Where has everyone gone?

If it makes you feel any better,  I joined just about 3 months ago, so there is *some* new blood coming in. Thus far, I've just been enjoying the game and lurking until I get the lay of the land so to speak. If a membership drive is needed, I'm sure we all know a friend who would enjoy the emulator. 

17 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I'm back after a 2 year absence! Hoping to see you all out there!

Me too! WB to both of us haha! I forgot how much I love this game. I've spent WAY too much time the last couple says setting up all my characters again and trying to remember the best gear for each. Its hard. I seem to have lost my notebook of the best farming spots (combat and prospecting) which bums me out. Guess I'll just have to venture out and find them again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 11:37 PM, Vitaes said:

Since WinXP machines no longer run this game, I would have to get a new computer

You were really still on XP?!

And i wonder why so many private computers are infected lately, becoming a part of botnets....I can see it in the logs of the mail servers i am running for customers.

Private computers silently sending thousands of mails in the background.

Seriously guys, please get rid of any OS not supported since more than  4 years anymore. Please update to a still-supported OS and have (at least) the Windows Defender running.

It is NOT  your very private problem anymore becoming infected - in fact you guys become MY  (and million of other adminitrators) problem too, when your infected hell-spam-boxes are shooting constantly at our servers.

@Vitaes

You can run a virtual box on a MAC and have W7 running in it.

Depending on your hardware the frame rate could be ok. On the other hand...you can get a 16GB / Intel 7600 machine for 400,- EUR alrerady.

The last 10% "state-of-the-art hardware" are always like 100% more cost and (imho) not worth it. Go for "current-1" generation hardware and you get the best shot for the buck.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

22 hours ago, Zackman said:

Said a lot wich I shorcuted entirely

Ich habe viel gesagt, was ich gänzlich gekürzt habe

Nothing personnal zackman but thats kinda goes into Mimir help wih new player point / section

1. Well if you guys don't allow or wan't to allow windows xp on you server that's kinda your choice but you need to block xp and inform users and leave a change period time ...

2. Pretty sure one user is not a botnet on itself ... again you can block that at you isp

3. A . You do know that by saying OS you lost 95% of people who have no clue your talking about windows old version and Apple old version and Linux older version ? 

B. You offer no links to recent OS or prefered ones , service or help to install either

4. Never seen and old OS person refuse a free upgrade or real help , whcih you really don't offer here , as per the Mimir new player point and new player  guidelines.

5. where is the MAc and W7 guide on here again ? 

6 A. Cool Zacky is buying all of us 400 euro computers  like Oprahs !! Mine need the US plug please ...

B. Again no links or details , I am not sure I can order from Germany anyway or that I would wan to.

7. A. you seem to be missing a lot of part in your rig https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/

B. why can't you do computer deals offers with a cut on the sale on it for the emulator and the designer of it zacky for desktop on for laptop and one for just make us dream for people with lots of cash to burn.

Not evryone is rich or have 400 euro in there wallet , not everyone live in the G20 rich country , not everyone is knowledgeable , not everyone fault there are crackers and black hackers and script kiddies  who exploit old OS non supported exploits.

laptop on Amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=11392907011

Zackman price range finder of options ::

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/builds/#X=0,57549&sort=a2&page=1

zackman desktop

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/mouli/saved/#view=bygyXL 

-----

Bah Humbug and Merry xmas / Hollydays to all 

Edited by Moulinneuf

48 minutes ago, Moulinneuf said:

Nothing personnal zacky but thats kinda goes into Mimir help wih new player point / section

Quoting me with "blablabla" is kind of personal. Watch your tone brother, you are close to the dark side....

1. Well if you guys don't allow or wan't to allow windows xp on you server that's kinda your choice but you need to block xp and inform users and leave a change period time ...

No1 said we didnt WANT to support XP anymore, it was posted more than once, thats SSL cipher changed and since XP isnt supported since 4 years, its not working with the newer cipher. You see how your comment is completely missing the point? 

3. A . You do know that by saying OS you lost 95% of people who have no clue your talking about windows old version and Apple old version and Linux older version ? 

