Is ST4 fulfilling the objectives of a stress test?

54 members have voted

1. 1. Is ST4 fulfilling the objectives as a stress test?

• Yes
    • No

Yes , yes it is !!

The feed back and crash dump info must be very helpful for assessing the stress level of the 'server'

Much more stress can/will be applied when more content is added, like jobs and various missions from npc's

AND double or triple the number of players. WE need more players , I think ..

There are dozens reasons why this is working. Probably a majority of those reasons I don't even know about or understand.

I would really like to see a [DEV](s) view on the question.

In some respects yes, but in others no.. While there seems to be good feedback to the devs, we need to be more observant in matters such as crashing when gating or logging in. I'm surprised there hasnt been more desire to get to the source of the gate/login crashes as that does tend to dent a new players experience and enjoyment.

I feel there also could be more improvement on player participation in the developing process, like missions for explorer / miner types to scout out new sectors and place nav points for example...

I like to say yes as much as I am able to observe being a tester/player and the fact that I have been more diligent in reporting bugs myself. The only thing that I would like to have/know is an ability to search through existing reports and if I find something that matches what I am experiencing, I can add information to that to help cut down on the duplicate reports and also have an opportunity of providing the powers that be as much information as possible in a centralized location. I know that it would not be perfect but would also help cut down on people asking if something is known or not and help ensure new issues and even existing issues are well documented. This is of course my opinion and that's all I've gots to say about that.

Without knowing the objectives defined by the development team on what is to be accomplished in this phase and what is considered a success, it's purely speculation.

From a stability standpoint, there seems to be more "oopsies" on the current box than there were in ST3 on the backup server. Whether that's code/hardware/network/user error, no idea.

(didn't vote)

Yes.

The majority of the players are playing on ST4 as they want to see the game go live. We all know that ST4 as the previous ones, is goin to be limited.

I guess most of us are here to report bugs and issues. Well... having fun at the same time is not bad :)

As for the bugs and crashes... I do not expect to see everything fixed within a day or two. The code is not such an easy thing to build/rebuild and it will take time. Let me remind you that a team of 100+ developers were working for other games such as STO and it took them 5 years+ to deliver a final result which still have minor bugs.

The Devs team is working on the right direction.

I would say (even if it is a S.T. phrase) "all hands to battle stations", help the Devs team the way you can.

Andreas

I voted yes, but my real answer is yesandno. :D

The server seems to be doing what it is intended to do, the game as a whole is leaps and bounds better than it was back in ST2, so, much work has been done.

I would like to see bug threads closed in the support section if the bug is fixed. There are many threads there, and searching to find pertinent info is a pain before starting a thread only to be told by someone, "known bug".

There is still much work to be done...

Gate to desktop crashes

Grouping bugs, wow theres a boatload of those lol

Mission bugs, looping uncompleteable non-advancing utterly frustrating kill all the fun bugs

Weapons going offline during combat, even if they still have ammo loaded in them

Buff /Debuff skills not working unless playing windowed, looping non-stop graphics after a skill activation, gating and disappearing skill icons

Mission advancement items being tradeable, destroyable requiring GM intervention to complete mission, items that go poof because hold was full instead of talktree telling you to go empty your cargo dumbarse

Just to name a few...

And before you say it, yeah yeah I know... Known bugs

And still here!

No doubt about, the Devs have come a very long way! The game as it is needs work, and they are doing just that. For which I am eternally grateful as I get to login and play my favoritist alltime game once again. :)

ever since we all saw the broacast message "Reloading Sector and Mobs" the game has had numerous problems which I am sure have taken the complete attention of the Dev team trying to repair the problems of late, and I applaud them for their work!

So maybe my answer shoulda been yes, no, and yes. :D

Guest Builder

Reloading sectors and mobs is a developer command that shoudn't be used on the play server as it requires the following to be true to work:

1. Only you are the player in the sector

2. (Up to recently) there are no corpses in the sector

Now on the developer server this is not hard to achieve. The command may have been used in error on play server in the past to try and allow for a quick fix to mob spawns, navs, roids, in fact anything that a sector update would require. Of course, this will mean it will crash if anyone else was in this sector or (until recently) if there were any corpses. The moral of the story is wait for changes to be implemented, it'll require server shut down to do, but in the long run its a lot better than attempted quick fixes by developers who really meant to help you!

