Undefined contests have no place in E&B

On Wednesday night, another impropu contest was run by XXXXX (my edit). Rules appeared to be simple with anyone could play and the winner(s) would be given their choice between a Hellbore, EofTFF, or a Reaver and could do with it what they wished, they just had to be the first to open a trade window. For whatever reason, he/she could not keep up with the contest (may have been afk) and multiple people had trade windows open at the same time (if it where a player I am pretty sure you would get "busy" trying to trade with someone with an open trade window. Regardless, the contest got out of hand again with threats being made to players about sending them their toons away forcibly, banning accounts, and resetting characters to level 1 (very unprofessional for an in-game representative). The second contest ended in a rule change with only characters that could "use" it could win it, which means those same people could loot it in the game (or so XXXXX said, they were all supposed to be in-game items), so they already had an edge.

These contests currently just cannot seem to be operated without mass chaos erupting. I am not sure why there are no official rules for these that must be followed. I am not against them, but what is the point in having rules set up only to be changed in what appeared to some as very suspect in favoritism? There were better ways this could have been handled. Until someone can determine official contest rules and post them, I would favor not running these.

Devs and GMs hold status positions in the community and hold unique powers to ensure the game remains fair and use the powers mentioned above approriately. Please recognize that most of these players had a right to be upset and some spoke in the heat of the moment. If inappropriate actions were taken by these players, please deal with them one on one, as it appears to fuel the fire by messaging chat channels to specific people.

Hide and Seek games are fun to many people. If some rules are set and can be followed in the event of ties, etc., these games would be much more executable and cause less friction.

** This should have been in suggestions - my mistake **

I wasn’t going to say anything but… in other posts the powers that be said there would be no more “contests” until every Dev was on board with it.

Again I assumed that since it was being held it was a sanctioned contest.

As for it going horrible wrong, “This is a stress test” < joke I hate to see this for everything that goes wrong but had to throw it out there.

While these contests are good in theory, they usually end up in chaos and drama. If a Dev/GM wants to run them thats great, but atleast think the rules through in your head and stick to them. The first person to win was a lv-1 alt. Then there was confusion on the last prize (A Hellbore) and the GM ended up giving out 3 instead of 1 according to their comments in chat. This isn't the first contest in ST4 to go wrong and unless it changes it won't be the last.

Yeah it is a stress test and gear will be wiped yadda yadda, but that doesn't excuse poor judgement and planning on half this stuff.

why you talking about a contest ...that was something Tasha did but not a contest ...

at begin it seems like one ...all can come, search for Tasha and winner can take one but ANY of the 3 items offered!

after start tasha seems to be busy with something alse ... not sure if it was iRL or some game tells

...players had to remeber Tasha to give any hints but ..."im not in antares/cooper/bbw"

after such good hints , Tasha called that it takes her to long .... (erm if you have no time why start it ?!)

and told shes in sector where no mobs over 30 are .... well she was in glenn with a cl 60 mob ... a GM should at least tell the true and if you dont know the game, use at least www.enbdatabase.com sector search :) there nuff other sites i dont wanna spoil but have even better info to ANY sector im sure Tasha aware off

ok after 20min or so, since the start she got bored ...

and just told she is in glenn and first open trade just tell what item he wish

but once i was there with my PP and wanted a HB ...it was announced only items you can use right now

a TS OL 70 or something came by and wanted a Hellbore and he got it so he can save for later ...

then she docked and got again those 3 items and went to hide again

and was telling all the time she LOOTED those items by her self,

since the Kui not in game and was only for first 3 weeks of ST4

i relly cant belive that GMs all went there Killed the station and looted 5-10 Hellbores out of it AND only Hellbores !

seems been droping the first weeks of ST4 ...what a nice drop rate huh

So, IMO this was a BIG JOKE by some bored woman and not a contest ....

1,nothing been posted about it or any info given

2,the rules been changed during the contest

3,players that wonder why this such unfair contest, got threaten by reducing lvls, taking away SPs and such ...

I'm new to the ranks here so not sure this is gonna carry any weight but for what its worth heres my $.02...

