Auto Registration Enforced....?

Guest starsz

Well, for what its worth, Auto Register was NOT in live, i remember many times farming in Ant, filling my bank with loot till I was full, then either killing myself to get back to OMP or finding a JD. Self Distruct also didnt kill you, it burnt all your sheilds and reactor doing AOE damage then imobalising you for X seconds. Hull would stay at its current level.

Interesting because I also remember instances where if it had auto reg'd me there is no way I could have had a grouped JD send me from Anteres back to Paren Station as I know I always docked in Anteres to vault loot. However, I think it's a bit of a moot point considering as said in game the auto reg was not put in to restore live status but rather to stop the suicide trade runs.

Suicde trade runs were done in live also so Im not sure why they are stopping it. If you want to take the damage I dont see anything wrong with it. Also just get a JE at both places to pop you back and forth, get 1/2 but its still quicker than driving.

I personally don't see the point in a couple of the current changes, one is the auto-reg, the other is closing the paramis gate. First off auto-reg, I do not see a problem with it in general, but if this is just to stop progens using from self destruct, I think it's a waste of the DEVS time programming this in just to take it out later in the progress of the game. I understand why they use self destruct right now because it takes forever to lvl trade as the game is now. Once the terminal jobs are up and running this probably wont be an issue anyway. So, if your planning on leaving it this way for live then I don't see a problem.

Secondly, paramis gate being closed, I assuming this is to test factions, if it is why not just close bbw itself but leave or atleast reset everyones factions back to start level just so they can decide if they want to go to these systems. I know a few people that are still having faction bar issues on there chars, so in my opinion wouldn't it be best to just leave the systems open, for testing purposes, because there are still alot of issues going on with some of the raids anyway (i.e the RD Base). Also, the drones in BBW should be giving faction positive faction not negative RD faction. I may be way of on this and just my opinions, I know your going to do what you will, but just wanted to give my two cents on the subject.

I agree with Rossdie on both issues, I hate that auto reg and the Paramis gate should be open.

Hmmm, as far as i can remember, the auto-reg was in live.

But:

It was a reg if you did not register at any station manually, so you could get a tow if needed.

If you did reg manually at a station it overrided the auto-reg and as long you were in game the manual reg was active.

Once you logged out the last auto-reg was re-activated. Means the last station you docked was saved for auto-reg even you logged out. Afer login you were auto-reg at that station you last visited til you reg manually again.

greets

Hexergirl

Job terminals is the missing variable that made all the other stuff fit together.

exactly! They should not have worried about fixing the SD exploit or the dmg to trade goods with JE wormhole until they had job terminals up and running. Not only do they take a quick way of lvl'n trade for a PW that already lvl's trade slow but they nerfed the warp speed boost that affects an already slow class. I never used the SD exploit ( probably cause I didn't know about it until day before they fixed it by ruining it with autoreg :P ) have always done my trade runs the long hard way .. but now they are even slower.

all the characters are going to be getting wiped again eventually why weren't they more concerned with getting the job terminals up instead of messing with AutoReg / SD / Trade good dmg / Warp Speed boost. Still all this talk about it isn't going to change anything.

Oh well I'm logging back in to play... see you all in game :)

Not only do they take a quick way of lvl'n trade for a PW that already lvl's trade slow but they nerfed the warp speed boost that affects an already slow class.

Hi

The warp speed boost was not nerfed! I made a mistake when adding the multipliers for 200% items. While double checking some items I found it and corrected it. Perhaps, before accusing me of nerfing an item you should check and see if in actual fact it was correct. One of the places you can check up on me and the items and their buffs is here http://www.earthandbeyond.ca/itemsmarket/index.html

If I have made a mistake, I will be more than happy to correct it if shown to be wrong. Anyone can PM me, make a forum post or talk to me when I on TS.

Riia

do we really need auto-reg... is not having it really that much of a game killer... why do people care so much about what others do in this emu... especially since we only have a few 100 players tops (probably less figuring dual boxers)... play the game... and if someone wants to kill themselves to get faster credits or xp... then why do I care... you can itemize all the things that it could possibly change... but how much of that really applies to you...

it actually helps me that people go to the extreme boring extent to level up via death... cuz they learn how to build things faster so that I can buy them... keep in mind... that no matter how many changes you make... there WILL ALWAYS be a fastest way/shortcut to doing things and SOMEONE WILL ALWAYS scream to have that way nerfed...

"if you try and police everybody, you will wind up policing nobody, because there will be no one left" -confucious

Hi

Registering when docking was put in at my request. That is how I remember it was in live and that is what our documentation says. I mentioned this over two years ago when the docking was first coded. However we did not get around to correcting it till recently.

For all of you that think this was put in to "nerf" something, you are wrong. I did not know how this error was being used till after the change was made, via this tread.

I suppose if we had fixed the SD skill first, we would have had the same accusations.

Riia

Hi

Registering when docking was put in at my request. That is how I remember it was in live and that is what our documentation says. I mentioned this over two years ago when the docking was first coded. However we did not get around to correcting it till recently.

