Anyone successfully set up thier own local net7 server?

I apologize if this isn't the correct place to post this. I have been trying to get my own local net7 server going on my home network to play around with. Has anyone out there been able to get it to fully work? Going off CDEL's original instructions, I check out the repos with svn, create and instance with mysql, populate the data to net7 and net7_user, create my account in the sql command line, compile it with VC++, copy the databse from the repos to the net7 folder and modify the cfg and the sector_servers..I have done the routine on 3 different pcs, 2 with xp and one with 2003 server and i get the same result. Net7 launches and loads tables and data from sql and everything appears to be working.

net7.exe server window says mailslot created successfully.

Registering sector server: port=3502, max_sectors=300

then I launch the client..in this case same machine but i get the same results from a remote machine.

I AM changing the host to 127.0.0.1 and also checking local cert. I also made sure the local cert is the newer one that is not expired.

upon lauching client, server net7.exe window shows:

Received MVAS login [1] -- client IP addr is 192.168.1.113 (the local IP of this machine)

at the same time in the net7proxy.exe window it shows:

RegisterSectorServer at IP address 127.0.0.1, port 3500

MVAS thread running

I click I agree to the client and then i see on the net7proxy.exe (clientside) window:

User 'jackrussell' logging in from IP: 127.0.0.1

Sending username/password.

Unable to connect to Sector Server: 192.168.1.113:3807 (local IP of this machine)

Unable to establish login link to server ...

MVAS thread running

I DO have everything updated fully in windows, firewall is disabled. dot net is 3.5 sp1 fully updated, and the repos are the most recent as are the sql's and net7 laucher. I do get the same result launching the net7proxy from a command line "net7proxy /LC"

Anybody been able to get past this? Any input from the staff? I would be most appreciative :)

Thankyou for reading and sorry so long.

PS. the line in the EA client's auth.ini for login: LKeyUrl=https://local.net-7.org/misc/touchsession.jsp?lkey=%s

When I put this in a browser while net7.exe (server) is running, I get a page that says "success" so to my limited knowledge, I believe the login authentication process is running.

• Upvote 2

I apologize if this isn't the correct place to post this. I have been trying to get my own local net7 server going on my home network to play around with. Has anyone out there been able to get it to fully work? Going off CDEL's original instructions, I check out the repos with svn, create and instance with mysql, populate the data to net7 and net7_user, create my account in the sql command line, compile it with VC++, copy the databse from the repos to the net7 folder and modify the cfg and the sector_servers..I have done the routine on 3 different pcs, 2 with xp and one with 2003 server and i get the same result. Net7 launches and loads tables and data from sql and everything appears to be working.

net7.exe server window says mailslot created successfully.

Registering sector server: port=3502, max_sectors=300

then I launch the client..in this case same machine but i get the same results from a remote machine.

I AM changing the host to 127.0.0.1 and also checking local cert. I also made sure the local cert is the newer one that is not expired.

upon lauching client, server net7.exe window shows:

Received MVAS login [1] -- client IP addr is 192.168.1.113 (the local IP of this machine)

at the same time in the net7proxy.exe window it shows:

RegisterSectorServer at IP address 127.0.0.1, port 3500

MVAS thread running

I click I agree to the client and then i see on the net7proxy.exe (clientside) window:

User 'jackrussell' logging in from IP: 127.0.0.1

Sending username/password.

Unable to connect to Sector Server: 192.168.1.113:3807 (local IP of this machine)

Unable to establish login link to server ...

MVAS thread running

I DO have everything updated fully in windows, firewall is disabled. dot net is 3.5 sp1 fully updated, and the repos are the most recent as are the sql's and net7 laucher. I do get the same result launching the net7proxy from a command line "net7proxy /LC"

Anybody been able to get past this? Any input from the staff? I would be most appreciative :)

Thankyou for reading and sorry so long.

PS. the line in the EA client's auth.ini for login: LKeyUrl=https://local.net-7.org/misc/touchsession.jsp?lkey=%s

When I put this in a browser while net7.exe (server) is running, I get a page that says "success" so to my limited knowledge, I believe the login authentication process is running.

You are missing the net_con.exe with the compensator.ini Those should be on the svn. Of course I haven't looked at code since the Java server

Here is the original post from CDEL, i just saved the page as a local, and the screeshots on it wont work cause they linked back to the old forum.

I can not fine net_con.exe or compensator.ini anywhere. Can anyone confirm they are still used today?

EDIT: Thanks CDel...after reading your post I got to thinking and out of respect for the project I removed your old guide :)

For reasons I mentioned in the other thread on this topic, I'd like to withhold any more information about setting up private servers until I'm absolutely sure that it is a wise course of action. I'm very busy at the moment, and just can't muster the time to handle this issue for at least a few days. I apologize for any frustration this may cause you, but I'll be responsible if I divulge information that I should not and if the project suffers as a result. I'll do my best to get back to you by Wednesday or Thursday night.

