E&B Config disappears

Further info:

I completely disabled UAC and it now installed without any problems.. this is strange, as "Run as Administrator" should work fine. Can you guys fix that so the users don't have to completely disable UAC?

However, we now go back to the original problems:

1. E&B Config won't run at all.. even when running as admin. And the Event Viewer shows the following:

=================================================================================================
Faulting application name: E&BConfig.exe, version: 1.0.0.3, time stamp: 0x3d754f52
Faulting module name: E&BConfig.exe, version: 1.0.0.3, time stamp: 0x3d754f52
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00120b58
Faulting process id: 0x1cf0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d417479ac7600e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\E&BConfig.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\E&BConfig.exe
Report Id: 67c3f756-dac7-428f-8f7b-c253822bdf5f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
=================================================================================================

2. Trying to play the game still results in the following error message:

PlayError.PNG.68fe14ad11b45e084a55387136d20a2a.PNG

And note that the whole time, both UAC and Windows Defender are disabled AND I am running as admin user.... so... go figure...

E&B Config generally needs to have it's compatibility mode set to around Windows XP SP2 for it to run on W8 or later.

To change the Compatibility mode for E&B Config:

• Right click the file
  • Click Properties
  • Open the Compatibility tab
  • Ensure that 'Run this program in compatibility mode' is checked
  • Select Windows XP SP2 if available, or Windows Vista if WinXP is not available.

I have a few other questions:

• What is the hostname shown in the Server Host field on the launcher? It should be sunrise.net-7.org
  • Does the Launcher show you how many players are online under the Host dropdown?
  • Have you verified that your local IP is still correct in the Launcher after reinstalling?

As a side note, I would recommend running the Windows System File Checker:

• Open the Command Prompt w/ Administrator privileges
  • Run "sfc /scannow"

@Cipher thanks for your reply. As per my original post in this thread, I did set compatibility mode to XP with Service Pack 3.. and what happened was it shows up for about a half a second and then disappears. I just tried with compatibility mode set to XP SP2 instead and same thing yet again. To answer your other questions:

- sunrise.net-7.org  is indeed the host name I am attempting to connect to.
- Yes, it shows the number of players currently online
- Yes, what is shown in "Local IP" is correct

FYI - This is not the first time I have played the ENB emulator. I played it for about a year or so and had no problems. I even installed ENB and the NET-7 launcher multiple times before (after wiping my hard drive to do a complete reinstall). I am not a total noob to this and I am telling you guys something is not right here... this is not one of the normal, easy to solve issues.

And as for Windows System File Checker, I really don't see what good that will do. Look guys, I have told you before that I have installed this on 2 different machines with the exact same results. Something is amiss. If you guys have no clue, I understand... debugging issues like this can be a nuisance, especially when you can't reproduce the problem yourself. Perhaps @Kyp you might wish to have a remote viewing session with TeamViewer at some point. Then you can look at my machine for yourself and help determine what the problem is. I'm in Australia though, so we'd need to organize a time convenient to us both.

13 hours ago, Xiaolinmantis said:

@Cipher thanks for your reply. As per my original post in this thread, I did set compatibility mode to XP with Service Pack 3.. and what happened was it shows up for about a half a second and then disappears. I just tried with compatibility mode set to XP SP2 instead and same thing yet again. To answer your other questions:

- sunrise.net-7.org  is indeed the host name I am attempting to connect to.
- Yes, it shows the number of players currently online
- Yes, what is shown in "Local IP" is correct

FYI - This is not the first time I have played the ENB emulator. I played it for about a year or so and had no problems. I even installed ENB and the NET-7 launcher multiple times before (after wiping my hard drive to do a complete reinstall). I am not a total noob to this and I am telling you guys something is not right here... this is not one of the normal, easy to solve issues.

And as for Windows System File Checker, I really don't see what good that will do. Look guys, I have told you before that I have installed this on 2 different machines with the exact same results. Something is amiss. If you guys have no clue, I understand... debugging issues like this can be a nuisance, especially when you can't reproduce the problem yourself. Perhaps @Kyp you might wish to have a remote viewing session with TeamViewer at some point. Then you can look at my machine for yourself and help determine what the problem is. I'm in Australia though, so we'd need to organize a time convenient to us both.

My apologies, I was in a bit of a hurry when I saw this thread was updated and didn't have time to properly read through the thread before responding.

Some research shows that exceptions / access violations being thrown directly from wkscli are actually quite rare, but can be caused by Explorer Shell Extensions (you can use ShellExView to see what extensions are enabled) or from security software (Antivirus/malware/etc), which you have stated is disabled.

The fault offset from the E&BConfig error leads us into the _output subroutine of the *printf functions and can't really be used to diagnose the problem without a call stack or trace. (Note that E&BConfig is the original config tool that released with the game, we have no part in creating it and no access to the source code)

You seem to have indicated that this happens for you even if you try installing/running on a clean Windows installation?

