Undefined contests have no place in E&B

I had stated clearly that there was no need of me running around trying to win something that I could not win for a second round. I did not compete in the first round. Then it was announced that we could trade/sell what we won. I figured I would try with my TT so I could put it away for later.

(10):19:56:35 Tasha: rules are simple

(10):19:57:11 Tasha: 1st person to open a trade window with me will get choise of 1 Item

(10):19:58:12 Tasha:, Ok , I go Hide

The above was the one rule for winning. Then came the second round

(10):21:10:59 Tasha:ok .. I have a Hellbore and a let me look , 1 sec , a Eoff and a reaver , you can choose 1 and if you cant use .. you can sell .. 1 Item .. 1 winner ..

(10):21:15: 0 Tasha: whoever asked for the level 5 Duct Tape .. Sorry but I space anything that is not level 9 , but you can sell or Trade anything I give out

and in the end....

(10):22:19:39 Tasha:.. Guys .. I need to do this right its a uber weapon , Please leave area if you cant use Hellbore

I got the feeling someone was having a few beers. Limiting one-time items to only those who could use them was unfair to all unless it was done so in the beginning. The whining dude? I saw only one person whiiiiiiiiining in here and that person was whiiiiiiiiiiiiining about people not liking being jerked around. And we were jerked around. Like dogs being led around with a piece of liver. *shiver*

I myself will take a wide berth around any of these contests in the future. I just want to have fun playing, not being led by mindgames. I saw the power. I don't want to get anywhere near it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

GMs should not be interacting with the player population in this manner. GMs should not be supporting this kind of behavior among each other. This leads to favoritism, which is cancerous for any project this big.

Every time I pop in for a forum visit, I get let down by the way this project and its community has failed. Staff members should be focused on developing and polishing a quality product, not obsessing over loot to pimp their guilds with. I want to play Earth and Beyond again, not an endless ream of stress tests lead by petty and abusive staff members.

You people have squandered the opportunity to bring Earth and Beyond back to life, instead pandering to the desires of the vocal minority among your community (and your own staff).

A successful MMORPG emulator takes a certain level of discipline, integrity and maturity, folks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There was an event

It gave out high end equipment

Nobody knew it was going to happen

It might not have gone as smoothly as possible

I think it was blue chatted (meaning everyone could see it)

I really don't have a problem with events that give winners high end items as long as it doesn't give out too many of these items.

It was a good thing it wasn't announced on the forums in advance, otherwise the chaos would have been 5x more. Everyone was in the dark about the event so nobody had an advantage.

It could have gone more smoothly and the rules could have been more clear.

It might have been better to announce the event once in blue chat and take it to another channel instead of making everyone listen in.

I think we should take away from this issue that events should be more regulated, but as for what happened here just say "oh well" and move on. I don't see these 3 pages of arguing necessary.

Again the voice of reason.

But it seems nobody is listening.

Are we at the stage yet where there needs to be one person in charge?

In the transcript (chat log) Tasha stated that what she/he was doing was OK, so it was approved?

If so who approved it?

If it was approved it just went bad, move on, and learn from it.

Who is the head GM?

Have we heard from this individual yet?

Is Kenu the head GM?

If not he/she should be.

There was an event

It gave out high end equipment

Nobody knew it was going to happen

It might not have gone as smoothly as possible

I think it was blue chatted (meaning everyone could see it)

I really don't have a problem with events that give winners high end items as long as it doesn't give out too many of these items.

It was a good thing it wasn't announced on the forums in advance, otherwise the chaos would have been 5x more. Everyone was in the dark about the event so nobody had an advantage.

It could have gone more smoothly and the rules could have been more clear.

It might have been better to announce the event once in blue chat and take it to another channel instead of making everyone listen in.

I think we should take away from this issue that events should be more regulated, but as for what happened here just say "oh well" and move on. I don't see these 3 pages of arguing necessary.

Word ... B)

GMs should not be interacting with the player population in this manner. GMs should not be supporting this kind of behavior among each other. This leads to favoritism, which is cancerous for any project this big.

Every time I pop in for a forum visit, I get let down by the way this project and its community has failed. Staff members should be focused on developing and polishing a quality product, not obsessing over loot to pimp their guilds with. I want to play Earth and Beyond again, not an endless ream of stress tests lead by petty and abusive staff members.