Thank you for bearing with me.

I think another issue that you might run into with that is that once you set it up thats all you will ever be able to do as in you will never get any updates all the bugs will still be there things like that.

So is there a change in attitude about private servers?

Before it always seemed clear that the idea of someone bulding and running the server was supported and even expected as someting you'd do if you wanted to eventually join the dev team. I understood the idea that current data wouldn't be released to keep folks from using it to "cheat" but that was the only time I'd heard that the greater team was concerned about someone building the source and setting up a server.

So are private servers now forbidden? There was the restriction that a "competing server not be allowed on the internet but this seems to go beyond that restriction. If this is true then I think that this is a sad change in thinking.

If it is the case could someone please make a public staement to the full community that this is now a "closed' project.

Spacegrrrl

• Upvote 2

It is not a closed project and, by it's very core nature, will never be. I am only temporarily ceasing to actively provide support for private server installation. This is due to a very specific reason, that someone is attempting to start another high-capacity public server, something which I strongly believe would be harmful to the community. Really, Net7's stance on private servers remains the same that it always has been: private servers are explicitly unsupported and discouraged except for those who intend on using a private installation to benefit the project in some way or for strictly personal or very small-group use. I have personally provided such support in the past, but I consider it to be own my own behalf and not as part of my work for the emulator.

Cdel, I am working on improving the interface for the sector editor/ updating it to 3d display. Is there any way I can get a login/pw for the test server for debugging/testing purposes? (This would be an easier approach than setting up a private server for testing, although it may be necisery in the future.)

- Nick

It is not a closed project and, by it's very core nature, will never be. I am only temporarily ceasing to actively provide support for private server installation. This is due to a very specific reason, that someone is attempting to start another high-capacity public server, something which I strongly believe would be harmful to the community. Really, Net7's stance on private servers remains the same that it always has been: private servers are explicitly unsupported and discouraged except for those who intend on using a private installation to benefit the project in some way or for strictly personal or very small-group use. I have personally provided such support in the past, but I consider it to be own my own behalf and not as part of my work for the emulator.

Whether you support it or not, it's still going to happen, they already have a test server running.

Working with those guys instead of against them would get the "community" to a working game more quickly. The more teams working on this together, the better. If someone is looking to own it for glory, then they are missing the idea behind emulation.

I don't care, nor does the community care, who writes the code, the goal is just to reproduce enb and have it work. Hoarding it doesn't help and just creates redundancy if people are all working on the same problems?

• Upvote 2

Whether you support it or not, it's still going to happen, they already have a test server running.

Working with those guys instead of against them would get the "community" to a working game more quickly. The more teams working on this together, the better. If someone is looking to own it for glory, then they are missing the idea behind emulation.

I don't care, nor does the community care, who writes the code, the goal is just to reproduce enb and have it work. Hoarding it doesn't help and just creates redundancy if people are all working on the same problems?

What he said, at some point last year something seemed to change a bit in the attitudes of the folks that seem to make the decisions for this project. It lost a 'everyone pitch in, this will be awesome, group hug" feeling and becasme a "I am so close to taking my toys and going home" attitude. First the databases were witheld and now you need a secret handshake to put up a private server. In the end I expect whichever group has the most open and inclusive attiudes towards the community will dominate. I know my support will go to whichever group most embraces a sense of open community.

I also hope any splinter group considers trying to get the game back to just like E&B at sunset (with the extra character types as a stretch goal). I really feel changes in the game now are making this a similar but still different game. These differences make me less interested in this project every change from the original that gets made.

Spacegrrrl

• 5 weeks later...

What he said, at some point last year something seemed to change a bit in the attitudes of the folks that seem to make the decisions for this project. It lost a 'everyone pitch in, this will be awesome, group hug" feeling and becasme a "I am so close to taking my toys and going home" attitude. First the databases were witheld and now you need a secret handshake to put up a private server. In the end I expect whichever group has the most open and inclusive attiudes towards the community will dominate. I know my support will go to whichever group most embraces a sense of open community.

I also hope any splinter group considers trying to get the game back to just like E&B at sunset (with the extra character types as a stretch goal). I really feel changes in the game now are making this a similar but still different game. These differences make me less interested in this project every change from the original that gets made.

Spacegrrrl

Pinging again about some sort of functional database release. Old and incomplete is fine if it works with the current code base. Finally built a new new dev box and want to start playing with getting the server running again. Clearly there already are splinter groups running servers so the cat/bag relationship seems already established.

Spacegrrrl

Spacegrrrl

I agree with Spacegrrrl.I have also a feeling that this is more a closed source project even you say it is open source. I can understand that you want people to play on the Net7 server because that way you can test everything. And the more respond you get with bugs the better the game is.

But in the end I have more a feeling that people are forced to play on 1 server and that is easy to do. A lot of old Eab players want to play eab again.

I loved this game and spend almost 2 year`s playing this game. The moment I came home I play it...till late in the evening. Since that time I really hate EA for what they did to this game because I spended a lot of time in to this game and in 1 day everything was gone.

