Sugguestion to End all these rumors

By now, anyone that visits the forums knows the what rumors are circulating. Whether or not they are true is anyone's guess. That said, reguardless if they are true or not they have done one thing: They placed the seeds of doubt in players minds. Sometimes that is all it takes to set off the chain reaction. I've been talking with some players, and thinking it over to myself on what could be done to curb this and prevent such accusation from starting again next week, next month or next year. The best solution I have came up with is this-

The players, not all mind you but I'd wager close to half, are not sure who they can trust now. And this is not a shot at any Devs/GMs, but saying "you can trust me!" carries as much weight here as when a Politician says it. So what are they supposed to do if another player is harassing them? Or they find out someone is exploiting or cheating? So I sugguest we set-up a type of player-controlled Democracy.

Players can nominate other Players to sit on this 'team'.

** Players cannot nominate themselves, or their guildmembers. The Devs/GMs will not have any say-so in who is chosen, it will be completely up to the players. This will prevent any accusations of 'Well so-and-so only got on there because they are friends with that Dev'.

The players with the most nominations can be put in a poll and votes cast, the top 3 or 5 are on the team. With perhaps someone ready to step-in incase someone has to leave for RL, etc.

** The team would need access to the server logs, assuming they are atleast temporarily recorded, to check chat logs and item trades and such; and to use them in conjuction with player submitted proof to come to their decisions. Verify the complaints and such. HOWEVER the team would NOT have the ability to create items, credits, or grant levels to anyone on the play server. This ensures they cannot become questionable and abuse their position.

The Devs/GMs can then "give up" the hassles of dealing with in-game player issues and focus on coding, bugs, broken missions/items, blackholed characters. You get the idea.

This team would still be under supervision of the Board of Directors, but the Board would not have any input on decisions made, and could not "overrule" the team's decisions. They (the team) will be able to impose marks against in-game accounts (IE 3 marks you're out or such), temporary bans, and if the situation requires it-PERMENANT bans.

Some type of step needs to be taken here. There have been entirely too many rumors flying around for nothing to be done about it. Players need to fill they have a solid, fair and reliable outlet to bring their problems to. With this set-up even if the entire Devolpment staff starts abusing powers, players will still be able to have "justice" done when a situation calls for it. And who knows, maybe this is the worst idea anyone has ever had (lol), but it sounds good in my head so I decided to throw it out there and see what others think.

So post your thoughts, but please - try to keep it constructive and post sugguestions to areas you think need altered with this idea.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Devs/GMs can then "give up" the hassles of dealing with in-game player issues and focus on coding, bugs, broken missions/items, blackholed characters. You get the idea.

Totally self-motivated thought here ... but:

My PP would and his brother toons would be eternally grateful for fixing the Altair blackhole bug which apparently only (I) suffer from. :blink:

Especially the PP, since Altair and Nostrand-Vor are supposed to be like his backyard sectors.

number one poster on forum and also has no idea what the OP is talking about :)

and not sure I really care... so long as the server is up i'm happy :)

I totally agree with Avani.

Somewhere around here there is a "Code of Conduct" or something similar, with a grievance procedure in it. If you have problems with a GM or Dev then use it. If you can't trust the GM's/dev's you might as well stop playing right now.

edit:- Have just read Marco's blog, "Oh Boy", hope things improve behind the scenes.

• Upvote 1

Some people just need something to fill their need for drama and conspiracy.

Some have valid concerns.

Others still are as dim as sheep, and believe whatever they are told by people who "know" the situations behinds the scenes, despite having no part in it, or having been a source of problems in the past all on their own. Clearly, people who are guilty of something would NEVER lie about the issue, or at the very least, see it all from a biased point of view, right? Right.

In any case, it's all rather inconsequential at this time.

Avani and Sui have it right.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

THis would be a wonderful idea, except for a few minor issues. 1) It would have to be by unanamous agreement of all currently operating players. 2) The postings would be nothing more than a popularity contest, putting the best friends of the largest number of players into the office. 3) Democracy only works when people aren't bloody morons who can't comprehend the concept of "majority rule" and whine like little babies when the majority says "no, we're doing it THIS way. you agreed to this method of rule, so you have to conform". Let's face it, Men in Black said it. The person is a calm, intellectual entitity. People as a group are stupid, panicky and easily scared.

Democracy seldom works well. It tends to degenerate into mob rule.

