Player Wipe, Rollback, or Just some stress test turbulence?

66 members have voted

1. 1. Given the strange database and login server issues we've had on top of the latest content push...

• ... a player wipe is coming (cue horror movie "don't open that door, silly blond female victim!!" music) ?
    • ... a significant rollback (more than 10 days, rolling back levels mucho mucho) is on tap?
    • a minor rollback (a few days, tops) is being talked about in the secret smoky room discussions?
    • Cool your jets, man! Remember, this is a STRESS TEST and this sort of thing is normal. The Devs are working on it.
    • The various issues (login server, broken NPC missions, frequent game server downtimes) are unrelated, and any andallthis speculation is just pure rubbish.

*sprays flame-retardant foam all over this thread*

My opinion - I think there is a very good chance we will be having a player wipe sooner than anyone might have planned, with the convergence of so many issues lately.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I don't think a player wipe will solve anything. They need to concentrate more on QA than content. Get the basic stuff working so we can enjoy a smooth experience day in and day out instead of trying to mess with minor stuff.

There probably will be one, eventually, but I wouldn't worry about it. Just look at it as an opportunity to experiment with different toons, and different configurations. The serious play can wait until emulator Live. There are probably more bugs to come, or be gotten rid of. The TE (Scout) still needs Afterburn & Null factor, there are skills that still don't work properly (like Cloak and Teleport enemy), and there are skills on the existing classes, that players find less than useful. Maybe some of them will be improved a little.

once again another poorly worded poll... i mean who can pass up the chance to say cool your jets man... it was like a gimme... any time a poll choice is cool your jets its a no brainer... :rolleyes:

I did not vote but had to add my 2 cents worth. I for one am tired of someone bringing up a player wipe every time the EMU hits a snag. It is counter-productive. The current problems won't be fixed by a wipe. Pushing people backwards is discouraging and will drive some players away. It should be obvious that we need more players to test everything on both the Dev server and play server not less.

The login issues started near the end of ST3 and have been getting progressively worse since then. Possible causes:

. Spamming of SSL ports (this is why we had to create Net7SSL in the first place to stop the server crashing) by old 'is the server running?' scripts. Fortunately most of these have been removed and now use a UDP query which gives better results.

. Old builds of the launcher still in use which could singlehandedly bring the server to its knees if the button was repeated pressed (again, the new Net7SSL is designed to restart if it dies due to this).

. Bots spotting an SSL system and trying to automatically hack in because it's there (?).

. Custom entry systems which try to bypass server startup wait - we know they are out there - it's obvious from the Net7SSL traces.

The weird mission errors were due to me again (sorry!) I had commented out a line while I was debugging mission code to make tracing something easier and forgotten to uncomment out the line, which made all NPCs unwilling to give out missions for a week or so.

I'm still fixing issues that are coming in; there are some updates coming which should improve things a bit.

• Upvote 4

The login issues started near the end of ST3 and have been getting progressively worse since then. Possible causes:

. Spamming of SSL ports (this is why we had to create Net7SSL in the first place to stop the server crashing) by old 'is the server running?' scripts. Fortunately most of these have been removed and now use a UDP query which gives better results.

. Old builds of the launcher still in use which could singlehandedly bring the server to its knees if the button was repeated pressed (again, the new Net7SSL is designed to restart if it dies due to this).

. Bots spotting an SSL system and trying to automatically hack in because it's there (?).

. Custom entry systems which try to bypass server startup wait - we know they are out there - it's obvious from the Net7SSL traces.

The weird mission errors were due to me again (sorry!) I had commented out a line while I was debugging mission code to make tracing something easier and forgotten to uncomment out the line, which made all NPCs unwilling to give out missions for a week or so.

I'm still fixing issues that are coming in; there are some updates coming which should improve things a bit.

Thank you for posting this TB - I think real info from the Team is invaluable.

once again another poorly worded poll... i mean who can pass up the chance to say cool your jets man... it was like a gimme... any time a poll choice is cool your jets its a no brainer... :rolleyes:

I may very well be the king of poorly worded polls.... but "cool your jets" would be something I'd say to someone worked up over the recent server unpleasantnesses, though I've suspected that there might have been some server corruption or some other issues that might call for at least a rollback, if not a p-wipe. :lol:

As for the poll itself, just pure speculation and reaching to see what people are thinking... especially a few hours ago when the server population dropped to around 60 for lack of people able to actually get past Megan...

And a special thanks also to TB too, who filled us in with the truth about what's behind some of these rather annoying issues,especially when the lines of communication aren't always very clear.

