EnB Combat Revamp

Below are suggestions for a revamp for how bosses and raid bosses currently work, this is actually the system I was working on back when I was working on the Emu when I was working on mob loot and raid code integration. The idea is to reward players for taking part in combat in the game and to help reduce unhealthy behavior (such as spending several hours staring at a screen waiting for a mob to spawn or people trying to monopolize content). The objectives are:-

• Fix boss spawns to operate like live

• Fix XP hourly rates

• Integrate a fairer raid system

Boss Spawns

• Bosses will spawn based on kill rate. Each mob spawn group which has a boss will have a timer and a counter, When a mob is killed a timer will will countdown, the next mob group to spawn needs to be killed before the timer expires. Successfully killing it resets the timer and adds ‘1’ to the counter, failing to kill it drops the counter by ‘1’. As the counter increases, mob difficulty increases, this also gives an indicator to the player that the spawn is progressing, for example in Cooper this was indicated by Tengu CL levels increasing and the vicious variants beginning to spawn. Once the counter hits the threshold the boss mob for the group will spawn and the counter will be reset to zero. (Almost all major bosses in Live worked like this, including the DT and Mordana raids). The threshold for spawning a boss, assuming you maintain the kill rate, should take around 20-30 minutes to hit, so a casual player can happily get in game and feel they have achieved something.

• Some bosses could still have a caveat where they spawn after a certain amount of time to still give players the adrenaline rush of seeing a boss mob has spawned as they warp past, for the Warder and Modi’s Child.

Boss XP

• In order to make combat as rewarding and competitive as ‘jobbing’, boss mobs will have a modifier on their XP (similar to the asteroid field clearing bonus). This will be effectively an additional reward to getting the boss to spawn. The idea is that killing mobs and killing the boss should supply the same ammount of XP as jobbing in that time would. Currently it is faster to level combat doing explore/trade jobs using spillover XP! By adding ‘boss xp’ player will be more likely to farm mobs and maybe even meet other players instead of just seeing them at job terminals.

Raid Triggers

To remove the gated content such as the long timers on raids, all raids will now require a trigger mission to be completed spawn, there will be a few components required:-

• Raid Tokens - All bosses in the game will drop raid tokens, the higher level the mob, the more tokens it drops (to prevent people just farming lower level mobs). These will be required to create all raid triggers. The number required could vary per raid, somewhere between 10-20 seems reasonable and attainable after a few hours of farming for bosses. For example:- lvl 1-10 bosses (1 token), lvl 11-20 bosses (2 tokens), lvl 21-30 bosses (3 tokens), lvl 31-40 bosses (4 tokens), lvl 41-50 bosses (5 tokens), lvl 51-60 bosses (6 tokens), lvl 61= bosses (7 tokens)

• Credits - All raid triggers will now require a down payment of credits, there is currently no real credit sinks in the game, this would vary depending on the raid, but should scale, so raids like Troller should be in the 100’s of millions mark. This should help reignite the market channel as people would now require credits.

• Unique Items - Just like the feathers required for FB raids, all raids will require a unique item, these should be fairly rare and drop off difficult mobs. (boss mobs would have higher drop rates), for example, The mobs in Ardus, Roc, Primus Planet and BBW are prime candidates. The idea is to get the population to work together farming for items, to actually give a goal for a group of people.

• Faction Requirements - The missions to create the various Triggers could require a minimum required faction, this will mean players need to earn the right to be able to create Triggers, similar to getting access to the Bogeril Chillipopper mission.

• Ore - To ensure all classes are required to make a trigger, 1 stack of a high level ore will be required, this will help ignite the demand for ore and thus give miners a demand.

The main content that would be affected by this:-

• The raids that would require a trigger are:- Troller, GoBB, RD base.

• The Warder and Modi’s Child will also reqiure a trigger, but not on raid trigger difficulty, more like just requiring a unique item that needs farming from the mobs where they spawn.

• DT and the Mordana raids would be placed on the kill rate system (like they were in live).

Raid Trigger Reward

Since raid triggers would be far more difficult to create and require so many resources, the person who activates the raid with their trigger will receive a mission reward. Once the raid is completed and the mission completes, the raid activator will be given a choice of rewards from the end boss loot table! The Item will be 140% quality. This will mean that the raid activator will always get an item of loot, it will also create a demand for people to activate raids multiple times to get high quality loot. The idea is to ensure that raid activators 'always' walk away with something they want, but also ensure there is a reason to run content multiple times.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Funny...I saw this after I posted in the raid rotation forums.  I threw out the idea of tokens as well, definitely not as complete of an idea as yours.

I really like your suggestions, but I would maybe make them slightly less difficult so that casual players have the opportunity to experience some of this content.  I definitely don't want to spend my evenings away from the family farming constantly.  But, I am an older player now...I am not that same 17 year old who played many years ago. :)

You see all of the new major MMOs heading towards more casual style while offering more difficult options to the hardcore players.  Perhaps more difficult items to acquire afford you a higher chance at an item dropping such as the core?

Edited by Blackmercenary

My train of thought is that you can spend 20-30 minutes an evening here and there for a week or so as an individual player gathering parts so that you have enough parts to actually trigger a raid.

Hardcore players, or those working together in a guild (and that's a good portion of the player base right now tbh from what I'm seeing), will gather the parts significantly quicker and spawn raids on a regular basis anyway. With this system there will almost always be someone trying to get help with the raids they have triggers for, so there won't be a shortage of raids.