Would it really destroy the game if

I realize this might get a lot of negative press... but in regards to building terrans really have the shortest end of the stick by not being able to build reactors imo... progs cant build engines, but who cares engines are the red-headed stepchild of the game anyway... and even though jens cant build shields, shields are really easy to get cuz almost everyone and their mother has a tt alt and jens just steal our shields...

but reactors is a key item in the game... and yes I know the bs about each classes weakness... but would it really kill the game if each race could make everything? would the servers shutdown? I hope that each class has enough strengths that who builds what is not the make it break it... speaking for myself I like all my toons to be terran and all have the same model... kinda a continutity roleplay same person kinda deal... so I only make terran toons...

its not like each race requires an interaction between one another... the interaction imo is between the players... and who builds what really does not change a race/class raid utillity... (oh well we dont need your class in a raid anymore cuz this class can build this now)... Well anyway... I realize a forum post aint gonna change anything... but just bringing it up...

Why would Terrans have the short end of the stick there? Let's Compare:

Traders:

Terran Tradesman:

Build Components

Build Devices

Build Engines

Build Shields

Build Weapons

Negotiate 7 (only class with Negotiate 7)

Strengths, Highest Negotiate in game, No racial restrictions on building.

Weakness: Cannot build Reactors

Jenquai Seeker:

Build Components

Build Devices

Build Engines

Build Reactors

Build Weapons

Negotiate 5

Strengths: Can build reactors,

Weakness: Cannot build Progen, cannot build shields, cannot match TT on price.

Progen Privateer:

Build Components

Build Shields

Build Reactors

Build Weapons

Negotiate 5

Strengths: Can build Reactors

Weaknesses: Cannot build Jenquai, cannot match TT on price, cannot build engines, cannot build devices, fewest builds for a Trader.

Warriors:

Terran Enforcer

Build Weapons

Build Engines

Negotiate 5

Strengths: Can build for less money than other Warriors, can make own ammo, No racial restrictions on building.

Weaknesses: Build Engines not very desriable as a skill

Jenquai Defender:

Build Devices

Build Weapons

Strengths: Can support self with 2 useful builds. Can build ammo, but most JWs use beams. (no ammo required)

Weaknesses: Cannot match TW on price no Negotiate, Cannot build Progen.

Progen Warrior:

Build Weapons

Strength: Can use skill to build own Ammo

Weaknesses: Fewest build skills of any class, Cannot match TW on Price no Negotiate, cannot build Jenquai.

Explorers:

Terran Scout:

Build Devices

Build Engines

Negotiate 5

Strengths: Can build for less money than other explorers, can build for all 3 races.

Weakness: Build Engines less desirable as a skill

Jenquai Explorer:

Build Devices

Build Reactors

Strengths: Can support self with builds of 2 items useful to JE.

Weaknesses: Cannot match TE on price building Devices. Cannot build Progen

Progen Sentinel:

Build Devices

Build Shields

Strengths: Can support self with builds of two items useful to PE

Weaknesses: Cannot match TE on price as a device builder, Cannot build Jenquai.

I find it hard to see how Terrans are screwed on builds, compared to the other races. If a TT could build reactors, why make a PT or JT for building?

To answer your question no it probably wouldn't kill the game, likewise equal cargo size for all archetypes wouldn't kill the game nor would Power down and Repulsor Field being changed so they are actually useful skills kill the game. Unfortunately changes like these are not likely to come for a long time if at all so we might as well just all consign ourselves to enjoying the game for what it is, that's what I have done anyway.

• Upvote 1

Add build reactors to Terrans because you only want to play that race and still be able to make everything?

basically to me... race and class are just shells... race and class is the clothing you wear and the color and wing design of your ship... so to me it wouldnt matter if every race were a carbon copy... but thats just me... kinda like the game MXO (yes I know it failed terribly, but had at least as many subscribers as enb) where you made your toon and picked the trees it went down...

oh and to me ... imo ... negotiate is irrelevant to this conversation... yes, it helps you level faster, yes it makes you more money... but in the end... you are L150 have a ton of cash... more than you could ever spend and so what you have negotiate... but maybe thats me and my friends playstyle... cuz credits is never really an issue...

negotiate is like the human racial trait in wow that gives you 5% more faction per gain... its nice... but when your getting eaten by Onyxia <or insert mob here> for the umptenth time its not quite as comforting :P

• Upvote 1

basically to me... race and class are just shells... race and class is the clothing you wear and the color and wing design of your ship... so to me it wouldnt matter if every race were a carbon copy... but thats just me... kinda like the game MXO (yes I know it failed terribly, but had at least as many subscribers as enb) where you made your toon and picked the trees it went down...

Eh? You don't like the idea of weaknesses and strengths present by class? Then I think your ideas about the game differ fundamentally from the devs', and a lot of us players', perspective on the game. I think class distinction is an indispensable part of the EnB experience, but thats my opinion ofcourse.. I happen to believe a lot of people share it, but still.

