Login and staying Connected Issues

I got shouted at and given 5 warning points for reporting this on the server status thread ? 

Sorry @Zachman I didn't purposefully break any rules was only trying to report what I believe to be a server status issue.

Edited by DaveOMac
Clarification

6 hours ago, DaveOMac said:

I got shouted at and given 5 warning points for reporting this on the server status thread ? 

Sorry @Zachman I didn't purposefully break any rules was only trying to report what I believe to be a server status issue.

you will get used to respowns like this from Zachman.

Ok what do we know so far:

1: It is affecting more than one user from more than one country.

2: It's NOT lag related as all pings and TraceRT's come back within acceptable boundries (least for me they do, can't comment on others with the same issue.)

3: It's not routing related as all routes come up clean and consistant (least for me they do, can't comment on others with the same issue.)

4: Usually within 30 seconds of logging your character in (assuming you do not get a "waiting for server" or "sever failed to respond to Sector Login error" you loose all your friends in your friends list and then can not target/interact with anything in game so have to either use /quit or kill app in the task manager, sometimes it takes a little longer lets say 5 mins.

5: We are not seeing any help/responses from our support staff, yes they could be on holiday/over worked/cannot be bothered to respond or a whole host of other reasons.

6: We as users and supporters of EnB EMU are getting more and more frustrated with the lack of response from either @Kyp , @Zackman , or any of the team on these issues.

Possible issues that could be looked at in my estimation as an Ex-server/Desktop/Comms Engineer and Manager/Director:

1: Your comms between your VM switch and your VM servers?

2: Your provider of the VM solution may have driver issues?

3: Corruption in the database of user  accounts?

There are clearly issues that need addressing otherwise any new players that we have gained and are willing to support/donate to the cause will be lost IF no action is taken.

On a side note : Happy New Year from the UK and I hope your all keeping safe.

It's now affecting 5 of my accouts!!!

Edited by YetiGBR1
typo's
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, YetiGBR1 said:

Just a Quick "Thankyou" to whoever rebooted the server over 11hours and 30 minutes ago it seems to have resolved the issues. ?

That was me, even after reading such comments:

On 12/31/2020 at 7:43 PM, Veolia said:

you will get used to respowns like this from Zachman.

and

On 1/1/2021 at 8:09 AM, YetiGBR1 said:

6: We as users and supporters of EnB EMU are getting more and more frustrated with the lack of response from either @Kyp , @Zackman , or any of the team on these issues.

After deciphering what a "respowns" is - and facing even my name being misspelled, i need to rephrase that we are NOT working here being payed employees and that we might spending our time with our families. We do not sit in front of a computer game all time.

Also know that I stopped monitoring the server thread a bit ago as you guys didn't stop chatting there - although i asked countless times to stop the chatter in that thread (i got an alert mail each time which was very annoying). That is called "cause and effect" and the server not being restarted for 11 hours now? -> just a consequence.

People need to stop complaining about the result of their own actions, esp. the attitude of a few people towards the ones pushing the buttons for you.

Just in case you missed it: Ask yourself why there is almost noone left here coding for you or adding content. Ask yourself why almost EVERYBODY of the volunteer Devs left at some point. Many of us (staff) was/were being flamed in the forums, we saw (heavy) badmouthing in the game and we were facing bold behaviour and insolence in the forums over and over again. Sooner or later almost every ex-dev was fed up of this crap and called it.

Just read your comments @Zackman I think you have mis-understood what was actually meant by:

44 minutes ago, Zackman said:

Just a Quick "Thankyou" to whoever rebooted the server over 11hours and 30 minutes ago it seems to have resolved the issues. ?

The time ref was because I was offline when it was done, yes I could have left it out but I felt it was required but not as a poke at you at all. I was/am genuinely thankfull you did what you did.

44 minutes ago, Zackman said:

I'm not sure why you have taken offence at the truth of that statement, I/we KNOW your unpaid and not employed and do all this stuff for free and I for one am very greatful for it. But the truth is usually you guys do stuff and we never know what you have done or the reasons behind it, I/we are not asking to complete breakdowns or blow by blow accounts, even a simple note to say "yes, monitored we are looking at it" of something of that sort.

As @DaveOMac put it

41 minutes ago, DaveOMac said:

I'm sorry you feel that way Zackman, genuinely thank you for resolving the issue.

These are genuine sentiments from both myself and @DaveOMac and most of those that were effected.

Edited by YetiGBR1
typo's

Zackman we all appreciate all the hard work u guys have done and is doing.

But look at it from our side of it all:

How many people have left due to no content?

Also i know a lot of "old timers" that has stopped donating due to no content.

End game has gotten really boring due to doing it over and over a "million Times"(figure of speech).

There will always be bad mouthing in games/forums.

Been on the receiving end of a lot myself.

People do love this game,

So keep it up and running and get some content going and people will return.

Yes we know u do it for free,

But in a way we pay for it via Donations.

Don't take shit on forums to your self,

People do need a place to "vent" iff u know what i mean.

Iff it get's to bad, just delete posts and give out warnings.

Don't take everyone under that same roof pls.

