Poll: Would you come back to Team Speak if?

Lars

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you come back to Team Speak if they re-setup TS 2 server and made it a player only server?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Hello, well asking this is problie going to get me in hot water yet once again, but it is something that has bugged me for awhile now. Ever since they went to TS 3 and dropped TS 2 I have noticed that not many "Players" come on TS anymore. When TS 2 was up you would see many players come and go all the time, but from someone that is almost always on TS, not that many players log in any more. Also, since the ratio from player to dev/gm/beta is about 5 to one, I feel alot of players are not comfertable there any more. Since all the devs/gm/betas (Who I like 98% of them) have channel & server statics and can boot anyone off at the drop of a hat, it is a case of to many chiefs and not enough indians. I feel players should have some kind of freedom to share opions and views on the game without worrying if they say the wrong thing they will get booted. Case in point, there was a young "Lady" yes is said Lady on TS the other night and about 4 or 5 of us were there just chatting and in the middle of our chat a GM came in and over heard her say " I do not have a problem with Gay people" and then booted her because he didn't like her to use the word Gay. When he was asked why he did that he said because he could and then logged into another channel! No wonder no one comes on that often anymore. Anyway, I just wanted to take a poll to see if they put TS 2 back up and made it a mostly players based server and since most of us are adults, would most of you please come back to Team Speak. Thank you! TTYL :-)

Lars

it's probably a combination of us not having the teamspeak bar to automatically log people in and the switch to TS3. The DEVs have always been present in TS and have always had the power to boot at will. This fact has never really scared players before. Besides, a lot of the time the DEVs and GMs are in different channels talking with other DEVs and GMs, not policing the players.

the example you gave did seem like the GM was out of line, but think about this as well. We have had a good amount of complaints about players on TS being racist, offensive, vulgar or mean. I'm not saying these words describe all the players on TS, but looking at this makes it seem like TS is not overpoliced by GMs and DEVs. Since the GMs and DEVs don't seem to be causing these complaints and seem to help prevent situations where complaints like this may appear, I feel having an official teamspeak that is player only would not be wise. I understand things may be a little tense on TS with the kickings, but I think the GMs and DEVs are just a little on edge by the complaints.

When I began participating in ST3, I tried out TS3, logged in, and was told my voice sounded like a transformer... after that anything I said in channel was replied to with a statement such as "you really need to fix your voice" or similar.

When you are beta testing a piece of MMO software like EnB Emulator, the players do not need to also have to beta test a voice client. TS2 works good, so does Vent. Stick with what works and choose one.

The point of the ENB Emulator test server is to stress test ENB Emulator, not test TS3.

:)

i havent had any problems with any of the voicechat programs

what i see is not alot of participation.

i have seen an occasion where some baffoon logs in to the room and

starts playing rap musicwith an open mic. totally hogs the whole channel.

im useing ts3 now and not had any issue with sound quality.

ive used vent in another mmo and it worked just as well.

just my 2 creds

peace

it's probably a combination of us not having the teamspeak bar to automatically log people in and the switch to TS3. The DEVs have always been present in TS and have always had the power to boot at will. This fact has never really scared players before. Besides, a lot of the time the DEVs and GMs are in different channels talking with other DEVs and GMs, not policing the players.

the example you gave did seem like the GM was out of line, but think about this as well. We have had a good amount of complaints about players on TS being racist, offensive, vulgar or mean. I'm not saying these words describe all the players on TS, but looking at this makes it seem like TS is not overpoliced by GMs and DEVs. Since the GMs and DEVs don't seem to be causing these complaints and seem to help prevent situations where complaints like this may appear, I feel having an official teamspeak that is player only would not be wise. I understand things may be a little tense on TS with the kickings, but I think the GMs and DEVs are just a little on edge by the complaints.

Solution: place a disclaimer on the server warning players that it is not policed by the devs and that players enter with that understanding, and that the devs' responsibility lies with the game, not with the servers. (Maybe an added note that obvious abuse will draw the devs' attention.)

