Server stops sending UDP?

So I've tried the network adapter config items, changed my switch, updated the router, disabled everything I could think of on the router.  The router I know used to play just fine, swapped the newer switch out the with the switch I used to play with, still no luck.  After a few minutes of playing the game will just stop respond to 2 or 3 of my boxes.  Wireshark shows that I just stop receiving UDP packets to 2 or 3 of my IP's from the server.  Is this a server side issue? I can tell that I'm still sending packets to the server and it receives them since when one client maintains the connection it will show my other characters moving around and stuff.

To be clear, we don't really offer support on multiboxing. The server is trying to send packets back and forth to unique game IDs/Player IDs. I might suggest uploading the pcap for inspection but it sounds like your conversation is being terminated. Unfortunately with UDP there's no guarantee of packets, just the nature of the beast.

As a programmer that's the most bullshit answer I've ever heard for why a connection is interrupted.  I multiboxed when the game was live and didn't have any issues, lots of people played together in the same house and didn't have issues.  We play tons of games new and old and don't have issues.  Guess I'll stop playing this one again, likely why I stopped the last time.

*shrug* Your call.

Long term, I chose not to support this for issues a long time ago. We don't forbid it, but we don't come up with a how-to either. That's on you, can ask peers and learn how to do it easier if you aren't sure how to do it yourself.

UDP is by its very nature fire and forget if that was in doubt. The client communicates with us through the net7proxy, the communication had to be UDP. If anything stops the packet or for some reason it fails to transmit it is what it is. It was not really designed with multi-boxing in mind.

I do recall when I multiboxed in live, I had to do some trickery with the game client or it gave me some message about the client already running.

Either way, in the end it is up to you. :)

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Farrawway said:

client doesn't complain at all since I'm running it on multiple PC's, I don't run multiple clients on one pc.  The fact that different computers don't get responses from the server, is a server issue, not a client issue.

Might be your router. Most of them use liberal interpretation what to do with UDP

What might be an Issue is the setup of your homenetwork.

As Kyp said correctly: UDB is a beast with some known limitations. One of it is there is no Error correction build in in this protocol.

This can give some problems if you use Switch or AP in AP mode or even a hub, but they are ancient haha.

You can try to connect the pc's to your router directly (or at least one of them)

The reason this might be helping, is that a switch tends to Broadcast udp packets. Since 2 Devices are listening, things might go haywire in the udp stream.

I hope it helps.

Fly Safe !

Edit:

Or to troubleshoot, you can try to multibox on the same client, just to see if that is working stable.

Edited by Gwindor
Added a Troubleshoot step.