Most emulators I know provide you with a full tutorial how to setup a game server with a seperated database. I know emulators where people create a complete package all you have to do is start the server and login.

So in the end I am curious which way this project is going.

Pinging again about some sort of functional database release. Old and incomplete is fine if it works with the current code base. Finally built a new new dev box and want to start playing with getting the server running again. Clearly there already are splinter groups running servers so the cat/bag relationship seems already established.

Spacegrrrl

Yes, the "splinter" group has their server set up so this is inconsequential at this point.

I agree with Spacegrrrl.I have also a feeling that this is more a closed source project even you say it is open source.

Most emulators I know provide you with a full tutorial how to setup a game server with a seperated database. I know emulators where people create a complete package all you have to do is start the server and login.

So in the end I am curious which way this project is going.

There was a guide, but it was lost when our old web server crashed and it would've been largely obsolete at this point and I haven't had a single chunk of free time large enough to put another together. As soon as I am able, I will post another.

As always, I'm trying not to get worked up about this, but I can't help but feel that some are being a little inconsiderate about this. We, the staff, are all unpaid volunteers, and in fact, I'm the only person who handles player technical issues on a regular basis. I'm in college and during the school year I tend to be short on time. The time I have I devote to getting players' client installations working and getting them connected to the play server. The group of people who want to set up private servers are honestly a minority among the community, and thusly I can't dedicate as much time to this issue.

My negative feelings toward this are really amplified when someone claims that we are closed source, or trending toward a closed-source model. This is absolutely untrue; our source code is freely available not only for our server, but for our tools and almost any code we use on the project. The purpose of this project is not to distribute the server, it is to resurrect Earth and Beyond, and to say that we are not fully open-source because we don't release our latest content and we don't distribute compiled binaries or packages is absurd.

As I don't usually speak this way to any member or members of the community, I want to say that I am sorry if I have offended anyone through saying this, and I do not want it to be interpreted as aggressive in any way; these are just my feelings on the topic which I felt the need to express. Also, I want to affirm that any time this project withholds any information - database, code, or otherwise - we do so for the good of the community. For example, we withhold the content to prevent cheating and to prevent others from exploiting our hard work for their own gain or using it in a way we did not originally intend.

Finally, the part of my post that is of consequence: I will begin supporting private servers again, and I will post a guide when I get the opportunity along with a guaranteed functional database dump, if one is not already public.

Thank you,

C Del

• Upvote 1

Finally, the part of my post that is of consequence: I will begin supporting private servers again, and I will post a guide when I get the opportunity along with a guaranteed functional database dump, if one is not already public.

Thank you,

C Del

Spacegrrrl hugs C Del!

Just wanted to keep it on the radar. I know this is something that has caused some heated emotions but I think getting some variation of the DB available so someone really could build the source and learn the inner workings of the project is important.

So thanks in advance for taking this on,

Spacegrrrl

I have been tying to work on updating the sector editor to 3d graphics, and my progress has ground to a halt due to the fact that I can't deploy and test my code on a running server.

What language/engine are you trying to use? We're looking at doing this in XNA C# with some third-party engine to be determined. If you have experience in this we'd love your input, and I'd be happy to help you set up a server to test with.

What language/engine are you trying to use? We're looking at doing this in XNA C# with some third-party engine to be determined. If you have experience in this we'd love your input, and I'd be happy to help you set up a server to test with.

That's exactly what I have been using. I have been talking to Kyp about it for a a few weeks now. ATM I have been looking over the source to understand how all the database info is parsed. I've been working to remove the SanDock program. I've also been making some simple 3d models to use for rendering in the 3d engine, and brainstorming the new GUI. Since I don't have access to a server to test with I haven't been able to run the sector editor to see how it's GUI is set up ect.

• 1 month later...

Spacegrrrl hugs C Del!

Just wanted to keep it on the radar. I know this is something that has caused some heated emotions but I think getting some variation of the DB available so someone really could build the source and learn the inner workings of the project is important.

So thanks in advance for taking this on,

Spacegrrrl

Just wondering if there was an updated guide and db posted? So pinging for a status update.

Spacegrrrl

Edited by spacegrrrl
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Thanks for reminding me. I'm extremely busy at the moment, but I'll post a guide up as soon as I get a bit of free time. (should be in a week or two) As far as the DB dumb is concerned, I'll have to ask around to see what we can release at the moment.

Thanks for reminding me. I'm extremely busy at the moment, but I'll post a guide up as soon as I get a bit of free time. (should be in a week or two) As far as the DB dumb is concerned, I'll have to ask around to see what we can release at the moment.

Thanks,

Just wanted to keep it on the radar for when you get a free moment.

Spacegrrrl

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I am down for open source as much as the next person but i think the Dev/Gms best served time should be in finishing this installment, once done feel free to give/donate the code away.

Keep up the good work guys. take your time and don't over do it :->