Alt+tabbing in and out and the game crashing

Apologies if it doesn't belong here.  If not, I'll move it to the GM Public Support forums.

Anyone else have this issue? 

It happens almost 100% of the time when I go to alt+tab back into the game when I get to the gate and I go to click the gate button right away.  However, I play in windowed-mode, so sometimes I accidently click on something in the background and it'll minimize the game.  If it's done really fast, it'll crash the game.  I'll try to alt+tab back in or click on the game in the taskbar and it's frozen.  So I have to close the game through the Task Manager.

Edited by Gullet

Gullet -- the emulator's tech support staff needs to know what operating system you are running and that you are running the .exe with administrator privileges, and as an emulation of which operating system [if applicable].  Also that you have all four check boxes on the login screen checked.

Windows 7 64 bit is prone to this; possibly other o/s.  I use the taskbar for this -- just click on the session you want to make active.  Does require setting up the window to be slightly smaller as per the post by Magoo in this part of the forums.

I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-bit with a Intel i7-3770 3.4ghz cpu and 16gb ram and a GeForce GTX 1060 card with 3gb ram.  Yes, every .exe in the net7 and e&b folders is set to win xp sp3 in compatibility mode and to run as administrator.  I only had 3 of 4 boxes checked on the Net-7 launcher.  I checked all 4 and it would still happen.  I restarted the pc and it still happens. 

Let me know what else I can provide.  And tyvm for the help.

Edited by Gullet

I hope you mistyped and have Win XP, SP 3 [three] compatibility mode being used.

We've reached the limit of my knowledge of EnB interactions with Windows ... so I'll have to be a bit quieter now

Edited by Lquan

I've gotten a couple pms from others that were having the same issues.  These were the things I've tried that have helped to cut down on crashes.

For newer OS's, if you haven't changed the compatibility settings for the game's .exes, follow the guide below.  Then, based on tips I saw in in-game chat, I changed the following in-game options. 

I went to Options > Graphics and left Gamma Control alone and maxed out the rest. 

Then I went to Options > Camera and unchecked everything except for "Always Keep Ship in View". 

Also make sure all 4 boxes in the Server section on the Net 7 launcher are checked.

It went from crashing 3-4x an hour to maybe once every 3-4 hours.  And the graphics look much better as an added bonus. 

Hope this helps.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this on any of my systems so I am unable to debug this.

If someone is experiencing this problem and knows their way around a debugger then please attach a debugger and try to get the crash to occur and message me the call stack at the time of the crash.

• Upvote 1

No artifacting, screen glitching or stuttering when I play any game.  Don't have any issues running any of the newer games.  Keep a clean case.  Opened the case anyway and reseated the card and cable.  Run MSI Afterburner to track temps on the gpu and coretemp for the cpu.  Neither are overheating.  I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and let you know how that works out.

Edited by Gullet

Still happens every once in awhile with just one instance running.  I'd say like maybe once every 3-4 hours which isn't bad.  I even plugged in a different vid card and uninstalled the old drivers and reinstalled new ones for that card.

It's easy to reproduce if I run two instances.  It happens 100% of the time.  I send out the group invite from the second instance, alt+tab to the first one and accept the invite.  When I alt+tab back, they both freeze up and stop working.  I have to kill them through the task manager.

Edited by Gullet

Is any software on your system injecting any type of overlay into the game? (think Overwolf, Discord, TSNative, or any other overlay really). These overlays generally hook into WndProc and, in some cases, can actually crash programs as a result when alt-tabbing and if the UAC (think: Run as Administrator dialog) dialog shows up.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Cipher said:

Is any software on your system injecting any type of overlay into the game? (think Overwolf, Discord, TSNative, or any other overlay really). These overlays generally hook into WndProc and, in some cases, can actually crash programs as a result when alt-tabbing and if the UAC (think: Run as Administrator dialog) dialog shows up.

another overlay type program that might be the problem is the one your graphics card may use to capture the action as a video -- AMD's ReLive, for example.  {ReLive and similar graphics capture programs work by sending a detailed summary of the entire screen to the cpu to be saved as a file on disk -- this inherently uses the gpu's data path for ReLive while the cpu might be trying to send data for the next frame to be rendered to the gpu -- at best, it makes the whole process slower unless you have a very fast computer.}

I wonder if you follow the setup instructions in TraderMagoo's post {on the emulator forums under "technical"} if activating the chosen window by clicking on the taskbar's button under your game window would eliminate this problem [in other words, use this method instead of alt-tab].  I've been using Magoo's method for several years now and the "only" drawback is that I sometimes forget which window is active and accidentally minimize it [after which ant-mouse lets me Restore it to near full screen size].

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 6:43 AM, Cipher said:

Hey  there,

You are right about the way injection works, however - Overwolf cannot interfere with games that are not officially supported by it (like Earth & Beyond).

If at any point you encounter an issue with Overwolf while gaming, I encourage you to contact us here: http://support.overwolf.com/submit-a-request/ - we're always trying our best to help and to provide a smooth gaming experience.

Dana

Overwolf Support Team

I run in full screen mode and used to be able to run 7 or 8 screens at once and had no issue tabbing between instances, it worked smoothly and instantly. I think there has been some update to windows that has messed something up because when i do it now it takes ages to tab between instances even with just 2 running and most times after a couple of goes one will crash and the other will take a few minutes to recover. I updated to the latest drivers for my graphics card which helped a little.

About a year ago i had an issue where the game would not run at all due to a windows update that messed security settings up, the only way around it was a clean install of windows.

Haven't ever used most of these plugins really, what does Overwolf provide to a game? We're not against making it a possibility to do such if we can, but it's really going to depend on what it hooks to since we don't have the complete internals of the original game client.