Beginner's Building Guide!

Alright! This got wiped from the original forum, so I'm reposting it here. Newbies find the whole build system really confusing, but since you're expected to use player made items and not vendor or loot items (mostly) in E&B, it's really important that everyone understand it.

So I'm providing a guide! Here it is. In the next post, I will copy and paste the guide so that it can be read without downloading.

Building Guide By Scrabble.rtf

I thought I would add some "insider" info to the above. I walked thru analyze, dismantle and build source code for current server build and here are my finds, in addition to the stuff listed above:

Jenquais get extra bonus to analyze chance. It is hard to tell what the exact amount is since the formula is pretty complicated and draws from characters stats, but it is sizable.

Terrans get extra bonus to build quality. Again, it is not obvious what it is, the formula is pretty complicated.

Progens get extra bonus to dismantle skill, you have higher chance to get each component. At least here it is obvious what it is and it is flat 20%.

Also, I couldn't find anything that would indicate that amount of formulas would affect build quality, so I have to provisionally disagree on that one :)

Knowing the above, you'd probably want to have Jenq character build uber rare items since they have the most chance to analyze these successfully. You don't want to fail analyzing these L9 scales.

Common place items, use Terran. You will get consistently better results when building.

As for number of recipes, the devs have said it repeatedly - even said the exact numbers on public channels. More to the point, I look at the quality chances on weapons, where I have fifty million recipes, and engines, where I have half a dozen? NO comparison.

Dunno, what I said is that the source code doesn't have a variable like that so maybe it is just wishful thinking. You know, some people claim that faction matters as well (does not yet), time of day as well, and when you hold your left ear and stand on the right leg does as well.

cool, thanks alot!

anyone have opinion on PW building all their own ammo...

seems like a drain of skill points, but save on credits.

any firsthand knowledge?

I don't know about the save on credits aspect. Are you comparing PW-built vs. storebought? After a certain point the PW is going to strongly prefer PM ammo to storebought - so at that point they are either building it themselves or having someone else build it for them.

If the PW belongs to a guild it's usually not too hard to find a guildmate that will help you out and build the ammo, otherwise - time permitting - Market channel will typically find a builder.

For maximum flexibility, yes, having the PW with the build skill to craft their own ammo is the bees knees. As you point out, though, that's a lot of skill points to sink into build weps - and it's tough for a PW to price-compete against a player with high-level Negotiate. So you have to decide whether you think you'll have access to builders to maintain a steady supply of ammo (cuz we know PW's burn through that fast) and if you're OK with going store-bought for those times you can't get hooked up - keep the skill points.

My primary is a TT with max weps build so I can build all my PW's stuff, but I still made the modest investment of skill pts to get Build Weps lvl 3 for my PW for convenience in the early stages.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Touch on couple things about "live" you quoted far down in your post OP but would like to highlight it:

ANALYZING :if you had a high level of build skill and was dismantling/learning lower items you often could learn the whole chain. I will use OGUN as example..if you got the lvl 6 ogun you could analyze, learn 6 and get a lvl 5 and a part in return from the terminal, you could then analyze the 5 get a recipe and a lvl 4 and part back..all the way down to the first lvl item..I say COULD..not likely! Somewhere in there you usually missed something. (I did it a few times).

PLAYER MADE RECIPES: if you had the whole chain good for you!..but you could help out your guildies out sometimes also..how you ask? example with OGUN again: you build a lvl 6 up then disassemble it, you will get a lvl 5 OGUN and a part back. You can then turn over that lvl 5 gun over to them to analyze as its not considered playermade anymore. You could rinse repeat as often as needed for them to learn the whole chain EXCLUDING the highest lvl you started with, for that you then drag the out to the loot drop site for a little combat xp :D

FACTION ON SUCCESS: during "live" it had been speculated and much ancedotal evidence towards it that your faction standing towards the owner of the station effected your chances to analyze in that station. As a beta-beta tester (I know that sounds odd beta-beta..but there WAS 2 beta, Westwood was based in Vegas and they had a unofficial beta run out of a arcane we all used to haunt :P) They told me that there was indeed a factional randomizer factored into it..wouldn't tell me how. About 2 months before the sunset it was once again confirmed officially (heck it was dying what did they care?) This belief and later confirmed reason was why many of your builders would set up shop in N7, everyone could with a little fast mission running get good with N7. This coupled with the fact that a vast majority of all vendor parts was either there or just 1 sector jump either direction from there. (And the fact that there was a wormhole 1 sector away also for those extra far away parts) thus my toon "mattsmuleho" (all my toons had a "matt" in it) i.e. matt's mule ho :)

cool, thanks alot!

anyone have opinion on PW building all their own ammo...

seems like a drain of skill points, but save on credits.

any firsthand knowledge?

As you get high level credits became not so much a worry..lol what you was killing was selling either to other players or to vendors for good income. You also got a unannounced break in the price of stuff, sort of a "negotiate" skill of your own when you got faction in good with station owners..you couldn't beat what the TT/TE got but at high level it was negligable difference.

Note that your PW if he does build also can learn WEAPONS not just ammo..but the ammo is the most important..why? because of quality/quantity. As ammo was vendor or player made..the player made could be a higher quality...sometimes just a few hp diff. per round but later on huge difference. As a projectile user they had the highest R.ound P.er M.inute(RPM) thus the stacks had more rounds..ea round just a few hp diff. really added up to DPS! A PW final hull had more weap slots than anyone else..fill those all with guns tossing hot plasma approx.every sec +12 hp per..you can see how that would add up to DPS!

No PW worth his salt would use vendor ammo for anything other than a low level farm.

So like you said..that kind of eats into the skill points..yes EARLY on it does..but there where some skills later on that was such a joke that you won't want to "waste" points on them and you can trade them..SELF DESTRUCT comes to mind right off the bat. Until you have points to "waste" don't spend them on that goldenturd skill :D..another skill..the shield nova..early in live it was totally worth the effort to get it..but they nerfed it down so much midlive that it was kind of a joke...it became only good to faction level/kill.

On a side note: Don't skimp on gravlink! It may SEEM like it don't have much to offer..but it has a unannounced mob debuff. It not only slows things down (both from them escaping and so you can "kite" them) but it also takes away their dodge ratio. I.E. fewer of your shots miss..this played a huge difference at high level when grouped for bosses. For players in the know the TE/TT wanted a progen with gravlink in group...it made thier missles do huge difference in DPS.

• 5 months later...

I remember my Father playing in Live. He was an excellent builder. One of the few who had a few level 9 Oguns at max quality... with patterns meant to reproduce it. From what he told me, the higher quality you have on the pattern, the better your odds have at a higher quality once built. His strategy was to repeatedly create an item, then analyze any item that was a higher quality than the pattern in an attempt at a higher quality pattern. Once he had a pattern at max Quality, which was time consuming and expensive, he began making equipment to sell to other players. At least that is what he told me. No idea if it was true, but I did witness the equipment on his ship... it was perfect... and he made it all XD... I should get him to play on these servers again ;)

*Edit* He also had great shields, engines, and reactors too... he kept talking about tons of level 9's at 300%, and that 300% was quality cap... some trial and error is needed XD

Edited by Dialupman

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...