Possible GM Abuse of Powers

And the RD base was removed from the game for adjustments about 2-3 weeks ago. These are fresh.

I don't know what GM made them, but they were made today and given to two or more players for doing some sort of side-game.

i was one of the guys who got a hellbore for completing the "missions" given by the gm the fastest. goretw was the other one.

the missions included buying tradegoods from all over the galaxy as well as hunting and looting fairly low level mobs (lvl 10 and less).

i actually thought i was slow doing this stuff, but when i got back with the last part he said i was the first terran to complete the game.

i see nothing wrong with that.

i was one of the guys who got a hellbore for completing the "missions" given by the gm the fastest. goretw was the other one.

the missions included buying tradegoods from all over the galaxy as well as hunting and looting fairly low level mobs (lvl 10 and less).

i actually thought i was slow doing this stuff, but when i got back with the last part he said i was the first terran to complete the game.

i see nothing wrong with that.

Well, imho the thing wrong about it is, that there haven't been equal chances since GM's decided on their own to create such an event without announcing it on for example Forums.

I would have loved a Hellbore for my Terran.

Please let’s all keep this in perspective.

I got on at the tail end of this event. Roughly twenty minutes left. Thought to myself “wow if only” if only I had gotten on sooner, if only I was a higher level, if only I had access to unlimited WHs. Then I remembered ST3 (not so long ago) all my running around to get uber equipment, the best PLs, reactor, shields, yes even MLs. But it was all wiped clean in the blink of an eye.

I sit here and watch players fight about KS, and complain about this favor or that favor. As far as I know this is yet another Stress test. We are going to get a wipe sooner or later. So stop the fighting it really is not worth it at this stage of the game…if ever.

So what if some GM holds an impromptu event?

It seems fairer to me if no one knows about it in advance. And if some players get a prize and gain an advantage to kill faster…it is still a stress test, tomorrow we may all be back to level 0.

And if you think about it, it is a great way to have some additional fun in game.

I hope this GM keeps it up through this ST any future tests and well into the live game.

Well, imho the thing wrong about it is, that there haven't been equal chances since GM's decided on their own to create such an event without announcing it on for example Forums.

I would have loved a Hellbore for my Terran.

well they did the same in stresstest 3. there were at least 2 events where i couldnt participate because i noticed it too late. that is life.

i was only able to participate this time because i have two days off this week. otherwise i would have been at work at that time.

im pretty sure that there will be more games/events like that.

"12. A GM will not use the GM account/character to aid fellow players to gain credits, levels, experience, or any items."

Rules like this don't exist to spoil people's fun, but to keep the game balanced and fair for everyone. GM's should be an invisible presence of assistance and enforcement, not Easter Bunnies.

If you didn't get an item/credits/experience/faction from intended game mechanics, then odds are good that there is a TOS violation somewhere in there.

2 days before a p-wipe, sure, go nuts with the games, but suggesting that stuff like this continues in live invalidates any legitimate work done by players playing the game "as intended".

• Upvote 1

Guest Byakhee

The following vebose statemenent is my own opinion.

A stress test should be used to flag up problems and if encountered hopefully fixes will be coded to overcome these. These fixes however are done by volunteers in their spare time, on their local machine, then uploaded to development server to see if it works there. It is here the staff members should be able to see if something is wrong. However, don't forget the code on the developer server may be in advance of the playing server so if a partial copy is pulled across some problem changes can occur.

It is a stress test. Code can go wrong. However, this shouldn't give a cart blanche for staff to create items for players 'because the mission is not updating' or 'because it is not dropping'. If everyone gets past this mission or part of the game, who will be around to check it is working and if the code has been fixed? It is one of the reasons why we can't spawn mobs and give items out any more (or this was my understanding for at least 12 months!!). Because, whats' the point. If this occurs are we testing?

So we wait for the fix to be created. Wait for the fix to be tested (Developer server). Then wait for the fix to be implemented. Small snippets of code implemented to create or expand one concept of the game may have effects elsewhere. Simply rolling back to an earlier version and buring your head in the sand is not an option, as we all want this emulator to succeed to its full potential.

So strap yourselves in and prepare for the ride, although your vehicle may not be fully M.O.T'd; a seagul has just landed some guano on your windscreen and a rhino is standing in the road thinking you are a rival. It may be a bumpy ride but we'd rather get things fixed than apply a quick bypass.

