Gunney

Where has everyone gone?

On 12/20/2018 at 1:59 PM, Kyp said:

I should imagine the population count probably ties to the relatively dry atmosphere when it comes to the rains of content. Although, I'm setting up a bunch of changes to tools and we've been working on some other things that should go through in January sometime. We're breaking backs to get there, but I think it'll probably help to bring some life back.

Looking forward  to  it  !!

• Upvote 1

Hmm, 40 minutes to read this thread, Hmm..... Do I want to even want to play??

If the opinion of the player base is this negative, why should I want to even try to see what it's about.

This group of developers over the last 12 years has catered to many ideas, and have come up with many many ways to please the populous, yet we still find ways to complain to the Dev team for lack of support.

I for 1 want new visitors to read positive  reviews of the progress, and future options to come - regardless of the incompatibilities of an OS.

Choose your computer, but don't blame the people who make the game playable.

• Upvote 3

you read it all? I scrolled thru the posts more than 10 lines long, means a bitch session if more that 10 lines and of no interest to me. Good to see new content coming, should be interesting.

• Upvote 1

Seeing it is mostly down to microsoft on what they support these days.

U can't argue with any of the Dev;s or gm's about it.

Iff u don't like it send microsoft a letter and ask them to support stuff again..

People will come back with time. some people are just bored atm.

Keep up the good work Zackman and rest of the crew.

Oooh and have a nice Christmas.

• Upvote 1

Well I, for one, am still here.  You'll find me joining public raids, or in down times, camping for a rare glimpse of the Celestial Warder.

But on the subject of OS upgrades, has anyone tried EnB on Linux lately?  There's setup information elsewhere in the forums, so it at least worked in the past ...

• Upvote 1

All I know is my panties are free at OMP for 100,000 credits. Peel one off the dock wall after payment.

Edit-Anyone have a cucumber or carrot I can borrow? 

Edited by Thuvia
  • Upvote 1

On 12/22/2018 at 9:19 AM, Zarg said:

But on the subject of OS upgrades, has anyone tried EnB on Linux lately?  There's setup information elsewhere in the forums, so it at least worked in the past ...

Kind of getting off subject here, but I've been thinking of following that post you're referencing too and seeing how it goes. Send me a PM if you've already given it a whirl. It'd be nice to update/confirm it works and maybe put it on the wiki.

• Upvote 1

It can be done in Linux if you want to run an emulator for Windows services like Wine etc. We have a fork in our code base where we started to see about retrofitting toward a Linux server but ultimately there are parts of it we weren't for sure how to translate and the effort would only provide minimal improvement at best. Linux makes a hell of a web server and even some other things, but it's not the tool for every job.

That being said much like another post I made, we may provide thoughts, you might pique our curiosity and otherwise but when it comes to issues most of such would be on the person looking to toy with Linux since we've not tried it a huge amount ourselves from a play point of view.

Answer to Gunney's original question.  Life getting in the way, busy at work (coincidentally I work for the company in discussion thru this topic ;) ) and content.  Can only do the same stuff over and over so many times.  This isn't a dig at the DEVs (used to be one once upon a time here).  Games can get stale after while, so sometimes breaks are necessary.  I took a break came back to some new (old) stuff was finally added in and I played through that, did some raiding, hanging with people and once repetition kicked in again, kinda got dull so took a breather.  But mostly work life is the main reason I don't get on hardly ever.  I travel Sun-Thurs every week, and super busy road warrior.

Heck I even contemplated taking Kyp's offer and rejoining the DEV ranks.  But alas I'm not able to devote the time I'd want to.  I do hope others take up the offer and create new stuff.  Maybe little more down the road.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Hey folks, I took a bit of a leave of absence due to the destructive fires we had here in California. My in-laws lost their home and were staying in my game room/office for the past couple months, and only recently found a hotel to stay in until an apartment opens up. My wife also is 6 weeks pregnant! 

Anyways, you all will see my Beerdefender squad showing up again this week now that life is calmed down.

Beerrun you need to raise your newest little one as an explorer and they do all the mining for you 

• Upvote 2

the game is nearly 20 years old and mostly made up of people that have been playing it from the beginning so of course activity is gonna drop. of course it also tends to pick up at times but without new content (basically impossible) people are gonna get bored and take off for a while

• Upvote 1

<whew>  too much up there to really track.

There is and always has been competition from game creators for the attention of the game playing public.  This tends to siphon off a few existing players each quarter.

That said, Earth And Beyond emulator grows by offering something people want.

Elsewhere, I've been somewhat critical of the fundamental net-7.org website ... it lacks clear and obvious "how to get started" material -- a HUGE turnoff for newcomers.  Such a "getting started" page is where content/links to the basics should all be gathered together.  And that includes player generated content such as Magoo's technical post on how to set up your screen for easy multi-boxing, or a possible how to for running EnB under a Windows emulator on a Mac machine [and/or Linux machine] {along with the notice that this is NOT supported by the DEV team}.  {And a notice that Windows before version 7 is not supported because there is no required Secure Socket Layer update for such Windows versions as MicroSoft hasn't and won't be releasing any while SSL is required for safety reasons to access the servers.}

Lord knows that I'm not a webhead ... I'm decades out of date with web design tools.  So this will have to be for someone else to do -- and thank you in advance to the volunteer who does it.

I hope there's someone who does volunteer to do it ... the Net-7.org annual budget sure looks like (from the outside -- I'm not part of the DEV team) it is less than three thousand USD ... that doesn't allow paying for much beyond the basic server costs.

• Upvote 1

If someone wants to write up that clear concise guide for current operating systems, we'll put it up there. It's pretty easy. We rely on the pinned threads in tech support so we can post back if there are questions (and of course when we're available)