Anyone successfully set up thier own local net7 server?

wow this thread got big fast... cdel I didnt realize you are in college... what school... and definitely keep that as a priority over enb... like omg make sure of that... I know how hard it is, I just got my AS degree from NCC last week (at age 46 :( ) and am signed up for classes full time in the fall to keep going (along with working ft and having 3 kids)... and you DONT wanna be in that boat... I forget that we have a lot of people in their teens and early 20's playing...

if your not posting a 3.8 - 4.0 gpa then your playing enb too much :)

as for the home servers... all the info that is needed to figure it out can be googled under <go learn it for yourself we dont have time to hold your hand> :) so let them deal with that and if other forum users can help fine... if not let them go learn...

as for the home servers... all the info that is needed to figure it out can be googled under <go learn it for yourself we dont have time to hold your hand> :( so let them deal with that and if other forum users can help fine... if not let them go learn...

Wow, what a stupid reply. And Avani, what "we" are you refering to? You certainly weren't asked for anything.

You need a compatible DB to do that 'learnin. It's my understanding there hasn't been one for some time as there was an out of date one that needed a script to make functional and that was all lost when the big server crash happened. That's the real point of this thread if you'd bothered to really read it.

There had been some fear that a competing splinter group was trying to set up their own server and there was a "lock down" on support for home servers but that cat has left its bag and sailed some time ago. After that was clear there was a promise to do a DB release of some sort.

I agree this not an "urgent/pri one" request, but there has been a DB shaped hole that has kept some folks interested in learning more about the project blocked for some time. I'm not screaming for this to happen immediately but I am going to continue to ping folks so it does happen eventually. I think there are a number of folks that would agree this is ultimately good for the project and the support of the community.

And Cdel, I agree, school first, E&B second, this third-ish, if you get some time free.

Spacegrrrl

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

wow this thread got big fast... cdel I didnt realize you are in college... what school... and definitely keep that as a priority over enb... like omg make sure of that... I know how hard it is, I just got my AS degree from NCC last week (at age 46 :( ) and am signed up for classes full time in the fall to keep going (along with working ft and having 3 kids)... and you DONT wanna be in that boat... I forget that we have a lot of people in their teens and early 20's playing...

if your not posting a 3.8 - 4.0 gpa then your playing enb too much :)

as for the home servers... all the info that is needed to figure it out can be googled under <go learn it for yourself we dont have time to hold your hand> :) so let them deal with that and if other forum users can help fine... if not let them go learn...

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to go to college while working and raising kids; I find it hard enough already. I go to Penn State (a branch campus). Out of curiosity, what does NCC stand for?

Wow, what a stupid reply. And Avani, what "we" are you refering to? You certainly weren't asked for anything.

You need a compatible DB to do that 'learnin. It's my understanding there hasn't been one for some time as there was an out of date one that needed a script to make functional and that was all lost when the big server crash happened. That's the real point of this thread if you'd bothered to really read it.

There had been some fear that a competing splinter group was trying to set up their own server and there was a "lock down" on support for home servers but that cat has left its bag and sailed some time ago. After that was clear there was a promise to do a DB release of some sort.

I agree this not an "urgent/pri one" request, but there has been a DB shaped hole that has kept some folks interested in learning more about the project blocked for some time. I'm not screaming for this to happen immediately but I am going to continue to ping folks so it does happen eventually. I think there are a number of folks that would agree this is ultimately good for the project and the support of the community.

And Cdel, I agree, school first, E&B second, this third-ish, if you get some time free.

Spacegrrrl

I'd really appreciate it if you didn't call anyone stupid. Disagreeing is fine, but I don't want any fights popping up here.

Indeed the DB is a roadblock to anyone setting up a server at home, but I routinely use copies of the database that are several months old, simply because I'm too lazy to sync it to Net7's servers. I think you should be able to run the server with the newest currently available database, though I admit it wouldn't be with optimal results.

Also, you are correct in that the "splinter" group, as it were, has their servers all set up, so that's no longer a concern.

I will do my best to get a guide up in the next couple weeks.

I'll put together a definitive static build with the source code, binary and SQL dump which are guaranteed to work together.

We'll restrict the dump to the Sol system, which won't interfere with anyone trying anything at all - you can still add whatever mobs/items etc you want to any of the sectors and set the ship to any level too. Also the startup will be a lot quicker too.

I'd support anyone wanting to learn coding, sector crafting etc, BUT please be aware that not everyone's PC will be able to run the server.

You need a clean PC, and some programs you may have running (with or without your knowledge) may interfere with the server's operation which is outside of our control. Also trying to learn coding from the server is not a good place to start really, but that's not my call.

The package will be guaranteed to work on a well maintained PC, but whereas you could maybe blag it getting the old XML content server to run without reading the setup guide, you certainly won't be able to skip any steps for the SQL build.

I think this is a good compromise which serves all the needs of people wanting to get their own servers running.

cheers,

TB

I'll put together a definitive static build with the source code, binary and SQL dump which are guaranteed to work together.

We'll restrict the dump to the Sol system, which won't interfere with anyone trying anything at all - you can still add whatever mobs/items etc you want to any of the sectors and set the ship to any level too. Also the startup will be a lot quicker too.

I'd support anyone wanting to learn coding, sector crafting etc, BUT please be aware that not everyone's PC will be able to run the server.

You need a clean PC, and some programs you may have running (with or without your knowledge) may interfere with the server's operation which is outside of our control. Also trying to learn coding from the server is not a good place to start really, but that's not my call.