You people have squandered the opportunity to bring Earth and Beyond back to life, instead pandering to the desires of the vocal minority among your community (and your own staff).

A successful MMORPG emulator takes a certain level of discipline, integrity and maturity, folks.

A project needs focus, consistency, planning, documentation, fairness, and accountability. Without any of these, the community loses confidence and the project tanks. I think people who are "whining" (to use the insulting and inaccurate comment that people use to wheedle out of discussing things fairly!) are less upset about the contest itself and more that the contest and by proxy the whole project appear to lack every single one of these factors.

• Upvote 1

Is the server down because we are being punished for being bad boys and girls?

Bad in that we are questioning those that have the powers to

(10):22:20:19 Tasha:and if I need to Ill send you to hell and back if you wont leave area

I would miss the game but really, start getting the management together it is long overdue, answer this post:

A project needs focus, consistency, planning, documentation, fairness, and accountability. Without any of these, the community loses confidence and the project tanks. I think people who are "whining" (to use the insulting and inaccurate comment that people use to wheedle out of discussing things fairly!) are less upset about the contest itself and more that the contest and by proxy the whole project appear to lack every single one of these factors.

How about a weekly post on the main page showing how the management is going to address each of the points.

1. Focus

2. Consistency

3. Planning

4. Documentation

5. Fairness

6. Accountability

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but this would go a long way to assure me that this IS the EnB project to back. Not a threat just a fact.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I am not a dev or a GM, but wow

and yes i am an addict to the game and yes i would like it up 24/7

but

these people are volunteers with lives out side of E&B

i do still think we could have more than one sever location so when one server is down

so addicts like me can play on the other server. :-)

or we can run the server on local is that an option still ?

over all I think they are doing a good job.

I would just like to point out that you are all whining like little babies about the GMs giving out free stuff. the first contest was for three END LEVEL items. The GM only threatened to send away people that COULD NOT USE THE GEAR what the hell is the point giving a progen or a jenquai a L9 missile launcher? yeah, fine, OK. the contest took WAY longer than tasha thought it would. WHOOPDY FREAKING DO! The simplest solution is the one i went with: turn off the chat. Quit whining do some problem solving.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I would just like to point out that you are all whining like little babies about the GMs giving out free stuff. the first contest was for three END LEVEL items. The GM only threatened to send away people that COULD NOT USE THE GEAR what the hell is the point giving a progen or a jenquai a L9 missile launcher? yeah, fine, OK. the contest took WAY longer than tasha thought it would. WHOOPDY FREAKING DO!

Before making really silly (sorry edited) posts......

READ READ READ

1st it was in violation of the rules they made up, 2nd, the "contest" rules changed mid "contest" 3rd a GM threatened players.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Stop and think the contest was done by a human. Humans make mistakes it happens get over it. This may possibly have been the first time she did one and could not foresee how people would react. People act stupid when they think someone else is getting something they are not. Everyone is crying about how it went about but if they just stopped all together and never happened again people would still cry. ITS a LOSE LOSE problem when dealing with people.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Stop and think the contest was done by a human. Humans make mistakes it happens get over it. This may possibly have been the first time she did one and could not foresee how people would react. People act stupid when they think someone else is getting something they are not. Everyone is crying about how it went about but if they just stopped all together and never happened again people would still cry. ITS a LOSE LOSE problem when dealing with people.

Done by a human or not,

If this person could not foresee the consequences of rule changing and threatening how can she ever be a GM?

Harsh question I know, but has to be asked for the sake of this emulator.

• Upvote 1

Done by a human or not,

If this person could not foresee the consequences of rule changing and threatening how can she ever be a GM?

Harsh question I know, but has to be asked for the sake of this emulator.

Indeed. This way I could be a GM too.

I'm good at rule changing midway and threatening is one of the skills I invested some RL skillpoints in.

• Upvote 1

Well, again.

I love EnB. I hate favorized ppl and everything around it.

There isn't any option for ppl who love game but dont want play on server where are few ppl with 'friend' status.

If any of GM put any item to his 'friend', there are only two option:

1, stop playing this avesome game because we can do NOTHING with this.

