Missile Spam?

My understanding is that missile spam (more than one missile/projectile firing at a time) was removed because the old server couldn't handle it. Are we ever going to get it back? Have the devs made any decisions on what would be required for us to get it back?

From a practical standpoint it's the least important thing in the game, but I thought it was a huge fun enhancer, and I'm not alone there, so I thought I'd see if anyone knows what's up with it.

My understanding is that missile spam (more than one missile/projectile firing at a time) was removed because the old server couldn't handle it. Are we ever going to get it back? Have the devs made any decisions on what would be required for us to get it back?

From a practical standpoint it's the least important thing in the game, but I thought it was a huge fun enhancer, and I'm not alone there, so I thought I'd see if anyone knows what's up with it.

Do you mean it appearing to only show the graphic once now as opposed to a small cloud?

Yep! That's EXACTLY what I mean. Nothing like having three L8 dragonfires equipped and watching a spray of missiles go out! It's big, big fun. Adds to the visceral sense of weapon power.

I think it was related to bandwidth and to help reduce lag, but I will ask about it. :)

oguns were another weapon where you would fire as you moved in on the mob and like 16 missiles would hit it all atonce... cool effect... but not totally necessary... would rather not have lag if its a choice

Absolutely. I remember when they changed it - but we're on a new server. Things are different.

Or they may not be different at all. I want to find out if it's practical to reinstate it, or if it will ever be practical, or what it might take for it to become practical!

Not necessarily. After removing missile spam they went back in and added a system to reduce visible damage ticks, presumably to reduce processor lag.

I mean, it could still be a lag issue, in which case they're not gonna reinstate it. Or it might not be because of the new server. Or it might not be because of code implimented since then. Or... any of a thousand things. That's why I'm asking! I want to know what to expect, with a mild sideline of making sure it's not swept under the rug and forgotten.

• 4 weeks later...

Did Kyp ever find an answer for this? I'd really like to know. Graphically, missile spam made the game much more exciting, and even if it can't be restored soon, it'd be nice to know what kind of circumstances it'd take for it to be turned back on.

Sorry it's been a low priority kind of thing, I know its aesthetically appealing, I am a fan of it myself, but it was removed as a means of reducing latency especially where larger groups of players were concerned.

We may try turning it back on soon to see how it fares but for now, we aren't. :)

Alrighty! That's the answer I wanted. I do hope you do, but I know it can't be a high priority. I just remember so fondly firing huge clouds of missiles. It might be darn near impossible with projectile launchers, though.

It was even cooler with PL's, though (and I say this as someone whose primary has always been a TT).

I agree - if it can be done without a negative impact to the game, great, but I understand if it can't.

Sorry it's been a low priority kind of thing, I know its aesthetically appealing, I am a fan of it myself, but it was removed as a means of reducing latency especially where larger groups of players were concerned.

We may try turning it back on soon to see how it fares but for now, we aren't. :)

Hold up! It may seem somewhat humorous to ask this, but I too feel concerned about the "projectile" spam and "lazer" spams... What can we do to reduce those lagging monsters as well? If we reduce all 3 effects of the weapon types. Then there surely wouldn't be any lag left hanging in the balance you know. :angry:

Hold up! It may seem somewhat humorous to ask this, but I too feel concerned about the "projectile" spam and "lazer" spams... What can we do to reduce those lagging monsters as well? If we reduce all 3 effects of the weapon types. Then there surely wouldn't be any lag left hanging in the balance you know. :D

Lol, looking to nerf the Jenquai's pretty little beams too eh? I'm sure they'll notice ;)

In any case, we haven't tried to switch it all back on in a while. Things might turn around eventually and we could end up able to support it all. Time will tell. :D