Steam: is it possible???

Well, you may have been asked this before and I may not have seen what was said, or replied... and this is just a suggestion so please don't tea-off on me for asking.  Would it be possible to see if Steam would be interested in EnB as a free game for..other players who never played this wonderful game??.  Please post no hate... I am only asking..thanks gang

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2018 at 5:39 PM, Cipher said:

No - the only way that the game could be put onto steam officially is if the original publisher (EA Games) submitted it.

I thought there was  a law on the books that after so much time the game couldbe used by others even for pay. Let me search for that again.

It was something like 10 years or so.

here is an older posting but will keep looking.

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2015/04/20/the-abandonware-conundrum/id=56990/

Edited by Wizo

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2018 at 8:22 PM, Wizo said:

I thought there was  a law on the books that after so much time the game couldbe used by others even for pay. Let me search for that again.

It was something like 10 years or so.

here is an older posting but will keep looking.

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2015/04/20/the-abandonware-conundrum/id=56990/

i don't claim to know much about anything but i do know one of the big problems is trademarks and last i heard EA is still renewing them even on old games like enb. supposedly other space games couldn't even implement basic emotes like a barrel roll because EA trademarked them with enb. not sure if that bit is still true as they've likely dropped some but i'd say it's safe to assume there's still plenty bits and pieces they have renewed. why would they keep renewing trade marks from old games? reboots is the move obvious answer but also because some pieces like the emotes could still be useful for future games. of course those trademarks can also generate revenue from other companies 

Trademarks are I believe expired but copyright in a work for hire is for release + 95 years, so they have rights for that long should they choose to exercise them unless we were able to purchase them, otherwise we rely on their goodwill to continue to develop things and change things for the game.

• 2 months later...

I play in a different fan-created server of an OLD online game, and they acquired the rights from the original owner, and got everything together enough to get listed on Steam. I honestly don't know if it was worth the effort.

Yes, there was a FLOOD of new players. Hundreds, maybe even a thousand or more, new accounts created in the few months since steam launch. The vast majority had one quick look around and were never seen again. A tiny handful, maybe 20-ish, have actually stuck around for more than a month. Easily three or four times that number were simply trolls, that only logged in to harass other players and spew vulgarity.

• 1 month later...

no, once again, as many times before, EA will not sell nor open-source EnB, because they still are clinging greedily onto other old, dead, games that use parts of the same code as in EnB:  command & conquer generals, Sims, SIms 2, maybe others.