EnB DB... for ores?

Is there any way we can get an ore section added to the DB so we can find out where certain ores are located? It'd be really nice to have some sort of small map thumbnail that pinpoints the approximate locations of fields containing the ores, or even just a listing of which sectors have them.

I'd be happy to work on something like this if it weren't as easy as I wish it would be. I've mined myself from 22/25/23 to 38/50/50, helplessly addicted to mining, but I get tired of running around to different mining spots trying to find a specific ore for someone that commissions me. Please let me know if this is possible.

~Imasock

I could see this as showing all the hidden roid fields thus making them unhidden.

I could also see a way to work around revealing these hidden roid fields and only revealing the locations of ore in common fields.

I could also see this workaround being a lot of extra work that probably won't happen

You're probably better off asking players where the roids are than getting the database to do it for you.

The main thing I see being a problem is that when you ask players where a good mine field is they might know a few, but the database will know all of them. To keep this game exploratory it would be prefered not to have such a good resource to tell players where to go.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear..

yeah while it sounds GREAT in theory, part of the greatness of the game is that there are things you can find... and within reason you could be the only person who knows about them

I've also heard about prospectors being VERY secretive on good spots... really the only thing you can do is get out there and look =/

To keep this game exploratory it would be prefered not to have such a good resource to tell players where to go.

I don't mean this in any rude sense but... think about this for a minute.

I don't understand why loot drops and everything about them are perfectly fine to reveal. Mobs, levels, and their locations are perfectly fine to reveal. Nav points are perfectly fine to reveal. Maps are perfectly fine to reveal.

... but not ores. How come "the game" (aka ores, the ENTIRE game, right?) has to be kept "exploratory" (by NOT pinpointing exactly where the ores are *gasp* like everything else) when 99% of the game (not to be confused with "the game" [psst, all the ores, in case you forgot]) is explained for you in fine detail in the database?

Having a database for everything else in this game that could/should be kept secretive just the same as ores, but not for ores, stuff which only 1/3 the game's classes can access (you know, the entire game), much less all 9 like the rest of the database, "to keep the game exploratory" seems a bit... ironic.

=|

Combat classes get everything combat-related laid out nice and neatly for them; all mob locations, all loot drops for profits, DPS values on weapons, etc.

Traders get everything trade-related laid out nice and neatly for them; trade run paths, what to buy/sell, when, where, and what routes to take to optimize profits, etc.

But us explorers with our "entire game" skill of prospecting, get stuck with zero info except what resources refine into what other resources, which is stated in the descriptions of the ores already. Why do I have to bust my butt to go to every single nook and cranny of the galaxy to find a few ore fields when every other class type has their entire class specialization information displayed for their own perusal and I'm stuck without being able to find a specific resource's location that I've been looking for, for the past 3 hours?

If the game has issues with being kept "exploratory" then all maps detailing hidden nav locations and stuff should be removed, by your own definition above, because that makes the game "less exploratory".

not everyone is happy about everything being revealed which is why we've been delaying the database dumps for a while after content updates so players can't use it to discover new content our content developers have added.

Yet when we talk about getting rid of the whole database, many players get upset and say we have to release data.

This is what I was working on when running around to try and track some of the ores.

However; until things become a bit more stable, this type of thing is going to change a lot.

Grrrrr, it will not allow me to upload the excel spread sheet I was using.

Interesting.

If you've gained almost 70 levels strictly from mining (and are into spillover xp from it)... it stands to reason that you are among the epic miners who should already know all the current L9 ore sweet spots.

And I think that the majority of miners (at least those who are specialized to certain L9 ore types) like to either keep their fave locations secret, or at least *think* that their locations are relatively unknown by other miners.

It's probably more of a psychological thing, in that ores are pretty much the cornerstone of the server economy.

What sort of effect that having most L8-L9 fields becoming "common knowledge" is debatable, I think: it is hard to guage now due to the fluid nature of a pre-Alpha game.

In a Live game, especially when the majority of the population are OL150 with several OL100+ alts to include miners, most of these "secret" locations will be an open secret: well known by most, but infrequently spoken of.

Interesting.

If you've gained almost 70 levels strictly from mining (and are into spillover xp from it)... it stands to reason that you are among the epic miners who should already know all the current L9 ore sweet spots.

Mining for EXP is completely different than mining for actual ores. I mined in two locations that entire time because there was a relatively small selection of ores in both locations, minimizing my cargo usage and making it easy for me to continue mining for long periods of time without having to travel to a station.

I don't mean this in any rude sense but... think about this for a minute.

I don't understand why loot drops and everything about them are perfectly fine to reveal. Mobs, levels, and their locations are perfectly fine to reveal. Nav points are perfectly fine to reveal. Maps are perfectly fine to reveal.

