E&B Config disappears

Hi Guys,

A couple of months ago I requested some help, here:

It was answered and closed rather rudely. I couldn't figure out what to do at the time and got busy, so just ignored it. I am again trying to get back into ENB and this time from a new laptop.. but I have the exact same problem.

Regarding the issue with E&BConfig, I searched your forums and found that I should set Compatibility Mode to "Windows XP SP3" and have done so. I then run it in admin mode as well. What happens is that it shows up for about a half a second and then disappears. When I look at the Event Viewer, I see this error:

Faulting application name: E&BConfig.exe, version: 1.0.0.3, time stamp: 0x3d754f52
Faulting module name: E&BConfig.exe, version: 1.0.0.3, time stamp: 0x3d754f52
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00120b58
Faulting process id: 0x2390
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3792a1fb9032d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\E&BConfig.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\E&BConfig.exe
Report Id: 714d47d6-2ed5-45ad-bd14-dec7f5eb816b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Luckily the main problem is gone now - I can login without any issue... but the game window is too small and I need E&BConfig to work to change the settings. Any help would be most appreciated. Please don't just close the issue again without first checking that it has been solved. Thanks.

Did you try running net-7config.exe?

It's either in the same folder or in the net-7 folder under program files.

And set it to run as admin and set compatability to windows xp service pack 3

At least thats how mine is set and it works

55 minutes ago, stevinium said:

Did you try running net-7config.exe?

It's either in the same folder or in the net-7 folder under program files.

And set it to run as admin and set compatability to windows xp service pack 3

At least thats how mine is set and it works

Thanks for the response. However, I cannot find any such .exe in the Net-7 installation directory (or any sub-directories), which for me is as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Net-7

Try using the ENB config program  location C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\E&Bconfig

run this file as administrator and also run the test when you select the resolution you desire, or it wont set it.

Woodstock  (DGM)

1 hour ago, Woodstock DGM said:

Try using the ENB config program  location C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\E&Bconfig

run this file as administrator and also run the test when you select the resolution you desire, or it wont set it.

Woodstock  (DGM)

Hi Woodstock, I appreciate the response, but that exe is exactly the one my original post was about... when I run it (as admin), it appears for about a half a second and then disappears. When I open the Event Viewer, I can see the error message that I pasted above in the original post.

17 minutes ago, Woodstock DGM said:

go to your anti virus program settings and make the enb config program a exception  so that the anti virus will ignore it, 

I had already disabled the anti-virus and that didn't work. So now I decided to just remove it completely (as this new laptop came with McAfee and I don't like it anyway). It's still the same issue happening.

3 minutes ago, Woodstock DGM said:

Mcafee ate my whole enb install once

Yeah, McAfee blows - even the UI is not very intuitive. Anyway, it's totally removed now, as I said. Also, I added the exclusion to Windows Defender now and still the same crap.. so I don't know what's going on here. Is there any other data logged somewhere that I can paste here which might help you guys figure out what the problem is?

6 minutes ago, Woodstock DGM said:

may be posting in the bug tracker here on the forums so the devs can possibly help you.

Oh right. I thought this, "Technical Support" forum was the right place. I see a link at the top titled, "GM Ticket System". Is that what you are referring to? I'll go open a ticket now then I guess and point them to this thread. When I have the solution, I will post back here in case someone else gets the same problem as me in future.

1 minute ago, Woodstock DGM said:

no not gm ticket system,  that goes to me, not the devs,  the bug tracker tab near top pf page here in the forums

Oops, I already submitted the ticket. Sorry about that - don't know how I missed the "Bug Tracker" tab! LOL. Should I see if I can cancel the ticket and create it in the bug tracker instead?

• 5 months later...

Yes, this sounds like a conflict over the file with antivirus suites; however just to be clear, we do NOT recommend turning them off any more than temporarily as a troubleshooting issue unless you are an experienced user and are willing to accept the risk of getting viruses / have your own backup strategy.

I would make sure any files you're trying to run from are excluded in your chosen suite, I also would choose one or the other if you've got both McAfee and Windows Defender running as they are competing over the same files to determine if they're "safe".

