EnB new install on Win10 CTD / Errors

I've been gone for a while and remembered my old favorite space-game of all time. Here are the errors and fixes I have tried along the way to reconnect.

System info: 

Win10 Home (x64)

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3504 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    32.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 x 164 hertz

D/L and install client. D/L and install unified file. Made sure that ALL *.exe's have not only been set to Admin rights/Vista 3, but took it one step further and made sure that it was set that way for *all* users. Have run the graphics setup from both "base" and Net-7 and compared them. They might be off just a tad on the FPS and poly's, but darned close. Both set to windowed at the same resolution as my desktop. (1920x1080)

Edit: Also set *ALL* of the *.exe's necessary to be allowed through firewall.

Patched all up to v2.2.0 / 542 / Net7proxy v245

Modded the TCP settings in my NIC for the TCP values suggested, that is, turn them off or set to zero.

Disabled TCPv6

First time I try to connect, get splash screen, then CTD. The following error is recorded in the "_except.txt" 

"" Error code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Description: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Access address:84D95443 was written to.
Exception occurred at 00582D3F

Stack walk...

Thread list
  ID: 000007D8 - Main Thread   ***CURRENT THREAD***
  ID: 00000260 - Texture loader thread ""

....if I try to relaunch the game I get image.png.43d751084242f85934303711d87563b6.png  before the splash screen ever shows.

As you might imagine. I am very anxious to fix this and any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Edited by DaddyM0E

Hello,

Just to query your thread title, i assume Win10 isnt a new install and you meant the game?

Anyway, in my experience the only two compatibility settings that usually need adjusting for this game on all the systems i have set it up on myself or for others, is the E&BConfig.exe (set for Windows-xp SP2/3) and then setting the LaunchNet7.exe compatibility options to launch with admin rights.

Give it a test and see how it goes.

Regards

-FFT

I took your suggestions. I've clarified the title a bit and gone back and switched from XP2 sp3 to sp2. Same results. Will try to make sure *all* of te exe's called upon are xp2 sp2 as well since a few of them actually didn't have anything other than sp2 available but others were set to sp3. hmm.. yeah.. let me give that a shot. Also.. just in case. There might be some ports I need my router to open. I'll look for those in just a bit since the new Xfinity router firmware to port-forward is now web-based from *their* website and no longer an built-n function of their router hardware. Now, why EVER would they want me to actually show them EXACTLY which ports I was filtering and to whom?  (That is a tale for another time...)

Opened ports TCP/UDP 3500-3808. No change. Still crashes after splash screen. re-ran both video tests at 1024x768, something closer to their native range. Tried again. Still CTD'ed. Still will not allow the certificate to be validated or update.

Ignore certification validate/update dialog that launcher is showing.

I run on win10home/64bit. My game is in copied (not installed) to C:\Games\EnB, Net7 is under C:\Games\Net7. I have no special privileges set to any of the exe's and I run launcher as normal user. Windows user account is in admin group (ie, not limited, not admin)

I am not certain just *where* it's keeping this information hidden from me. But the game, even installed from the original cd-rom disks, still shows these options only... I've run through my usual registry cleaner. Even purchased the "pro" version of CCleaner and let it have its way with the registry. it *STILL* only gives those options when installing with the *ORIGINAL* CD's..

The only thing left, I think... is to completely uninstall my AV program. Yes, I paid for that as well, but, unlike it's cousins...it doesn't have a simple "disable AV for "x" number of minutes" or anything. It's a rather complicated process to "turn it off"...  But. That's where I am at.

Install1.JPG

Hello

Sorry to hear you are still having issues getting set up. It is very strange that a fresh install is giving this much grief to a more than capable computer.

Just a quick question though, i believe i read it correctly when you said that the graphics test functioned correctly, i.e opened a window with game models and textures running?

Did open correctly and run as it should, and if so am i correct in assuming from what you have written that it fails to go further than the splash screen upon trying to launch the game?

If the above is the case, i know this is a long-shot but have you tried lowering your refresh rate down to 60hz from the 164hz you listed and then retry to launch the game?

Regards

-FFT

WooooT!!!   I got to the login screen!  It wasn't an easy road. Disabled UAC. Installed. Used the install and then UN-install. Cleared out the registry of entries using IOBIT's Uninstaller, which was VERY fortunately, monitoring the install/uninstall and cleared out the remaining files and entries that kept getting missed.

Oakman.... you just *might* be onto something. I'll let you know soon. But yes, I've set my monitor to 60Hz for now.

Now, I have a bit of a conundrum.  I installed both the client and the Unified Installer (UI) under "E:\EnB"   however.. after the full patch-to-live process, I have duplicated install files under the defaults of "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES".  So... While the E&B *DESKTOP* shortcut still points to "E:\EnB\Net-7\bin\LaunchNet7.exe", the Client path in the launcher points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\release\client.exe"...which *can* be changed. My question is this.  Since the client on the "C:" is being called by the UI and works just fine. Should I be using the "E&B Config" file from the "C:" or from the "E:"????   I'll play with it a bit... I would appreciate your input, as always.

Oakman. The resolution works just fine for getting to the login screen.  Now getting stuck at the map when loading. I think at this point I need to open a new thread as the subject has changed. BUT....  That was a very keen observation....and.. may still apply to my current situation. However. it's late.. and I need to be "Bright-eyed and Busy-tailed" for tomorrow, thus.... sleep must be had.

6 hours ago, DaddyM0E said:

Now, I have a bit of a conundrum.  I installed both the client and the Unified Installer (UI) under "E:\EnB"   however.. after the full patch-to-live process, I have duplicated install files under the defaults of "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES".  So... While the E&B *DESKTOP* shortcut still points to "E:\EnB\Net-7\bin\LaunchNet7.exe", the Client path in the launcher points to "C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\release\client.exe"...which *can* be changed. My question is this.  Since the client on the "C:" is being called by the UI and works just fine. Should I be using the "E&B Config" file from the "C:" or from the "E:"????   I'll play with it a bit... I would appreciate your input, as always.

If launcher points to client.exe under c drive, then the install under e is not used and not patched.