Out of curiosity, What are you doing to kill the time during this down time?

On 4/5/2023 at 3:21 PM, Stoop said:

I've recently picked up No Man's Sky.  I've debated for over a month mentioning it here because I don't want to detract from the hard work that Kyp and every other DEV past and present have been putting into this game (Live and Emu), but in my personal opinion NMS is everything E&B was not able to be.  From ground combat to player owned capital ships.  I've gotten so immersed in comparing the two games that I've even tried using E&B controls while playing NMS (it doesn't quite work, but I tried).  

E&B will always have a special place in my heart since it was my first MMO and the Emu Staff for bringing it back, but I honestly don't know if I'll be coming back

Thank you to the Staff and to all the players even for being such a wonderful community

Care to give a brief overview of the game? I've thought about picking it up also, but it seems a lot more mine-crafty than space battle-y.  

On 4/11/2023 at 10:24 AM, Ghostbane said:

Care to give a brief overview of the game? I've thought about picking it up also, but it seems a lot more mine-crafty than space battle-y.  

well, I'll be as brief as I can, but...

you start off planetbound, next to a crashed ship with no memories.  Tutorial helps you get the ship repaired and flying again.  In various places on most planets (I would say all, but I have not been to all planets to confirm this) there are Knowledge Stones which help you learn words of whatever dialect is dominant in that system.  This would probably be a good time to mention there are 3 main races, Vy'keen a warrior race, Korvax a synthetic lifeform predominantly interested in science, and Gek short traders.  The player can choose their appearance, but are an anomaly, you can BE one of these three races but it doesn't help with learning the language or reputation or you can accept your anomalous status and just walk around in a spacesuit all the time.

you are equipped with an exosuit and a multi-tool, both can be upgraded.  The exosuit can have shields installed that protect against various hazards (heat, cold, radiation, toxicity, etc) as well as translators (though in my limited game time I've not seen these come into effect) or other life support.  the multi-tool is exactly as it sounds, it acts as a beam or projectile weapon that also mines resources from plants, animals or mineral formations.  With the right upgrades the multi tool can be given an analysis visor (personally I would have made that an exosuit upgrade, but I'm not on the design team) which allows you to scan plants, animals, and mineral formations into your logbook, it can also manipulate the terrain around you allowing you to dig tunnels if you so desire. 

there is a race of artificial lifeforms known as Sentinals who act as the old west sheriff that doesn't tell you the laws but will shoot you if you break one.  These have been my main enemy so far.  I have fought on the ground with my multi-tool and in space with my ship (in space there are also pirates).  If I had one complaint about space battles is while flying around a frigate killing pirates if one errant shot hits the frigate you get lumped in with the pirates and the Sentinals are called in to take you out so you end up fighting even more enemies 

I only picked the game up about a month ago and haven't had that many hours available to play it, but I certainly wouldn't compare it to Minecraft.  Literally thousands of solar systems, an explorer's dream and nightmare come true

20230404173440_1.jpg

19 hours ago, Stoop said:

well, I'll be as brief as I can, but...

you start off planetbound, next to a crashed ship with no memories.  Tutorial helps you get the ship repaired and flying again.  In various places on most planets (I would say all, but I have not been to all planets to confirm this) there are Knowledge Stones which help you learn words of whatever dialect is dominant in that system.  This would probably be a good time to mention there are 3 main races, Vy'keen a warrior race, Korvax a synthetic lifeform predominantly interested in science, and Gek short traders.  The player can choose their appearance, but are an anomaly, you can BE one of these three races but it doesn't help with learning the language or reputation or you can accept your anomalous status and just walk around in a spacesuit all the time.

you are equipped with an exosuit and a multi-tool, both can be upgraded.  The exosuit can have shields installed that protect against various hazards (heat, cold, radiation, toxicity, etc) as well as translators (though in my limited game time I've not seen these come into effect) or other life support.  the multi-tool is exactly as it sounds, it acts as a beam or projectile weapon that also mines resources from plants, animals or mineral formations.  With the right upgrades the multi tool can be given an analysis visor (personally I would have made that an exosuit upgrade, but I'm not on the design team) which allows you to scan plants, animals, and mineral formations into your logbook, it can also manipulate the terrain around you allowing you to dig tunnels if you so desire. 

there is a race of artificial lifeforms known as Sentinals who act as the old west sheriff that doesn't tell you the laws but will shoot you if you break one.  These have been my main enemy so far.  I have fought on the ground with my multi-tool and in space with my ship (in space there are also pirates).  If I had one complaint about space battles is while flying around a frigate killing pirates if one errant shot hits the frigate you get lumped in with the pirates and the Sentinals are called in to take you out so you end up fighting even more enemies 

I only picked the game up about a month ago and haven't had that many hours available to play it, but I certainly wouldn't compare it to Minecraft.  Literally thousands of solar systems, an explorer's dream and nightmare come true

20230404173440_1.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to write that out for me, I appreciate it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't actually know there was a downtime until a week or so ago, but before then I was killing time with Star Citizen and Warframe. Still play both, have simply added E&B back to the mix since the server got brought back up.