The one rules change was a judgement call to adapt to an unforseen circumstance, that being a lowbie won an endgame item. I dont personally agree with the call, but I'm not going to call foul on it. This was an off the cuff thing, not a planned event.

I see Tasha as a GM who tried to spice things up. No harm there. I also got the feeling that RL was hurrying her along when things ran on long, and that kind of frustration on top of catching grief from people calling unfair on something she intended for their fun is enough to make anybody cranky. I also got the feeling the threats were made in frustrated jest. While I agree they were off color, so long as nothing came of them I think they should be let go. GMs are humans too.

I really dont see a need for further mudslinging on this one.

I'm new to the ranks here so not sure this is gonna carry any weight but for what its worth heres my $.02...

The one rules change was a judgement call to adapt to an unforseen circumstance, that being a lowbie won an endgame item. I dont personally agree with the call, but I'm not going to call foul on it. This was an off the cuff thing, not a planned event.

I see Tasha as a GM who tried to spice things up. No harm there. I also got the feeling that RL was hurrying her along when things ran on long, and that kind of frustration on top of catching grief from people calling unfair on something she intended for their fun is enough to make anybody cranky. I also got the feeling the threats were made in frustrated jest. While I agree they were off color, so long as nothing came of them I think they should be let go. GMs are humans too.

I really dont see a need for further mudslinging on this one.

and why you had to create a new user to post this ? let me gues you been that TS that won HB ? :)

would love to see your reaction when you on the flight into your hooliday and the pilot annonce during the flight that he changed his mind and gona land in uzbekestan or somewhere ...

Pilots are humans too B)

• Downvote 1

I wasnt around to see what happened... but if regular players are having a contest that its play at your own risk... they owe you nuttin and can lie to you at their discretion...

if this post is a result of GM's or Devs's holding contests... then imo deal with it... I am sure its a learning process and since contests can be fun... give them time to sort things out... holding legit contests is much harder than you realize... and in the end even if they do screw up sumtin easy... I guess that makes them... umm... human?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wasnt around to see what happened... but if regular players are having a contest that its play at your own risk... they owe you nuttin and can lie to you at their discretion...

if this post is a result of GM's or Devs's holding contests... then imo deal with it... I am sure its a learning process and since contests can be fun... give them time to sort things out... holding legit contests is much harder than you realize... and in the end even if they do screw up sumtin easy... I guess that makes them... umm... human?

Ummmm this is exactly like what happened not long ago. This was posted by Kenu:

Kenu

they have to make mission items for players that lost them. these mission items sometimes include devices and other equipment. It also gives them the ability to put equipment on their own ships. With these weapons they can kill powerful mobs when they need to help out players in bugged scenarios. Also, something about a GM using level 1 beams just isn't right. It's not intimidating enough.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. We DEVs and GMs aren't corrupt, though we have had an issue or two with staff giving out items. I wanted to let you guys know that it is completely against the rules for any staff to give out created items.

"12. A GM will not use the GM account/character to aid fellow players to gain credits, levels, experience, or any items."

In the case of them running an event, they should have talked to other members of the team before they did it. I would hope if the created items exist they will be removed. Any staff member who had involvement will be questioned.

Seems as if nothing was learned from the last one.

First off to the player who commented about "how the GM's are able to loot Hellbores". At the start of ST4 the kuei Station WAS in game. All GM's create a level 150 avatar with good equip to enable them to travel anywhere in the game and assist a player if needed...and with the strength to clear any mobs in the area. So, you figure the station was in game for about 3 weeks, it spawns every 2 hours or so, from my experience drops a HB "approx" 25% of the time. So it IS very feasible that a GM will have HB's and more nice loot stashed in their vaults. I am no longer a GM but I will say that early ST4 when no players were requesting my help I killed time in game going out and killing the bosses....the station, controller, fishbowl, etc, so I gathered several items. Many I vendored but I also chose to do some contests so players could enjoy some nice equip...AND HAVE A LITTLE FUN WHILE THIS IS STILL A TEST!!!!. So GM's having Hellbores legit? You bet!!! And on the GM's part the standard is if we are killing something on GM account and players come up we back off and let them have it.

