New Player Recommendations

Hey!

I am considering starting up again. I loved the game pre sunset, but didn't get the opportunity to get far. I've dabbled in the emulator a few times, but not a ton.

My time to play would be extraordinarily limited, and I know nothing of later game play. Chances are I'll be alone for most of my play time, though if there is ways to connect with others easily (via a guild or something) would love to possibly get plugged in. It may be some time before I can begin, we have no internet where I live right now.

What's some people's favorite classes to roll with, and why? Pre sunset, I dabbled with JE, PW, and to a limited extent, TE. Never crested level 50 (if I recall correctly.)

I enjoyed both combat and exploring. I'm not as interested in min/maxing, as I doubt I'll have time to even get one character to max level.

Convince me!

The JE is one of the easiest to start with. I have several of each of the nine professions.   A easy solo player avatar can have a lot of fun in game.  I am mostly solo or a group of my own tools. Most of the time. Right now I have been playing the Terran Scout (TS) a missile capable explorer class with great speed and the nullfactor shield that helps with the radiation damage and gravity well effects when its at maximum. Which makes it a descent trader especially with a Polar Express engine. 

• Upvote 1

After browsing around for a while, and remembering a few things from about 19 years ago (I can't believe it was that long since I stopped.. I had to stop pre-sunset), I have decided on a PW for a main toon. It fits my style the most. I have found a few posts here and there for some basic guides, which have been helpful. Now that it looks like I can play with mobile data, I hope to be able to get setup in the next couple weeks. Thanks Woodstock for your contribution.

I am looking to mostly just play and enjoy the game, though I know there will be 'grinding' involved. That said, are there are handful of things that would make my life much easier / more enjoyable? Assume I know nothing.. it really has been that long. 

On 2/5/2021 at 12:14 PM, Neponde said:

After browsing around for a while, and remembering a few things from about 19 years ago (I can't believe it was that long since I stopped.. I had to stop pre-sunset), I have decided on a PW for a main toon. It fits my style the most. I have found a few posts here and there for some basic guides, which have been helpful. Now that it looks like I can play with mobile data, I hope to be able to get setup in the next couple weeks. Thanks Woodstock for your contribution.

I am looking to mostly just play and enjoy the game, though I know there will be 'grinding' involved. That said, are there are handful of things that would make my life much easier / more enjoyable? Assume I know nothing.. it really has been that long. 

highly suggest also making an explorer or trader character if you're willing to play with 2. both really compliment a PW. trader can build your equipment, has lots of cargo to hold loot/ammo and can heal you. a JE has wormholes to help you get around faster but also jump start and cloaking abilities. of course having the extra damage from a second character also helps. you can level them together so it's not like you really add to your grind just slightly more work switching between windows 

15 hours ago, Andy578 said:

highly suggest also making an explorer or trader character if you're willing to play with 2. both really compliment a PW. trader can build your equipment, has lots of cargo to hold loot/ammo and can heal you. a JE has wormholes to help you get around faster but also jump start and cloaking abilities. of course having the extra damage from a second character also helps. you can level them together so it's not like you really add to your grind just slightly more work switching between windows 

Thanks, i would love to if I could, however, i am playing from my mobile phone data, and it cannot seem to handle the latency of 2 clients. I'll do some more experimenting to see what i can do though.

On 2/1/2021 at 7:19 PM, YetiGBR1 said:

Definatley max that asap as well as the Afterburner skill !

I knew whose post this was before I even looked at the name.  LoL

Hey Yeti! you know how much I appreciate everything you have done.  

Excellent advice.

• 2 months later...
On 2/1/2021 at 7:19 PM, YetiGBR1 said:

Definatley max that asap as well as the Afterburner skill !

hey Yeti wth?  you sick?

I hope not.

• 4 weeks later...

Just do what all these lovely Gentlemen have advised and use some good common sense. Also, I bid thee a nice and warm welcome into us space faring people. May the stars forever be in your favor, and may you always fly safe.

• Upvote 1

Really enjoying my Terran Scout toon JamisaTS. Great solo class and also a good addition in group hunts. Agree with the others who say Nullfaactor and Afterburn are to be maxed as quickly as possible. One of the best things I experienced was getting the Cygni Express but it seems that mission is no longer available. ? At any rate, there are some truly awesome folks playing, enjoy! ?

Cygni express available through the terran lvl 30 hull upgrade mission, optional mission for the TS  after the TS hu Mission,  yes it is worth doing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Usual in game  people asking where the yeti is,  Glad to hear you are on the mend  talk more when you are in game .

• 2 weeks later...

the Progen Sentinel have a skill they can use on themselves and others called "Call Forward" that can respec skill points used on shills the basic skills are exempt from this skill.  it requires the recipient to have a specific device to be installed ( this device is available from  NPC Calliope Gans on Arx Spartoi in Endriago Sector of the Gallina System.  you must buy the device (non Manufacturable) for the level of the skill being call forwarded.

Reactor, Shield, Engine can not be recalled