Well I do not think that every class/race should be the same.

Since some people play the class/race as a kind of RP type role; and doing this would remove that aspect from the game.

The thing I wish they could all do is build all types of XXXX for the build skills they have.

Meaning that anyone which can build reactors could build them all; but then the race restrictions would still hold for who could use them.

This would apply to weapons, devices, shields, engines, etc.

Now maybe there could be a 'hidden' race % modifier; which affects the final quality output of the item you are building. If you are not the specific race for that item.

This way builders could build them all for the build skills; but if you want the 200% lvl 7-9 item, you are going to have to go to a race specific builder for it.

Other than that I still enjoy the game and love playing it.

Also many kudos, beer, cookies, ice cream .... to the devs for getting it up and running again.

I wonder why none of the Terran classes cna buld reactor.

Did Terrans send their ships into space without anergy source?

Must be, as they are race-inept of building reactors.

This restriction makes no sense.

And, honestly, who can build the most complex devices, shields and engines is definitely capable of doing a reactor. It's not that reactors are magic voodoo devides which can be made only by a shaman of a different reace through his magical non-terran powers.

I would understand if one cannot build anything that is restricted to his race. Or every race can only build 'their' lot of devices but not those from 'alien' technologies. This would at least make sense (but what happens then with the looted stuff which is alien to all three), but the current limitation makes no sense.

But besides of this ununderstandable restriction, I second Avani. Everyone should be able to do anything. It should be more difficult for one than for the other, but not impossible. And of course the available skillpoints wouldn't allow to do everything to the max.

And yes, TTs have the highest possible negotiate skill, but it won't bring you anything at the end. Maybe you advance your trade level faster, but then any other one will have a much higher combat level after the same playtime. And as rightfully stated, with Level 150, your negotiation skill bekomes pretty much worthless. The higher weapon skills or fight buff skills of other races/classes are then still useful.

And at the time you can raise your negotiate above Lv5, you don't really need it anymore. And your skillpoints are better spent anywhere else. E.G. Navigate, or Recharge Shields (as this is the TTs only help in combat).

Actually I think that only the Traders should be able to build any device. After all they are the traders. The fighters might be able to jury-rig their equipment and make ammo and the explorers even to fix their hull. Explorers can mine and refine.

Actually every economical skill of the traders is also available for one or more other non-trade classes. But most of the other classes' specials are unavailable for a trader.

I generally think that the skills should be distributed differently than they are right now. More fitting to the RPG role a class has.

E.g. Progens are proud warriors (even the non-warrior classes), so they don't use missiles (distance weapons) or engines with buffs or capabilities that allow them to flee easily (slow warp speed). But higher compat speed to chase the enemy. This kind of background should define the skills of the classes/races. Currently, it looks more like there have been Dice used.

But I'm also sure that nothing of will be changed anytime soon, even if it get the appreciation of the DEVs.

Antara

Negotiate matters because the skill allows you to build an item for less money than someone without the skill. Your parts are cheaper for the vendor ones, and for the manu ones if you have L5 or higher, building those are cheaper, and so is building the final product. Having a lower overhead means you can price your items lower than your competition and still turn a profit. When word gets around that you can sell item X, for less money than the JT or PT selling the same thing, you become their first choice to buy from as they're getting what they want, for a lower price.

It might be okay to allow say, Terran Scouts to build reactors. However in order to maintain balance amongst the races/classes for the rest of the server that care about the differences, the rather lax implementation of racial restrictions on items would need to be a lot more restrictive, as well as comparable changes would need to happen to the other races. For example:

Terran Scouts could pick up build reactors, Jenquai Warriors or Seekers get build shields, Progen Privateers get build engines.

On top of that, I would think it'd be necessary to be more strict with the racial restrictions on current and future items, as well as a necessity to convert some currently neutral items to become racial restrictive. Some more examples of what I mean:

Halley DDO/Trifid engines would become Jenquai only. Built by and usable only by Jenquai. No change for Progens, but Terrans would lose the ability to use low sig engines from their Jenq friends and would be stuck with either looted race neutral items or stay with their own high-sig engines.

Warrior's Heart reactors (which were never buildable in live) would become Progen only. Again, built by and usable only by Progen. Once again, no change for Jenquai, but Terrans would lose what has become a VERY popular reactor choice and be reduced to using only things like Unicorn II (for speed), Supernova (for recharge, missile buff) or wait for a Black Power VIII.

I'm sure there's more that could be listed, the above are just two (admittedly contrived) examples of the downstream repercussions of the balancing effort needed, simply to allow Terrans to have a reactor builder in their ranks.

So in a nutshell, no it wouldn't destroy the game, but it would change the game dramatically.