The mentality of "[censored] it, I'm gonna get banned anyway if I slip" doesn't do well to encourage players to behave better.

Also, I just edited this very post as you see above when the intelligent solution to panty-bunching would be to turn on the bloody profanity filter practically all forum software has by default...?! :)

I too have logged on to the TS3 server and found very few players there. I hate typing so TS is a blessing imo. My bud feels TS3 causes problems with the EMU so we went back to the TS2 server. Sound there was a problem until we changed the speedex to 16.3. It cleared up right away. We usually create a room so as not to clog up the main channel. Recently I've been surprised to find some Devs logged on to the TS2 server. When I logged in one of them asked another who the hell I was. I quickly created my room and moved so as not to interfere with whatever they were doing and avoid being kicked. Before I left SWG and returned to this EMU they had integrated voice chat with private, guild, race and general channels. It would be great if that could happen here but we can live with TS.

Despite people always encouraging me to join "vent" when I played WOW..and me never doing so..I noticed a snobbery effect that if you didn't vent you was out of the group for whatever...assuming in the process that I didn't know the fight..or could bring expertice to the dynamic. Now everyone is saying "join TS2 or TS3" and if you don't some (to their credit..NOT most) don't want to group with you, the same snobbery.

First of all I live in a apartment..with a neighbor to each side and above. With my play times being what they are, I'm real confident they don't want themselves or loved ones to be jarred from a sweet dream with: "KILL IT" or "HEAL PLEASE..HEAL.....CRAP XP DEBT!" or even "DING!" :) While I could speak softly, I've been told that my bass voice tends to cut through walls (family) and if I should get worked up and forget to speak softly, I can have one of those parade ground voices..lol.

So I guess my vote is no by default..and in my instance it don't matter how ts 2,3 vent or any such are set up. The only instance I can see myself using a voice chat utility is if its linked to in game chat as a option AND I'm playing at a time that it is safe to be rowdy.

Server wide vent seems odd to use.

Guild/group vent is nice, especially for the person that is driving a formation.

Group member 1: "What's the strat for this mob?"

Group driver: "QQQQQQQQqqqqqqqaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

/you have been incapacitated

Despite people always encouraging me to join "vent" when I played WOW..and me never doing so..I noticed a snobbery effect that if you didn't vent you was out of the group for whatever...assuming in the process that I didn't know the fight..or could bring expertice to the dynamic. Now everyone is saying "join TS2 or TS3" and if you don't some (to their credit..NOT most) don't want to group with you, the same snobbery.

First of all I live in a apartment..with a neighbor to each side and above. With my play times being what they are, I'm real confident they don't want themselves or loved ones to be jarred from a sweet dream with: "KILL IT" or "HEAL PLEASE..HEAL.....CRAP XP DEBT!" or even "DING!" :P While I could speak softly, I've been told that my bass voice tends to cut through walls (family) and if I should get worked up and forget to speak softly, I can have one of those parade ground voices..lol.

So I guess my vote is no by default..and in my instance it don't matter how ts 2,3 vent or any such are set up. The only instance I can see myself using a voice chat utility is if its linked to in game chat as a option AND I'm playing at a time that it is safe to be rowdy.

/signed... one of my main reasons for not joining vent is people hate you just as much when you dont have a mic... I cant even remember the last time I played enb with the volume on anyway... my wife has max level detect video game noise and at her CL... I dont care what your shields and hull are... its just insta-gib...

funny thing though... a few weeks ago, I was afk bio and my son jumped on my pc for a min(I play windowed) and he turned the vol on... not realizing that he did that, I come back and click on dewinter... then all of a sudden I hear a womans voice and I am looking around my house like who the hell is here... well that easily activated my wifes detect video game noise skill... and I was alt-f4 and out :)

/signed... one of my main reasons for not joining vent is people hate you just as much when you dont have a mic... I cant even remember the last time I played enb with the volume on anyway... my wife has max level detect video game noise and at her CL... I dont care what your shields and hull are... its just insta-gib...

funny thing though... a few weeks ago, I was afk bio and my son jumped on my pc for a min(I play windowed) and he turned the vol on... not realizing that he did that, I come back and click on dewinter... then all of a sudden I hear a womans voice and I am looking around my house like who the hell is here... well that easily activated my wifes detect video game noise skill... and I was alt-f4 and out :ph34r:

/signed... Mostly my situation word for word, except the last part. If I can't be in a group/guild without a mic. I will go solo. It's not worth messing with the wife faction for the few moments of game play I get each day.