Doesn't change the facts.

B. You offer no links to recent OS or prefered ones , service or help to install either

No problem, here:

http://bfy.tw/LHes

Never seen and old OS person refuse a free upgrade or real help , whcih you really don't offer here , as per the Mimir new player point and new player  guidelines.

I rarely offer any guidelines. I give hints, you google.

5. where is the MAc and W7 guide on here again ? 

On the portal: https://www.net-7.org/?#gameinfo    (click on NEW PLAYER GUIDE)

SInce when is Mac supported? Its not. I also never said.

I was talking directly to Vitaes earlier, about a virtual environment with a W7 guest.  If you dont fully understand what this is about, refrain from commenting it.

6 A. Cool Zacky is buying all of us 400 euro computers  like Oprahs !! Mine need the US plug please ...

I dont remeber offering you "Zacky". It's "Zackman" for you.

400,- EUR doesnt mean you need to buy in Europe, it was a price-tag so we know a range we are talking about.

I have no idea why you think you need to order a PC in germany now.

And for the record:

Did you know you will just plug in your USA power-cable into the world-wide standarized socket of the power-supply of the computer?

Bummer....

Again no links or details , I am not sure I can order from Germany anyway or that I would wan to.

Not sure i  understand: You dont WANT to order from  Germany still you complain about missing links?

1 - I am not sure you should use computers anyway, you are obv. not even able to use a search engine (eg. google).

2 - You shouldnt order from outside the USA anyway. Its WAY more expensive than buying a computer from inside your country.

I wasnt even telling you to buy in Germany, dont know why you assume i did....all i did was giving you guys an idea of the price range.

why can't you do computer deals offers with a cut on the sale on it for the emulator and the designer of it zacky for desktop on for laptop and one for just make us dream for people with lots of cash to burn.

Are you seriously that out-of-touch with reality? Do you have any idea of what you are talking about?

A non profit organization selling computers "with a cut on the sale", let alone all other problems coming along with "being a hardware dealer".

Lol...just lol...

Not evryone is rich or have 400 euro in there wallet , not everyone live in the G20 rich country , not everyone is knowledgeable , not everyone fault there are crackers and black hackers and script kiddies  who exploit old OS non supported exploits.

You seem to be full of anger based on where you are living, based on local politics, based on your personal situation. Before i say anything wrong, i dont say anything at all.

But finally let me say this:

YOur posting is generally full of "passive aggresive attitude". It's not constructive, it's just to flame and troll.

Do not post again in this style. You had this shot...free....next one is not.

• Upvote 1

Well, had you asked Mimir, Moulin you'd know that was already being pursued BEFORE you posted the diatribe above. We offer support for the game for current OS only if it needs to be said. If you're running XP or 3.1, sucks to be you. This isn't meant as disrespect, it's simply how things are. You cannot expect the same computer to run for 30 years. XP came out in 2001. It's been unsupported entirely by Microsoft since 2014, this is to what Zackman referred. Because of a change in the SSL protocol, the cipher suite is no longer capable of encrypting/decrypting packets without 3rd party, hacky solutions for your operating system. If you choose to support something past EOSL, you inherit the difficulties.

In the near future Windows 7 is approaching the end of life, it might be wise to keep up to date on such dates. We'll always support if we can because we want people to play, but we're not going to lose sleep over someone not being able to if they aren't fairly modern with the times.

You can keep up to date with what they support and release updates for here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zackman said:

Quoting me with "blablabla" is kind of personal. Watch your tone brother, you are close to the dark side....

Just a shortcut ..

No1 said we didnt WANT to support XP anymore, it was posted more than once, thats SSL cipher changed and since XP isnt supported since 4 years, its not working with the newer cipher. You see how your comment is completely missing the point? 

"Seriously guys, please get rid of any OS not supported since more than  4 years anymore" - Zackman  posted 18 hours ago

no mention of cypher at al in previous post

My point still stand it's your choice to remove support for older OS, like windows XP , the security reason you mention are good enough to do so and would probably improve lag due to the change in internet protocol between XP and windows 10 ...

