Getting 'locked up' in game.

Zarg

In the last week or so I and a number of other users have been seeing a lot of strange lockups in the game.  The symptoms are that the game instance stops taking input.  Can't target anything, can't move,  can't log out via escape menu / Quit options.     Interestingly you CAN send messages in various chat channels, but not see any of the responses.   If you're multiboxing you can see the chat messages sent from the stuck client.   Apparently if one waits long enough it sometimes recovers.   The surest resolution is to use /quit and log back into the game, or kill game process through task manager and log back in.   I thought at first it was most only  happening to idle game sessions, but it happens to active ones too with less frequency.

Ironically my game session just did the same lockup while I am writing this post.

Are the Devs aware of this and do we have a hope of a fix?   I have guild mates complaining it is disruptive enough in its frequency that it is making them not want to play.

• Upvote 1

I too have been experiencing this "feature" and it 1st appeared late on Sunday evening GMT and has gotten worse post Tuesdays server Maintenance Reboot. It's now at a point that one can only play solo and not Multi-Box/Multi-client for fear of dying or locking up in a raid etc. Something changed server side of that I am sure in fact its similar to what has previously been described in the forms when you had a Visual Studio C code conflict or something. I applaud your efforts as Dev's and GM's tirelessly giving your time to make our free time enjoyable. Please fix before Christmas if possible.

Running Win7 Pro and Win 10 Home and Pro (all 64bit) on clients

All the best,

The UK's ONLY YetiGBR :)

Edited by YetiGBR1
spelling mistake + Adding extra info

I have been experiencing this issue along with alot of my friends in the game.   You will be playing one minute and then you can no longer select anything or use your abilities.  You aren't able to see any mobs spawn and cannot loot corpses.  Everything becomes frozen essentially.  

• Upvote 1

This is the exact issue I'm experiencing and in the same time frame.  Sometimes I can go for an hour or so without issues, others I'll have this happen 5 times in 10 minutes.

Is there some logging we can do on our side that would be helpful when this occurs?

I've experienced all of these issues as well.  As Jalen said, I've gone over an hour without any issues, and I've also had it happen several times in 20 minutes.  It honestly makes me not want to play most parts of the game.

Thank you for all the work you do though.  You guys have done a great job of bringing this game back and improving on it.  I hate being critical of anything y'all have done to this point, but I really hope this is resolved soon.

I've been having the same problems as well.  I just assumed it was a problem with my wifi, but seeing others with the problems and knowing they're not on my network, I'm guessing it's something else

I will be investigating this over the weekend and next week folks. There may be some issues with the host systems, not clear yet.. but seeing it happen on them. If anyone doesn't mind (and knows how) please run Wireshark and collect a packet capture for me up until the point you crash/lock up, note the time and your time zone so that I can correlate to server system logs that would aid if there's a communication issue.

9 hours ago, Kyp said:

I will be investigating this over the weekend and next week folks. There may be some issues with the host systems, not clear yet.. but seeing it happen on them. If anyone doesn't mind (and knows how) please run Wireshark and collect a packet capture for me up until the point you crash/lock up, note the time and your time zone so that I can correlate to server system logs that would aid if there's a communication issue.

I'll kick one off this morning, but the issue can take hours sometimes to manifest so the cap will be rather large w/o a filter.  Additionally, the server is still accepting commands from the client, but it's not reflected clientside.  For instance, I was able to reset my avatar in the star base while "frozen" this morning.

Yesterday wasnt related, there was a problem with the backbone provider (Level 3). I was able to see, that there was a problem at one of their switches, i think they changed a faulty hardware part.

I saw pings like 1800ms when 120ms~ish is the standard for me (germany).

I noticed the last few weeks around midnight  (1130-1230 ish) i seem to have a lot of connectivity issues  lagging out freezing up when i talk to the NPC's and crashing when docking and undocking and gating.  I am curious  whet time does the server conduct maintenance routines, it almost reminds me of the Megan hour we used to have several years ago.

2 minutes ago, LoqutisX said:

Last night every time I gated, it locked up/froze couldn't select target to warp to nothing, had to terminate client due to not being able to logout.

This happened for the next 5 gates after which i just stopped playing.

Same thing I experienced.  It seems good to go now though..

Still having the same issues only it is more frequent AND happening to more of my clients (between 3-4) at any time. The freezes / lock-ups happen randomly over the 1-8 clients on separate PC's. I have checked my ISP for known issues but they were resolved before Christmas, I have noticed that there was significant lag on the USA core backbone routers when doing a "Tracert" to sunrise server.

It has now gotten to a point for me where it is not playable nor enjoyable, I used to tolerate the "ODD" hiccup but not every 10-30 minutes that is just plain unrealistic. I know you guys have worked tirelessly and professionally to bring us this EMU and keep it working let alone patched with content (Awesome job, please keep it up) but PLEASE, PLEASE sort these issues out :-)

Apologies for the whine, just utterly gutted I cannot play the BEST game atm.

Running Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10 Home and Pro on PC's all fully patched.

I have done all the usual checks for viruses/Trojans/hacks etc on the network at my location and they are all clean.

Hi YetiGBR,

Sorry we have not been able to find any sort of issue at the host, we also some some issues last week at the backbone level but hadn't had any other reports until now. As soon as I have some time available I've got some tweaks I'm going to try but I don't know that it will fix this. The issue is outside the scope of the game itself, unfortunately.

Hi Kyp,

Many thanks for the update, I figured it may be beyond the scope of the game as there was some really big lag times on the USA backbone. If I get a chance to sort out a isolated laptop I'll run several WireShark scans and see IF I can identify the offending router/switch.

Many thanks again and keep up the awesome work you and the team do.

YetiGBR the Insane :-)

C:\>tracert sunrise.net-7.org

Tracing route to sunrise.net-7.org [38.130.197.232]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    16 ms    26 ms    21 ms  10.213.80.1
  2    33 ms    20 ms    34 ms  midd-core-2a-xe-133-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.252.68.169]
  3     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5   133 ms    34 ms    47 ms  nrth-ic-1-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.218]
  6    42 ms    36 ms    49 ms  m674-mp2.cvx1-b.lis.dial.ntli.net [62.254.42.162]
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8   779 ms   118 ms    98 ms  us-nyc01b-rd2-ae9-0.aorta.net [84.116.140.170]
  9   216 ms   157 ms   149 ms  us-nyc01b-ri2-ae3-0.aorta.net [84.116.137.194]
 10   126 ms   103 ms   108 ms  lag-5.ear3.NewYork1.Level3.net [4.68.72.9]
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12   148 ms   165 ms   170 ms  HAMPTON-ROA.ear1.Miami1.Level3.net [4.30.20.86]
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15   146 ms   376 ms   284 ms  sunrise.net-7.org [38.130.197.232]
 16   157 ms   139 ms   144 ms  sunrise.net-7.org [38.130.197.232]

Trace complete.

Edited by YetiGBR1
Added TraceRT info