Conflict between game and Net7 causes gate disconnects

Gating disconnects are much more common when certain Net7 panels are open.  I and others have had successive disconnections when trying to gate.  After closing certain open Net7 panels, the gate disconnects disappeared.  The panels are:

A character panel of the Avatars menu

Character panel  of the Avatar Planner

I have not tried to turn gate crashes on and off by opening and closing these panels, but have seen crashing disappear when these panels were open and I closed them.  So have other players.

So that there is no confusion, you using your smart-phone while driving spaceship and you wonder why you crash to the gate?

In all seriousness, I don't think it has anything to do with web page being open.

Portal does have periodic ping to update online players count and unread mail, but thats it. There is no other activity on the page.

I suggest that you test this yourself.  Several people have complained in game chat about getting frequently disconnected, and I have suggested in game chat that they close their browser windows.  It did seem to work - I asked several minutes later and their problem had cleared up.

It does not really make sense -- why should the browser lock up data entries for the game, after all?  Or cause delays in communication?  But waving this particular rubber chicken over a disconnecting game does appear to fix the problem.   To be exact and clear, Portal in general does not cause a problem - I have it open all the time.  But closing certain pages of the portal does seem to help, specificly the ones that reference and display character information.

As for ship animations, we almost all have them turned off - that's a known problem.

I ran a test, porting repeatedly (10 times each) with different portal windows open and with a combination of windows open (5 tests).  I also ran two controls, one with my browser closed and one with the browser open and portal windows open (but not the ones I thought were a problem).

I did not see any pattern of increased disconnection with portal windows open: I got one disconnect, basically random noise.  Just having them open does not cause increased disconnects, at least under the tested conditions. 

However, several of us have been seeing a situation where we are repeatedly disconnected when we try to port.  When that happens, closing certain Portal windows does make it go away (verified n=4).  This really is in waving a rubber chicken territory,  I haven't a clue why the repeated disconnects might be happening, nor why closing Portal windows helps.   You might as well close this.

I use multiple computers and have multiple portal pages, EnB maps, the forums and multiple wiki pages open on each computer,  and rarely have issues  but i usually have the main portal page at the home page unless i am looking up a character. but i also don't play the character on the same computer as the portal pages for that character (this allows looking up things with out having to hid the game window with a open browser page) 

i do occasionally have disconnects at random gates but usually if i have been on for several hours especially during trade runs,

Woodstock DGM