Second, it's a test, the GM's try to provide fun and give the players a few nice items. Then the whining begins...yes the WHINING!!!! Always the ones who aren't willing to apply themselves to achieve the goals or are just tooo slow to react who want to whine about the other players winning. WAAAHHHHHH!!!! Get over it.

I know every GM tries to be fair and just in everything they do. It doesn't matter what the situation is rules will be griped about...even in real life. Look at NCAA football and the BCS, Nascar and their cars and rules, etc.

Someone will ALWAYS gripe about the rules. I will say it was me that ran the scavenger hunt contest, I stated right off first come first serve to get clues, and I kept notes of what stage everyone was one until there were winners....Yet the crying and whining continued.

I stated after that I would never run another contest when the whiners will run straight here to the forums and post how bad the rules were, how the GM's aren't fair, how we shouldn't have items to give away. And it is really toooo bad that a few malcontents can ruin what IS fun for many. So id you don't win suck it up and try later (if there are ever any more contests) And I would recommend no because even if the rules are published, even if all devs and gms are onboard with it, there will still be a new thread posted by some losers who just want to find a reason to complain. Did your game change because others players won some nice items?...NO. Go play the game the same way you were and hour before the contests and be mature enough to let those who do win enjoy it.

And sad thing also is the same ones who want to whine and cry are the same ones who expect GM's to jump and run to their bidding over issues usually of their own creation. (sold items for mission, can't find an npc, don't read what the mission tells them to do, and on and on!!!) These same GM's are VOLUNTEERS trying to HELP players. Then they get berated for trying to add a little fun for the PLAYERS. These are the same GM's who get dozens of tickets daily to try and solve and answer when 75% of the tickets are vague and don't explain the full problem. I.E "I can't get shield recharge skill" Helps if you give full details..class, time, date, NPC you were talking to, exact mission name from your mission log if applicable. So be mature and get off the GM's back for trying to help, for trying to have fun, and for VOLUNTEERING to do what can prove to be a stressful, thankless job. SUPPORT them instead of coming in here starting posts to condemn them for trying to do their best for YOU..THE PLAYERS!!!!

I realize that 95% of the players are great people who are very happy to have this game back to play again and who understand the roles the devs, betas and GM's are trying to fill and the difficulties involved. And that most players do understand and shrug it off if they don't win. This post is addressed to those who post in these forums for a chance to whine and cry...and same people almost every time there is a flame and whine thread.

Rant off...lock this BS thread and send those who are just finding a reason to complain back to their holes. I am no longer a GM for personal Real life reasons but I still hold a very high level of respect for those who give of their own time to provide a service (and a few moments of fun) to the players.

Next time think about it and let it go. Don't condemn staff for trying to add fun and don't whine because you don't win or because you aren't willing to understand that many things are not perfect....in this game and in real life. Grow up!!!!

With respect to those deserving,

WoLfX

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Shouldn't have to 'deal with' some stuff. Every contest/give-a-way Ive seen lately (3 of'em) has ended up this way. It would save them the hassle of any backlash, whining or legit, if they just stopped. Or atleast if the leadership would simply tell them "If you are smart enough to do it right then go ahead, if not then don't even try!".

First off to the player who commented about "how the GM's are able to loot Hellbores". At the start of ST4 the kuei Station WAS in game. All GM's create a level 150 avatar with good equip to enable them to travel anywhere in the game and assist a player if needed...and with the strength to clear any mobs in the area. So, you figure the station was in game for about 3 weeks, it spawns every 2 hours or so, from my experience drops a HB "approx" 25% of the time. So it IS very feasible that a GM will have HB's and more nice loot stashed in their vaults. I am no longer a GM but I will say that early ST4 when no players were requesting my help I killed time in game going out and killing the bosses....the station, controller, fishbowl, etc, so I gathered several items. Many I vendored but I also chose to do some contests so players could enjoy some nice equip...AND HAVE A LITTLE FUN WHILE THIS IS STILL A TEST!!!!. So GM's having Hellbores legit? You bet!!! And on the GM's part the standard is if we are killing something on GM account and players come up we back off and let them have it.