Anyways Happy new year to those Dev's who is still around.

Zap out

• 4 weeks later...

Ladies and Gents,

I had personal issues to deal with for the last month and a bit longer. My mother had Covid, then an internal injury that almost cost her her life right at Christmas time. So this is the reason for the lack of response from me. This is important to me, but not nearly as important as many things in my real life. If we had full salaries for doing this that would be one thing, since we do not, it is what it is we respond as and when we can. I am sorry there was an outage, even for a couple of days. There are people who are still around here that can get ahold of me if need be. Obviously they were not directly aware of the issue at hand but like Zack says if we have a monitor set up and ask for something like this to be respected and to chat elsewhere it would be helpful. 

Some of us our jobs wake us at all hours of the night and day already so to have a passion project for E&B (or anything really) also doing this sorta hurts that passion. Think about it more like this, you would not want to be dealing with that for free, would you? It's not that we don't care, its that some things are more important and require much more immediate attention and sometimes there are such circumstances. It is not a slight against you, and we want you to play but we also simply cannot be available 24x7 to make sure the game is running at all times. In a large game studio or online MMO they have shifts of people that can respond to this, here we have like 5 developers altogether and only some of those can respond to a server level issue because they don't have expertise in these areas.

While I can respect feeling put out, understand that it is not a slight to anyone. We do what we can when we can because we have our own responsibilities in life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm sorry if anything I said was taken as an attack or hounding that was not my intent. I appreciate the hard work you developers put in for free to allow people like me to relive a game from 20 years ago. Thank you for your continued work and passion for the project.

Hope your personal life gets better some all the best to you and yours.

@Kyp

Sorry to hear about your personal issue and your mother I Hope you are both safe and ok.

But this is supposed to be a big project, at this moment in time, with multiple people in it, when you are unable to attend or do the Job.

Which frankly at this stage should be relaxing and watching Multiple devs and GM do the job ( at minimum ) and collecting a check and getting hardware to test for the game in the VR industry and Hotas industry on a private beach near your island house. 

Someone else should be able to step up and take the reign. a Colonel Tigh if you will.

We don't expect a response from you. What we / I expect on the other end is a team that offer NEW, Monthly, content , seasonal event with NEW modified/content and a working game , when everything is possible to be all green. 

Deleguate , delegate , delegate. 

That's a catch 22 on salary really. You refuse to financially improve the income, in anyway shape or form to have full salaries.

Multi-Level Supporter system with rewards come to mind

Some paid ads on the forum ... 
Some offers , paid in $$ or bitcoin in exchange for Donations for showing them to the player base in private messages or Public ones... 

1$ per month ( multiply by 5000 players ) = 5k
10$ per month ( multily by 10 000 players ) = 100k
25$ Per month ( multiply by 3000 players ) = 75k
100$ per month ( Multiply by 400 players. ) = 40 k

Plus Crowdfunding goals with real amount like 100 000k or above for content the player base want and ask for.  

If you had 2-3 volunteer/paid dev worker/people per Job instead of one that decide if they show up today if the sky is blue that might help too.

You have an entire hidden forum for that Outage warning problem , Give some people the possibility to join it, a non hidden category to them chosen few, that hide the rest and enter a warning system that buzz Zachman or / and you and other for outage. Don't set it in the open ...

Get and train / mentor new volunteers. Without making them go true your current system that has a failure of creating new content maker volunteer for the long run that show up and do the job.

I am giving your answer the same consideration and hopefulness as a guy who as a resolution to train at the gym every new year and pay the minimum to access the Gym and never show up all year when he his in charge of the Bicycling team , the rowing team , the weekend competition and control the pizza reward budget. For the last 4 years.

Nice to see you on your annual showing up, see you next year can we decide on somebody else for responsibility, please. (about my resolution guy above , and your yearly answer about not having time and a life outside the emu )

Another catch 22.

you refuse new income or to get /train volunteers, to have some people, 3 for each time zone -6 (X2)-9 (x3) to watch over that the server is not out 24X7

and frankly, there is some issue with the server hardware and probably services too.

We used to be able to leave a toon in the game and come back from falling asleep 8 hour later and still be in the game at a gate. 

Time to recruit, train and mentor some new ones. At all level or make tools that are easy to use by any one that can push a button. "Woodstock" come to mind for pushing button and showing up once in a while.

And Upgrade Server and services

You not being able to show up due to life event is not the issue here at all.

You letting the project without someone to do the jobs needed to be done and to step up to replace you in your absence his do. 

It stem from the fact that you treat it has a "hobby" that you do when and if you have the time. 

Which frankly for many years now

you don't have the time or financial or motivational interest to make it one recurring priority.

Live was September 2002 in the United States. EA shut down Earth & Beyond on September 22, 2004. = 2years

Emu is 2005 to 2021 = 16 years 

Couple of Funnies :

https://forum.enb-emulator.com at the bottom says : Net-7 Entertainment, Inc. 2006-2018

https://www.net-7.org at the bottom says : ©2005 Net-7 Entertainment

https://www.net-7.org/#stats : Record: 570 players online 27/01/2013 17:19  

• Downvote 1