No problem, here:

http://bfy.tw/LHes

Nope doesn't help , and part of the point on NEW PLAYER HELP missing, you can give a hammer and a woodknive to an amateur and get 

toothpick , you won't get a sculputure that you would get from an artisan ...

BTW i was on the internet before netscape 1.0 and search engines existed

I rarely offer any guidelines. I give hints, you google.

I know , well you think you do , what if the OS in the default setting is set to only BING and don't offer Google ? What If I prefer DuckDuckgo or Yahoo or etc ...  

On the portal: https://www.net-7.org/?#gameinfo    (click on NEW PLAYER GUIDE)

SInce when is Mac supported? Its not. I also never said.

I was talking directly to Vitaes earlier, about a virtual environment with a W7 guest.  If you dont fully understand what this is about, refrain from commenting it.

Nothing about virtual install on MAC in there it's all about once you have the game installed 

So there is no MAC support and no guide to do an install of virtual machine and install the game , correct ?

MAC user tend to use Boot Camp or a Linux OS depending on what they where taught / find easier

I dont remeber offering you "Zacky". It's "Zackman" for you.

Noted ...

400,- EUR doesnt mean you need to buy in Europe, it was a price-tag so we know a range we are talking about.

I have no idea why you think you need to order a PC in germany now.

That's around 450$ USD or 610$ CAD which increase the range of parts exponentially if your a PC part follower. 

The joke is lost on you an exemple of a vendor with a system description from a german website would have been more apporpriate.

And for the record:

Did you know you will just plug in your USA power-cable into the world-wide standarized socket of the power-supply of the computer?

Bummer....

Hey if you don't get the plug joke here ...

Not sure i  understand: You dont WANT to order from  Germany still you complain about missing links?

https://www.alternate.de/PC with a link to a model and system decription for example ? 

1 - I am not sure you should use computers anyway, you are obv. not even able to use a search engine (eg. google).

Crap Altavista and yahoo did not count before Google even existed ?  

2 - You shouldnt order from outside the USA anyway. Its WAY more expensive than buying a computer from inside your country.

I don't lnow I get free part for review direct from the brand and the CAD is not too bad as a currency in Asia

I wasnt even telling you to buy in Germany, dont know why you assume i did....all i did was giving you guys an idea of the price range.

Hence my joke pointing out it's not descriptive enough ...

Are you seriously that out-of-touch with reality?

Clue for you, if it's usually too big to be believable, it's usually a joke ...

Do you have any idea of what you are talking about?

Obvoiusly not I tought I was on a written medium ... 

A non profit organization selling computers "with a cut on the sale", let alone all other problems coming along with "being a hardware dealer".

Lol...just lol...

- in the 190 country which I did it with partners it was never this difficult ... even sold Mandrake , Slackware and SUSE computer with a NPO in Germany 

- If the NPO is the problem LLC work too ..

-Was mostly thinking of a marketing plan , what is called a referal or Associate sale , not a direct computer assembly and sale store

have not done it since the end of the 80's and don't recommand it n 2018

You seem to be full of anger based on where you are living, based on local politics, based on your personal situation. Before i say anything wrong, i dont say anything at all.

Quebec joke , you know insider joke , like my jenquai explorer run on mapple syrup and french surrendering poems even do I was born in Canada and still live there ...

For the rest you seem to have me really mixed up with someone else.

YOur posting is generally full of "passive aggresive attitude".

Your false perspective

It's not constructive,

I will give you that one , in your view I am destructive.

it's just to flame and troll.

https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/profile/31083-moulinneuf/

Do not post again in this style. You had this shot...free....next one is not.

Zackman , my style was funny and humorous , yours was down right adressed at a fiction of who you think I am . And probably some reading outside this forum and game on your part ...

If you can't deal with people who build guides asking question and player just pointng out the obvious , might I suggest you think about a break 

and work on your humor ... 