[Work Computer]

2 days before a p-wipe, sure, go nuts with the games, but suggesting that stuff like this continues in live invalidates any legitimate work done by players playing the game "as intended".

can we have p-wipes every 3rd day please B)

they have to make mission items for players that lost them. these mission items sometimes include devices and other equipment. It also gives them the ability to put equipment on their own ships. With these weapons they can kill powerful mobs when they need to help out players in bugged scenarios. Also, something about a GM using level 1 beams just isn't right. It's not intimidating enough.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. We DEVs and GMs aren't corrupt, though we have had an issue or two with staff giving out items. I wanted to let you guys know that it is completely against the rules for any staff to give out created items.

"12. A GM will not use the GM account/character to aid fellow players to gain credits, levels, experience, or any items."

In the case of them running an event, they should have talked to other members of the team before they did it. I would hope if the created items exist they will be removed. Any staff member who had involvement will be questioned.

Looks like this GM was "Busted" but all in all not the end of the world as we know it.

It is a stress test. Code can go wrong. However, this shouldn't give a cart blanche for staff to create items for players 'because the mission is not updating' or 'because it is not dropping'. If everyone gets past this mission or part of the game, who will be around to check it is working and if the code has been fixed? It is one of the reasons why we can't spawn mobs and give items out any more (or this was my understanding for at least 12 months!!).

This is my only complaint. Currently missions don't work and by now most people know it. I would think its safe to assume the problem is being heavily worked on behind the scenes, and hopefully it is fixed soon as it really hinders new players. GMs need the ability to create items to fix problems that arise. If GM's hold events for fun rewards, people bitch at them. If they didn't, people would bitch about that. They can't post and say "ok Friday evening at 9pm EDT we will be holding an event for items/levels!" All that would do is switch the 'advantage' to the large guilds, which IMO seems to be the basis of some peoples moaning, my guild cant camp for this 24/7 so no one should have it.

You don't get to keep your chars, the gear, the credits or anything else at this point so why worry about it.

Devs, the ability of GM's to make items would not be neccessary if the mission items were:

Not tradeable

Not manufacturable

Unique

Not destroyable

Which, many of the Terran items I have gotten for missions have been.

Also, if someone talks to a mission giver with a full cargo bay, there should be a trigger changing the talk tree advising them to empty cargo before continuing.

As to the events, the only one I got to be part of was just before last wipe, hide and seek. That was fun (due to me finding a GM :)) So I am ok with them making things, so long as the Dev/GM staff are all in the loop on it and it is an authorised event.

I witnessed this event from beginning to end and chose not to participate. I instead capitalized on the suddenly sparse Glenn fields. It seemed all kosher to me, but I wasn't in N7 to actually watch how the lines were handled.

But ultimately:

- This is a stress test. These items will soon be wiped and we'll all be L1 again, scrambling around the starter areas and trying to score the first analysis on the Hounfour shield line to gain status as an alpha builder on the server.

- This game is free, brought to you through the hard work and free time of people as passionate about E&B as you are, only these people actually did something. Not that they should be immune to accusations of favoritism, but give them the benefit of the doubt.

- This is a video game, an emulated server of a dead MMORPG. Don't get worked up over it.

Final statement: This is not important. Quit with the conspiracy theories and drama and apply that kind of critical thinking toward areas that may actually impact the meaningful parts of your life. This game is all just ones and zeros. I'd assume that losing characters we'd all spent months or years on five years ago forever would be a revelation, that the game is meant to be treated as a light leisure activity. Why isn't it?

I witnessed this event from beginning to end and chose not to participate. I instead capitalized on the suddenly sparse Glenn fields. It seemed all kosher to me, but I wasn't in N7 to actually watch how the lines were handled.

But ultimately:

- This is a stress test. These items will soon be wiped and we'll all be L1 again, scrambling around the starter areas and trying to score the first analysis on the Hounfour shield line to gain status as an alpha builder on the server.

- This game is free, brought to you through the hard work and free time of people as passionate about E&B as you are, only these people actually did something. Not that they should be immune to accusations of favoritism, but give them the benefit of the doubt.

- This is a video game, an emulated server of a dead MMORPG. Don't get worked up over it.

Final statement: This is not important. Quit with the conspiracy theories and drama and apply that kind of critical thinking toward areas that may actually impact the meaningful parts of your life. This game is all just ones and zeros. I'd assume that losing characters we'd all spent months or years on five years ago forever would be a revelation, that the game is meant to be treated as a light leisure activity. Why isn't it?

