kicking a very dead horse

I know this was debated several years ago.  When I did a in-forum search using keywords "radioactive" and "shield" (no quotation marks) I got 87 pages of results and I'm not even sure the debate happened on this or the old forums.

The debate I'm referring to is whether or not shields can recharge while in a radioactive area.  What I remember about the debate is people on both sides claimed they had proof from pre-Sunset, but I personally never saw either side's proof (which would have to be video evidence of someone's gameplay with the mouse positioned over the shield bar while in a radioactive area).  Since I didn't have any video evidence one way or the other I kept silent (though my heart wanted very much to be on the side that shields of a certain size/recharge rate were immune to the shield drain of radioactive areas like near the star in VT).

Years later, and probably not going to convince anybody of importance, I finally break my silence with the application of math/logic.  For the purposes of my argument I will use the radioactive area/shield drain around Aragoth Major in VT.

Assume Aragoth Major drains x shield energy at 0.00km distance.  As you distance yourself, y, from the star the drain should lessen exponentially (x-y).  Let's put some random numbers to that.  At 0.00km Aragoth Major drains 1,000 shield energy/second, let's assume it drops 10 for every 0.01km traveled, at 0.05km it would be 950/sec, at 0.5km it'd be draining 500/sec, and so on.  Eventually a shield's recharge rate would overpower the drain rate.  Now I've seen toons with lvl 1 shields (average recharge rate of 2.511111/sec using all 9 shields listed, though at least two are not available to the general populace) touring in VT and the shields slowly tick away at the same rate as a lvl 8 shield with an average 257.1/sec {38 reactors added up at "stock/100%" values based on Net-7 database} the equal 1/sec or whatever it currently is set at, shield energy drain rate for high and low level characters makes no sense given their wholly different recharge rates

******edit******

What I would propose is after figuring out precisely what the radioactive area's drain rate should be in relative position to the source/epicenter (x-y=z), the modified shield recharge rate would be whatever the normal recharge rate minus z.  The trouble with this solution is I can imagine this would be tinkering with the client which our DEVs cannot do, however if we were to go to .... I believe at one point in a Stress Test we had lvl 7 (or was it 4?) shields and above would be immune to the shield drain

Edited by Stoop

I wish I had evidence but I wasn't a fraps dude back in the day. I do remember after a certain level, the drain was negated by the shield in live. Level 7 or so you could just sit on the sun and let the flames wash over you.

But we're not in live anymore, and the emu has been running a lot longer than live ever did. I think it's just a consistent amount of damage, which is complicated by that shield recharge only starts after a certain period of time of no damage - which Aragoth Major will never give up on the path of danger.

I'm fine with it as it is - gives the whole area a real peril it didn't have before.

Does Environment Shield negate it?

Hi,

I can answer this because I remember. If your regeneration rate EXCEEDED the downturn from the sector/area, it would be able to grow/refilll. Is this not happening as expected? If so I will place a bug ticket on our dev tracker.

• 2 years later...