4 hours ago, Kyp said:

Well, had you asked Mimir,

Mimir communictae by DM here , i think he as my email and we where in the same guild in live , if he want to say something to me he as my undivided attention and priority ...

Moulin

You can call me Mouli everyone does

you'd know that was already being pursued BEFORE

I read is post mentionning a new pc and a new player guide  and somewhat him asking for my help , which he can always count on, I am not a druid or mind readeer ...

you posted the diatribe above.

Answered iin the same tone as Zackmann and was being humorous.

We offer support for the game for current OS only if it needs to be said.

The question still is why not just discontinue windows xp access if it's a security and lag related problem

The solution offered was discontinue it by saying it publicly and offering time for those on it to migrate or ask for help

If you're running XP or 3.1, sucks to be you.

I run dos and have a vic 20 and commodore 64 , those sucked ...

Again for, security and possible exploit reason why not just discontinue their usage and acces totally  on the server ?  

This isn't meant as disrespect, it's simply how things are.

Hence why not make a more permanent change toward blocking access to old discontinued OS ? 

I don't get the disrespect thing, it's an OS , your server you decide what OS access it

You cannot expect the same computer to run for 30 years.

Vic 20 is 38 years stil run fine , no internet do

XP came out in 2001.

I had pre-beta copy in 1996  but ok ...

It's been unsupported entirely by Microsoft since 2014,

Service Pack 3 wa released in 2008 and they where already working on Vista by then ..

this is to what Zackman referred.

Yep extended support is done and gone ...

I was writting about blocking it's access and telling user to upgrade based on Zackman other content around that point

Because of a change in the SSL protocol, the cipher suite is no longer capable of encrypting/decrypting packets without 3rd party, hacky solutions for your operating system. If you choose to support something past EOSL, you inherit the difficulties.

Why keep the assle access to the server then ? 

In the near future Windows 7 is approaching the end of life, it might be wise to keep up to date on such dates. We'll always support if we can because we want people to play, but we're not going to lose sleep over someone not being able to if they aren't fairly modern with the times.

Magoo wrote ton of OS instal in the older forum , don't know if they where ported to the new Forum

https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/tags/How to install/

Don't recall if he did any older windows to newer version or how to get the OS

You can keep up to date with what they support and release updates for here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/search

I just buy a new laptop these days when the latest version is deemed stable

Bah Humbug and Merry XMas hollydays to all 

Edited by Moulinneuf
  • Upvote 1

Wow... I for one am not rich.  I do know that trying to keep a POS computer alive and kicking after MS has abandoned the OS is a loosing proposition. Yes I have kept a few favorites alive by switching to Linux but it is just not the same (some have said better I happen to disagree).  So what are your choices? Build one yourself or buy a new one.  I can't get into the build a piece at a time as budget allows.  SO I look for a more affordable option.  

Ebay, Amazon, HP, Dell all offer open box or returns.  Most offer factory re-pops and an affordable price. 

Latest Woot.com deals: 

https://computers.woot.com/plus/gifts-for-gamers-6?ref=w_cnt_wp_3    

Arguing with our devs to keep supporting an OS that has been discontinued is a loosing battle IMHO.  I quit Windows 7, went to 10 but found that although my box would run it, it would crash and burn for mysterious reasons.  Swapped out drive, swapped out graphics card.  When it got to the need to swap out RAM and CPU it was much cheaper for me to just bite the bullet and get a new box. 

Anyone follow Star Citizen?  I do, originally it ran on my Windows 10 Dell XPS.  As the game developed the hardware requirements increased.  Keep up or don't play.  Do I curse the Devs?  Pretty soon IMO that will be the game to watch for space games.

Just ranting,

Mim

P.S. Mouli...I'll contact you when I finish getting me screen grabs of the registration and install process.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Mimir said:

Arguing with our devs to keep supporting an OS that has been discontinued is a loosing battle IMHO

You do realize that you dont argue with the Devs, its arguing with MICROSOFT.

Although it was posted more than once now, that MICROSOFT did not update WIndows XP anymore and therefore the needed SSL cipher is missing in Windows XP, you guys keep talking about the "devs not supporting..." - why is that so?