Second, it's a test, the GM's try to provide fun and give the players a few nice items. Then the whining begins...yes the WHINING!!!! Always the ones who aren't willing to apply themselves to achieve the goals or are just tooo slow to react who want to whine about the other players winning. WAAAHHHHHH!!!! Get over it.

I know every GM tries to be fair and just in everything they do. It doesn't matter what the situation is rules will be griped about...even in real life. Look at NCAA football and the BCS, Nascar and their cars and rules, etc.

Someone will ALWAYS gripe about the rules. I will say it was me that ran the scavenger hunt contest, I stated right off first come first serve to get clues, and I kept notes of what stage everyone was one until there were winners....Yet the crying and whining continued.

I stated after that I would never run another contest when the whiners will run straight here to the forums and post how bad the rules were, how the GM's aren't fair, how we shouldn't have items to give away. And it is really toooo bad that a few malcontents can ruin what IS fun for many. So id you don't win suck it up and try later (if there are ever any more contests) And I would recommend no because even if the rules are published, even if all devs and gms are onboard with it, there will still be a new thread posted by some losers who just want to find a reason to complain. Did your game change because others players won some nice items?...NO. Go play the game the same way you were and hour before the contests and be mature enough to let those who do win enjoy it.

And sad thing also is the same ones who want to whine and cry are the same ones who expect GM's to jump and run to their bidding over issues usually of their own creation. (sold items for mission, can't find an npc, don't read what the mission tells them to do, and on and on!!!) These same GM's are VOLUNTEERS trying to HELP players. Then they get berated for trying to add a little fun for the PLAYERS. These are the same GM's who get dozens of tickets daily to try and solve and answer when 75% of the tickets are vague and don't explain the full problem. I.E "I can't get shield recharge skill" Helps if you give full details..class, time, date, NPC you were talking to, exact mission name from your mission log if applicable. So be mature and get off the GM's back for trying to help, for trying to have fun, and for VOLUNTEERING to do what can prove to be a stressful, thankless job. SUPPORT them instead of coming in here starting posts to condemn them for trying to do their best for YOU..THE PLAYERS!!!!

I realize that 95% of the players are great people who are very happy to have this game back to play again and who understand the roles the devs, betas and GM's are trying to fill and the difficulties involved. And that most players do understand and shrug it off if they don't win. This post is addressed to those who post in these forums for a chance to whine and cry...and same people almost every time there is a flame and whine thread.

Rant off...lock this BS thread and send those who are just finding a reason to complain back to their holes. I am no longer a GM for personal Real life reasons but I still hold a very high level of respect for those who give of their own time to provide a service (and a few moments of fun) to the players.

Next time think about it and let it go. Don't condemn staff for trying to add fun and don't whine because you don't win or because you aren't willing to understand that many things are not perfect....in this game and in real life. Grow up!!!!

WoLfX

First off, I'm not ranting. I have all the gear I need and outside of some things that aren't even in the game there is nothing I would want. I don't guess I was online for the contest you ran, I was reffering to this one and 2 previous ones I was online to see (I did attempt one and swore them off after that one). As for the TIRED arguement of the Devs and GMs give up their own time to do this; so do the testers. Your time is no more precious than mine because you can write code, we're always told if we don't like it then leave and the same applies to you - If you don't like the headache and responsiblity then leave. And since you decided to rant and rave I'm going to bring up something I've been wondering about, and want to thank you for confirming:

I am no longer a GM for personal Real life reasons

If that's the case how come YOU were given a hellbore by another GM about a week ago? I saw it myself, a GM flew up to you sat there for a few minutes (I assume talking and trading) then left. After he left you magically had a Hellbore. I seriously doubt there are other Wolftx players in game. You were not even guilded into the Dev/GM STAFF guild. So if you want to start pointing fingers and ranting, it can go both ways.

• Upvote 1

WoLfX

Talk about fanning the flames of discontent.

Why would any GM attack the player base like this? Every question or bug report or issue is not whining.

It seems very fashionable lately to accuse anyone who is not actively participating in Dev/GM/Beta worship of whining.