The package will be guaranteed to work on a well maintained PC, but whereas you could maybe blag it getting the old XML content server to run without reading the setup guide, you certainly won't be able to skip any steps for the SQL build.

I think this is a good compromise which serves all the needs of people wanting to get their own servers running.

cheers,

TB

Just wondering why such a restricted DB release as compared to the previous DB release? That was basically a full DB trailing by a few months. Seems like there must be some aspects of content creation not present in just the single system.

At any rate, the streamlined package you describe will be appreciated I am sure, as it definitely will let folks that want to fiddle around and learn more about the project do just that. I know I just finished putting together a new dev box and look forward to getting a look at the latest server code.

So for that I say huge thanks in advance!

Spacegrrrl

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just wondering why such a restricted DB release as compared to the previous DB release? That was basically a full DB trailing by a few months. Seems like there must be some aspects of content creation not present in just the single system.

The main thing is that creating content is hugely time consuming, and with the data mining tools people knocked together to easily find hidden things from the databases we released, the content team who were spending days/weeks (of their free time) creating the content were getting - very understandably - disheartened by having them bust open in seconds. What's the point in lovingly tucking nice surprises away if someone can find them just from a simple query search?

So for that reason we will be putting together a static build for people that want to try things out; the server code released will be checked that it works with the released database. Once that's done the package will stand, so anyone wanting to tinker will always be able to do so from that package.

The main thing is that creating content is hugely time consuming, and with the data mining tools people knocked together to easily find hidden things from the databases we released, the content team who were spending days/weeks (of their free time) creating the content were getting - very understandably - disheartened by having them bust open in seconds. What's the point in lovingly tucking nice surprises away if someone can find them just from a simple query search?

So for that reason we will be putting together a static build for people that want to try things out; the server code released will be checked that it works with the released database. Once that's done the package will stand, so anyone wanting to tinker will always be able to do so from that package.

Instead of asking in game or a forum search, or the pretty comprehensive player produced databases and resources.....

I sort of thought that discussion was had to an agreed to conclusion a while back and the decision was made to just trail the new content by some reasonable period to keep the "surprises" surprises. I'd link the topic but the discussion I think predated the forum crash.

Well, not my call so I guess we'll take what we can get, again, thanks for any effort made to support folks intersted in exploring the inner workings of the server,

Spacegrrl

• Upvote 1

There are always 2 sides of the medal.

And i think what TB said is a good compromise.

As you can see from thread starter it isn't just that easy to setup a server,

so if there is a package with all you need to setup the server(just not the newest), everyone can

play around with it.

btw, i for my self also haven't access to the newest db to work with at home(it's the latest released one),

and my skills are not working correct, but hey, for testing purpose it does the job.

Oh, and for jackrussel:

if you also compile the Net7SSL then it shoud work. I had the same problem the first time with the new server :)

greets

Hexergirl

There are always 2 sides of the medal.

And i think what TB said is a good compromise.

As you can see from thread starter it isn't just that easy to setup a server,

so if there is a package with all you need to setup the server(just not the newest), everyone can

play around with it.

btw, i for my self also haven't access to the newest db to work with at home(it's the latest released one),

and my skills are not working correct, but hey, for testing purpose it does the job.

Oh, and for jackrussel:

if you also compile the Net7SSL then it shoud work. I had the same problem the first time with the new server :)

greets

Hexergirl

Does your DB have more than one system? Could we get a copy of that one? Maybe the folks that want to set up a server could sort out the skills issue with that one and share that one among themselves.

Spacegrrrl

Spacegrrrl

Edited by spacegrrrl

As far as i understand, there is a Database Dump and User Database that is designed to work with the files available on the SVN.

These files are named differently to the dumps we used to do.

Im not sure what content is part of these dumps, but i beleive it is more than one system.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

local server successfully built and running.

http://www.net-7.org/database/Stable.sql needs a few fixes [1]

http://www.net-7.org/database/Net7_User.sql didnt load for some procedure/trigger error, MySQL is 5.1.41. File should have all the correct tables and is newer than i used.

SVN version needs to be compiled under 'Debug'. 'Release' will crash (using Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition)

SVN version needs a few fixes tho:

- Net7SSL needs a bit help to figure out how station id is calculated [2]

so raw notes:

- compile net7, net7ssl                                                                                                              
  - this creates c:\net7\bin\net7.exe and c:\net7\bin\net7ssl.exe
- copy trunk\net7\bin\libmysql.dll to c:\net7\bin
- create c:\net7\database
- copy trunk\net7\database\cbasset.xml to c:\net7\database
- copy trunk\net7\database\skills.xml to c:\net7\database
- copy trunk\net7\database\galaxymap.dat to c:\net7\database
- create c:\net7\bin\net7config.cfg
domain=localhost
mysql_user=enb
mysql_pass=enbserver
mysql_host=localhost:3306
mysql_db=net7
galaxy_name=Test Shard
internal_ip=<your ip> or 127.0.0.1
- create <domain>.cer and <domain>.pem files (can copy local.net-7.org files)
- install mysql (http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.1.html or google xampp)
- create net7 and net7_user tables (use navicat lite)
  - import net7.sql and net7_user.sql to their tables
  - allow user 'enb' access to 'net7' and 'net7_user' tables from localhost
- create admin user
  - query in navicat: insert into net7_user.accounts (id, username, password, status) values(1, 'admin', md5('admin'), 100);
- go to c:\net7\bin
- run net7.exe
- run launcher and set <internal_ip> as host

i think that was all

alter-table.txt

commit-5ae9b4a.txt

alter-table.txt

commit-5ae9b4a.txt

Edited by karu