[Work Computer]

Reloading sectors and mobs is a developer command that shoudn't be used on the play server as it requires the following to be true to work:

1. Only you are the player in the sector

2. (Up to recently) there are no corpses in the sector

Now on the developer server this is not hard to achieve. The command may have been used in error on play server in the past to try and allow for a quick fix to mob spawns, navs, roids, in fact anything that a sector update would require. Of course, this will mean it will crash if anyone else was in this sector or (until recently) if there were any corpses. The moral of the story is wait for changes to be implemented, it'll require server shut down to do, but in the long run its a lot better than attempted quick fixes by developers who really meant to help you!

[Work Computer]

Someone reloaded sectors and mobs last night on the play server. It was in the yellow broadcast text and reached several sectors (dunno the range of this command).

Anyways..

In terms of fulfilling the classic purposes of a stress test? No it's not fulfilling that in the least. True stress tests are either unit tests for stressing a specific area, and are thus scheduled and published, or they are full on load tests of all aspects of a closed system (by closed I mean feature locked).

So far there has been no scheduled nor published elements for folks to "stress." And since there's been content and code/functionality changes through this phase no obvious links to anything that was "stressed", the purists view of stress loading a system doesn't apply. You can't stress load a changing system. It has to be feature locked and then stress loaded. You CAN stress a set of elements/features, but these need to be published and coordinated. I've not seen any of this type of activity, so TLDR....

No ST4 is not fulfilling the purposes of a traditional software stress test.

well if the goal of st4 was to get back to st1-2 stage i should have voted yes...

server is way to unstable after the pwipe and new hardware...

many of the bugs that ware solved in st3 are back in game ,

im geting sometimes 15-25 ftp on a quad core/8gb ram/2gm gddr4 ATI

nerfing everything but not put new devices/content to the game , can just nothing but sux

only hope that all the stuff that broke on us just a side effect and we will see some major imp. soon

dont wanted to sounds mean but its how i see it.

i love this game and would do anything to help but most i can do is just play and see how it goes .... :P

so why is it that there are threads popping up everywhere questioning about player wipes and if ST4 is working well, if we should call it an alpha test or a stress test?

I know everyone is cranky about not getting their ENB fix, but considering just a few nights ago I received a tongue lashing in new players chat for suggesting that the PP level 30 hull mission had too many steps, I think people need to take a dose of the medicine they administered me about "not being grateful for the chance to play ENB again".

The log in server is having major issues, but something tells me that some log in issues do not indicate a player wipe is needed. After some content was added and bugs were fixed people started having log in issues, however, I am sure there is a way to fix the problem without a player wipe.

They have added plenty of new content for us to test...and we seem to have found several things broken(CTD's,login issues,faction issues,ect)...so, yeah, I would say this is a successful test, wouldn't you all?

<shrug> you are beta testing a game...it wont be finished for quite a while. Might as well get used to the ups and downs. Ask some of the veteran players how ENB was in the original alpha and beta tests...

Guest Byakhee / Growlz / Builder

Doubt if you can call it alpha

Its pre-alpha

Its at the stage that probably most game companies out there would not release it to the public for testing, but here its 'kind-of' playable - you can interract but know that there are going to be 'hic-cups'. No staff member takes any salary, its all done in spare time and currently mine is getting rather thin myself due to 'family' 'work' 'retraining in object oriented programming - java' 'possible redundancy' issues that are now encroaching on time myself.

[Work* Computer]

* not much at the moment, in fact I just saw a tumbleweed roll past and someone is playing the harmonica.

In terms of fulfilling the classic purposes of a stress test? No it's not fulfilling that in the least. True stress tests are either unit tests for stressing a specific area, and are thus scheduled and published, or they are full on load tests of all aspects of a closed system (by closed I mean feature locked).

So far there has been no scheduled nor published elements for folks to "stress." And since there's been content and code/functionality changes through this phase no obvious links to anything that was "stressed", the purists view of stress loading a system doesn't apply. You can't stress load a changing system. It has to be feature locked and then stress loaded. You CAN stress a set of elements/features, but these need to be published and coordinated. I've not seen any of this type of activity, so TLDR....

No ST4 is not fulfilling the purposes of a traditional software stress test.

This.

• 3 years later...