Thank you for all you have done, but try to remember how WE got here.!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

First off to the player who commented about "how the GM's are able to loot Hellbores". At the start of ST4 the kuei Station WAS in game. All GM's create a level 150 avatar with good equip to enable them to travel anywhere in the game and assist a player if needed...and with the strength to clear any mobs in the area. So, you figure the station was in game for about 3 weeks, it spawns every 2 hours or so, from my experience drops a HB "approx" 25% of the time.

Soo... artifically levelled to 150 and geared accounts go out and get loot to throw off game balance. If you don't see why this is a terrible idea from a game balance and game integrity standpoint, I'm at a loss for words.

GM's should not interact with the player population. GM's should not create OR give players items outside of bugs deleting them or quests not working.

If you want to kill stuff and interact with players, do it on a personal account, not a GM account. When the refs are affecting the outcome of a game, it's crap.

I appreciate the volunteer time, but GMs are GMs, not Santa Claus. If you want people getting random epic items for doing trivial tasks, put Santa Claus back in as a mechanic.

• Upvote 3

I have one question, and one question only.

When the hell are you people going to grow up????

And I have one question and one question only for your question. What are you talking about? The ex-GM? The players? The contest? Life in general?

Guess that's five.

First off I am NOT a GM anymore....as I said I resigned for personal real life reasons. But I still respect and will defend those who are still GM's doing a thankless job.

Second, to Whitelighter. You are soooo wrong!!!! Know your facts before you accuse me or a GM of something. I know when you are talking about. The GM that flew up was a friend and came to join and talk for a few....maybe 15 mins...nothing more. I had the hellbore before he arrived...I was using it before he arrived so it appears you just want to create false accusations to create animositities among the staff and players. And at no time since I resigned has any GM or any other member of ENB staff given me anything. And, of course, since I resigned I am also no longer in the staff guild...duh. Yes, I do have a hellbore....I was allowed to keep it after I resigned. But it is a strictly looted one....I can show you in trade anytime it was NOT created by a staff member.

As I stated this thread should be locked now anyway!!! My last response and last time I post in these forums.

WoLfX

• Downvote 7

First off I am NOT a GM anymore....as I said I resigned for personal real life reasons. But I still respect and will defend those who are still GM's doing a thankless job.

Second, to Whitelighter. You are soooo wrong!!!! Know your facts before you accuse me or a GM of something. I know when you are talking about. The GM that flew up was a friend and came to join and talk for a few....maybe 15 mins...nothing more. I had the hellbore before he arrived...I was using it before he arrived so it appears you just want to create false accusations to create animositities among the staff and players. And at no time since I resigned has any GM or any other member of ENB staff given me anything. And, of course, since I resigned I am also no longer in the staff guild...duh. Yes, I do have a hellbore....I was allowed to keep it after I resigned. But it is a strictly looted one....I can show you in trade anytime it was NOT created by a staff member.

As I stated this thread should be locked now anyway!!! My last response and last time I post in these forums.

WoLfX

Ok, lets say for the sake of the arguement, you did get the HB legit while acting as a GM. Why should you be allowed to keep it? One of the main points of this ST, as we were told at the beginning of it, was to see how fast players can level without an XP boost. When you start giving out gear you start affecting that test. The players are told many times "Its a stress test", if you wanna test you have to do it right or the results become wrong.

If a Dev or GM resigns their position they should loose the perks of it too. You don't get paid for a job you don't do in real life, and the same should apply here.

But it is a strictly looted one....I can show you in trade anytime it was NOT created by a staff member.

That is completely irrelevant. The item should not exist in the player population. Whether a GM loots it or creates it, the item was not obtained through intended mechanics (players aren't intended to start at OL150 with pimp gear).

12. A GM will not use the GM account/character to aid fellow players to gain credits, levels, experience, or any items.

That seem pretty clear to me.

