Volunteering -- wanted? how to?

Lquan

Seems that many of our esteemed DEVs, GMs, and web fellows are volunteers who donate their time.  What I don't see is how more folk can volunteer ... and what skills are needed.

{this has confined my activities to improving the wiki ...}

• Upvote 1

If you have what it takes send me a PM and introduce me to your resume/skills/what you think you can offer.

Right now the two things we could use are donations and content developers who can follow my higher level guidelines and help to get missions written for the different races to coincide with events.

Kyp ... "content developers" doesn't communicate much to me.  There are a profusion of languages, database systems and scripting tools out here.  Plus graphic tools.  I can't even find a link to which ones EnB uses.

I'm retired and income is fixed plus somewhat scant -- limits my donations.  What I do have is time.  And a bit of willingness.

Might be that our game could use some added ingame publicity regarding the need for donations, too    [when was the donation tracker last updated?] ---  what comm channels to us players are available for that?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lquan said:

Kyp ... "content developers" doesn't communicate much to me.  There are a profusion of languages, database systems and scripting tools out here.  Plus graphic tools.  I can't even find a link to which ones EnB uses.

I'm retired and income is fixed plus somewhat scant -- limits my donations.  What I do have is time.  And a bit of willingness.

Might be that our game could use some added ingame publicity regarding the need for donations, too    [when was the donation tracker last updated?] ---  what comm channels to us players are available for that?

Content Developers, at least in the Emulator's case, use graphical tools that we have created to add content (such as missions, items, mobs, systems, etc) to the game. No programming experience is required to help out with content development, just the time and willingness.

The Donation Tracker on the forums should be updating in real-time, this is not something that we have to update manually.

^

I haven't updated it because the goal amount has not yet been met even though the "title" of that donation goal is Q3 of the year. As for CDEV, what Cipher said above here. Most people think they need to be able to program to do this, you don't need that at all, you need the ability to write dialogue, follow some higher level guidelines from me for the overarching story and maybe pitch some unique ideas we can try for certain problems we bring up at our meetings

You wouldn't be able to log into them unless you were already on the team. It doesn't work any other way.

That said, trust me, anyone can use them. The question is can you write compelling stories/dialogue and come up with inventive things to do that fit high-level guidelines and help advance and the overarching story.

So web based authorized tools ... not like the 3 missing now not missing race tool

or Star trek forge system or starcarft mission creator or etc ( insert game mission designer here )

Well I trust you , but it seem you don't trust me with the tools as they have too much adminsitrative rights and would crash the player server ? 

I had for toher idea to take the Agrripa exemple and rewrite something similar for Jenquai and Terrans  , changing mission a bit and NPC and requirement ( Kyp you said it was easy , just thinking aloud ).

8 minutes ago, Kyp said:

that fit high-level guidelines

Are those publicly availaible ?

9 minutes ago, Kyp said:

help advance and the overarching story.

Can you develop new arch based on players idea too ? Any story left unpublished ? 

might be time to make up a CDEV mentoring program  , match existing CDEV with new CDEV volunteer ? 

I would volunteer for CDEV apprenticeship

On 12/16/2018 at 7:37 PM, Moulinneuf said:

as would I.

Back in the bad old days, I actually could program.  Learned in assembly language on an IBM 360/50 [mainframe] system.  The much later x386 assembly language proved to be very, very similar.  Graduated to C [before C++] and fiddled a bit with Fortran and other languages I've forgotten now.  Never did much database work or scripts -- no Java at all.  And if it's any newer than that -- I was doing other things by then and lost interest.

Well, logic is still logical.  I'm actually decent at that.

Edited by Lquan
  • Upvote 1

On 12/16/2018 at 7:37 PM, Moulinneuf said:

So web based authorized tools ... not like the 3 missing now not missing race tool

or Star trek forge system or starcarft mission creator or etc ( insert game mission designer here )

Well I trust you , but it seem you don't trust me with the tools as they have too much adminsitrative rights and would crash the player server ? 