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 9:27 AM, Stranks99 said:

Did you resolve this issue I had same prob.  in windows defender I turned off the check apps and files and it fixed it for me remember to turn back on after though

No, I never did resolve this. I just checked my Windows Defender and I also have "Check apps  and files" turned off, but same problem

@Kyp, I don't have any antivirus software other than Windows Defender and I don't know what to do here... still can't get on after more than half a year... is there some info I can post here to help you diagnose the issue?

Edited by Xiaolinmantis

I would also like to note: this is on both of my computers - both of which have Windows 10 .. one is an ASUS ROG gaming laptop and the other a gaming desktop.. both only have Windows Defender for antivirus (no McAfee or other alternatives) and BOTH have "Check apps and files" off.

• 2 weeks later...

So to be clear you're launching one of the config programs, and either one of them is crashing? Is your account an administrator on the local PC? These tools are very old and do things that modern security isn't a fan of (read: setting registry keys)

If this message is still the same:

Faulting application name: E&BConfig.exe, version: 1.0.0.3, time stamp: 0x3d754f52
Faulting module name: E&BConfig.exe, version: 1.0.0.3, time stamp: 0x3d754f52
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00120b58
Faulting process id: 0x2390
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3792a1fb9032d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\E&BConfig.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\E&BConfig.exe
Report Id: 714d47d6-2ed5-45ad-bd14-dec7f5eb816b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Then the exception code means it is an Access Violation, i.e. the program is trying to write to protected or unmapped areas of memory. This still suggests that security software is involved. Are you certain these are the only two things you are running? (in short, this type of error is triggered at the processor level when code tries to execute in a bad place, in this case triggering WER/JIT debugging.)

Did you do any customization to these executables? Have you already tried reinstalling the game and the Net-7 client while you've got your antivirus disabled? You're certain all of the paths are on the Windows Defender exception list? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028485/windows-10-add-an-exclusion-to-windows-defender-antivirus

Thanks for the response, @Kyp. If you look at the original question (which was closed in a rather impolite manner), you will notice that it's not just the E&B Config which has a problem, but the game itself. Original issue here: https://forum.enb-emulator.com/index.php?/topic/12157-server-failed-to-respond-to-login-attempt/

You mentioned JIT debugging, that makes me wonder if it has anything to do with my Visual Studio installation and whatever related configuration changes it may have made. I have that installed, as I too am a software developer by trade. I wouldn't have thought that would cause an issue though and I know I had E&B and Visual Studio running together just fine in the past (on an older laptop with Windows 8). Is there anything I need to configure to prevent JIT debugging being triggered?

To answer your questions:

- No, I have not customized anything
- I can't remember for 100% certain, but I think I did try reinstalling again at the time. But one thing I definitely did was install on a second machine.. but got the same result.
- As for paths in the Windows Defender list, I may not have added that to the exceptions.

Later today, after work, I will try a reinstall first (with Windows Defender turned off) and then also add the paths to the exceptions list and try again. If that fails, is there some install log or other error log I can post here that can help you diagnose this?

NOTE: Just before posting this, I looked back at my original question and I noticed that at that time I did have AVG. I can tell you that is no longer the case - I only have Windows Defender. However, the error from Event Viewer obviously no longer applies - it could very well have been something to do with AVG at that time. But that doesn't explain why it's still not working.

Edited by Xiaolinmantis

Hi again,

I have some more info for you...

I have just done the following:

- Uninstalled Net-7
- Uninstalled ENB
- Restarted System
- Disabled Windows Defender (switch off real time protection)
- Installed ENB
- Installed Net-7

Everything was going fine until the Net-7 installer tried to run the patch (enb_up.exe). Here's a screenshot:

Error.thumb.PNG.b2e9cf66659df0b6a7ad0c76543842c0.PNG

And note, I am an admin user and yes, I did select "Run as Administrator"

And not sure if this helps, but I got a little more info as well by choosing to Debug it, it gave me the exception code and says it's an access violation in wkscli.dll. See screenshot:

DebugError.thumb.PNG.afc0ddf0607624b9881d208169a9cca8.PNG

I hope this helps diagnose the problem.