• Upvote 1

WoLfX

ok that was no scavanger hunt it was just hiding then geting bored and then changing the rules every 2nd minute

you really can speak for every staff member beeing fair and stuff ? wow welcome to the nexus B)

so its fair just to treat player like garbage and threaten them for just asking whats going on and why the changes ?!

call every1 that open a ticket for bug/stuck/buged npc a WHINNER ? arent we here to submit bug reports or do we test our social abilitys ? :blink:

you not a GM or part of the staff anymore and you dont know whats going on ? well great to know your opinion then

you talk about nescar and sport rules at all ... well you should prolly list some of the controling instances there are to guaranty its fair and it take months to apply any changes to the rules, where every team get info about the changes usualy half year before they apply so i do see your point on this ...changing rules during the contest every 2nd tell dont fit here :)

well i submited few bugs and asked GMs to help me but it was always because some bug , stuck in moto , loosing my faction every week and stuff WE ARE HERE to submit to HELP THE STAFF get rid of such bugs

(and i even try to volunteer to help since im working in the IT and spend(imo way to much) time behind my desc

i was turned down with words i would expect when i commit a murder or something not an offer to help ....)

and yes i took part in the contest, actualy in every contest i aware of/been online to that time

and yes that STILL A TEST ... about 16months ago there was a kinda "death"line for the test where beeing posted in 1 year

this EMU expected to go live ...so yes we STILL in the test and im sure every player LOVE the emu team for giving us chance to play so do I....

but how comes once any player point on some unfair or rude tactics we always get threated by losing our chars/lvls/membership and so on ?

whats this EMU for ? is it for ppl that want to play or we just testdummys and once emu is finished you will just close the emu and allow only the STAFF to play on the server ?

this emu is great and we geting alot of new players that never played that game in live , but this emu LOSE player left and right, even the staff start to break apart

"next time think about it and let it go " ....very polite ... in other words ...next time just shut ...

im sure once the ship sink you can call it a submarine but is that really the way you want to go ?

Thank You, every single person that spend time to made this EMU live !!!!!

Keep up the great work!

Not beeing ironic ..just every team have some black sheeps and we arent here in a dictatorship where everybody can be gone missing just for asking the ways of leading

i hope so at least ...:)

./hug

V.

edit: yes plz just close or even deleate this tread

• Upvote 3

Not beeing ironic ..just every team have some black sheeps and we arent here in a dictatorship where everybody can be gone missing just for asking the ways of leading

i hope so at least ...:)

./hug

V.

edit: yes plz just close or even deleate this tread

If that were the case I would have gone poof long long ago...... :blink:

• Upvote 1

And I have one question and one question only for your question. What are you talking about? The ex-GM? The players? The contest? Life in general?

Guess that's five.

Pretty much the whole works. Reading this thread is like watching a school yard full of 5 year olds fighting over a candy bar. Its a game for gods sake, and not even a complete game. Yet you have former Beta testers outfitting their guilds with tons of stuff violating the TOS only to get banned and re-instated. You have class wars between some devs and other staff members over absoultly nothing, you have players whineing cause little johhny got something they didnt, people flaming people over the most asinine of things. Its absurd, its time to grow up, relaize its a game, and one person getting something that someone else didnt in a game that isnt even complete is a lot like urinating in the wind. So take it how ever you want to.

Pretty much the whole works. Reading this thread is like watching a school yard full of 5 year olds fighting over a candy bar. Its a game for gods sake, and not even a complete game. Yet you have former Beta testers outfitting their guilds with tons of stuff violating the TOS only to get banned and re-instated. You have class wars between some devs and other staff members over absoultly nothing, you have players whineing cause little johhny got something they didnt, people flaming people over the most asinine of things. Its absurd, its time to grow up, relaize its a game, and one person getting something that someone else didnt in a game that isnt even complete is a lot like urinating in the wind. So take it how ever you want to.

I like the way you think, but was just confused as to what you were talking about. Sorry for the snipe, but the former GM saying that anyone who raised any issue was a whiner really got to me. Especially after this happened not so long ago and was said to be a no no.

I have one question, and one question only.

When the hell are you people going to grow up????

also ,

i was there that nite in the FB with 5 groups havin fun when Tasha started the hide and seek contest ... i see nothing wrong with what she did , wow people jump all over her for trying to create some fun in the game ,, really ? wow ...

hats off to you Tasha , keep up the good work...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3