder or single files)

Yes Tienbau, you are right. But, there is no problem i think, to have the latest net7proxy(or the zipped bin-folder) always ready to download

here in forum. So saying as a service to all members who have problems with the launcher.

Just a suggestion.

greets

Hexergirl

PS: if im online(best try from 19:00 to 23:00 UTC+1)

bin-Folder on my PC for direct-download(packed folder or single files)

thinking about it, it would be easy to provide a direct download link to the actual Net7Proxy on the patch server, so you'd be guaranteed to have the latest if you download from that link.

Don't forget to use /POPT if you do this:

"C:\net7\bin\net7proxy.exe /POPT /ADDRESS:87.106.15.67 /CLIENT:[path to client.exe]"

thinking about it, it would be easy to provide a direct download link to the actual Net7Proxy on the patch server, so you'd be guaranteed to have the latest if you download from that link.

Don't forget to use /POPT if you do this:

"C:\net7\bin\net7proxy.exe /POPT /ADDRESS:87.106.15.67 /CLIENT:[path to client.exe]"

Sorry, /POPT i didn't know, must be new. Since i use now always the original path for the client i'm no longer using the /ADDRESS switch.

But good to know :)

btw, the zipped bin folder is now also downloadable here:

http://hexergirl.000page.com/ENB/bin.zip (all the time up)

greets

Hexergirl

direct URL is http://patch.net-7.org/Net7/Files/bin/net7proxy.exe ofcourse, but if DLL's needs updating user needs to track down the DLL's too.

Providing .zip would ofcourse 'fix' it, but then user needs to mess with unziping etc.

Launcher is needed to run at least once for EnB to launch (certificate, .ini files, registry, auth dll needs patching i think, etc).

.NET is actually good choice for this simple app.

direct URL is http://patch.net-7.org/Net7/Files/bin/net7proxy.exe ofcourse, but if DLL's needs updating user needs to track down the DLL's too.

Providing .zip would ofcourse 'fix' it, but then user needs to mess with unziping etc.

Launcher is needed to run at least once for EnB to launch (certificate, .ini files, registry, auth dll needs patching i think, etc).

.NET is actually good choice for this simple app.

The DLLs in the bin directory are rarely updated, if ever. Updating the proxy should be enough to keep you reasonably up-to-date for a while, unless an important client-side content patch is released, but that's rather rare to my knowledge.

Yes, I think the choice to use C# and .NET was good for this purpose. Of course, I'm a C# programmer so I'm inclined to think so, but the .NET framework is quite well-distributed today and it's quite useful for the simple tasks the launcher needs to do.