Guild Chat

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need a chat box just for the high ranking officers or not?

• Give the man a cookie, having a chat option just for the command would be a great idea
    • Lay off the jack, it's a stupid idea and i want to manually tell each of my guild officers one at a time.
    • Where's the crappucino machine?

I'm just talking like the Admiral and the top two or three ranks under that... it seems to me that it would just be more convenient to have the ability to talk just your main officers with out including the rest of the guild or having to /t each of them individually.

There already is such a thing.

9 Private channels you can use and protect with a password.

They are not working YET, but they are there. Choose : Chat / Private Channel / New

They were working in 'live'.

yeah, but do YOU really want to go in every time you want to have a command discussion and have all your officers online join up individually? I know that's too much work for me, I'm lazy :) it would just be way more convenient

Well, if it was working (and I would hope that it would prior to undertaking any NEW chat developments), you could use Private channel as was stated. If that's a real pain then your guild has way more command meetings requiring private non-member chat than any guild I've ever been part of. There's always the various out-of-game chat options that are avaiable.

Most guilds have quiet enough chat already without officers having their own secret little talk place

Also it can make for a difficult guild dynamic if you're a member and you are excluded from listening to what your officers talk to with each other. It can be useful for a member to "listen in" on what officers say.

If you so want an officers chat have your officers use a private channel with password on it.

As a final note, having this chat basically adds to splitting up a guild instead of bringing it together.

well it was a long time ago... but wasnt there a channel for officer chat in live... or am i remembering this wrong...? maybe it was just a priv ch... officers need a place to talk...especially during raids and such to coordinate activites... sometimes I would turn off all channels except for o chat just to keep the convo easier... and during raids all i monitored was officer, raid group all other channels off...

Most guilds have quiet enough chat already without officers having their own secret little talk place

Also it can make for a difficult guild dynamic if you're a member and you are excluded from listening to what your officers talk to with each other. It can be useful for a member to "listen in" on what officers say.

If you so want an officers chat have your officers use a private channel with password on it.

As a final note, having this chat basically adds to splitting up a guild instead of bringing it together.

It CAN be useful... Occaionally. But what if you and your officers are discussing how do deal with someone that's disruptive to guild dynamics, and what to tell the rest of the guild as to why he'd being ejected, if that's the outcome? Or what if you guys simply want to discuss where to go raiding together? Yeah, fine, sometimes it's great to let your members listen in, but a guild is run by the officers, who are in turn run by the guild leader. I know for a fact that I don't always want to let my minions know what i'm thinking until i'm ready. Why make it easy for them to find out?

I know for a fact that I don't always want to let my minions know what i'm thinking until i'm ready. Why make it easy for them to find out?

OK, Dr. Evil. As said before, when private chat is fixed it sounds like it addresses your needs - for you and a select few of your guild to talk smack about the rest of your guild. What guild are you an officer of, again?

I am assuming your being scarastic... "Dr Evil" :) ... but there is definitely an honest and legite purpose to have O chat... every organization that has officers needs to meet and discuss things prior to presenting it to the members... and I am talkin RL and not just games... but imo the same concept applies here... and O chat is really just a conveinence of not having to make a private channel and also security...

private channels get hacked (so to speak... passwords get out its a pain to monitor who is in the channel etc)... unless you have someone online 24-7 you lose the channel... and some anti-social jerk then creates a channel with your guild name just to greif... I have seen it all... so while there are work arounds... its just so much more conveinent to have O chat...

and yes... are there jerks in guild that will talk smack in O chat... well is this planet earth?... then of course there are... but imo they are gonna talk smack no matter where they gotta go to do it...

I realize makin an ochat chan might not be possible or a pain to do... but imo it is definitely better than using priv channels for the same purpose...

OK, Dr. Evil. As said before, when private chat is fixed it sounds like it addresses your needs - for you and a select few of your guild to talk smack about the rest of your guild. What guild are you an officer of, again?

