Don't Know what to Do!

I download net7.exe and the Demo that's 1.1 gig large and it almost gets to a full install on the demo then I get error 1628 , I've done this on 3 diff computers windows 11 , windows 10. and windows 7 and on all three i get the same error , Is something wrong on my end or is it the down load itself ? I wait for your supreme wisdom Woody.

Actually the downloads are outside my control. the only thing i can say try again,  or if you played in the original live and still have your original installation disks try those. the original disks work.  also I goggled your error code try deleting the ENB directory. Then restarting  and  reinstalling the EnB game.

I'll down load a desktop picture capture thig and try that but i can D/L from other sites and i don't have any problems except when I try at Net 7.

Anyway it says exactly this: (1628 setup failed to complete)

I can download the client or use my disc's and its all the same and it wont let me get an install on any computer, and I have 4  with windows XP, windows 7, windows 10 and windows 11, they all say the same thing, ( 1628bsetup failed to complete ) i've ran every malware and virus scanner known to man and all come back as clean. i can download other software and set it up with no problem but the client wont do an install, so i/m baffled.

Try this (assuming the version of Windows is genuine):

Stop the Windows Installer service and ensure it remains disabled (don't forget to turn it back on after testing):

Navigate to this path on the computer(s):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files (or equivalent)

Look for an InstallShield folder. Rename this to something like InstallShield 1

Reboot the computer and bring up the Windows Installer service. Try again and see if it repeats.

1628 is an error from the installshield installer saying the script setup failed to complete so it's either corruption in your local installshield files or a corrupt installation file.

if that doesn't do it you might also consider running an elevated command prompt i.e. So it says "Administrator: " at the front of the cmd window title bar and then running:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This should cause it to check with your local component store and then MS to return you to the correct value for most/all system files for Windows with your installed version.

On 11/21/2021 at 3:32 PM, Kyp said:

ok Kyp and Woodstock thanks for all u guys help but I think we have tried it all, and all my windows disc's are  genuine from windows 101 to windows 11 but nothing is working, but for the life of me why is the same thing happening on 3 diff laptops and 1 desktop  I'ts got me stumped. Thank you guys for all your time and work, maybe one day it'll get worked out, but for now i'll do something else. Thank you again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to make sure, you are not running this on VM ware or an  emulator right?

NOTE: There are a large number of reasons a program will generate a '1628 setup failed to complete' error. I recommend checking online and trying a few of them (make sure to make a system restore point before making any registry changes.

Make sure to have .net framework 3.5 installed. This is required by a lot of older games but Windows very rarely installs it/updates it. I would also check your windows installed options in install/uninstall (programs and features). I would only try installing the game on Windows 7 or Windows 10. Windows 10 you will have to allow your firewall to allow the game to connect to the server, which can be a pain, but a lot of players know about workarounds for Win10 issues.

I would recommend installing to a drive that is not the C drive as, depending on your version of windows, the OS might not like. Forget about Net-7 until you get the EnB client installed. There are a number of guides on the forums with step by step guides.

Edited by jrichards

• 1 year later...

works good in windows 11  I have  playing EnB  here since Win 11 came out  not problems,  Just install it like the Instructions provided in the forums and the FAQ's on the Net-7.org (portal page)  and yes  net frame work 3.5,  it should update on a win 11 update,

• Like 1