INV-301 error at login

Money's tight at the moment and right now I simply can't afford it.  It maybe different by the end of the month, but until things improve I'm going to have to read a book or something.  As for the obsolete outdated OS, it's like me I guess, I used XP for most of the time I was in the industry and can get it to do almost anything.  I love it because it's very easy to rip out all the bits that aren't needed to run the game and build a custom virtual machine that's only 5-6GB instead of having all the bloat wasting space.  So yes there's a point at which you just have to cut your losses and this seems as good a time as any.

I too have an old Windows XP install that seems to no longer be able to get into the game.   INV 300 errors at login. Looks like it might be the same issue.  

I keep it around because its my old box Iused to play on back in Live, and the AC tools and associated macros I wrote in AC tools seems to work best on it. I've done some porting effort for AC Tools on windows 7 but there's still issues.   This machine literally does nothing but E&B & AC tools.

So, are there no workarounds?

Looks like its time to go through the Linux/Wine Install thread in the tech support forum...

• Upvote 1

Guys (and Sage, since we already had this conversation I think).. as Zack notes above the whole Elliptic Curve and SSL/TLS thing.

Windows XP and Vista do not support these current and future certificates. It's simply no longer an option. People have clung to XP over 7 -- although personally as a sysadmin and such else in my day to day life this confuses me -- however, the time has passed where you can use it reliably. Since Microsoft stopped supporting XP on April 8 2014 and Server 2003 on July 15 2015, we can't really offer any kind of support. We must maintain the basic security of your connections and can't do this without using secure certificates. You'll also note that if you visit a site with an older certificate in your browser, at least with Internet Explorer anyway, you will see that the lock icon disappears for any cert not capable of these new algorithms. This is their way of allowing people some time to upgrade, and its already been extended several times, they're not going to do it again and this has already been established. (example: http://www.infoworld.com/article/3064654/security/tick-tock-time-is-running-out-to-move-from-sha-1-to-sha-2.html)

I understand not wanting to buy anything you don't *have* to or whatever, but this is at the highest levels of the organizations that establish these requirements. I'm sorry if you're upset, but there's nothing we can do about it.

Well it ain't as bad as I first suspected. When I walked into my local 'puter' shop they offered me Windows 7 or 10 for £125 ( or £50 cash for a Win7 product key sticker they'd peeled off an old box ). Finally bought a Win7 product key off eBay for £2 and it worked so I'm back :).   But in future if you're going to do stuff like this that totally breaks the game could we get a little advanced notice so we can prepare for it please?

eta:. Worst part is my Win7 virtual machine weighs in at over 40 GB where XP only used 6GB, when it's dedicated to running just one game it's a heinous waste of space.

Edited by Eden
add

12 minutes ago, Eden said:

But in future if you're going to do stuff like this that totally breaks the game could we get a little advanced notice so we can prepare for it please?

Obv. still some misunderstanding, so let me put it straight:

This has nothing to do with Net-7!

It's all about SSL layers, build into operating systems. Your OS is MICROSOFT.

Net-7 i ain't Microsoft (if it was, there wouldn't be a donation box on the forums entry page....)

Was going to check in this morning and discovered my computer was having this issue.  As there is no work around I might as well uninstall on this laptop.  Aside from the EA uninstall for the client and manually deleting the Net-7 folder, is there anything else needed for a full uninstall?

You can uninstall it, assuming you used the Universal installer from the appwiz.cpl (Add/Remove Programs), if you didn't you just have to remember where you put everything and delete it.

On 6/2/2017 at 0:55 PM, Eden said:

I love it because it's very easy to rip out all the bits that aren't needed to run the game and build a custom virtual machine that's only 5-6GB instead of having all the bloat wasting space.

Sorry to inject this somewhat off topic thought, but I figured this was worth mentioning to anyone running a VM:

Using VMWare Workstation 12 myself in my own full group configuration, I run 4x Windows 7 32bit OS's, on VM's. The key to not wasting disk space is to create 1 actual VM with an actual OS disk image. From there (After fully configuring said VM),   right-click on that VM, move to Manage, then select Clone. This will start the Clone wizard. Click next, and you will see that you can create a "Linked Clone" of the other. A linked clone allows you to make a copy of the VM created, that also uses the image of the original VM for OS on the cloned copy. It stores the differences in data to the cloned VM's directory/folder. The result is that it doesn't require another-second copy of the original disk image, as it uses the first as it's base source for it's OS data. (I repeat this on the second machine.)

Windows 7 also has the advantage of having a hardware accelerated desktop, compared to XP. I simply disable and uninstall everything that is unnecessary within the OS, and have little problem running 2 VM's on each of my 2 machines, which are also running clients in the main OS on each rig, giving me access to 6X ships at once, without the need to switch between them very often.

If you have gating issues or odd crashes, remember to go through your host computer's network config, turn off IPv6. If you have a newer motherboard with 2 Ethernet adapters, disable the VMWare bridge protocol on the first adapter, but leave it enabled on the second. Start the local client session, and make sure its using the 1st adapters IP in the launcher. This will keep the VM's on the second NIC, allowing you to dedicate the 1st to the group's driver. This helps a butt-load in terms of stability.

Hope this helps some people. Feel free to PM me if there are any further questions.