28 minutes ago, Zackman said:

Although it was posted more than once now, that MICROSOFT did not update WIndows XP anymore and therefore the needed SSL cipher is missing in Windows XP, you guys keep talking about the "devs not supporting..." - why is that so?

Easier to pick a fight with those that are close. :) 

Image2.gif

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Zackman said:

-The Devs are the one allowing an unsuported OS access to the Emu server 

- You said it's a bad idea to use it / them ( windows xp , old unsuported OS) because of security and exploit.

-Must be some player asking you to keep it  / them? ( not me )

-I personnaly asked why you don't just remove it from the OS tolerated who as access to the server

and to annonce it publicly with a grace period for xp player 

Zackman you keep discussing support , I moved to OS access

25 minutes ago, Zackman said:

The question moved toward , why are the dev allowing EMU player to use windows XP anymorre and not just ban it / remove it totally from OS that acces the emU. 

DEV support

Microsoft :

• Windows 95 (1995) no support or upgrade from anyone
  • Windows 98 (1998) no support or upgrade from anyone
  • Windows ME (2000) no support or upgrade from anyone
  • Windows XP (2001) no support or upgrade from anyone
  • Windows Vista (2006) no support or upgrade from anyone
  • Windows 7 (2009) Microsoft support / upgrade end January 2023.
  • Windows 8 (2012) no support or upgrade from anyone
  • Windows 8.1 (2013)  Microsoft support / upgrade end January 2023.
  • Windows 10 (2015) Mainstream support until October 10, 2023 Extended support until October 10, 2028 

from Microsoft and reviewers Windows 12 is all about VR. ... Our sources from the company confirmed that Microsoft is planning to release a new operating system called Windows 12 in early 2019. Indeed, there will be no Windows 11, as the company decided to jump straight to Windows 12.

asking you why your not moving to

• Windows XP (2001) no support from anyone , banned from accessing server at ISP level due to security reason
  • Windows Vista (2006) no support from anyone , banned from accessing server at ISP level due to security reason
  • Windows 7 (2009) Mainstream support ended on January 13, 2015.[Extended support until January 14, 2020 (January 2023 for Professional and Enterprise DEV support from EMU ending soon acces to the server up until ?
  • Windows 8 (2012) no support from anyone , banned from accessing server at ISP level due to security reason
  • Windows 8.1 (2013) Mainstream support ended on January 9, 2018, Extended support until January 10, 2023
  • upgrading to Windows 8.1 is required for Windows 8users to receive updates and support after January 12, 2016. Dev support until x dates , banned from accessing server x dates
  • Windows 10 (2015) Mainstream support until October 10, 2023 , Extended support until October 10, 2028[

8 hours ago, Zackman said:

Hey...I was trying to be supportive. 

It seems that you guys are getting the brunt of the whines...Take it from me, the King O whiners, that was misdirected whines.

Mostly not whining this time,

Mim

Allow me to clarify. WIth respect to Operating Systems:

• We support any current version of Windows which is not past its EOSL
  • End of support options.

If you want to do things in Mac and Linux, you're more than welcome, may pique our interest and we might event contribute in some cases but we OFFICIALLY support only an OS that is supported by the vendor that released it. We will never ever be the ones to advise you on how to keep these non-compliant and pardon for it, ancient operating systems running because it involves dangerous hacks to your operating system if you aren't an absolute cryptographical expert and most people aren't, even those in many technology fields.

Mim,

Zack may have misunderstood, english isn't first language it happens.

Mouli:

With respect to the statement above, do you need anything else answered? We want everyone to play, but we can't support things that aren't supported by the people that created them, in the case of XP its because it's not capable of creating a TLS 1.2 level crypto connection without hacks as I described. Since that would have the potential of getting people who don't understand computers intimately we won't be advising on such options. You are welcome to experiment at your own risk.

Our operating systems on our servers are fully compliant and supported if that's what you're asking. Unfortunately both sides of an SSL handshake have to be capable, so just our servers being at a good version doesn't do the job.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...