+1

Geesh Rudo, you must be some kind of freak twin or something. Thoughts exactly mirror my own. Freaky.

lol what is this topic ..."omg someone got a item i would like to use....maaaaamaaaa, i want one tooooooo"

2 players got HBs and the greed starts , who cares its just a item that gona be droped again once kui get back in game

ok if a GM would give away flingers/ballistas and Intents for spez. missions...items you cant get on your own...

ok to complain then ...but not about an item that will drop prolly next week again,

or cant you kill something in the game without a hellbore ? doubt it

so just tell "grats man" to rb and gore and join their group, if you like the 8.1k plasma debuff

B)

edit : i loged on that day, exactly 2 min before GM told in general ...

"thanks all for taking part , this is the end of the event"

• Upvote 2

lol what is this topic ..."omg someone got a item i would like to use....maaaaamaaaa, i want one tooooooo"

2 players got HBs and the greed starts , who cares its just a item that gona be droped again once kui get back in game

ok if a GM would give away flingers/ballistas and Intents for spez. missions...items you cant get on your own...

ok to complain then ...but not about an item that will drop prolly next week again,

or cant you kill something in the game without a hellbore ? doubt it

so just tell "grats man" to rb and gore and join their group, if you like the 8.1k plasma debuff

B)

edit : i loged on that day, exactly 2 min before GM told in general ...

"thanks all for taking part , this is the end of the event"

If you think I was posting this because I am angry that they have a hellbore and I don't, you're sadly mistaken. The entire reason behind posting this was the fact that I knew the RD base was taken out of the game before anyone could kill it and get a hellbore. It was said in the past that part of the reason the player wipe occurred last time was largely in part because a few GM's abused their powers and handed out a bunch of items. The last thing I want at this point in the game is to have to start over again because a few GM's can't control themselves. 1 item isn't going to make or break the reason I play this game and thats because of the community and the game itself. So, if anyone is angry because I felt it necessary to expose a possible abuse, you can talk to me about it in game or by PM.

The whole "it's stress test" "it's free who cares" additude don't fly with me. There are alot of people that are giving their free time to make a playable, enjoyable game for us to play. So anyone on the Net-7 side of things that does not have the games best interest in mind should go away, IMHO. Violating simple rules would indicate they don't have the games best interest in mind.

This topic is about keeping a server clean from abuse, not a whine thread. The OP could care less about having one, nor do I really care about having one.

It's important to get this stuff sorted out before the game goes live. Doesn't matter if it was a Hellbore or a Grek Cranium, it's a discussion about the enforcement/ethics pertaining to what the GM's are doing.

As explicitly stated above, by staff, GM's should not be creating items in this manner. If you disagree with that then propose a new net-7 user agreement.

well was comenting the whole topic not your posts floss/trapt,

i agree this is ST and servers should stay clear ....

but Kui was/is supposted to be in game,

so by now there would be way more HBs/SMs/TRs/Vipers ect

nothing that isnt supposted to be in game at this moment

.... so what are we talking about ?

• Upvote 2

How is this "GM abuse of powers"? They're GMs, and they can do whatever they want because they helped being this game back in the first place! B)

Also, how would one acquire a rare item that the GMs are giving away (like the hellbore)? Is it just random/luck of the draw or do you have to be online the same time as them and hope you have no plans when a contest is running so you can participate?

Because every time I see the GMs run one of these contests when I'm online, I know I won't have enough time to participate in it before I log, and thus fail to get the item. I think that's the problem here, not "GMs abusing their power". lol.

ok. I too was on server when the "contest" was announced. The GM told folks that wanted a little fun and possible uber loot to go to general chat. He then waited a bit for folks then told them that he had some uber stuff and some quests in mind and that the first 2 would get the uber..and that he and other stuff also good. When someone asked him what was up for grabs one of the things was hellbore, when they asked how he got his hands on that he said "he had it for quite a while in his vault..and thought it was time to give it out." After a bit more he then said what the rules was and started to lay out the parameters of the quest. He said of the uber items you could only win one per player and that they was going to have to go get a list of items for him and the first back got stuff. At that point I said (with sarcasm) "oh good..go fetch, FUN...not my idea of fun..I'm out GL." and left general.