Representative Republics tend to have a slightly long shelf life.

Dictatorships can be fun if you're the "Dic" and not one of the "taters"... but often get derailed in the end.

:(

Benevolent dictatorships are fine, so long as the mob has the option of terminating the ruler if he stops being benevolent. :(

As for options in the current situation, a player vote wouldn't be very useful nor would GM appointing. Solution? Lottery of volunteers. *shrugs*

Benevolent dictatorships are fine, so long as the mob has the option of terminating the ruler if he stops being benevolent. :(

As for options in the current situation, a player vote wouldn't be very useful nor would GM appointing. Solution? Lottery of volunteers. *shrugs*

LOL...

We are not an entity with socio-political or economical interests to protect. This is entertainment. We are not even paying for it. Worst comes to worst, the 'mob' can just up and leave and find something else to fill their time, and we all move on, nobody loses anything except a great way to kill time... I do hope it never comes to that, but hey, its not the end of the world.

*sighs at ostriches*

If the team management happens to screw things up enough the project fails and we don't have a game! I wish people would stop clouding the issue with stupidity about mob camping and loot and focus on that for a change; that's the only thing I'm worried about!

Yeah we could all go do something else. I won't slit my wrists if the project tanks. But it would still be a disgusting shame considering the work that has gone into it, wouldn't you agree?

I have never understood all this path-of-least-resistance, laugh-everything-off crap in lieu of making what are really minor changes for the sake of improving the odds of success. We all want a finished game here, right?

• Upvote 1

LOL...

We are not an entity with socio-political or economical interests to protect. This is entertainment. We are not even paying for it. Worst comes to worst, the 'mob' can just up and leave and find something else to fill their time, and we all move on, nobody loses anything except a great way to kill time... I do hope it never comes to that, but hey, its not the end of the world.

I agree that (most) are not paying for the game. But I disagree with you that we should all just sit back and enjoy the ride. We all have as an unwritten agreement with the folks who brought this beloved game back from the dead. We not only play the game but test and inform them of bugs, typos and exploits that have been introduced.

If we loose it due to internal bickering that would be a pity. (Yes not the end of the world) but if it may be averted by suggestions from us the peanut gallery to make their lives < read our lives easier, then I say suggest away fellow peanut galleryieans.

I was told by someone that will remain nameless, that indeed it is a conspiracy! The Jen Pie and the tree huggers are in collusion against all things progen. As a result, there are significant issues that they have managed to sink their slimy paws into. Some of them are the actual codes of game play. Some how, they have manipulated entire progen skills, weapons, and equipment. It was a Jen Pie that purposely designed the bug in combat trance! Why can't it be fixed? Cause the Pie's have prevented it!

Why do progen weapons go inactive when tab targetting? Them damned Terrans! I tell ya, when I heard it was a combined effort to just irritate and annoy progens by making their skill animations stick, I about threw up! How dare they do that to us!

As a matter of fact, the only functioning progen items that will be seen, are those that the terrans use! Why, is what I ask! Why?!?

I hereby demand that the developers keep the smelly, slimy, dirty hands of those two lower races out of my progen purity or there will be hell to pay!!!

Edit:

Beware or I'll let Growlz loose on you all!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was told by someone that will remain nameless, that indeed it is a conspiracy! The Jen Pie and the tree huggers are in collusion against all things progen. As a result, there are significant issues that they have managed to sink their slimy paws into. Some of them are the actual codes of game play. Some how, they have manipulated entire progen skills, weapons, and equipment. It was a Jen Pie that purposely designed the bug in combat trance! Why can't it be fixed? Cause the Pie's have prevented it!

Why do progen weapons go inactive when tab targetting? Them damned Terrans! I tell ya, when I heard it was a combined effort to just irritate and annoy progens by making their skill animations stick, I about threw up! How dare they do that to us!

As a matter of fact, the only functioning progen items that will be seen, are those that the terrans use! Why, is what I ask! Why?!?

I hereby demand that the developers keep the smelly, slimy, dirty hands of those two lower races out of my progen purity or there will be hell to pay!!!

Edit:

Beware or I'll let Growlz loose on you all!

That would go a long way toward explaining why Endriago sector was really laggy last night... I could have sworn I saw that Jenpie Daycare Shuttle out there yucking it up with those evil Rogue Progen! (and I was one of three people in it for much of the night) :)