For all of you that think this was put in to "nerf" something, you are wrong. I did not know how this error was being used till after the change was made, via this tread.

I suppose if we had fixed the SD skill first, we would have had the same accusations.

Riia

It's still a bad system, whether that is the interpretation of live or not. (Which it wasn't, see: farming in Antares, and "oh #@$!@ I'm still regged in antares)

I'm not sure of the purpose of making it this way? Live doesn't necessarily mean "ideal to make an enojoyable play environment."

The impact or purpose of the change should be discussed and analyzed instead of just flipping it to how people think it was.

Ok, lets face the fact that Self Destruct never worked like this in live...it did not kill you .It was a temporary effect it disabled your shield/reactor for 30 seconds and dealt X amount of damage.Complaining about a broken ability is just silly .I remmeber pointing this out to Floss when i first noticed it. Instead of fixing it by throwing duct tape on it"Auto Register" fix the ability and move on.

It may have been in original documentation, but it certainly wasnt in live..Probably for the obvious reasons..Many things start out one way then end the other...What is really annoying is this game is supposed to be for the playerbase bought back by the playerbase. Then you get some jumped up jock who wants to change it even if players moan.. remember this project isnt going anywhere without the players so just put it back already.

It may have been in original documentation, but it certainly wasnt in live..Probably for the obvious reasons..Many things start out one way then end the other...What is really annoying is this game is supposed to be for the playerbase bought back by the playerbase. Then you get some jumped up jock who wants to change it even if players moan.. remember this project isnt going anywhere without the players so just put it back already.

The ability in live worked as i above stated.

To all in the topic, RE: Auto Registration at a starbase:

Prima Guide

See the bottom of page 302 "What happens after I'm incapacitated?" and read-on. :)

This is in addition to CraZboy's website as posted in the second post on this topic which was a direct rip of the live website from EA with some fansite add-ons after the game went down.

Considering the Prima guide was released right at (or maybe even a little before) retail release and was based on information gleaned during beta... I'm not sure citing anything from Prima as gospel is a good idea.

Regardless though, the point remains, how does auto-register affect the *current* EnBEmu community? Does it harm the gameplay? Does it fix something specifically such that it should remain in place? Or is it something that's subject to interpretation by the current community and thus should be one of those that doesn't necessarily follow some folks' perception of *live* content blindly?

I think folks are intelligent enough to recognize that *live* isn't necessarily *right*, but that it just was. As it is, the Emu has taken some liberties with where things spawn and such, as well as introducing new items that never existed before for the betterment of the emulator at large. Why not do the same with this particular feature?

Considering the Prima guide was released right at (or maybe even a little before) retail release and was based on information gleaned during beta... I'm not sure citing anything from Prima as gospel is a good idea.

Regardless though, the point remains, how does auto-register affect the *current* EnBEmu community? Does it harm the gameplay? Does it fix something specifically such that it should remain in place? Or is it something that's subject to interpretation by the current community and thus should be one of those that doesn't necessarily follow some folks' perception of *live* content blindly?

I think folks are intelligent enough to recognize that *live* isn't necessarily *right*, but that it just was. As it is, the Emu has taken some liberties with where things spawn and such, as well as introducing new items that never existed before for the betterment of the emulator at large. Why not do the same with this particular feature?

We're open to suggestions, but it does address a gameplay problem. You shouldn't be able to cross from one side of the galaxy to the other with a load of trade goods for example, at least not instantly. For the economy to eventually get balanced we have to remove quick and easy gains of money. We want credits to be somewhat valuable and try to prevent the live situation where people have 900 billion credits to throw around. This particular one wouldn't be a big deal if every class had a means of getting around this way, but since it's just self destruct it allows them to jump back to a base.

Now, I seem to recall Self-destruct did work a little bit differently than its current implementation. Something along the lines of all of your equipment going offline, doing damage, and being dropped to like half hull. I didn't play a PW though, I just had a friend who did. Does anyone remember it working this way aside from me? I have no readily available document showing this though.

Correct me if im wrong here but i remmeber back in the beginning of this project was to get it as close to "LIVE" as possible,Not as what you want to dement it to .

That being said ya thier was a balancing issue ,but as i remmeber it correctly players enjoyed the game till the end ...being as i was in Westwoods beta of this game all the way to the sunset.

We're open to suggestions, but it does address a gameplay problem. You shouldn't be able to cross from one side of the galaxy to the other with a load of trade goods for example, at least not instantly. For the economy to eventually get balanced we have to remove quick and easy gains of money. We want credits to be somewhat valuable and try to prevent the live situation where people have 900 billion credits to throw around. This particular one wouldn't be a big deal if every class had a means of getting around this way, but since it's just self destruct it allows them to jump back to a base.

Now, I seem to recall Self-destruct did work a little bit differently than its current implementation. Something along the lines of all of your equipment going offline, doing damage, and being dropped to like half hull. I didn't play a PW though, I just had a friend who did. Does anyone remember it working this way aside from me? I have no readily available document showing this though.