Can anybody explain to me what this is all about ?

Are some people really think this game would be better if we where all the same? I can't hardly imagine that.

I wonder why none of the Terran classes cna buld reactor.

Did Terrans send their ships into space without anergy source?

Must be, as they are race-inept of building reactors.

This restriction makes no sense.

And, honestly, who can build the most complex devices, shields and engines is definitely capable of doing a reactor. It's not that reactors are magic voodoo devides which can be made only by a shaman of a different reace through his magical non-terran powers.

There is a very simple explanation for this. Most of the so called terran technologies are actually stolen from the Jenq and other races with help of the Progen forces. the next question would be how the jenq aquired all this tech. and how come the progen can build stuff at all in the first place, cause they only know how to shoot and stuff like that.

Im kinda getting really bored right now. if i want a progen and a terran and a jenq i make one. It worked just fine for years on live. So what is the problem?

Maybe one day, once we are live for a while we can evaluate, but even that would be more a job for the staff.

The rest is politics and should really not be discussed on this forum :(

• Upvote 1

Terrans get enough, in my opinion.

Not only with the equipment versatility in regards to Jen engines and Progen reactors and all the devices, but cargo hold size as well. Cargo itself is a huge advantage. Trade levels faster, warriors can hold more loot, and Scouts have an enormous advantage over other mining classes.

Honestly I would do fine with the Warrior's Heart line becoming Progen only. My Scout feels a bit overpowered right now. There would need to be a lower-signature Terran line produced if the Halley/Hebe line became Jenquai only, though. Ever try to hunt in Cooper with either a Solar Sail or an Eagle line engine? Neither works very well, the Tengu were designed around everybody in there being low-sig and quick.

There needs to be a gameplay reason to want to play Jenquai or Progen traders aside from aesthetics.

you are L150 have a ton of cash... more than you could ever spend and so what you have negotiate...but maybe thats me and my friends playstyle...
Onoz yoo haz freunds wiv a secrut pwaystyle! hao wur yoo so ritch dooring live yoo be da only wan wiv munney den

oh and to me ... imo ... negotiate is irrelevant to this conversation... yes, it helps you level faster, yes it makes you more money... but in the end... you are L150 have a ton of cash... more than you could ever spend and so what you have negotiate... but maybe thats me and my friends playstyle... cuz credits is never really an issue...

Credits was never an issue* If this emulator is going to be better than live which it likely will then bazillions of credits and 1000% inflation per month shouldnt happen

Onoz yoo haz freunds wiv a secrut pwaystyle! hao wur yoo so ritch dooring live yoo be da only wan wiv munney den

Credits was never an issue* If this emulator is going to be better than live which it likely will then bazillions of credits and 1000% inflation per month shouldnt happen

Tyran, do you even have any characters or do you just like to troll the forums trying to irritate people? With your condescending attitude you show here, and your homophobic comments about Jenquai, just what is your purpose here?

• Upvote 2

Guest Builder

Its hard enough to have uniqueness in the game as it stands without this suggestion. Next you'll be wanting everyone to have level 9 weapons for everything, so everyone can get missiles. Then everyone to get tactics and then suddenly everyone is as good as anyone else. Why bother having 9 class/race then? Why not just have one. Oh hang on, we're trying to get some individualisation into the game!

[Work Computer]

It is very simple. The "Gate War Treaty" specifically states that "No Terran, or any of their direct decendents, will ever build or repair Starship Reactors".

Progens and Jenquai each made other concessions, which on the surface seem to make little sense. But, it is what was required at the time to get all combatants to sign the treaty.

Anything in the relationship between the races that doesn't "seem logical" can be found in the gate war treaty.

• Upvote 1

btw avani wot in ur opinion is tons of cash???coz i live i had over 2x max credits in my characters and that still wasnt really much...since some items sold for 1b+ then...so basicly to have uber stuff u need alot of $$$ which a terran generates faster then any other classes till the higher lvls.

btw avani wot in ur opinion is tons of cash???coz i live i had over 2x max credits in my characters and that still wasnt really much...since some items sold for 1b+ then...so basicly to have uber stuff u need alot of $$$ which a terran generates faster then any other classes till the higher lvls.

well the guild I'm in had plenty of cash too and we raided all the time ... so eventually you got the loot awarded to you with no need for 1b creds... at sunset we had to have at least 7-8 accounts filled with bank toons just to store it all... when I was in charge of it... I couldn't give ubers away fast enough...

and dont get me wrong... I dont want god mode... hell I would be happy with the exact JE configuration with one change... let me change my ship to look terran and my toon to look terran you can even call me a jenqui explorer... I just want toon look and ship config to my liking... keep in mind there is no war between the races... or overriding conflict, no jen or prog or ter restricted space to due race war... yeah the jens are a little pissed at the prog, and to the progs all jens are good for is dessert... so they will both be babies and not make one anothers items... but in the end, they are just petty restrictions which have invented ingame reasons with the real reason to appease people?...

so let me rephrase "Would it really destroy the game if I could make a JE that looked like and had a ship that looked like a terran?"