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting and yes Cipher's got a point. I haven't ever installed it on a non-home system. I have visual studio and run it as well, as does Cipher and some others but it was a thought. I've seen it come up. I have never seen enb_up.exe fail though. THat was a delta installer done before even my time here to bring the game files up to date w/ the sunset and we went from there to patch all of the content we have so far added into the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed in an earlier post you have the problem on an ROG setup mine is also a ROG laptop after getting it up and running it is now not working  again, no problems on any other machine.  need a way bigger brain than I have though.

• 2 weeks later...

@Cipher / @Kyp Guys, please ignore the enb_up.exe thing, that was a side issue and one that I solved... please focus on the main issue here: I cannot login with the Net7 client at all. @Stranks99 may be onto something though... both of my machines are ASUS (both laptop and desktop) and he is having the same problem on his own ASUS ROG laptop. Coincidence? What can we do to get to the bottom of this? I haven't played in abouta year and a half, maybe more... getting withdrawal symptoms here LOL. By the way, you don't delete our avatars after a couple years do you? I'd hate to see all my stuff gone.

Haven't removed any player data since the final wipe in 2012.

What version is the net7 client when you try to log in? If you tell it to reset the patches does it download again and what's the behavior after that? (reset patch data is in the launcher menu, top left)

I don't have any ASUS systems or hardware, nor do I have any software from them installed.

Unfortunately it is difficult to identify/resolve conflicts caused by random software; and I do think that it would be strange for your problem to be caused by ASUS software since you did say that it still doesn't work on a clean install (assuming you tried before installing ASUS software).

What software from ASUS do you currently have installed on the system(s) experiencing problems?

• 2 weeks later...

@Cipher, thanks... but I'm quite sure it's not ASUS software... this is because my desktop doesn't have any ASUS software on at all (only hardware) and my laptop (an ASUS ROG) does have some ASUS software, but it's highly unlikely to be causing issues. Here's what's installed on the laptop:

ASUS GIFTBOX

ASUS HiPost

ASUS Input Configuration

ASUS Live Update

ASUS PTP Driver

ASUS Sonic Suite Plugins

ASUS Splendid Video Enhancement Technology

ASUS USB Charger Plus

Now I could waste my time by reinstalling without all the above, but I'm 99% sure it won't help, since my desktop has the exact same issue with a clean install and without any of that stuff.

There must be some diagnostic tools or something that I can use to help me determine what the issue is. I did say in a previous post that I am happy if one of the developers wants to remote view my machine and attempt to find out more that way. Otherwise, give me some instructions... tell me what I can provide you with to diagnose this. PLEASE!

Thanks

When you are 'running as admin' are you just right clicking and using that or is it actually set to 'run as admin' from the primary file? I ran into this issue in previous installs of Win10 because I was only trying to run it as admin from the shortcut. Once I changed it in the file C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG. Bring your compatability down to Win XP SP 2, then hit advanced, check the box to run in admin mode save and then give it a shot. 

That is how I 'fixed' my issue when it occured and it's worked. 

4 hours ago, alurra said:

When you are 'running as admin' are you just right clicking and using that or is it actually set to 'run as admin' from the primary file? I ran into this issue in previous installs of Win10 because I was only trying to run it as admin from the shortcut. Once I changed it in the file C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG. Bring your compatability down to Win XP SP 2, then hit advanced, check the box to run in admin mode save and then give it a shot. 

That is how I 'fixed' my issue when it occured and it's worked. 

OMG I feel like I'm talking in circles about this issue - it's like nobody is actually listening and keeps bringing up the same points again and again. Firstly, the config is a secondary issue... yes, it doesn't work and I have tried everything you've said and it doesn't work.. but the PRIMARY ISSUE here is the game itself won't launch!!! This is driving me nuts... come on devs, throw me a bone and give me instructions on how to diagnose this, so I can put further info here for you. As previously mentioned, I am a developer myself by trade (web developer, not game developer).. so just tell me what to do to help you help me. Come on guys, please don't ignore this issue or keep talking in circles.

23 hours ago, Xiaolinmantis said:

OMG I feel like I'm talking in circles about this issue - it's like nobody is actually listening and keeps bringing up the same points again and again. Firstly, the config is a secondary issue... yes, it doesn't work and I have tried everything you've said and it doesn't work.. but the PRIMARY ISSUE here is the game itself won't launch!!! This is driving me nuts... come on devs, throw me a bone and give me instructions on how to diagnose this, so I can put further info here for you. As previously mentioned, I am a developer myself by trade (web developer, not game developer).. so just tell me what to do to help you help me. Come on guys, please don't ignore this issue or keep talking in circles.

Yeah, you're welcome. Just trying to help you help yourself. 

