Vegetarians

So, if I have this straight, you were insulted and abused by a bunch of mean meat eaters and you're now offering a gesture of peace to make up for said insults and abuse which you received. I'm sure that will win them over.

I'll pass on that hummus and tofu, but can you pass the dubie please? ;)

Me, I totally don't get why anyone would want to pass up a nice big hunk'a char-burnt pork, slathered in a delish BBQ sauce to boot, but hey, if it keeps you healthy, sane, and satisfied, go for it, I say.

...But for those of y'all who pass on the meat, well... that's all the more for the rest of us non-obligate carnivores. ;)

Me, I totally don't get why anyone would want to pass up a nice big hunk'a char-burnt pork, slathered in a delish BBQ sauce to boot, but hey, if it keeps you healthy, sane, and satisfied, go for it, I say.

...But for those of y'all who pass on the meat, well... that's all the more for the rest of us non-obligate carnivores. :D

The only pork sausage you get to bite is attached to someone

And by the looks of it Mneme, you do a lot more with vegetables than eat them

Maybe an off-topic and political section would be good for these subjects?

SRSly, though. I used to be vegetarian. Still ate fish, eggs, dairy, all that stuff. Did it for environmental reasons, not moral. I just like flesh >:] Did it for about 6 years, then gradually added meat back in. It's perfectly fine to eat meat: biblically, health-wise, morally, economically. [almost] Everything in moderation. Sure, environmentally some things the food-animal agriculture industry does are not the greatest, but coming from a guy who's had family working in agriculture - if anyone wants food with 0 environmental impact, you're goin' hungry, nutjob. :D The environment and the earth are perfectly capable of handling food production, despite the shock-value statistics you hear about the production of 1 pound of beef taking enough water to float a destroyer... so what? Everything uses water. People drink way more water than that in the process of working out and dieting fads for months just trying to LOSE 1 pound of flesh, heh.

Anyways, eat veggies because you want them. Eat meat because you want it. It's food. Just eat healthily. Food pyramid and all that.

I can empathise with vegetarians, some even look healthy if they educate themselves on food groups and nutrition - however vegans are another matter ... I was at a company lunch a few years back, there was one guy who's a vegan, the chef came right up to him immediately and asked if he was the vegan ... they aren't difficult to spot as they're the gaunt unhealthy looking person in most groups.

Also I don't really understand ethically why you would go vegan anyway - I understand the ethics for being vegetarian - but vegans ... seems more like an eating disorder to me.

Its a certain group of "wannabe" PC ppl who are uneducated on the simple fact that us as humans are at top of the food chain.

Your right though tien you can notice em they always make a big seen also the old "look at me im special" bit.So in conclusion i view em as ppl who lacked attention as a kid or misguided who knows.

Humans don't require any great quantity of meat--certainly not on the level the average American eats--and excess of meat is not healthy. Contrary to popular belief, lactovegetarians on any sort of balanced diet get plenty of proteins and Bs and all the other things people think vegetarians can't get. Vegans... let's just say they have to work a lot harder and they're usually not very good at it.

I don't spend my time preaching at other people they shouldn't eat meat--though I could give a number of reasons why I think it's a good idea--but nevertheless I constantly have to deal with belligerent people who seem to think I just insulted their mother by not eating cow. :P The way I look at it is this: killing another living thing to survive is necessary and cannot be immoral, however, the more complex a creature one decides to kill the more suffering to that creature results. Some people draw their ethical boundary at killing and eating people, some at cats and dogs, some at cows, some at fish, and some at plants. My boundary is somewhere between fish and invertebrates, and varies. I don't find other people's decision to draw the line at cows to be immoral particularly, and while I do feel there are reasons why that's unwise, I don't berate people over it and PETA seriously pisses me off as much as it would anyone else. For myself, I am trying to get myself switched over to the Gandhi diet, but it'll probably be awhile before I finally get it done.

Yes, humans and other primates can eat meat--as a supplement to a vegetarian diet. We're hardly carnivores, and our place on the food chain is irrelevant--we can easily kill and eat chimpanzees if we so desire but I would hope most people would be uneasy doing so. Also, while animals do indeed kill and eat each other, you will notice that the prey animals do everything in their power to avoid it because being dismembered and devoured f***ing sucks! :P

I do have a certain issue with the "it's just a dumb animal" crowd who just doesn't give a damn if another creature is in pain or killed. And I definitely object to farms who keep animals in conditions where they suffer even more than is necessary before they are killed. Even the lowliest of living things deserve more respect than that. If one treated a cat like some farms treat cows--or worse, chickens--one would be imprisoned.

*shrug*

As for anyone who thinks one is only vegetarian to be PC... let's just say I make no attempt to be PC around a******s like that--or around anyone in fact, as anyone who knows me is well aware. :)

-As an act of prevention-

While everyone's opinions are welcomed and are able to post their thoughts freely within this board, sometimes indivduals and their views can become subjects of scrutiny.