I had for toher idea to take the Agrripa exemple and rewrite something similar for Jenquai and Terrans  , changing mission a bit and NPC and requirement ( Kyp you said it was easy , just thinking aloud ).

Are those publicly availaible ?

Can you develop new arch based on players idea too ? Any story left unpublished ? 

might be time to make up a CDEV mentoring program  , match existing CDEV with new CDEV volunteer ? 

GUI tools that communicate through a web service to authenticate an authorized developer's access to the development server database. Very few can actually make direct changes to sunrise itself.
re: trust.. 

Don't take it badly. I don't just trust anyone. It's my nature as an admin and leader etc. In order to keep things secure and on a track, not every joe can get access to things. You have to show me interest and show me what you can do, I generally ask for a PM describing what you think you can do for us.

The high level guidelines would be for a given story arch, making them public would ruin any story advancement before you got to play it and see it. There's plenty of story left to use which we're working on. We can develop whatever after that, but we are mostly sticking to everything we had from the original game until that is done before we do anything completely and totally original as we'd have to write some high levels for that.

On 12/19/2018 at 12:53 PM, Lquan said:

as would I.

Back in the bad old days, I actually could program.  Learned in assembly language on an IBM 360/50 [mainframe] system.  The much later x386 assembly language proved to be very, very similar.  Graduated to C [before C++] and fiddled a bit with Fortran and other languages I've forgotten now.  Never did much database work or scripts -- no Java at all.  And if it's any newer than that -- I was doing other things by then and lost interest.

Well, logic is still logical.  I'm actually decent at that.

Most of our developers have no idea about programming. there are only a few of us who do and we develop the server & tools for the developers to use to get the content created and things done to meet requirements. See above, send PM etc, about joining up or if you've sent one to me in teh past freshen it up.

1 hour ago, Kyp said:

Don't take it badly. I don't just trust anyone.

I never take game related things badly, it's just a game, I observe and point out here that your method of screening and developing CDEV

might be on too high a security and unbeatable trust setting that you usually reserve to professional settings for server and master administrators. 

Hence the player feel as do there is no progress or activity in the game and go on to play something else, a natural order of things

1 hour ago, Kyp said:

It's my nature as an admin and leader etc. In order to keep things secure and on a track,

Things sure are secure but on track? I might have a disagreement if compared to other years and content available to players this year on the emulator.

1 hour ago, Kyp said:

not every joe can get access to things.

The game with the most player made activity and content tend to take the opposite view and allow a lot of access to mission and player map making to allow for player and new idea experimenting.

1 hour ago, Kyp said:

You have to show me interest and show me what you can do, I generally ask for a PM describing what you think you can do for us.

I keep asking, that is all I can do.

Seem like a catch 22 here, you need CDEV, you won't tell us your need we don't know if we can meet your needs, and the game looks stale in storyline advancements and new side missions and race-related missions from a player side perspective

1 hour ago, Kyp said:

The high level guidelines would be for a given story arch, making them public would ruin any story advancement before you got to play it and see it. There's plenty of story left to use which we're working on. We can develop whatever after that, but we are mostly sticking to everything we had from the original game until that is done before we do anything completely and totally original as we'd have to write some high levels for that.

I would venture to guess that for CDEV the fun is not in reading the story arch but in achieving it so that player enjoy it and that the Admin/Leader is happy with the offered and built end result.

IMy suggestion still stands with regard to allowing CDEV mentorship this way they can delegate their workload onto their apprenticeship and allocate their time resource to high levels instead of low levels minor storyline and simple missions, side mission and make the game more enjoyable to all new and old players alike.

I am going to go even more brazen this time and request you as my CDEV mentor, I am pretty sure I can handle your CDEV missing requirement and to do list and checklist for your own January deadline of 11 days, and I got a case of Advil on standby to help with a possible headache.

as always the choice is yours.

