Is the eandb_demo.exe file completely worthless?

Window box message before running the program,

Before installing E and B.demo,you will Need to retrieve your free product key.

Upon clicking Ok you get this-

http://www.fileplanet.com/betas/eandb.aspx

Application not found.

Then the installation stops.

My question,why is a worthless file provided? As the installation instruction's assume that you can use it to install the demo. 

How has anyone used this file to install the game?

Edited by Pinhas
spelling

Hi Pinhas,

Firstly many thanks for registering for an account and attempting to download the Emulator of Earth and Beyond and install it, the download is working and the file is valid ONLY if the Net-7 Unified Installer is installed after and you run its client launcher link. If you just run the eandb_demo.exe only you will be prompted for a product key as this was WestWoods's/EA's demo file with wich the EMU has been built around, DO NOT USE THIS TO LAUCH THE GAME!

Assuming you have 2 files downloaded (enbdemo.exe and Net-7_Install.exe) run both and then follow the instructions below:

What should be used is the client launcher which is instaled as part of the  Net-7 Unified Installer install, this will create several files and folders in which you will fine these two files:

Typiclly installed into the following but may vary if you chose to install in a different location.

Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\E&BConfig.exe <--- use this prior to launching the game to set yoru screen resolution initially

Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Net-7\bin\LaunchNet7.exe <--- this is the Client launcher file

Please note that the propeties of both the above listed files should be set to run as Administrator and the compatability set to Windows XP SP2 or 3

these can be set by right clicking the files and selecting "Properties" and then selecting the "Compatability" tab.Once these have been set use

C:\Program Files (x86)\Net-7\bin\LaunchNet7.exe to launch the game it will launch the client lancher and will see something like that shown below

From here the game should start and you login with your Game account details that you created on the Net-7 site for your 1st GAME Account not you Forum Account. Make sure all the the check boxes are checked as shown below in the attached picture.

Should you have further issues please contact us either in the Forum here or submit a GM-Support ticket (created from the link on the top of the Forum next to the Browse option.)

All the best,

Yeti[GM]

EnBLauncher.png

4 hours ago, Yeti said:

Hi Pinhas,

Firstly many thanks for registering for an account and attempting to download the Emulator of Earth and Beyond and install it, the download is working and the file is valid ONLY if the Net-7 Unified Installer is installed after and you run its client launcher link. If you just run the eandb_demo.exe only you will be prompted for a product key as this was WestWoods's/EA's demo file with wich the EMU has been built around, DO NOT USE THIS TO LAUCH THE GAME!

Assuming you have 2 files downloaded (enbdemo.exe and Net-7_Install.exe) run both and then follow the instructions below:

Hi Yeti,  

The file eandbdemo.exe will not run,there is no way to install it .

See first post.

4 hours ago, Yeti said:

Hi Pinhas,

May I enquire as to which browser you are using? I use Firefox and the download works fine and the file is not corrupt, I've also just tested it on MS-Edge browser and the files fine. If a pop-up comes from file-planet just ignore and close it do not accept it its an old EA thing, the file should download right after that.

All the best,

Yeti[GM]

8 hours ago, Yeti said:

Hi Pinhas,

May I enquire as to which browser you are using? I use Firefox and the download works fine and the file is not corrupt, I've also just tested it on MS-Edge browser and the files fine. If a pop-up comes from file-planet just ignore and close it do not accept it its an old EA thing, the file should download right after that.

All the best,

Yeti[GM]

Yea its game over for me unless the demo CD I have coming in the mail works. I usually use AVAST secure browser,but I did try it with Firefox,its the same story. The file requires it to touch base with fileplanet.  There is no way to ignore that.  Avast flags the download as well as its not secure. It reccomends that I don't download it at all.

Avast does not like EnB and considers it a hazard,  during the game install it does touch base with File planet,  when it does that all you have to do is wait a couple of secnds and close the browser window and the install will continue until it has completed.