An early consensus from PWs I've talked to is that in Live, Self Destruct (SD) was a variation on Powerdown, where you blew up, did a reasonably large amount of damage to whatever mobs were within range, and then you'd regain power after a certain amount of time had lapsed.

That is to say, it never actually incapacitated you nor did a "tow me back to home base" button come up. Some PWs are saying differently though, wherein is the confusion.

I never played my live PW long enough to gain the skill in question, as I focused on my JE.

Now I think a reasonable course of action would be to ascertain what we (the community of people interested in playing a PW) would like to see in SD: right now, it remains considered by most to be a useless skill not worth anything more than the one skill point for a ride home after a Cooper raid (if not for the now infamous BBW/QAR registered homeport)

As regarding the exploit itself, I think a good fix would be to station those dragon breath turrets outside Paramis Station, QAR, and set a large contingent of CL66 gate guardians in the gate quad in BBW if the goal is to keep out people who do not have the appropriate level of RD faction.

Then, you could kill auto register, do whatever you want with gate access, and any PWs who do not have pirate faction and try cheating the system get splatted by a ton of RD fire opening up on the the instant they zone in.

Add -100 RD faction per guardian mob kill also, in case any PET-bottlers/powergamers decide to perma-camp the guardians to let their non-factioned buddies use the gates. :)

Seems the easy answer is to cause use of "Distress" to cause trade goods to take 50% damage. Since PW self destruct isn't quite correct, they would naturally just get fixed by having the right effect implemented. JD return to base already has the 50% trade good code in it, as does JE wormhole, so this should cover the rest of it?

Hi

The warp speed boost was not nerfed! I made a mistake when adding the multipliers for 200% items. While double checking some items I found it and corrected it. Perhaps, before accusing me of nerfing an item you should check and see if in actual fact it was correct. One of the places you can check up on me and the items and their buffs is here http://www.earthandbeyond.ca/itemsmarket/index.html

If I have made a mistake, I will be more than happy to correct it if shown to be wrong. Anyone can PM me, make a forum post or talk to me when I on TS.

Riia

wow bit snappy geeze. Guess i should not have said nerfed but decreased? lol didn't think i was accusing anyone in particular sorry if you were offended. You do great work :)

Like a lot of complaints when bugs are fixed, this debate baffles me. I don't use Self Destruct, and people are saying it's not working right - okay, fine. You may be right there. That doesn't really affect auto-register.

I played E&B off and on from sunrise to sunset, and I don't remember a time when docking at a base didn't autoregister you. I couldn't figure out why it didn't from day one here on the emu, because it allows some pretty egregious exploits. Not only allows them, but people use those exploits, deliberately and regularly.

You may be losing something you relied on, but you weren't supposed to have it in the first place. This change A) restores the original game's standard mechanic and the one in the documentation, and :) improves game balance a little.

If Self Destruct is screwed up and this makes it even more punitively screwed up, you have my sympathy, but the solution isn't to mess up another aspect of game balance to compensate.

Like a lot of complaints when bugs are fixed, this debate baffles me. I don't use Self Destruct, and people are saying it's not working right - okay, fine. You may be right there. That doesn't really affect auto-register.

I played E&B off and on from sunrise to sunset, and I don't remember a time when docking at a base didn't autoregister you. I couldn't figure out why it didn't from day one here on the emu, because it allows some pretty egregious exploits. Not only allows them, but people use those exploits, deliberately and regularly.

You may be losing something you relied on, but you weren't supposed to have it in the first place. This change A) restores the original game's standard mechanic and the one in the documentation, and ;) improves game balance a little.

If Self Destruct is screwed up and this makes it even more punitively screwed up, you have my sympathy, but the solution isn't to mess up another aspect of game balance to compensate.

Again with the reference to outdated (who knows if it was even current with the status at sunset) documentation. You may remember auto-register and I'm sure lots of folks remember it too. But at the same time there's enough people that remember (or claim to remember) that auto-register wasn't an absolute. So who's right? In the end, it doesn't matter. Forget about live and think about how it could work in the emu to the benefit of the community at large.

Egregious exploits without auto-register? The only one I'm aware of is the trade run exploit. What other exploits are you referring to? There have been multiple suggestions (as well as code changes already) that go pretty far to remove the exploit without needing to impose auto-register. Right now auto-register basically makes a JD's return to base mostly pointless. It's not completely worthless, but it's enough so that if I were to start a JD, max summon would be the last thing on my list to upgrade.

Game balance? Because of auto-register? That's ridiculous. The *only* possible imbalance was a JD being able to return themselves to a base on the other side of civilization and those people that know said JD. It's really not much different than having a pocket JE around. Are you telling me that wormhole is a game breaking mechanic? As have been said many times before, the trade run exploit can be fixed without having to impose auto-register. Why is it so hard for folks to handle possible alternative solutions and to discuss them intelligently?