I understand that most hate to type, but if you look at the chat channels in many if not all of the on-line games there are a ton of messages flying back and forth, So not everyone who teams HAS to use vent or TS. Or maybe they do. B)

I personally don't like to use voice chats playing video games because it helps me keep a distance. I need to be able to /quit out of the game at anytime (because its a game, it shouldn't take priority over anything, for me atleast). Its already hard enough with the groups and guilds and meetup arrangements you do over text-chat, and it becomes much harder(to just up and leave) when you're having actual voice conversations. I find text-chatting to be an indispensable part of my gaming experience. But that's assuming that you wanna keep a game at the level of 'just' a game, even if it is a MMO.

And, as Avani also commented, I've tried the no-microphone logins enough times to know that it doesn't fly too well.. people get offended (maybe rightly so) , so the best solution for me is just to stay away from voice chat.

So in short, probably would not be joining team speak servers any time soon.

I personally don't like to use voice chats playing video games because it helps me keep a distance. I need to be able to /quit out of the game at anytime (because its a game, it should take priority over anything, for me atleast). Its already hard enough with the groups and guilds and meetup arrangements you do over text-chat, and it becomes much harder(to just up and leave) when you're having actual voice conversations. I find text-chatting to be an indispensable part of my gaming experience. But that's assuming that you wanna keep a game at the level of 'just' a game, even if it is a MMO.

And, as Avani also commented, I've tried the no-microphone logins enough times to know that it doesn't fly to well.. people get offended (maybe rightly so) , so the best solution for me is just to stay away from voice chat.

+1

I personally don't like to use voice chats playing video games because it helps me keep a distance. I need to be able to /quit out of the game at anytime (because its a game, it shouldn't take priority over anything, for me atleast). Its already hard enough with the groups and guilds and meetup arrangements you do over text-chat, and it becomes much harder(to just up and leave) when you're having actual voice conversations. I find text-chatting to be an indispensable part of my gaming experience. But that's assuming that you wanna keep a game at the level of 'just' a game, even if it is a MMO.

And, as Avani also commented, I've tried the no-microphone logins enough times to know that it doesn't fly too well.. people get offended (maybe rightly so) , so the best solution for me is just to stay away from voice chat.

+1 ditto

I just don't want to install 1 more piece of software on an old system that's already slow and bloated. When TS2 changed to TS3 I basically said Screw It, fine, and quit logging on. I don't currently see any added value in TS anyways, due to player & dev cliques, and mostly silence, or ... 1 particular person... talking to himself all the time. Meh. I voted Maybe. In-game chat is quite enough.

Plus, if too many just voice chat, the in-game chat and environment of the game will be quite boring.

funny thing though... a few weeks ago, I was afk bio and my son jumped on my pc for a min(I play windowed) and he turned the vol on... not realizing that he did that, I come back and click on dewinter... then all of a sudden I hear a womans voice and I am looking around my house like who the hell is here... well that easily activated my wifes detect video game noise skill... and I was alt-f4 and out

LOL that reminds me of when I let my mom borrow my truck yrs. ago. I had left a tape of Van Halens 5150 in the tape deck and cranked. The end of side A had a long blank spot...then it auto flips to side B. The first song on side B is that song that starts with Sammy Hagar going "HEELLLOOO..BAAHHBY!" My mom says she shreaked and yanked the truck to the edge of the road looking in the back for some wierd attacker or something..she says it took her a few moments for her heart to climb down out of her throat and to notice the music :P

Without this thread becoming a 'tag' thread ... I also completely agree with irrelevant.

While there have been times I've thought I'd enjoy just being able to say what I want ... those times are few and far between.