Open Discussion to EA about EnB

I know many have tried in the past, but since EA has added older legacy games to their vault collection on Origin (which I decided to subscribe to), I thought opening a dialogue with them to generate some interest in getting EnB onto Origin is worth a shot.

It's a long shot, and while I do appreciate all that the EnB emulator team has done, it would be awesome to have the real server open again! I also know that many people before me have tried to get EA to release the software to the public, or just open 1 server so people could continue to play EnB.

I came back recently, as I was bored of everything else out there. Mass Effect was the one game that kind of came the closest (that I have played, other than Eve), to the experience and joy I had playing EnB. I was that type of guildie that would pass out farming Tengu on my TE and wake up at my PC with a smoking hulk needing a jump start or tow back to base! And guildies would be like, oh Thentilian (although at the time my character was called something else) passed out at the keyboard again! Granted, not a healthy habit, but the game had me so hooked, I played way too much, and no other game has come along that I have enjoyed nearly as much as EnB.

Here is my post: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Access/Earth-and-Beyond/m-p/7115412/highlight/false#M6430 Maybe we can make enough noise for EA to listen now that it's been SO many years after the fact and they don't seem to plan on doing anything with the IP, they might just finally give in!

• Downvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you even think of talking to EA (Evil A-Holes) after all, they got all they wanted from the game and then left it for dead at the curb. I thank the people behind the EMU, they give a damn about this game!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 11:38 AM, kapla said:

Why would you even think of talking to EA (Evil A-Holes) after all, they got all they wanted from the game and then left it for dead at the curb. I thank the people behind the EMU, they give a damn about this game!

While I agree that I believe the EMU staff actually care about the game, it also worries me that with a decreasing player population all the eggs are still in one basket, so to speak.  At one point in time, very long ago, this project was going to be open source and free to the public so E&B would never die.  I was excited for that!  Somewhere along the line the development team decided to close it off and keep the server to themselves.  While this might have prevented prosecution from the aforementioned Evil A-holes, it doesn't really guarantee the survival of this awesome game.  At any moment the developers could simply "drop off the face of the Earth" and we will forever lose any ability to play the game we all cherish.

Edit:  Wow, I've been around since Net-7 pretty much started and this is the first time I've actually posted...  lol

Edited by ViperZeroOne
First Post?

• 1 month later...

Only thing EA should do is release the damn code so the EMU Devs wouldn't have to sidestep the hooks in the client with their proxy launcher.  Alas don't ever see it happening so we make do with what we got.  The legal giant sleeps, the game will never be its original potential as certain things are still missing to date, and of course there are certain things in EMU that weren't in LIVE.  I'd love to see some of the things missing return but pretty much given up hoping they do.  Because the EMU Devs are limited without being able to have full access.  Not their fault either just statement is all, they've done great work.

• Upvote 2

On 11/15/2018 at 11:16 PM, ViperZeroOne said:

While I agree that I believe the EMU staff actually care about the game, it also worries me that with a decreasing player population all the eggs are still in one basket, so to speak.  At one point in time, very long ago, this project was going to be open source and free to the public so E&B would never die.  I was excited for that!  Somewhere along the line the development team decided to close it off and keep the server to themselves.  While this might have prevented prosecution from the aforementioned Evil A-holes, it doesn't really guarantee the survival of this awesome game.  At any moment the developers could simply "drop off the face of the Earth" and we will forever lose any ability to play the game we all cherish.

Edit:  Wow, I've been around since Net-7 pretty much started and this is the first time I've actually posted...  lol

Nothing to do with EA, we (the board of directors for net-7) decided it was in our best interest to close source and approach it from the standpoint of eventually releasing clean binaries to others and reserving the source to people who would develop with us. The reason for it was mostly driven by some problems with ex-team members who were trusted being given access that allowed them to download code then they tried to fork everything to another site/another emulator etc. We didn't want that to kill the emulator.

We will eventually release some of this to the public as these binaries you can run but the reality is with the construction right now it wouldn't be easy for your average user to set this up. You need several servers to make things all work together how they are.

• Upvote 3

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Zackman said:

WTF....asking the worst game studio/publisher on the planet

There are way worst studio/publisher. The video Game Industry is vey talented at creating crummy fake game developpers who take poor souls money and never deliver anything

1 hour ago, Zackman said:

to bring back a game they once shove up our....is there ANY pride left in you guys.../sigh

Lack of comunication on your part ( not you the best serve guy we don't deserve) but the Board of directors of Net-7 lack of communication , goals , funding , update and work coming.

Net-7 emulator is a good law and realism case study.

- copyright should not be kept by people who decide to close there usage a payment plan or way to transfer it outside one entity to a working entity should be a legalised thing after 5 years of the end services.

- Satus Quo kill projects. There use to be a lot more activity both in the devlopment side and the player side.

One goal the EMU project should have as priority #1 is get the copyright liberated from EA.

for now we all have a damocles sword over all our collective head that can fall on it at any time and on the whim of people you just insulted

that at this moment in time don't even care or realise this project exist 

The game as been closed for almost 15 year now September 22, 2004 ... 

Thanks for the hard work you do Mr Zackman , but insulting EA  and the player community doesn't help. 

• 2 weeks later...