See, this right here is the reason I don't use my ingame name. People like starting drama. It was a suggestion, followed by a joke. Please leave the flames in the fireplace where they belong, or I shall be more than happy to indulge you and return fire. Happy hunting, and please lighten up. :)

In my mind's eye, there's hardly enough raid-level content in place yet to warrant the "super secret squirrel" type mindset that some elite raid guilds have had (such as keeping a lid on Blackbeard's pop time, though things like that are often quite an open secret).

Of course, having been parked for several minutes and watching a huge heap o' VGE and RIP zoom by enroute to Paramis to kiss Blackbeard's Ghost hello last night... :(

As an aside: Teamspeak. It's full of win, for the ease of use and having different rooms for the officers and the non-officers and such.

I don't know how many guild officers you have...

but there's this thing called a group. you can group up with 5 other players and you all can chat in the group channel :(

we could... but at most of the guild meetings I was at... we did not usually gather up around a round table with steins of beer and hash things out... usually... I would be group mining... someone else would be farming low level faction mobs in a group (that could shoot them all day and never kill them), one person may be making 100 stacks of ammo and be out of range to add to a grp bonus... etc...

and then you still have to make the group... there are plenty of valid workarounds that people can list all day long... but for anyone who is usually and officer in whatever guild of whatever game they play... ochat is still the best and easiest answer from a player perspective... my.04

one person may be making 100 stacks of ammo and be out of range to add to a grp bonus...

what does group bonus have to do with anything? I was suggesting using group so you could get 6 guild officers together in a group where only those 6 people are privvy to the guild chat... exp bonus has nothing to do with it, the group is solely for the officer meeting... you can be grouped with someone across the game world and still talk to them, so I have no idea why group bonus range even matters, it's not pertinent to this subject, rather it is a total digression.

I'm suggesting that if your officers have something important to talk about, you guys can drop what you're doing and have your discussion. If it's really that important, you can stop what you're doing for the sake of whatever is so important in your guild. I'm sure whoever you were grouped with will be fine with "hey guys, I have to go afk for 5-10 minutes" or "hey guys, I have to go take care of some guild business real quick" and a polite asking if they would be willing to save your spot.

Basically, I think if this feature is even considered it should be back-burnered in favor of things that are far more important. This issue has a few ways to get around it, either via messenger programs outside the game, or figuring out something that works inside the game. I also think there are only a few guilds out there currently who really could use this, most are small enough I think the group solution works fine. Personally, I discuss things pretty openly in my guild chat..

what does group bonus have to do with anything? I was suggesting using group so you could get 6 guild officers together in a group where only those 6 people are privvy to the guild chat... exp bonus has nothing to do with it, the group is solely for the officer meeting... you can be grouped with someone across the game world and still talk to them, so I have no idea why group bonus range even matters, it's not pertinent to this subject, rather it is a total digression.

I'm suggesting that if your officers have something important to talk about, you guys can drop what you're doing and have your discussion. If it's really that important, you can stop what you're doing for the sake of whatever is so important in your guild. I'm sure whoever you were grouped with will be fine with "hey guys, I have to go afk for 5-10 minutes" or "hey guys, I have to go take care of some guild business real quick" and a polite asking if they would be willing to save your spot.

Basically, I think if this feature is even considered it should be back-burnered in favor of things that are far more important. This issue has a few ways to get around it, either via messenger programs outside the game, or figuring out something that works inside the game. I also think there are only a few guilds out there currently who really could use this, most are small enough I think the group solution works fine. Personally, I discuss things pretty openly in my guild chat..

i think you know what i meant... but I will restate... with ochat I dont have to drop what I am doing... i dont have to have an ammo building tt in my grp when I can have another miner... I can multi-task... we are in a world where we cant get people off the phone while driving or to stop texting in a classroom and while those are not optimal conditions for multi-tasking, imo it shows how dedicated people are to the concept of multi-tasking...

I totally agree that this is a back burner issue... and there are much more important things... but I dont think is should be disregarded and one day imo it would be nice to have...

If you all remember, this sort of thing was accomplished by channels created and password protected that you could invite people to. At least that's what I recall.