9 hours ago, Xiaolinmantis said:

Neither the game itself nor the config will run. I think it's fair to assume it's likely the same issue affecting both.

So if they are both affected then fixing one will fix the other by virtue of your own admission.

You, yourself have admitted that you can't run the game on either machine. You said it's not software, nor is it hardware, many other folks play without issue, so it's not server side. If only you are having this issue, the circle flows right back to your systems. Nobody but you has access to those systems and the symptoms you describe are fixed by following all of the advice posted on this thread. 

Have you looked at your default settings for your video card? Maybe you have the settings maxxed out causing this old as dirt game to crash? 

Take a look at your systems, in other words. What is there that can stop a game from running properly? You're a developer, how would you troubleshoot some random persons computer that won't play your inserted 'flash' video?

What's with the hostility? My frustration stems from the fact that the same suggestions are presented to me again and again. Please don't misunderstand me; I am very thankful for your wanting to help, really I am. But every new person on this thread doesn't seem to have taken the time to read the whole thread and poses the same questions and possible fixes. It's frustrating.

I don't know why you think I'm saying it's not my system. Of course it's my system. Obviously... I even suggested it's probably because I am running ASUS here. Did you take the time to read the posts where I said I have run this game before many times? I have installed it on a couple different machines over the years and never had any issues. Now both my desktop and laptop are ASUS hardware and having the exact same issue. So again - of course it's my side. For crying out loud man.... all I said is it's likely NOT the software (probably the hardware) because the desktop has no ASUS software - but both desktop and laptop have ASUS hardware.

As for troubleshooting a random person's machine that won't work, I already stated a couple of times that I am willing to let one of the devs remote view my machine (this is the 3rd time now) and if they don't want to do that, then perhaps send me some instructions on what I can do myself here to acquire further info. For example: perhaps they have some custom diagnostic tools they run on their own systems or know of a 3rd party one.. whatever... they can suggest it to me and tell me to run XYZ to get some logs to send back to them to look at. I don't know exactly what, but there has to be something... but of course I am just 1 guy... as long as everyone else is running the game fine, stuff me I suppose. Look, I can understand that point of view to be honest, you guys are doing this for free in your spare time, so you don't owe me anything. I get it. But if there's anything you can do to help, I would be sincerely grateful. I'm in no rush, so take your time.

But if 1 more person asks me if I am running as administrator or if I remembered to set compatibility mode to XP, I am going to go mental... it's getting very tiring now.

We don't generally remote to other people's machines to do support. I don't ask the developers to do this, if they choose to do so of their own accord then that's fine. There isn't really that much in the way of logging beyond symptoms because most of the issues connecting center around missing certificates or old versions of the pieces and parts since they aren't always backward compatible (for good reason)

I get frustrations but it's not going to help you solve the problem -- as it almost never does, neither in development or operating servers and systems, it makes you make spurious configuration changes that amount to a hill of beans.

My most common experience has been conflict among redistributables and the like that I have installed for various projects. So that said, separate the 2 issues, even if you believe they are linked as this is the first rule of troubleshooting, break down the problems into the most simple pieces and diagnose those.

So which is more important to solve first, getting into the game or the config? They are two different executables and one not launching or the other not launching will not affect each other. All the configuration utility (either the original or the fan-made one) just tweak registry settings and nothing more.

We'll start with the game because I assume that's more critical to you like it is to most. The message you displayed at the top of page 2 for this indicates you are experiencing a socket timeout, which is either a firewall or some other utility stopping it from connecting.

1) Can you resolve 'sunrise.net-7.org' in DNS?

2) Can you ping the same domain from #1 (i.e. do you get response traffic)

3) What antivirus tools or software is currently running on each system? Do you have a hardware firewall or does your router/switch/network gear have any in-built firewall?

I would also submit to you to verify if you do have any antivirus tools running -- for example Avast -- that you ensure that our software directories on your system have exceptions defined, mainly because our software is not signed and currently these applications tend to have habits of blocking our executables by default as a result.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I never did figure out WTF was wrong.. but recently I was forced to do a complete hard drive wipe and start fresh due to various problems on my system. And I decided to try install E&B again, just to see if it would work now... and what a pleasant surprise - it does! I didn't even have to do anything special - I simply did a default installation of the game and NET-7 client and voila! I suspect it may have been something to do with ASUS software, as I mentioned in a previous post here..  because this time I did not install anything ASUS-related on my desktop and it's fine... On the other hand, my laptop (which is also ASUS and still has the default ASUS software installed on it) is still experiencing the issues discussed in this thread.

So yeah, if anyone with an ASUS machine and software experiences the same thing, try formatting your hard drive and having a clean setup without ASUS software. Not 100% sure if that's the cause, but it's the only thing I could think of.

I've been playing since yesterday.. it's good to be back, FINALLY!