Exactly what I have been asking for. Thank you.. now IF only we could move this post to the announcements. :)

Exactly what I have been asking for. Thank you.. now IF only we could move this post to the announcements. :)

Yes, please.. more posts like this need to be posted more visibly.. I know Tienbau and other devs reply to individual thread in such words that if they posted that to the announcements, we'd kill half the noise being made :)

and if I can only get a link back from the forums to the net7 portal

TB, thank you VERY much for this answer we've all been waiting for !

Kudos to you sir !

OMG PLEASE "No ROLLBACKS OR WIPES"

I have been here from the start yes the start. I was her the day this was started with Razor and helped build the dev teams crack packet keys and much more. We just had a wipe not that long ago and i'm still tring to build up my char again. He is only 105. I love this game and i love testing but i also love to play. Between life and testing i do not have the time to keep grinding up char's and in fact it gets fustrating. I know this is all part of getting to were they need to be, but i for one would like to have a chance to get my char to max and get the items that count "lvl 9". if this does result in a wipe i think there are alot of people out there that might call it quits till we get to a more soild state and are not having wpes every month. It was not so back on ST3 because of the xp boost but now it is a pain.

Hehe, oops. ;)

//Wex

Pardon me for missing something here, but what are these "database errors" OP is talking about ? The login problem I am aware of (although I have been spared most of the time), but not being able to log in is no reason for a wipe, so I wonder what is ?

I know of the problem with >255 recipes bugging your build lists, but that can't be common enough to warrant a wipe, can it ?

Just curious what I missed here since there is talk about wipe/rollback and I have no clue why ;)

/Tottepp

personally... I dont ever see the need for a rollback or unscheduled pwipe... if a player had bad account issue... I would most likely lock that account down to research it and tell them to open a new acct and continue testing or whatever... imo while people say the words all the time, they forget this is a test... now if the test is to test rollback or pwipe protocol then go for it...

but other than that if you lost a high level toon or gear or whatever... well your a tester... this is to be expected... start a new toon... and I am not being harsh... keep in mind we have a number of wipes coming your gonna lose it anyway... but like i said... what good does it do the dev team to do a rollback when you had a bug... assign that account to a dev, take it away (temporarily at least) from the tester (note I didnt say player) and research the hell outta that biotch

Wipe Now and Wipe Often. The early part of the game is the most fun anyway. Maybe auto-wipe any player that gets above 100 too.

Lol

I wouldn't have said it myself, but I do kinda agree with this.

Pardon me for missing something here, but what are these "database errors" OP is talking about ? The login problem I am aware of (although I have been spared most of the time), but not being able to log in is no reason for a wipe, so I wonder what is ?

I know of the problem with >255 recipes bugging your build lists, but that can't be common enough to warrant a wipe, can it ?

Just curious what I missed here since there is talk about wipe/rollback and I have no clue why :)

/Tottepp

there was a thread about this but I can't find it.

The latest patch to Net7Proxy and the server *should* fix this issue - it was working locally with huge build lists so hopefully it's working on the server as I pushed the patch through.

Could anyone suffering from this issue ensure they patch to Net7Proxy v1.74 and try to access build lists again?

there was a thread about this but I can't find it.

The latest patch to Net7Proxy and the server *should* fix this issue - it was working locally with huge build lists so hopefully it's working on the server as I pushed the patch through.

Could anyone suffering from this issue ensure they patch to Net7Proxy v1.74 and try to access build lists again?

Been trying to get in since i got 1.74 and I think its the worst one we have had so far. Its not doing something that it used to do. The old version, when you put the user name and password in, if it wasnt going to work it would almost lock up and take easily 45 seconds before it would open up and let you hit the enter key again. This version comes back almost instantly so you can hit the enter key once every 5 seconds. Its almost like its not really even checking your info. I noticed this post was at 10:30 and now its 11:30 and I havent had any luck at all getting in and talking to my brother who did get in cause he was one of the first to lofin he said watching the computer side of chat he hasnt seen 1 login in an hour so whatever 1.74 did I would trash it and go back to 1.73.

nothing to do with net7proxy, it's the login authentication system gone down. I'm still trying to get it to restart correctly, but with the apparent 'attacks' on it it's going into a lock up state, almost there though. I restarted it manually so you should be able to login.

EDIT: the cert system should now manage to restart itself within about 30 seconds if it goes down with this particular style of attack. I've also tried to anticipate other styles of attack as well and hopefully it should do the same thing with those.