I guess he continued refining his contest after I left general because other players continued to convo me about it..saying that he had decided that uberloot was actually to be to race also...so that a progen like me could get stuff a progen would need not a hellbore etc. when I said I still wasn't interested because "go fetch" quests was rigged and flawed from the outset and that a contest that had me wasting time running all around universe to get who knows what and me not having a chance wasn't "fun" to me..thanks anyway.

At that point players started wanting to know why I was mad and negative..I asked them sorry did it seem like that? I didnt intend that..I just didnt like to go fetch..it wasn't fun to me..and I also knew that multi-boxers and folks with WH had a leg up on a slow poke solo progen B) I wished them GL and went on my way with what I was doing. They kept urging me to join still..that why was I down on multiboxers..I had to keep explaining that I wasn't..that it was a game and GL using there alts to out WH all the other multiboxers etc. Let me know when he had some other non-go fetch contest..I might be interested in riddles or combat or something.

So..now we get to it, He said that he had that loot in his vault for a long time..that he looted it..and had saved it to give out in a contest. As other players have pointed out. If he looted it..how? RD base has been down. If he looted it the first week when the RD base was up..how he get to CL 50 in 3 days? Seems as sketchy to me in hind sight as it is to other players...

It's a game I know..everyone has their idea of fun. Mine would be that side events be preannounced and designed so that ALL players can join if they so choose AND that the contest be designed so that no one class/multi-boxers/guild can skew the results. I rememeber in live the contest that a rich industrialist NPC had called the "great curcuit" that had you go here and there fetching items and dropping them off along the way, you had a 24 hr period to run the circuit and cap the quest..the next day you recieved a uber item lvl and class approprate. You could do this with all of your toons. THIS type of contest should be what goes..so that EVERYONE can have a chance not a set few with advantages that others dont.

I agree with Matt and Hal on the issue (time constraints for play time), however... Being that this is a test, I think the gm was just trying to spice things up a little bit for folks. I was online at the time, and saw Matt's response. Nothing negative or snotty from him at all! Matt has a great point though, for the future of special events. I think a little planning would be perfect!

The only real problem I can see are the people always worrying about what others have...and what they have not. Any time you mix so many people, from all over the world in one place there will be conflict of one sort of another.

So, to all the whiners... Shut up! All devs/gm's ought have a maxxed toon (or close to it) from day one so they can look at all the higher level sectors/mobs for testing purposes. So yeah, I can see a gm having uber-loot on day one! you betcha! For the time they spend building this game, how can they play... and level a toon? Lets be realistic here!

So... abuse of powers? Not even close

(9):10:19:16 [General] Alcapone: he is a gm he can make more hb's :P

(9):10:19:26 [General] P2963 [DGM]: no I can't

(9):10:19:48 [General] Data: just make if fair for us slow ass PWs hehe

(9):10:19:51 [General] Hashmanisje: all I heard was any questions so I said that thing about the sparrow

(9):10:19:55 [General] P2963 [DGM]: I cannot make items for this....only items I have looted while out playing since start of ST4

Note the bolded parts.

The items were not GM created.

Devs, the ability of GM's to make items would not be neccessary if the mission items were:

Not tradeable

Not manufacturable

Unique

Not destroyable

Which, many of the Terran items I have gotten for missions have been.

Also, if someone talks to a mission giver with a full cargo bay, there should be a trigger changing the talk tree advising them to empty cargo before continuing.

As to the events, the only one I got to be part of was just before last wipe, hide and seek. That was fun (due to me finding a GM :)) So I am ok with them making things, so long as the Dev/GM staff are all in the loop on it and it is an authorised event.

Many of the items you get from missions are such, but for one reason or another a new code push causes problems with old code and suddenly those mission items can be sold again (or traded or dropped, etc). In the end it happens, we want to fix it on a permanent basis but we're trying to re-work some things with missions at present.

As for events, there should be some kind of announcement allowing people to be involved. If someone is handing out items to their friends and gets caught they are subject to disciplinary actions at any level of staff. For that matter, if they're caught handing out uber items to their own playing account we also will get miffed. There's no reason a GM (or any other member of staff) should cheat given the rules on items and helping other players. Staff commands are meant to be used for staff purposes on staff characters, the ONLY ones that should be crossing this line and using them on players are GMs who have a ticket about an issue (if the issue warrants interference) and Developers who are asking you to test something or show them something. We frequently have to look at detailed stats on your character to see what's happening.

It is different if we all agree on it, because we can come up with something a little more balanced than a scavenger hunt that everyone will actually have a chance to complete. :P

• Upvote 1