... but not ores. How come "the game" (aka ores, the ENTIRE game, right?) has to be kept "exploratory" (by NOT pinpointing exactly where the ores are *gasp* like everything else) when 99% of the game (not to be confused with "the game" [psst, all the ores, in case you forgot]) is explained for you in fine detail in the database?

Having a database for everything else in this game that could/should be kept secretive just the same as ores, but not for ores, stuff which only 1/3 the game's classes can access (you know, the entire game), much less all 9 like the rest of the database, "to keep the game exploratory" seems a bit... ironic.

=|

Combat classes get everything combat-related laid out nice and neatly for them; all mob locations, all loot drops for profits, DPS values on weapons, etc.

Traders get everything trade-related laid out nice and neatly for them; trade run paths, what to buy/sell, when, where, and what routes to take to optimize profits, etc.

But us explorers with our "entire game" skill of prospecting, get stuck with zero info except what resources refine into what other resources, which is stated in the descriptions of the ores already. Why do I have to bust my butt to go to every single nook and cranny of the galaxy to find a few ore fields when every other class type has their entire class specialization information displayed for their own perusal and I'm stuck without being able to find a specific resource's location that I've been looking for, for the past 3 hours?

If the game has issues with being kept "exploratory" then all maps detailing hidden nav locations and stuff should be removed, by your own definition above, because that makes the game "less exploratory".

I really don't mean this to be rude either but if you spent as much time looking for external resources for Earth and Beyond as you spent on this post you would already know there is a pretty detailed map system that shows the location, level, and type of ores for every system.

Edit:

And honestly with Level and Asteroid type spelled out for you if you can't deduce from that what exact ores by name drop from there do a little more searching and you'll find a full table from the times of Live of what ores drop at what level in what type of Asteroid. That is if you haven't figured that out by now since it sounds like you've mined plenty.

I personally think its a good thing there is not readily accessible ores db.. i like to find me some nice spots. Now i'm not one who doesn't ask other players where to find ores (I do, and get some interesting answers sometimes, hehe), and I'll tell any player that asks me, but thats player to player interaction and still keeps things fun and role-play-ed(?!?) but to have a DB which tells any player without any effort where ores are takes a lot of the feel of the explore classes away. Remember that this is MORE important for an explore class because most likely someone who makes this class likes exploring hehe. So personally I don't really agree that its unfair or w/e to have loot database and not an ore database.

(hoping to be back in game in the next 24hrs - just back from a long trip)

Please, please, please - we DONT need a map with all the answers. Go find these spots. There are no surprises where the best orefields are. They are in the hardest systems. And they are not on the nav paths.

To find the hidden orefields you need to maximise your scan with skill/equip/activated and then go on a thorough and exhaustive search grid using free warp. It only takes 40mins to do a moderate sized system. Some systems are surprisingly big. And if you have see-cloak you just might trip over some interesting finds. Once you have found a dozen fields you'll realise that they are in pretty (un)obvious places.

I still grumble about the lack of interesting high end fields, with interesting high end mobs and hulks....but there are plenty of fields to discover.

Also the analogy with the MOB db is incorrect. The boss and mob locations, spawn times are not general knowledge and you still have to rely on discovery or player tips.

IMHO...

I think that the spawns of ore fields and the possibility of those fields being guarded should be somewhat randomized with each server reset, or at least moved around on an infrequent basis.

Keeps miners on their toes, and things interesting.

But of course, I'm kinda evil like that. It's probably a good thing I'm not a content dev, heheh... :D

Ore Database:

Lvl 9 Astroids/Hydrocarbons/Crystals/Gas can be found in the following systems:

Tarsis, Primus, IO, Xipe Topec, Dahin, Glenn, Carpenter, Shep, Grissom, Cooper, BBW, Paramis, Antares, VC, VG, Fenris, AP, VT, Jot, Ragnarok, Freya, Niff cloud, yokan, lagarto, endriago, deneb, earth, mars, jup, 61 cyg, inverness and glorys orbit.

Those are systems with lvl 9 roids in them for you to find.

There used to be alot more fields in live than there are in the emulator, i know cuz i remember most of the field locations. Some of the old fields even have mobs just no rocks.

A general rule of thumb, is to search enbdatabase for manes and other ore gaurdians (cl45+) every system listed that has manes (cl45+) Freespacers cl45+, and Bio-*'s (bio extractor, strand theif, bio wraith, ect ect) cl 43+ most likely has a lvl 9 ores in a lvl 8 field guarded by them. (Again enbdatabase just lists the system they are in, dosent tell you where to find them within that system)

I only know of 3 pure lvl 9 fields (maybe 13-15 rocks spawn every 30 minutes) they are in the systems i listed above.

Hope this helps a little bit in your documation of resources.

Cia