Getting new players?

How can we get new players into the game? I have tried so many times on game site that talk about emulators and see a lot of people saying how much they miss this game. I tell them about this one and even include a link how to get here. When i first started playing the game would hit close to 200 players online. Now we are lucky to see 40 people. What can we do without getting the game in trouble?

Yeah, something that has been trotting across my mind too. We used to be upwards into the 600's or so I think. But yeah. People have either died or went on to other things. One thing that would be very nice is if we could get the tutorial up and going. But I know that'll take a lot of doing.

• 2 weeks later...

New here! Well, mostly. I think I had a... what, maybe a JE? during the first run's beta and then got pulled away from MMOs for years so never played it properly. I just discovered this existed yesterday and I'm tickled pink. If only there was also a functional WildStar fan server.

Welcome back ?

It a pretty niche game and it can be tough to fall in love with. The leveling, lack of players, and setting up the emu are all detriments. Probably the toughest thing is grouping with other players. Most long term players multi-box and/or are in guilds.....so it can be tough for new players to experience the fun parts of the game.....playing with others.  Its also tough that you cant really group with others when they are more than 50 OL difference. Sure, that's not that diff from any MMO but when you already have a very small number of players holding on to new ones it critical.

What could be done:

1. Login messages/net-7 client update posts for group events, tours, raids, community 'stuff'.
  2. Guild recruitment
  3. Setup some sort of message board/forum section for new players/existing players to group up and do stuff.
  • "I want to raid the RD base, lets pick a date/time"
  • "I need a tour"
  • "Can anyone help with getting a......."
  • "Looking to group level from 10-50"
  • etc.
Edited by jrichards

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/7/2022 at 10:14 PM, jrichards said:

Thanks Exo, I added a link to net-7.org on there.

Good one, JR!

I just popped over and gave it a 5-hugs rating...  only us 2 so far.. If anyone else is reading this post, support ENB's rating on that site and add a hug, please! It looks like you don't have to log in.. just go to https://oldgamesdownload.com/earth-beyond/ and click on a heart icon!

Am wondering if there's a sub-reddit for old games... I haven't logged in there for ages, but perhaps another avenue for raising awareness..

There's a few things you could do. . .
Try posting on Enb Reddit about the emulator project, though it may not get much traction as there hasn't been a post on 2 years, could also try posting on Spacesimgames.

Make sure to keep the Facebook updated or make a Twitter site that has detailed updates for people to follow about the game.

See if you can get streamers to stream the game on Twitch with details on how players can join the server.

Make a Discord page for everyone to join, meet up, create events and or just get together.

Edited by virpyre

I got back in the game because of a Youtube post. That was two years ago. If anyone has Youtube posting skills, a short vid on parts every month or so to keep it in view might be a big help.

• 1 month later...

I play an MMO called Istaria about once year for a few months, this is because they send out an email, detailing the state of the game and upcoming development focus. It's not the changes to the game that drags me back.. its remembering the fun of playing it back in 2003.  

If you goto the main root page of the forums then scroll down to the bottom of the screen, you see there are 36k members of the forum. Why not do a mail shot once a quarter.. I'm guessing alot of these are people who signed up years ago in the early days of the project and either forgot to check back or forgot about the game.

The game is now, so stable and so much fun.. I'm having a ball on my new PS.

Hats off to the dev's they have done a fantastic job and people who forgotten or gave up in the early years might be interested to know that all is good, come and join the fun. 

• 2 weeks later...

concerning twitch;

the Earth and Beyond channel has 87 followers... 

i was thinking, next single character raid, i might record or stream with Nvidia shadowplay and see if that works.

seems plausible not all of those 87 followers are actually playing on the server. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TempestNWK said:

concerning twitch;

the Earth and Beyond channel has 87 followers... 

i was thinking, next single character raid, i might record or stream with Nvidia shadowplay and see if that works.

seems plausible not all of those 87 followers are actually playing on the server. 

I would love to watch this!

Even though I have played E&B for ages.. I'm very much an alt-acholic and don't get very far, then when I come back I delete and start again.. so I have never seen a raid.

2 hours ago, twoshrubs said:

I would love to watch this!

Even though I have played E&B for ages.. I'm very much an alt-acholic and don't get very far, then when I come back I delete and start again.. so I have never seen a raid.

the appeal of starting a fresh character is ever present across many games i think, it is, imho, also a more viable strategy for long-term enjoyment of the game instead of racing through the finish, getting everything you want, and then burning yourself out. the social/guild aspect plays a role, but that will only take you so far as to keeping yourself invested in the game.

the only real concern with twitch is the aspect ratio, might be better to go full vanilla and fullscreen in 4:3 ? , most of us will have gotten used to the "stretched" look, but might look weird to an "outsider".   

Edited by TempestNWK

1 hour ago, TempestNWK said:

the only real concern with twitch is the aspect ratio, might be better to go full vanilla and fullscreen in 4:3 ? , most of us will have gotten used to the "stretched" look, but might look weird to an "outsider".   

I never realised it was stretched... I know I have it set on window mode, at a lower resolution than my screen (overwise its too big) and then I run it through an app called boarderless gaming to remove the window boarder.

I have started mentioned E&B where I can in the MMORPG group in reddit.. hopefully it helps, been a few people say they didn't know the emulator existed.