New server :cant login any toons

On 12/20/2016 at 3:34 AM, karu said:

Make sure you have correct internal IP on launcher selected

Yes I do have the correct IP on the server launch pad.

I'll restate the problem again. I can get to the game fine if I don't run my VPN.

IF I RUN MY VPN THEN, AND ONLY THEN, I GET Server failed to respond to Login attempt.

Do you understand the issue now? Sorry to be so curt but I think sometimes you read the posts too quickly and don't see the real problem that is reported. No VPN = success, with VPN = failure. I am using UDP on the VPN.

Do you need any more information on how I have the VPN set up?

EDIT: what do I need to check in the hosts file?

EDIT2: I found this in the hosts file located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#    127.0.0.1       localhost
#    ::1             localhost

Edited by Yazuly

21 minutes ago, Yazuly said:

Yes I do have the correct IP on the server launch pad.

I'll restate the problem again. I can get to the game fine if I don't run my VPN.

IF I RUN MY VPN THEN, AND ONLY THEN, I GET Server failed to respond to Login attempt.

Do you understand the issue now? Sorry to be so curt but I think sometimes you read the posts too quickly and don't see the real problem that is reported. No VPN = success, with VPN = failure. I am using UDP on the VPN.

Do you need any more information on how I have the VPN set up?

EDIT: what do I need to check in the hosts file?

EDIT2: I found this in the hosts file located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#    127.0.0.1       localhost
#    ::1             localhost

Nope, he's just going through common fixes to ensure that you've checked them. Sometimes it will be directed at the wrong IP after installation and this causes a network routing failure.

This will all depend on your VPN, do you have split tunneling configured? If not you have to make sure you have routes to the internet and thus our systems because you would be going through your VPN concentrator/firewall device instead of using your local DNS/gateway for internet related activity. Honestly it sounds like it's not configured as a split tunnel and you don't have routes easily accessible to the internet.

Try connecting to VPN then doing a traceroute to sunrise.net-7.org and patch.net-7.org and post the results. I'm suspecting it is simply timing out trying to reach out. If so that would point at a configuration issue on the VPN. I say all this because I recently experienced the same kind of issue with some of our services during the server move and realized that I'd been routing through our firewall device for internet traffic and that's where it was going south. After I configured and enabled it as a split tunnel it began working normally.

16 hours ago, Yazuly said:

Gaming (UDP) over a VPN line is not working without some special configuration on the VPN server.

Hints:
Gateway Route pushed?
Internal IP4 forwarding enabled?
Access behind the virtual VPN IP allowed (so called "inter client connect")

Here is screen shot with VPN disconnected (this is my main PC not to be confused with the PC I will discuss later). With VPN disconnect I can login no problem. I'm assuming this is the correct IP on launcher screen as it is the only one available.Launcher Sscreen VPN disconnected and this works.png

I have to admit I'm a little lost with Kyp's explanation on the VPN (I'll have to google some things to get more educated). Obviously since I can login in without the VPN running it must be the VPN having the issue. I tried different cites and different 'public' IP addresses and no luck there. Maybe a firewall issue? - I ask that because of issue I'll discuss on another PC at end.

The other thought I have, while writing this, is maybe I need to somehow add the 'public' IP (on the screen shot that would be 104.223.94.218)?

PART2:

Just to confuse the situation further I have another PC I use as a test PC. It is pretty plain vanilla Win10, no VPN, not much in other software. I got the same error message about login server failure. But on that PC's launcher screen I have a choice of 3 different IPs (all different from the VPN PC's launcher screen). First two did not work (192.168.40.1 and 192.168.65.1). The local IP  that did work is 192.168.1.101 which if I remember correctly is probably that PC on the network? When I selected that IP from the drop down I got a message saying Windows firewall was blocking. Once I allowed it through the firewall it worked. I did not include a SS of that PC's launcher because I didn't want to add more confusion. I will attach that if requested.

Worst case I can also use the test PC to play if I don't want to drop the VPN on the main PC. So there are workarounds on my end. But I really like to understand what is not configured correctly using the VPN. I can connect to others games with it.

Thanks for the continued help and patience on this.

Edited by Yazuly
Corrected typos and grammer

Problem Solved. Kyp was right about the local IP not being correct. Attached is the screen shot that works. There was another IP address available on the drop down when the VPN is connected. That matched the 'local IP' displayed by the VPN when the VPN was connected.

Launcer Screen VPN Works.png

Chalk it up to a very embarrassing SUE (Stupid User Error).

Oh dang, only one Port?

Try to enter like this:
3500-4000   or    3500:4000

If both are not working, i would consider a new router.
TP Link is great - it's network stuff for a lower budget (WiFI Router, USB Dongles, Range extender etc.)

If it comes to detailed firewall rules, there are better products.
Since you need a router with an ADSL2+ modem built in, another choice would be Fritzbox or the Zyxel Speedlink 5501 or even an older (used) Linksys WRT54g with a DDRT Firmware.

PS.:

Unmatched condition only means:
"If this rule is not applying to the current incoming packet, go to the next rule" - which is the "Forward" choice for "unmatched rule".

That would be the default selection.

10 minutes ago, Proconsul Janwarrior said:

How can I BTW get rid of uploaded content?

You cant. It stored on the Forum server.

10 minutes ago, Proconsul Janwarrior said:

If I put in the stuff, with port don't care (0), then Net-7 appears as OFFLINE...

I can only give limited advise without having the router in front of me. I also dont use/own this router myself so my tipps are of theoretical nature, you need to find out the correct configuration. It could be, the rules are correct but the router has a misconfiguration at a different setting point.

Generally:
Two way to enable correct NAT:
"Port forwarding (UDP packet from <xxx> on port <xxxx-yyyy> are forwarded to internal machine <xxxx> on ports <xxxx-yyyy>

or (easier/better)
"Full NAT and masquerading" <- needs more network knowledge but will lead to a flawless configured firewall functionality.

PS:
You might want to cosider calling a friend who really KNOWS router configuration and might help you here.

2 minutes ago, Proconsul Janwarrior said:

I started to work with Personal Computers back in 1985...

I dont doubt and my previous posting wasn't meant to offend.
On the other hand, i know a lot of people "working with computers" for a long time - that doesn't necessarily means they can handle network/firewall configuration.

It was a general suggestion to call some1 in - without any personal "skill judging".

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

...because the VPN Machine is acting as a "proxy" now - and obv. the network configuration is setup correct as "full nat".

Basically this is indicating that your local network configuration is not full nat'ted.

• Upvote 2

• 9 months later...
On 31/12/2016 at 9:06 PM, Yazuly said:

Problem Solved. Kyp was right about the local IP not being correct. Attached is the screen shot that works. There was another IP address available on the drop down when the VPN is connected. That matched the 'local IP' displayed by the VPN when the VPN was connected.

Launcer Screen VPN Works.png

Chalk it up to a very embarrassing SUE (Stupid User Error).

Damn! DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN !!1!!!111!!ONE!!!11!!ELEVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!!!ONE!!!

I've been sitting here trying everything I could think of for months trying to get past the " Server Failed to respond to Login attempt " BS error caption. Every godamn thing except checking the local IP address drop down. Never had to look at that before. Clicked on it and saw the network IP address for my PC so selected that and DAMN THING FRIGGING WORKS AFTER MONTHS OF PISSING AROUND!!!

I'm so damned angry and yet so damned happy to be able to log in again.....