Model Extraction

if you've got the models in blender, or some other 3D modeling program, then you should be able to load up the original textures on them, and add details to the actual mesh to represent the details on the textures. This could help you in painting or using different colors in your 3D printer?  At this point in computing, these EnB models are all very low polycount, and any 3D printer should be able to handle slightly higher polycounts from you just editing the mesh manually.

• 1 month later...

i've pondered doing that actually, but it's still a bit beyond my skillset at the moment.

the textures themselves don't seem to have a whole lot of identifiable functional patterns  . (other than panels/armor and stuff that looks like exhaust ports)

been eyeballing blender's discombobulator, looks to be an easy way to recreate scifi spacecraft hull panels and the like.

YT

• 1 month later...

Alurra (and possibly others)

been pondering getting a 3D printer like the Prusa i3 MK3S, seems a tad expensive, but it feels better to me then getting a cloned version of it, or a cheap one to start out with. not afraid of a little construction-work that comes with a complete kit, and not a fan of getting separate components (like you would building a PC)

i realize the thing would probably have zero pratical use beyond printing stuff for fun, but creating stuff in a 3D program and then printing that just seems really appealing.

i think i prolly will need to set up the thing in the basement, or at work in order to find a safe place for it. (am thinking you'd never let these things run un-attended)

any thoughts appreciated,

I just got an Creality Ender 3 3D Printer  from eBay... Have not opened it yet as I need to clean my work bench.  From what I have seen it is cheaper to upgrade the 3 with the addons you want rather than spend the extra cash for the Creality Ender 3 3D Pro Printer 

Look for someone who will accept make an offer, check for the lowest price you can find and bit a tad under that.  

Pretty cool that I can CnC as well as laser engrave.

P.S.  Pull the trigger fast... it seems prices will be going up soonish with the new trade talks coming to a close.. +25% passed to you.

Oh...I got mine for < 180.00 with shipping.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Did my 1st print of EnB Progen Sentinel (Parts).  Came out tiny very very tiny.  Did another print @ 165%. A better size but it seems the game world 3D is not the same as real world 3D.  Support added but as soon as I removed them the part came apart.  I will need to modify the STL files I made to strengthen the supports and add some that don't exist.    So...anyone know how to un-group the parts? Will edit with Blender and or Meshmixer.

Thanks in advance

Mim

could propably separate em into parts Mim,

dont have a max-level Sentinel though, so some pics for reference would be nice, see below. not sure what to do with the arms

did you get the above mentioned snapmaker in the end?

Sentinel.jpg

Edited by TempestNWK
screenshot added

No, bid on an Ender 3 on e-Bay.  Got it cheap and mostly regretted getting a used/discounted printer.  GREAT learning experience so <$200 and able to print was worth the "class" in 3D printing. Tried to upload pics but seems I am limited??? Hey boss up my limit please. :)  Started to save change and LMAO winning loto tickets to get a snapmaker .

those wings/solar-sail panels look quite challenging

:EDIT:

for those wanting to get into Blender, it recently received fairly substantial upgrade to ver.2.8 

Edited by TempestNWK

..if your parts are 'coming apart' once you've removed supports ensure that your parts are considered 'water tight' ... even on a preview it might appear solid when in fact it's not actually connected...this can happen frequently when the parts are quite small that you can't/don't see a non connected mesh

Thanks.... exactly my issue. 

A new problem is that one of the lower wings on latest print showed up about 25% smaller than the other.  Looked good in Cura, looked good in Meshlab but printed stunted.  I am going to try to rip apart and only print that one over.  Good times.  Think my next printer will be SLA.  print the whole thing at one small time.

TempestNWK thank you for the video tutorial.

• Upvote 1

the geometry for the wings isn't manifold/airtight ( i could lift individual faces  )

attempted a quick fix, if you are willing to have a look (just removed vertex doubles)

the spikey bits trailing the wings are just 2 faces and not actual geometry, those would take a bit more work, but looks like you didnt include em either

mimwings.blend

Thanks much...Had a brain fart and with the tutorial (you provided) I combined all parts in Blender. Doing a 17 hour print now.  Or possibly not if the supports turn out as fragile as they look.  Will keep you posted.

Mim

------------------Edit --------------------

Annnnd the supports didn't keep the print up.  Back to the drawing board

• Upvote 1

Is there any demand for uploads of the STL files of ships?  I have two so far.  I would be happy to share.  I'm currently printing my PS in High resolution. It will be tomorrow before it is done so will post pics. It has been a journey.  So Kyp? an area for EnB related 3D models? 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen good things about that one.  I think the support is the best in the industry.  But...I would suggest you look into their Facebook pages and see what other users have experienced with that printer or other older Prusa models.  Good luck and try to remember it is a new-ish   industry so tinkering might be needed. Just this morning I had my BLTouch get stuck in the triggered position.  Took me a long bit to find it, after un-plugging and re-plugging stepper motor cables.  A search through my junk bin to replace the controller board. I finally found it and am printing again. ....

Off topic: Taking a break on the PS print.  More on that fiasco later.