I can attest as to Lqan great work on the wiki and even if you decide again not to pick me, that you would be missing out on not allowing Lqan to help your CDEV team as he would make a fine and great addition.

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to all!

14 hours ago, Kyp said:

GUI tools that communicate through a web service to authenticate an authorized developer's access to the development server database. Very few can actually make direct changes to sunrise itself.

Don't take it badly. I don't just trust anyone. It's my nature as an admin and leader etc. In order to keep things secure and on a track, not every joe can get access to things. You have to show me interest and show me what you can do, I generally ask for a PM describing what you think you can do for us.

Most of our developers have no idea about programming. there are only a few of us who do and we develop the server & tools for the developers to use to get the content created and things done to meet requirements. See above, send PM etc, about joining up or if you've sent one to me in teh past freshen it up.

Here is an idea: I used to play Pirates of the burning seas... They allowed some game mods in the way of sails.  The tools were not suggested but once a sail was submitted they were checked for adherence to the specs.  If so the sail would become available either public or private. 

So my idea is create an area (invite only after request) that  describes the format of the missions.  If the mission is accepted, the mission can be cut and pasted into the game tools.

If the user passes muster he/she could then be given access to the tools themselves?

What you think boss?

Mim

P.S.  We already allow logos 

• Upvote 1

Mouli, as I said, send me something in private. I don't take them in public. I may have some questions etc. With regard to security, *shrug* it's highly important in this day and age. Content hasn't rolled out much this year due to my crazy work schedule which has recently changed leading to what I describe for January in another post.

Mimir,

We already have something that takes player/guild submitted icons for your ship wings. With respect to 'mission area,' this sounds like somewhat needless bureaucracy :) I would say just show me you can write a piece of dialogue that doesn't suck in a PM if you're interested. This is really most of what mission writing is. The dialogs and applying special conditions and tags that represent what you know as what you have to do, and what rewards you receive for doing so and doing so with responsible levels and not trying to give outlandish rewards, keep them in sync with other missions around the same level and as you do so you have to be able to follow the high-level story and generate appropriate stories and content to meet those goals in addition to some of your own here and there as long as it fits and you get some peer or sr. approval for quality control. We've had a past history of people getting on the team and really causing problems without being caught, I'm sure you've noticed with the state of the economy which is incredibly heavy on our minds. Without a thriving economy and market there's little to motivate some of the rest of the game.

13 hours ago, Kyp said:

I would say just show me you can write a piece of dialogue that doesn't suck in a PM if you're interested. This is really most of what mission writing is. The dialogs and applying special conditions and tags that represent what you know as what you have to do, and what rewards you receive for doing so and doing so with responsible levels and not trying to give outlandish rewards, keep them in sync with other missions around the same level and as you do so you have to be able to follow the high-level story and generate appropriate stories and content to meet those goals in addition to some of your own here and there as long as it fits and you get some peer or sr. approval for quality control. We've had a past history of people getting on the team and really causing problems without being caught, I'm sure you've noticed with the state of the economy which is incredibly heavy on our minds. Without a thriving economy and market there's little to motivate some of the rest of the game.

ok .. now we're becoming more concrete on the "what" -- write dialogue.  That seems possible ...

have to admit that i have not tried every mission in the game -- and that my recollection of some is hazy at best.  My recollection of the wiki pages I've started is also hazy ... well, that comes with having other concerns for much of the past two years and growing older, I guess.

I'll see what I come up with over the holidays ....

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2018 at 9:47 AM, Lquan said:

EnB used 3DS max for 3d models, animations, 3d graphics.  Any old 2d graphics program should be able to handle texture making for 3d models, or re-texturing old models with higher quality textures.  There's also a set of plugins for 3DS max created for Command & Conquer: Renegade that will work for EnB, because they use the exact same game/gfx engine.

love love love.  Ty for the clarifications, Cipher, and grats on your 3D tool work so far.  I remember it was rather difficult to figure out everything that was going on in 3DS max, and now I kinda understand why.