Therefore as an act of prevention I feel it is my duty to maintain a friendly environment within said board and make note the following Net 7 CoC Regulation as written by Net 7 Board of Directors:

Group Member Specifics>Players & Donators:

Article 4 - "You may not harass, threaten, or otherwise show belligerent behavior towards other players."

Take note as this is Not to state that anyone is harassing or are subjects of harassment within this thread. However history dictates that eventually down the road, scrutiny shows it's face. As stated previously, this is simply an act of prevention and making sure everyone is aware of their surroundings.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Ayami. :P

*mutters* This is seriously the most humorless Internet community I've ever observed... probably no one even listened to the song, which is f***ing hilarious, and pokes fun at vegetarians. :P

LOL:

Benjamin Franklin anticipated Will's point regarding "rationalizing" when Franklin notes what he himself did to animals; he describes his conversion to vegetarianism in Chapter 1 of his Autobiography, but then he describes why he (usually) ceased vegetarianism in his later life: "...in my first voyage from Boston...our people set about catching cod, and hauled up a great many. Hitherto I had stuck to my resolution of not eating animal food... But I had formerly been a great lover of fish, and, when this came hot out of the frying-pan, it smelt admirably well. I balanc'd some time between principle and inclination, till I recollected that, when the fish were opened, I saw smaller fish taken out of their stomachs; then thought I, 'If you eat one another, I don't see why we mayn't eat you.' So I din'd upon cod very heartily, and continued to eat with other people, returning only now and then occasionally to a vegetable diet. So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

And not so LOL, and responding to Ghent:

According to the USDA, growing crops for farm animals requires nearly half of the U.S. water supply and 80% of its agricultural land. Animals raised for food in the U.S. consume 90% of the soy crop, 80% of the corn crop, and 70% of its grain. In tracking food animal production from the feed through to the dinner table, the inefficiencies of meat, milk and egg production range from a 4:1 energy input to protein output ratio up to 54:1.

imo people can eat what they want... and if your gonna be a vegetarian... thats fine... but dont give me your holier than thou line of bs that you dont eat meat cuz you dont wanna see animals hurt while you are wearing your italian leather shoes, snakeskin belt and your car with leather interior...

also please at least enjoy the food you are eating... some of it looks good, but some looks gross... I just hope you didnt get trapped into it cuz of pride...

Dammit V, you never learn do you? :P

(note to mods: we've known each other for something like 7-8 years now - no worries)

Me, I like meat. In my opinion, one of the reasons we have come this far is because we could. It is MUCH easier for our bodies to get the nutrients we need from a piece of meat, as opposed to plant material, and our guts is a clear sign of the fact that we survived because we did eat meat.

(it is relatively short compared to herbivores)

Our development of cooking, import of foodstuffs etc. has made a HUGE contribution to independence on that part, but I'm still a firm believer in survival of the fittest (and yes that includes my own survival/procreation) and evolution, and I just don't think vegetarianism/veganism (sp?) fits in with that concept.

Having said that, one of my cousins is vegan as well and I wouldn't love her any less for it, but she did have to take precautions during pregnancy, which to me is another confirmation of me being right in this in terms of human biology. :P

On the other hand, the bio-industry has a terrible habit of treating animals in a seriously horrible manner, and yes, if there was a realistic way to counter that, I'd support it. Currently though, I don't view eating no meat as a viable solution, in part because so many other people don't either.

The contribution we personally make seems to fade in comparison to the amounts going to larger organizations/corporations (yes, McDonald's, I'm looking at you), so until that changes, I don't see a reason for me to stop myself from eating a nice juicy steak..

now... On-topic:

Yes, all you vegans are MURDERING veggies!

it's genocide I say! GENOCIDE! :(

...But for those of y'all who pass on the meat, well... that's all the more for the rest of us non-obligate carnivores. :(

REAL BBQ doesn't need sauce; sauce is what ppl that make BAD BBQ use to cover up their mistakes. Remember, too, that BBQ is a noun and not a verb.

Its a certain group of "wannabe" PC ppl who are uneducated on the simple fact that us as humans are at top of the food chain.

Your right though tien you can notice em they always make a big seen also the old "look at me im special" bit.So in conclusion i view em as ppl who lacked attention as a kid or misguided who knows.

Self-pwnt

a little fact you might know about the human teeth , they are made for eating vegies and fruits ..not meat . Look at all types animals that eat meat , they have sharpe teeth and look at animals that eat fruits,and other plant..they have flat teeth . Humans were meant to eat plants"vegies and fruits"..not meats,fish etc..

not saying theres anything wrong with eating meat and such..I DO..nothing like McD's burger on the go ;p

and theres not wrong with eating only vegs and fruits either , if thats what you like more power to you ;p

but its to healthy for me , i need my grease burger to LIVE lol