I agree with this, every ship component should be built by some class in each race.

However I also agree that the 3 races rely on each other, and thus if you can't build everything you need to work together to accomplish a common goal. (Build a reactor for someone who can't and they build you an engine that you can't make.)

But wherever, this was the way the game was and we are all used to it. Let's just leave it be, shall we?

I'll agree with Avani. No it wouldn't kill or hurt the game. In fact, the emulator needs all build skills distributed inside of each race. At one point & one previous iteration of the dev team, we all had agreed on that. Dunno why it changed.

Ghengis - respect the backstory. There's nothing at all in there about terrans not building reactors or jenqs not building shields, or progens not building engines. Don't make up stuff just for your own ends.

Fact is this, the 3 races DO NOT get along, AT ALL. The so-called peace after the Gate War is nothing of the sort. There is still a state of near war, growing unrest, constant conflict between the 3 races. There is no good reason at all why each race wouldn't be making all their own items internally between their own classes and try to rely less on the other races. EnB is a powderkeg. Fuse is lit. Only a matter of time...

Conflict between races and classes deepens our future storylines' potential, and provides for more roleplay opportunities for those players interested in it.

Fact is, originally WW intended for JT,PT,TT to build engines & shields. JE,PE,TE to build reactors. (other skills not addressed here) When they removed 3 classes from the original release, they had to make accomodations with rebalancing and shifted the build shield skill to the PE instead of the PT, so the progens would be able to have the best player-made shields in-game (and took away build reactors). Thus it was we ended up with JE,JW,PE,PW,TT,TW as we did, and the other 3 character types left out, and some of their skills left out.

well the guild I'm in had plenty of cash too and we raided all the time ... so eventually you got the loot awarded to you with no need for 1b creds... at sunset we had to have at least 7-8 accounts filled with bank toons just to store it all... when I was in charge of it... I couldn't give ubers away fast enough...and dont get me wrong... I dont want god mode... hell I would be happy with the exact JE configuration with one change... let me change my ship to look terran and my toon to look terran you can even call me a jenqui explorer... I just want toon look and ship config to my liking... keep in mind there is no war between the races... or overriding conflict, no jen or prog or ter restricted space to due race war... yeah the jens are a little pissed at the prog, and to the progs all jens are good for is dessert... so they will both be babies and not make one anothers items... but in the end, they are just petty restrictions which have invented ingame reasons with the real reason to appease people?...so let me rephrase "Would it really destroy the game if I could make a JE that looked like and had a ship that looked like a terran?"

Let me get this right, u making all this noise because u want a cosmetic intervention?

U would be perfectly happy with a JE if it would look like a terran?

And u perfectly happy with the JE ship if it would look like a terran ship?

U sure u dont wanna be a JE that looks like a Nightelf at daytime flying a JE ship that looks like a Golem?

whats wrong with the jenquai look?

Let me get this right, u making all this noise because u want a cosmetic intervention?

U would be perfectly happy with a JE if it would look like a terran?

And u perfectly happy with the JE ship if it would look like a terran ship?

U sure u dont wanna be a JE that looks like a Nightelf at daytime flying a JE ship that looks like a Golem?

whats wrong with the jenquai look?

No cosmic intervention required... maybe a little venting :( but I dont expect anything to change... just dreaming

Yes

Yes

Dont get me wrong... I love the diversity in the universe... and no offense to you and your kind... but then again if the only 2 people left in the universe were me and a jenpie dame... I would probably start trying to reproduce with a jar of cavier and hope for the best :)

/disclaimer - jk btw for all you sensitive types out there

well the guild I'm in had plenty of cash too and we raided all the time ... so eventually you got the loot awarded to you with no need for 1b creds... at sunset we had to have at least 7-8 accounts filled with bank toons just to store it all... when I was in charge of it... I couldn't give ubers away fast enough...

and dont get me wrong... I dont want god mode... hell I would be happy with the exact JE configuration with one change... let me change my ship to look terran and my toon to look terran you can even call me a jenqui explorer... I just want toon look and ship config to my liking... keep in mind there is no war between the races... or overriding conflict, no jen or prog or ter restricted space to due race war... yeah the jens are a little pissed at the prog, and to the progs all jens are good for is dessert... so they will both be babies and not make one anothers items... but in the end, they are just petty restrictions which have invented ingame reasons with the real reason to appease people?...

so let me rephrase "Would it really destroy the game if I could make a JE that looked like and had a ship that looked like a terran?"

for some reason i have the feeling wot u call uber isnt uber at all...just let me put it like this why would stuff sell for 1b+ easily if it was quite easy to get with guild?????