7 minutes ago, Woodstock HGM said:

Avast does not like EnB and considers it a hazard,  during the game install it does touch base with File planet,  when it does that all you have to do is wait a couple of secnds and close the browser window and the install will continue until it has completed.

How can the demo touch base with something that is not there anymore?    I've tried over and over,its not going to work,see first post in this thread. That happens every time.

Hopefully the CD demo will bypass all of this foolishness.

the Demo is the original EA/.Westwood install disk image,  back in the original live  2000 to 2004  when you installed the demo it would go to file planet to verify the image coded was valid  and then once confirmed it would continued the install,  since EA discontinued support and shut down EnB in 2004  all file planet does is say yeah go ahead,  Per agreement with EnB  we can not change this or make any changes to the actual Game core or Game engine, Since this game is over 20 years old  the graphics and Game play are not to the holding level of more current games, and while you can play solo,  the games original intent was for group play with the different players and professions each bringing something different to the group.  

if you follow the install procedures that are listed here in the forums and also in the FAQ's on the Net-7.org (portal page) the game does install very smoothly and quickly, once install you will need to install the Net-7 launcher, as the EA launcher bundled with the game WIL NOT WORK, it points to the old EA server, You must run the Net-7 Launcher to start playing the Game,   on you initial run it will run updates for the net-7 launcher  once that's completed just follow the onscreen prompts to update the EnB client,  once that is done, it will take a while ,  you can run the game..

Calling something foolish and worthless when it has worked for the masses but doesn't work for you, specially when people are trying to help isn't a great start.

So lets replicate what you are claiming on a fresh Windows 10 22H2 install.

Running the executable (click Yes)

1.jpg.a81ca72fa252b1b72056b4dd3ef3587d.jpg

2.jpg.e83bd99239a17ce9d84e073930aac7b9.jpg

After this initialization, you will be presented with the following:

3.jpg.c5c400a7683922040a4e90b877091094.jpg

At this point simply press the big OK button in the middle. A browser page will open to Fileplanet, literally close it down immediately as you don't need anything from it.

Extraction of install files will then commence.

4.jpg.a9ff5da6c5d6fe252077891e42ce56fe.jpg

Followed by a usual installation sequence, recommend installing in default directory.

5.jpg.afa88692043a5686ba517b05cd666723.jpg

6.jpg.f48d7dd2bd40381fc0653635a2cffc04.jpg

Recommend no placing shortcut on desktop as it is not used.

From this point run the Net7 installer as mentioned. This will then patch the client and install the software required to run the game. However there is some configuration advised prior to launched which Yeti has covered above.

This is not a definitive cover-all-aspects guide to install, as this covers what would be considered a normal sequence of installation process. If you still fail to install then provide more information about your computer configuration, or as you say wait for the installer CDRoms that you have ordered, even though this shouldn't have been at all necessary to do.

-FFT

• Like 1

Pinhas...

Is it possible that your anti-virus program is automatically deleting one or more files from inside the download, and that is why it is having trouble finishing the installation? The installation will attempt to contact FP regardless, this might just appear to be what your bottleneck is.

Have you attempted to disable your anti-virus while downloading and then installing? Just because the program is flagging it as dangerous, doesn't mean it is.

Edited by -ViTaMiHnM203-

Avast -- which I also use, incidentally -- defaults to distrusting unsigned applications. This is the only reason it's flagging it, it categorizes such as PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs). If you feel like it's getting in the way just set it to ignore all of the E&B paths. We don't code sign the executables because it would be extra charges to maintain a public certificate for code signing for no useful benefit other than calming down overzealous virus protection.

• 1 month later...

I just went through something similar with Bitdefender where it kept blocking the client.exe update. Putting in a temporary exception for launchnet7.exe and patch.net-7.org fixed it for me. I'd recommend checking your security software logs and either unblock or add an exception for the game files or download sites that it is flagging as malicious.

Edited by Bwnz

When you download and install the game (the EnB Demo File is good, I just used it)  when it stops and opens the browser to file planet, let it sit for a moment or two then close the browser and the install will continue with out any issues,