2, continue playing at same server with knowing there always be someone who is someone's other friend.

No offense but i like same rules for everyone. And if I see any of this on 'release' server, my vote is 1.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I dont know if this has been mentioned yet... but a GM does not have to hold a contest to give an item to a friend... I realize many of you may not have thought of that... so I just figured I would bring it up... sadly I guess after 4 pages of this rant thread I guess we will never see contests again as they are probably not worth the trouble :)

I dont know if this has been mentioned yet... but a GM does not have to hold a contest to give an item to a friend... I realize many of you may not have thought of that... so I just figured I would bring it up... sadly I guess after 4 pages of this rant thread I guess we will never see contests again as they are probably not worth the trouble :)

Werd. Why would anyone want to put themselves in harm's way? I'd like to say I'm really surprised at what a rant-fest such a simple thing can generate but, sadly, I'm not.

Ok - how about this as a possible solution:

1) The Devs and GM team agree to host a contest of some sort.

2) Instead of requiring direct GM - Player contact in the exchange of an item, the Dev or GM spawns a special monster or a hulk (lootable by anyone who finds it) at some totally random point on a map.

3) This hulk is guarded by a monster, or a group of monsters, at a combined difficulty level commensurate with the item -- or the item is inserted into to a special loot table created for a special monster just for the event.

4) The rules for the contest (must follow no more than five hints from GM staff to find the hulk/monster, must defeat and/or loot the hulk/corpse) are posted on the forums, and strictly followed by the GM staff administering the event.

5) The monster persists until killed, or hulk until looted. If placed into a hulk, the guardian mobs will despawn no later than 10 minutes after the hulk has been looted.

6) The contest should include items over a range of skills and difficulty levels, and be inclusive of different jobs (i.e. Explorer/Trader items in the hulks, and Trader/Warrior items in the monsters)

7) Overcommunicate! Post the exact prizes to be found (this presumes that the code can be done to make the DB and monsters spawn correctly).

EXAMPLE:

GM and Dev team agree to hold a contest to give away an Unabating Fire engine.

This item probably does not drop in game currently (formerly dropped from the L53-55 RD gunboats that used to be part of the Kuei Station spawns) and might make an excellent contest prize:

GM team publishes a date for this contest to begin on 25 March 2010 at 12:00 GMT, a few days in advance of the contest; on the day of the contest, GM announcements are made by one of the known HGMs (such as P5150 or P3990) in the blue "everyone sees it" chat.

A DEV spawns the special monster without any additional announcement, and the GMs start dropping a - one good clue every 30 minutes for a total of five clues.

High risk/rewards for the items: a CFB or a FOTM or Golden Tooth, or the aforementioned Unabating Fire or perhaps even a big stack of an exceptionally rare L9 resource should involve some great difficulty to get to and to acquire. Picking through a hulkfield camped by L50+ manes or Ten-gu, or perhaps finding it unguarded, but in a totally unexpected place most players would never go.

Likewise, lower level items such as a Ward of Living Stone or a Taniwha's Pride or Puk's Wing (mob which are often heavily camped and very rarely dropping these prizes) would be a 100% drop on the contest mob, perhaps a L25-35 mechanical mob lurking some place unusual.

And should the creation of a mob or other lootable object with the prize be too difficult to code or instance, the Dev/GM teams could always do a /createitem "Something" and place it in space as a free object in some challenging place to get to.

• Upvote 1

I like that idea. I'm not sure how difficult it'd be to set up mobs surrounding something valuable without using the sector editor and putting it in the database, but I think something like that would be pretty fun.

The Nathan Zhao event at the end of Beta was similar, except I don't think anyone killed him and he just trashed everybody :)

If the server can handle a few hundred people in one spot, go nuts! With the item creation tool, you could make a new item for these things instead of re-packaging the old. Having something truly unique (but not OP) would make these a huge success.

What that basically means is a Mob that can spawn randomly anywhere.

I don't see how a GM would need to sanction or announce that. An announcement over all-chat not unlike the tengus or chavez boss spawn in odin's belt using broadcast would be sufficient.

However, the AA approach from live seems better as an "ever-ongoing contest" in that such a device can drop from both a mob or appear in a roid/hulk.