Server Failed to respond to Login attempt

Hi all, I have been gone for a long time and now trying to get back into the game. I installed everything, but I have a couple of issues:

1. When clicking the "Play" button from the Net-7 launcher, I get this error: "Server Failed to respond to Login attempt"

2. I can't bring up the E&B Config tool - either from the Net-7 launcher's Tools menu or even directly from C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Earth & Beyond\EBCONFIG\E&BConfig.exe. Even when I run that as Administrator, nothing happens... well, the mouse cursor shows it's loading for a few moments and then goes back to normal with nothing else happening.

I did disable my anti-virus (AVG) in case it was that, but it didn't work. Also note I used the installer I had saved from last year... but I figure there's no issue with that, right? Since it just updated itself to the latest anyway.

Is there now some extra step involved that I am unaware or what could be happening here?

There a gazillion threads in the tech board reagrding this issue, no need for a new thread everytime some1 doesnt read the very detailed installation guides...